Serious boston marathon bombing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Some questions, as starting points for serious discussion, from a thread on another forum I frequent.

What could it have been that allowed this tragedy to occur?
Honestly, I think several factors played heavily into allowing this tragedy to occur. Firstly, this appears to be an extremely low level, low key plot. Our government does a fantastic job infiltrating Al Qaeda, determining what they're going to do next, and thwarting it before it becomes serious. But from everything I've read, this does not appear to be an Al Qaeda sponsored plot. It just seems to be two (or some have argued one) kids who for whatever reason decided to do this. No help from the outside. There's not much our government could do in such a case, unless they literally wiretap and monitor every single phone call, every single text, every single email, have a drone listen in on every conversation on every street corner and in every house. It's just not feasible.

Secondly, I think that the grand scale of the marathon played a part. There were so many people there of all races and ethnicities. People were running. They were supposed to be running. People were walking about. They were all supposed to be walking about. People were shouting. They were supposed to be shouting. It was a very big, very distracting event.

Thirdly, I think the race and ethnicity of these boys played a factor. I know this is going to sound racist, and arguably it is, but this is the reality we live in. Should a brown skinned, turban wearing Muslim have walked through that crowd, dropped a backpack, and left people would have been calling 911, if not taking the law into their own hands right there on the spot. But these were two, light skinned, athletic, attractive, smiling young men. America is a pretty accommodating place if you fit that bill. "Oh, you want to set your bag down? You must be tired. I'll keep an eye on it for you. Have fun!"

What do you think about the FBI's crowdsourcing efforts in gathering information, photos, and videos on the bombing?

I have always been a fan of this kind of crime fighting crowdsourcing. I watch America's Most Wanted religiously. It's kind of like playing the lottery for me. I would just love to one day be the lucky one to spot someone from an episode, and be the person to alert the authorities so they can catch them and put them to justice! But this is a unique case. Most often, when the authorities put out information and seek information from the public it takes weeks or months or even years to generate solid leads. The information is still hit or miss, but in this case these boys were spotted by someone looking over footage of a gas station robbery that didn't even involve them. And then, a very brave homeowner spotted something amiss with his boat, investigated, saw what he knew must be the remaining suspect, and alerted authorities. Honestly, I really don't know what it was that made the public react the way it did, so fast, and so passionately. But I for one am very heartened and inspired. This method works. And it could work this spectacularly more often, should the public become as passionate and involved as they were in this case. Boston definitely was a tragedy, but there are tragedies every day. And the people involved in those "little" tragedies would appreciate your help just as much as those 130+ Boston victims.

Is a new sense of fear overreacting?
I definitely think so. Life is not worth living if you're living it in fear. I personally would rather die happy, of some random, unknowable, unavoidable event, than to live my life miserably, constantly in fear, and then probably die the same way. I can see why people would become more afraid. But I don't think we ought to allow ourselves to become overwhelmed and defined by that, what should be temporary, emotion. And in my personal estimation, the media sources that I've read and watched and listened to have surprisingly not done a terrible job concerning this. It would be easy for them to print in the headlines "FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! HIDE IN YOUR HOMES! HE'S OUT TO GET YOU!" That actually probably would sell. But they seem to have done a pretty good job of being realistic about this. This was two boys with thousands upon thousands of federal agents working feverishly to find and apprehend them and keep the public safe.

What do you think this ordeal means for the war on Terrorism?
If my assumption is correct, that this was homegrown, not affiliated with Al Qaeda, just two "lone wolves", I hope this will awaken a realization that Americans, immigrated or natural born, are just as likely to be terrorists as that brown skinned guy who works the register at the gas station. There's this sickening racism that every American citizen has been infected with since September 11th, 2001. Brown skin means terrorism. It does not mean terrorism any more than any other skin color. The middle east does not hold a monopoly on terrorism. Terrorism is a human condition, it is not a middle eastern condition. I hope this changes the way the public views people of middle eastern ethnicity, and terrorism in general.

What do you think was the motivation for this attack?Anything I could say right now would be speculation. The boys' uncle speculated it was because they weren't being as successful as they thought they should be, and because they weren't fitting in as well as they thought they should be. But honestly, even that is speculation. We'll should know eventually. I have the feeling that this young man is going to talk. I could be wrong, but he just doesn't look like the hardened type who won't speak.

What does this attack, and the subsequent shootings and lockdown mean to the gun debate?There have been many people who have reasonably suggested that this event is an example of why ordinary people don't need guns. I would argue that this even is an example of why ordinary people do need guns. What would have happened if Dzhokhar had been more healthy when he broke onto that man's property? What if it had been your property? Would you rather face a "crazy", "irrational", "fearing for his life", "nothing left to live for", armed and dangerous fugitive with or without a gun to protect yourself? Me personally, I would rather take my chances with a gun while on my property. I would rather die defending my family in such a circumstance than cower as my family is executed. I think this whole ordeal reminds us that crazy, irrational people do exist, and they do threaten people. That's one of the foundational pillars of the gun ownership argument.

