Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
CAP 10 - Part 13 - Sprite Poll 1

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Name: Krilowatt
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Ability: Trace
Ability: Magic Guard
Movepool:
Level-Up:
H Night Slash
H Sand Tomb
– Bubble
– Charge
10. Spark
12. Detect
15. Copycat
19. Aqua Jet
24. Discharge
30. Imprison
37. Confuse Ray
43. Haze
48. Guillotine
52. Perish Song
55. Heart Swap
57. Zap Cannon

TMs/HMs:
TM02 - Dragon Claw
TM03 - Water Pulse
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM23 - Iron Tail
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM29 – Psychic
TM31 – Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM34 - Shock Wave
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM43 - Secret Power
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM49 - Snatch
TM50 - Overheat
TM54 - False Swipe
TM55 - Brine
TM56 - Fling
TM58 - Endure
TM66 - Payback
TM67 - Recycle
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM72 - Avalanche
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 – Captivate
TM79 – Dark Pulse
TM81 – X-Scissor
TM82 - Sleep Talk
TM83 - Natural Gift
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Pluck
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
HM01 - Cut
HM03 - Surf
HM05 - Whirlpool
HM06 - Rock Smash
HM07 - Waterfall
HM08 - Rock Climb

Egg Move Stuff:

Egg Groups:
Water 1
Fairy

Moves
Ice Shard - Lapras, Seel, Dewgong, Snorunt, Glalie, Froslass
Mirror Coat – Corsola, Squirtle*, Wartortle*, Blastoise*
Counter – Breloom, Squirtle (3), Wartortle (3), Blastoise (3)
Mind Reader – Breloom, Poliwrath
Draco Meteor – Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Kingdra
Sheer Cold – Lapras, Glalie
Poison Fang - Mawile
Flail - Feebas
Follow Me - Clefairy, Clefable
Metronome - Clefairy, Clefable
Me First - Slowpoke*

*Chain Breed
(3) - 3rd gen move Tutor

Move Tutor:
AncientPower
Bug Bite
Fury Cutter
ThunderPunch
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Bounce
Dive
Swift
Aqua Tail
Outrage
Knock Off
Sucker Punch
Magnet Rise
Earth Power
Helping Hand
Magic Coat
Low Kick
Signal Beam
Icy Wind
Gastro Acid
Zen Headbutt
Role Play

Pick the set of sprites that you would most like to see implemented on the server for Krilowatt!

We will not allow posts in this topic such as "I voted Sprite." Put some substance into your post. This means that you need to back up your post with reasoning or you will be infracted. Needless to say, this also applies to making statements like "those sprites are awful."

Please note: The sprite spreads in this thread represent all approved legal submissions. If yours was left it, it was either incomplete, not marked as a final decision, or the final submission was breaking some rule in the OP.

Submissions:

Cartoons! said:
Chaoscrippler said:
DarthVader317 said:
Shiny_togekiss said:
noobiess said:
DougJustDoug said:
Doran Dragon said:
m190049 said:

this time it's gotta be doug. this cap strikes me as cute, and doug's sprite does that best. i also think doug has the best shiny colours.

it's really a shame that chaoscrippler scrapped his original design. i liked it way better.

honourable mention goes to cartoons.

Voted Cartoons. I like the fact that it's so small and still managed to retain all of the necessary details, and I really feel like Krilowatt's sprite SHOULD be small, it's totally part of his personality to me. The gender differences (the heart-shaped female tail) are also the most clever of the ones presented, IMO. I also like the shiny palette better than Chaoscrippler, my second choice (best back sprites, IMO, but I liked his first front sprite design better than the current one too).

I voted Cartoons!

The sprite is perfection people.
I was planning on taking my hand at a Krilowatt sprite, but I thought this was better than anything I could do.
He nailed the backsprite perfectly, and the front sprite is more significantly "Krilowatt" than the other entries.
Overall I beleive it's the best quality sprite, and represents the original art the best. It just feels the most polished and finished.

