Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Black Sabbath - 1970 (Paranoid)

Genre - Heavy Metal

Black Sabbath is known universally to the music world as heavy metal's first band. The band was originally called Earth and had a more blues like feel to them. Later on they decided to change their name and style pretty much all together. The band got their new name after seeing a movie at a theatre across the street from the studio called Black Sabbath. Bassist Geezer Butler stated "Strange that people spend money to see scary movies". Other words why are you paying to see something that will scare you? The band's style changed darker and was unique and different from the majority of things one might have heard in the 1960s. Black Sabbath released their self-titled album Black Sabbath in early 1970, that same year later on the band released the album I will be reviewing in this thread known as Paranoid.

War Pigs - The album itself was originally suppose to be called War Pigs, however the Warner label decided to changed the name due to the album name being critical of the Vietnam War. This has to be my favorite Black Sabbath song it is just freaking cool. Luke's Wall is the name of the cool introduction with some nice guitar riffs and melodic bass playing. War Pigs officially starts once Ozzy Osbourne sings. The verses for this track are simple two-chord verses yet they sound so good. The drum fills by Bill Ward shine on throughout the verse, they're some nice fast fills here. Another enjoyable area on this track is Tony Iommi's solo. This track is a killer way to open up the album. 10/10

Paranoid - This would be the first song released as a single off of this album. The song was written in the studio at the last minute because the album did have enough songs. The band often describes this song as filler, if this is filler it is rather enjoyable to say the least. The lyrics deal about a man who is never happy and can not enjoy life, he is paranoid. The verses on this track are pretty boring but the lyrics are pretty good they even out to say the least. The song has a solo that is enjoyable but nothing amazing, some people love this song a lot but how can they love it among some other godly Sabbath songs? Anyway Paranoid is enjoyable filler. 7/10

Planet Caravan - Up next is the band's attempt at a song of the psychedelic rock genre. This song is very relaxing and is one I like to sleep to as well. The drumming here is slowed down to feel the soothing mood of the track, Geezer plays some nice bass line. Ozzy's voice on this song is lower and tuned down too. Throughout the song the rhythm section does not change at all, however this makes it easy to listen to. The highlight of this track is Tony's jazzy like solo. Planet Caravan is an example that Black Sabbath can make peaceful songs and have them actually sound good too. 10/10

Iron Man - Who doesn't know this song? If you have never heard this song you were born on Antarctica and left there to die. Iron Man has like the most famous riff of all time! The intro is just killer with the guitar and bass drum. The verses here are the main riff repeated with some more cool riffing. The guitar gets so much attention on this track people tend to forget about the awesome bass here. The whole time to awesome guitar solo is done here, the bass is playing too. The outro is cool with a one note bass line and another cool and creepy riff, another strong point of the album. 8/10

Electric Funeral - Electric Funeral continues the same war like lyrics like that of War Pigs. Describing politicians as a robots controlling the minds of men. The guitar work here is just eerie and cool and Ozzy's voice sounds like that as well. Electric Funeral is a rather freaky song and overall this another great work of the album and one of my favorite Black Sabbath songs. 10/10

Hand of Doom - A song about drugs! First thing noticeable about Hand of Doom is the cool bass playing that leaves you feeling satisfied already. The guitar comes roaring in along with the continued bass playing, the song uses some cool dynamics too. The choruses for this song as well as the bridges are just built with power. The following riff is faster and cooler than the riff in the choruses and bridges, there is even a nice little solo soon. Another great song that flows well with the album. 10/10

Rat Salad - This instrumental track is Bill Ward's shining moment. Led Zeppelin has Moby Dick and Black Sabbath has something called Rat Salad. This is a cool rocking song with some sweet heavy riffs that are centered around Bill's drum solo. As you can tell by this track Bill can write some awesome drum fills. This is a cool drum solo without being too flashy, overall something enjoyable. 8.5/10

Fairies Wear Boots - Fairies Wear Boots oh my! I'll admit I find the title for this song to be corny and something I think the likes of a four year old girl would think of, however don't let the title fool you this is one of the best songs on this great album. The intro for this song starts mellow and then turns into a riff fest similar to War Pigs. Once again Geezer Butler shows why he is an awesome bassist on this track. The lyrics seem to deal with tripping on that "stuff", the guitar solo is awesome, the drum fills are crazy nice too. A good choice to end an awesome album. 10/10

Overall -
Each member in Black Sabbath on this album have incredible talent. Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward are all incredibly talented on their instruments. Although Ozzy Osbourne is not the most talented vocalist he is just out there and adds the dark feel and tone of the band. Paranoid is an album that has aged well over the years and still sounds great as it did back in 1970.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
their eponymous debut was the iconic birthplace of traditional doom metal. paranoid treads over the same area, but is nowhere near as groundbreaking. while paranoid isn't "bad" or anything, it suffers from overexposure. people hang on to this for the same reason they listen to master of puppets and other 70s/80s popular metal releases that are really nothing more than gateway albums.

i'd normally say that rating albums by individual songs is a useless way to rate music, but paranoid really isn't fluent like their s/t is. it's a collection of songs -- some good and some filler.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Good album, not great, I live the first one a lot better but there are some timeless classics on this one. Hand of Doom is my favorite off this one, such a good mid section, I love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)