How has the unusual speediness of capture affected your view of law enforcement?The authorities involved were fantastic, marvelous, commendable, ... I just don't even know how to thank them enough! As a society we often joke about "fat cops eating doughnuts and slacking off". It's a media meme. But in reality, the vast majority of these guys are sweating their balls off keeping us safe. I think every single authority involved (and yes that includes the President I so often disagree with) deserves respect and thanks for their part in this case.

Do you think this attack will change American's views on Chechnya, and Russia in general?I wish it wouldn't, but I fear it will. As much attention as this story has garnered, I do fear that anyone with that trademark nose and cheekbones and eyes is going to be looked at with more suspicion than before. We saw it back in the cold war in America; discrimination against anyone who appeared to be Russian. It wouldn't surprise me if it revived in America now.

Any takers?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Chances are that this stunt was performed for one of two reasons:

-To bring the Chechnyan Separatist cause back to the spotlight
-Random act of terror

I would be very surprised if they weren't Muslims, but I don't buy in to any religious motivation in this case.
First of all, this wasn't a stunt. This was a murderous bombing that killed four and injured well over 100.

Second, this has nothing to do with Chechenyan separatism. Even the Chechenyan president said “Any attempt to draw a connection between Chechnya and Tsarnaevs — if they are guilty — is futile” and "look for the roots of evil in America." If this were some Chechenya rah rah rah kind of thing he wouldn't have done that.

Finally, you may not "buy into" the news these guys were Jihadists but there it is. Both were linking to radical al-Queda linked imams, and Tamerlan required his girlfriend (who he apparently had a domestic violence incident with) and his wife to submit convert to Islam, and in general has Jihad written all over his life for the past several years. Tamerlan was "very religious" per his own words.

EDIT: Responding to Mattj:

It's the Jihad, not the skin color.

You are correct in saying that brown skin does not equal terrorism, but the fact is these two guys fit the perp profile of every major terrorist attack plotted in the last decade and a half: Muslim males between 18-40. Want to know who is most likely to commit a terrorist attack? It's not the Swedish grandma with a metal hip. It's not the sinister whining 3-year old. It's not the gigantic, surly looking black Protestant guy. It's Muslim males aged between 18-40 - especially those who are devout and seek radical education from Middle Eastern imams.

So while the perpetrator may or may not be brown-skinned, the fact is the terror ties back to those people, and the fact is their nations cheer when Americans get blown up. I know we have some Muslim Smogoners, suffice it to say while it may suck you get wrapped up on this - and I get that if you stand up to it in your community these nutcases are going to Fatwa you and threaten your family - that's just the way it is.

Methodology of Capture:
As far as the method for catching them, I have great concern they essentially imposed a modified version of Martial Law on a major US City. If the goal of terrorism is to disrupt society for maximum political influence, you can't get much better than shutting a city down over a bombing followed by a cop shooting and carjacking. Even if the people weren't terrified, they managed to get our government officials (our weakest link) to act in that way. I brought it up on my own Facebook page yesterday and said it was probably premature at the time - but it is an unprecedented large-scale police action and should be discussed.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Finally, you may not "buy into" the news these guys were Jihadists but there it is. Both were linking to radical al-Queda linked imams, and Tamerlan required his girlfriend (who he apparently had a domestic violence incident with) and his wife to submit convert to Islam, and in general has Jihad written all over his life for the past several years. Tamerlan was "very religious" per his own words.
Respectfully, I don't see how any of those things would make any person "quote-unquote-a-jihadist".

On the younger brother's web page he said a few words about Chechnyan independence. Lots of people support Chechnyan independence, and are not jihadist terrorists.

A youtube account that may, or may not, have been used by the older brother watched videos of imams who have at times called for violence. I have seen no evidence that the videos he watched called for violence. Many people don't realize that many of the most popular, peaceful audio sermons and devotionals were recorded by imams that have at other times advocated horrible violence. Are all of those people jihadist terrorists?

Many people are interviewed by the FBI, and released after finding no links to terrorism mind you. Are those people all jihadist terrorists?

And what would demanding that your girlfriend convert to your religion have to do with being a jihadist?

So far I have literally seen nothing to link these two young men with Al Qaeda, or the war on terrorism beyond the fact that they happen to have been raised Muslim. Personally, that's a pretty weak link for me.

[edit @DK's edits]

I'll admit that these two boys could have been jihadists. And I can see how they could fit the profile. But for me personally, I just don't see enough evidence yet.

OK seriously Deck your just spewing trash at this point, I find laughable that when people convert to Judaism for their husbands it's OK but when a wife does it for a Muslim she's submitting or forced or whatever.