Quite honestly I plan on using that sprite regardless of who wins, I really can't stress how perfect it is. It's just spriting at its very best.

Good job everybody, and good luck.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I went for Chaoscrippler's. The other sprites are fine, but I'm kind of irked by the fact that they make this Pokemon look so puny. Crippler's still makes it look small, but it isn't as ridiculously scaled down and it has a character that isn't present in some of the other sprites.

Voted Cartoons! Honestly, how big is this guy supposed to be? I'm envisioning a small, perhaps even parasitic critter, and I feel that the first sprite design embodies a "small and cute but deadly" ideal. Yes, it has high HP, but I think that this doesn't necessarily imply a physically large Pokémon. Perhaps it's not the actual size of the sprites but the size of the features within the sprites that give this feel.

P.S.: How much base power will Grass Knot have against Krilowatt? Was this decided?

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel that Doug's are head-and-shoulders above the rest Detailed, cute, mean, great shiny (important for a CAP, since most CAPs have awesome shinies), what more could you ask for?

I voted for Cartoons!, as I felt his CAP captured what was in my mind for Krillowatt.

Doug came a close second in my mind, it's really the size that won it for me.

Although the smaller sizes of Doug and Cartoons do hold a lot of merit, plus they're fine quality-products, they just don't have the personality of chaoscrippler's submission. Although from a technical point of speaking, the details are well sprited, when putting them next to things like... Say Caterpie, the stylistic difference becomes rather clear. They are brilliant sprites and I couldn't have done it better myself, but they feel kind of out of place to me.

Chaoscrippler's may have a larger size that might be a bit off-putting, but it copes with the overall style very nicely and integrates a lot of expression in the sprite. Excellent use of the artistic license too.

It was a really tough decision but I went with Cartoons!
I really loved his,Dougs and Chaosripplers sprites and in the end I just let the backsprite of all things decide. It is an overall very cute sprite and I love how small it is. A cute hidden threat if you so will.

Chose m190049's because it looks bad-ass and cute at the same time :] I also think its pose is not only a breath of fresh air but it reflects the athletism of the Pokemon well.

I also find shiny_togekiss's colour combination for his shiny pretty and.. positively shiny!

Cartoons' is fantastic, giving a good representation of what the scale of CAP10 should be, making it cute but still giving it a bit of menace. Just completely perfect, and I love the shiny colours.

Doug is second for me, but I'm not a fan of the "mean" eye on the male at all. I think it removes the cuteness from this CAP which is something this project desperately needs after so many Capital-B Badass-looking Pokemon.

Cartoons!' for me by several country miles

Voted for Doug, for me it is the most beautiful one, but honestly, it is, for me, the only sprite that I can imagine playing the game, the others, even Cartoon's one, are a little off.

I love Chaoscrippler's backsprite, and if you plan on using it you'll be seeing a lot of it.
That said, his front sprite is pretty good too, but in this rare case the backsprite is better imo.

I ended up voting Chaoscrippler in the end, because personally, I like his front sprite a lot.

Although I almost went for Doug.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I looked for medium size, great backsprites, cute eyes, and most importantly, the pose. When I mean the pose, I wanted one that displayed a lot of personality, but isn't overdone (see: DP Vaporeon)

Voted for Chaoscrippler's sprite for its size, SUPER cute eyes, and a unique (though slightly awkward) pose. Both the front sprites and the back sprites are excellent (and also the pincers can help justify Guillotine!). Ultimately, though, the most appealing aspect of his sprite is the personality, which I felt that the others lacked.

Regardless of who wins, I am using his sprite

EDIT: My opinions on the other sprites. WARNING! Contains negative comments

Cartoons!: Excellent shiny coloring (probably the best), and gender difference. That said, I didn't like the incredibly small size of it (which is also reflected in the backsprite), and the pose (reminds me of Paras).

