Serious boston marathon bombing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I live and work 40 miles south of Boston, and had work today so I was nowhere near the area. Great Sage is probably the person in closest proximity, but if the feds are jamming communications then he might not be able to post. My father is a HAM Radio operator and he said they might be jamming cell phones so that the suspect can't contact outsiders to lift him out.

I've seen a few of the images. A lot of blood on the ground and reports of about a dozen dead.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Deck Knight,

Cellular phones being down was a result of a traffic overflow and not jamming measures, that they were being taken down was just something that spread through social media (also me).

Also Great Sage is fine, I'm not sure about DM though.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, from the BBC live reporting...

"2315:
Officials with mobile telephone carriers Verizon and Sprint said they had received no requests from authorities to shut down service in the Boston area, contradicting earlier reports.
'Minus some mild call blocking on our Boston network due to increased traffic, our service is operating normally,' Sprint spokeswoman Crystal Davis told the Associated Press."

You'd think if it was international terrorism someone would have claimed responsibility by now, but well there's no knowing until we get more information, I suppose.

Still, it makes me sick that people can do this to other people they don't know.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Wow this is just awful... my prayers out to those in the Boston area. I can't believe people would do these kinds of things... :(

I go to Northeastern University, this is pretty scary. I'm actually trying to avoid the "updates," because there's so much false information and speculation. I think it's probably better to just wait for more accurate information before jumping to any conclusions.

It is pretty sad that people will do things like this though.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I live and work 40 miles south of Boston, and had work today so I was nowhere near the area. Great Sage is probably the person in closest proximity, but if the feds are jamming communications then he might not be able to post. My father is a HAM Radio operator and he said they might be jamming cell phones so that the suspect can't contact outsiders to lift him out.

I've seen a few of the images. A lot of blood on the ground and reports of about a dozen dead.
GS and his family are a-ok

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'm actually trying to avoid the "updates," because there's so much false information and speculation. I think it's probably better to just wait for more accurate information before jumping to any conclusions.
You are a smart man. We won't know anything for days. Most of the information puked out by the media in an attempt to be the first to report is going to be garbage. If you really want any accurate information check back tomorrow.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow. I'm stunned. I don't even know what to say besides "My prayers go out to the families in Boston affected by this."

You are a smart man. We won't know anything for days. Most of the information puked out by the media in an attempt to be the first to report is going to be garbage. If you really want any accurate information check back tomorrow.
Probably the best plan. If you have relatives, just make sure they're ok, and wait until things have settled down some so that we don't make kneejerk reactions.

I hope not. Tbh my first instinct was North Korea seeing as it is Kim Il Sung's birthday, but it's still an unlikely scenario.

Not sure how significant this is, but there is a person walking on the roof in the tip left.

Also, I don't think Al-quaeda had anything to do with this one. I feel like they are capablr of much more damage than this, also the attack wasn't even at the busiest time from what I've read.

Not sure how significant this is, but there is a person walking on the roof in the tip left.

Also, I don't think Al-quaeda had anything to do with this one. I feel like they are capablr of much more damage than this, also the attack wasn't even at the busiest time from what I've read.
This is a big deal to a lot of people in Boston. It could be anyone watching from the roof / security / etc. Don't look into it too much.

My prayers go out to the victims.
A tragedy ;-;

I don't really know if its Middle East related. I don't believe it's North Korean related like I heard someone theorized. Most likely I think it was domestic.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm fine. I came home to Buffalo yesterday. Chalkey was right there, but thankfully he is okay as well.

I've contacted everyone I know in the area, everyone is okay. Some were too close for comfort.

Like others have said, do not share information without having a credible source. Rumors are just that.

Why? Just... why?

I think one of my friends live in Boston, I saw that he was online on another forum a few minutes ago but...

This news makes me sad, I have some family in Boston (but they're fine thankfully)

I just have a question regarding the rules of this forum though. A couple months ago, I wanted to make a thread regarding the Connecticut shooting, as did many others, but I was told that there was "no discussion value". I even made a thread saying how it should be discussed:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3476014

Just wondering, are these kind of threads allowed now?

Who ever did this deserves not to die, but tortured.
knowing our government's thing for torture (guantanamo is still open after Obama promised to close it), be careful what you wish for

That being said, bombing the end of a marathon is kind of a dick move, and I hope that this doesn't cause any problems at future long distance events. Sure, it's important to secure sports events in regular stadiums because of the enclosed environment which is much more conducive to an explosion, and marathons deserve their share of security as well, but realistically there is no way to defend all 26 miles of a marathon course unless they're just running laps around a 1 mile track or something.

Waiting for more information before I comment further, but we now know that there were 2 bombs that detonated, possibly more that didn't go off, and the JFK Library incident was unrelated.

Yep, It could encourage more torture punishments. But, the guy who does something like that deserves a worse treatment. In jail with 2-47 torture. Sounds really stupid to you, but I have that suggestion in my mind. Dismembered body parts? Injurys? Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)