Want to know who is most likely to commit a terrorist attack?
Those who are indoctrined into extremist violent groups and/or have mental issues relating to depression and rage? Unless of course someone wants to convince me Breiviek and the last 5 American school shootouts had to do with any Muslim aged 18-40. Ridiculous.

To answer mattjs questions a little.

What could it have been that allowed this tragedy to occur?
- Lots of people, smallish area, focus directed on an event. Realistically you can't prevent all terrorist attacks, short of pissing away all freedom anyway.

What do you think about the FBI's crowdsourcing efforts in gathering information, photos, and videos on the bombing?
- Some good some bad, glad it worked out, do see some potential for vigilantism and mob rule here (which is why I suspect the Saudi national was held by the police actually -- basically for his own protection).

Is a new sense of fear overreacting?
- Yes. You're more likely to die or get seriously injured getting in your car and driving to work than from a terrorist attack.

What do you think this ordeal means for the war on Terrorism?
- Hopefully very little, engaging in a war on a concept is full blown retarded. Even if they were supported by some Chechnya based terrorist group the US isn't going to be sending the military into Russia.

What do you think was the motivation for this attack?
- Could be any of a number of reasons, the obvious 3 being; Chechen separatism, Islamic fundamentalism, or just plain old lunatics who want to hurt people.

What does this attack, and the subsequent shootings and lockdown mean to the gun debate?
- Doubt it will change any views that are strongly held, might flip some people who are on the fence in either direction depending how the weapons were acquired.

How has the unusual speediness of capture affected your view of law enforcement?
- I don't see why it's unusual, so not really. Lots of footage, lots of manpower, inept suspects (assuming these guys even did the actual bombing) -- should be a fairly easy target.

Do you think this attack will change American's views on Chechnya, and Russia in general?
- I'd hope most American's would be smart enough to actually look into the situation in Chechnya, and see why that whole region has gone batshit radical in the last 20 years.

Have you ever noticed how most terrorists come from oppressed peoples?

Most Chechens want independence from Russia for a damn good reason -- given how badly the USSR and Russian Federation brutalised the people there, I can see why they don't want to be part of a state with an ethnic Russian majority, and realistically Russia is holding onto Chechnya (and Dagestan, which is next door and a similar situation) because of the oil reserves in the Caspian.

You are correct in saying that brown skin does not equal terrorism, but the fact is these two guys fit the perp profile of every major terrorist attack plotted in the last decade and a half: Muslim males between 18-40. Want to know who is most likely to commit a terrorist attack? It's not the Swedish grandma with a metal hip. It's not the sinister whining 3-year old. It's not the gigantic, surly looking black Protestant guy. It's Muslim males aged between 18-40 - especially those who are devout and seek radical education from Middle Eastern imams.

So while the perpetrator may or may not be brown-skinned, the fact is the terror ties back to those people, and the fact is their nations cheer when Americans get blown up. I know we have some Muslim Smogoners, suffice it to say while it may suck you get wrapped up on this - and I get that if you stand up to it in your community these nutcases are going to Fatwa you and threaten your family - that's just the way it is.

Methodology of Capture:
As far as the method for catching them, I have great concern they essentially imposed a modified version of Martial Law on a major US City. If the goal of terrorism is to disrupt society for maximum political influence, you can't get much better than shutting a city down over a bombing followed by a cop shooting and carjacking. Even if the people weren't terrified, they managed to get our government officials (our weakest link) to act in that way. I brought it up on my own Facebook page yesterday and said it was probably premature at the time - but it is an unprecedented large-scale police action and should be discussed.
At the same time, there are millions of Muslims aged 18-40 who don't plant bombs at marathons or hijack planes. Singling out 1 ethnic group and saying they're the cause of all terrorist attacks is profiling at best and outright racist at worst. I don't recall the Unabomber or Timothy McVay being Muslim.

I don't think your worries about the police response are reasonable; we've already decided to let airport officials look at x ray pictures of our genitals and our representatives just voted to allow the government to demand private information from websites without a warrant. When you compare those two things with the Boston response, it sounds like the most reasonable thing we've done in a while.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I agree with DK on the Martial Law part. I realize the severity of the situation, but I don't think that justified suspending the rights of millions of law abiding citizens.

First of all, this wasn't a stunt. This was a murderous bombing that killed four and injured well over 100.

Second, this has nothing to do with Chechenyan separatism. Even the Chechenyan president said “Any attempt to draw a connection between Chechnya and Tsarnaevs — if they are guilty — is futile” and "look for the roots of evil in America." If this were some Chechenya rah rah rah kind of thing he wouldn't have done that.