DarthVader:
Excellent shiny once more, and also has the perfect size. I sort of liked the unique pose but the eyes bugged me. I found the pupils a bit small which gave the sprites a blank expression (therefore somewhat counteracting the unique pose, sorry). The backsprites seem awfully bulky too (with big pupils compared to the frontsprites).

Shiny_togekiss: I'm sorry to say this, but the bland colors are really off putting, along with the lack of details and the appearance of the Pokemon trying to perform some acrobatics (see: DP Vaporeon), somewhat. I did like the size though

noobiess:
Great backsprites, but a bit bland on the frontsprites. The eyes in the front sprite are nowhere as great as the backsprites, IMO. Great shiny coloring though

DougJustDoug: Great coloring, amazing eyes (though I think the mean eyed one fits better for a second frame sprite than a gender difference), incredible shiny, and excellent backsprites. I can see the incredible amount of time and effort you've put into this. However, I didn't like the pose at all - it felt plain with its claws just hanging there on its sides. Had the right claw stuck out rather than being folded, I would've liked it much better.

Doran Dragon: Unique pose, decent size (a bit big though). but the overall sprite feels very "not Pokemonlike" to me. The left arm seems seems boneless and the stripes seem out of place. The backsprites don't look very shrimplike, either :(. However, the sprite does show personality.

m190049: Not sure if i like the pose, or the shiny coloring, but I liked the backsprites - it was on par with DJD's backsprites.

I'm with Banryu on this one. Shrimp are small, even jumbo shrimp. I can understand not liking Cartoons!'s for its smallness but from the standpoint of realism, I think Krilowatt NEEDS to be small.

Also, there are a lack of small Pokémon on the CAP page. Everything's enormous. The next smallest thing would be Fidgit, if you ignored the hands. A small Krilowatt would fill that gap.

Chaoscrippler gets my vote, I really love the pose and colours, so fun. The expression kinda reminds me of Breloom and Blissey, in that you have a happy and seemingly harmless looking Pokemon that will actually make you tear your own hair out trying to bring it down...

I also stand in awe over how Cartoons! and DougJustDoug managed to cram so much detail into such a small space, amazing work.

it was a tough decision between doug and Cartoons, although they are all very good sprites. I ended up going with dougs, it feels very natural and is just rite for krillowatte

kind of dissapointed of the amount of votes I got... I hope I would be at least at the better half. But you can't really predict the popularity of your sprite.
And honestly some other spriters deserve it more then I do.

So my vote goes to cartoons. His sprite is cute, clean, no minor fault and everything. Also his pose looks like a realy shrimp. And I have to say his backsprite is the only one that looks good. The others all seem disproportinate (except doran dragon's..it's really good too). I also liked doran dragon's (but it looked a little bit too round for me and the glow was too much for me) and also some other sprites that where disqualified.

kind of dissapointed of the amount of votes I got... I hope I would be at least at the better half. But you can't really predict the popularity of your sprite.
And honestly some other spriters deserve it more then I do.

So my vote goes to cartoons. His sprite is cute, clean, no minor fault and everything. Also his pose looks like a realy shrimp. And I have to say his backsprite is the only one that looks good. The others all seem disproportinate (except doran dragon's..it's really good too). I also liked doran dragon's (but it looked a little bit too round for me and the glow was too much for me) and also some other sprites that where disqualified.
Don't be sad, I think your backsprite was one of the best, if not the best...

Didn't vote for it because of the front sprite looking not so good IMO. In the end i vent with doug. As it had the best shiny collours and a good front sprite. Cartoons is a close second, but i found dougs back sprite slighly better and the shiny was realy what won me over here.

Just saying im probably going to use Shiny nice eye Krillowat should Doug win. As the angry backsprite looks not so good.

I voted noobiess, I think the back sprite is the best one of all the back sprites, and the front sprite is not to small or big and not too complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)