EDIT: Responding to Mattj:

Yeah pretty much none of those links definitely prove that he is a Jihadist. In fact one of those links refers to my Chechen independence claim lol. Also, if by nations you mean only some people in Palestine, then sure. If you struggled as much as they do, you would celebrate too.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cauterized wound maybe? Burned woulds more than "slicing" through his leg?

Kind of crazy how they kept saying they're throwing "signals" everywhere. A guy puts on his sunglasses, that's a sign. A woman looks at this guy, that's a sign. It's all a conspiracy!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
"The human body has 5-6 liters of blood"

And even losing a fraction of that will kill you. You need to stop or slow the bleeding, in which case it would not be all over the place, especially given that the person in the picture is currently being moved (and not where he was initially bleeding, where blood was all over the place). People have survived losing limbs before, including some of the ~140 injured.

There's a bit of fridge logic for the truthers out there; Are they all supposed to be actors? In a yearly public event, how was it ensured that only actors were in the blast radius? How were "actors" tactically covered up by every camera angle? Was everyone in the audience who could possibly have cameras in on it? If only this man or a select few are actors, who thought they really needed one actor among many injured and dead just to really sell it?

Shit like this and the "fire can't melt steel" just reminds me of this clip.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
the only thing unsettling from those pictures is when the sunglasses/hoodie dude looks way too relaxed chilling on the pavement in the midst of everything going on

still, i don't understand how you can "stage" all this bull shit and not also be responsible for the entire bombing in the first place. it's not like it can be coincidental that a bomb goes off and you're also ready to feign serious injuries in the same location, same point in time etc. kinda dumb!!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If you're willing to bomb "your own" marathon, why would you even want to engage actors too? I mean, wouldn't the public on the scene create a pretty convincing display anyway, because the bomb actually hurt them?

I sometimes seriously question the logic of those conspiracy-nutjobs. If the government wants to impose martial law and oppress the population or whatever, why the heck would they be so nice as to only stage a bombing, involving dozens of actors, faking of death and injury, but no actual death and injury? Deliberately invoking a great risk of somebody revealing the plan? If the government is as oppressive as they are made out to be, they would have no qualms of actually bombing the marathon, and have the very real injuries speak for themselves. No need to involve actors who know about your scheme.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I guess it's time to come clean. All of my posts feigning concern in this thread were all paid for by the Buildaberg Group and directed by Obama himself.

Here's a picture of me and my handler going over the script of what I was supposed to post. Note the dark sunglasses for extra shadiness.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Wait, are you asking me to explain why that man isn't an actor?

Are you seriously asking me that?

https://www.google.com/news?ncl=dTt...st+both+legs+boston+marathon&lr=English&hl=en

[edit]

Oh, I'm sorry. Here's this smoky, chaotic picture where we can't make out what's going on. He's switching out his realistic prosthetic legs that he just ran the race with with gory injured looking prosthetics because I say he is. Oh, and because he's in a hoody. We all know people in hoodies are up to no good.

And seriously guys, look at how stiff this flag is.

Can't possibly be real.

There's a difference between arguing against someone's opinion and laughing at it because "it's a conspiracy" or "this clearly didn't happen."

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
There's a difference between arguing against someone's opinion and laughing at it because "it's a conspiracy" or "this clearly didn't happen."
I'm laughing at it because we all saw it happen and anyone who claims it is a conspiracy is either a sick vulture or needs to be institutionalized. Which are you Faint?

Here's a more convincing cracpot theory:

He's actually not who he and his family and friends say he is. He's this other guy who doesn't say he's that guy. Makes perfect sense when you're mentally unstable.

I'm laughing at it because we all saw it happen and anyone who claims it is a conspiracy is either a sick vulture or needs to be institutionalized. Which are you Faint?
The only photos I saw of this man were the ones in the wheelchair, so apparently you were wrong thinking everyone saw it. But can you write me a convincing argument proving that his wounds are real? It'd be nice to see considering you've yet you show me anything proving his theory wrong.

I never said I believed what I read. You assume I do because I asked you to prove him wrong.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
That won't happen so it can't possibly be true macle.

But can you write me a convincing argument proving that his wounds are real? It'd be nice to see considering you've yet you show me anything proving his theory wrong.
And i haven't seen a convincing argument proving that his wounds aren't real. Do you seriously believe every web page that shows a confusing picture and makes an insane claim?

This is an obvious picture that the former Bush administration set it all up. I mean, just look at that circle. It must be Bush Administration actors. It couldn't be anything else.

p r o v e m e w r o n g

I really wasn't planning on getting involved in this thread... but... people have survived simultaneous triple amputations before back in the 1800s, I'm pretty sure some people can also survive double amputations. What's more likely, that almost everyone involved was an actor pretending to have bloody wounds and that no explosion happened despite the footage, or that... you know, a bomb went off and people were wounded and/or killed by it?

Definitely a plot by Obamush and his reptilian cronies, that's the more logical answer. PROVE ME WRONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)