What should be CAP 10's name?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Vote on the three names that moved on from the previous poll.

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Ability: Trace
Ability: Magic Guard

Deck Knight said:
Final Submission:

Prawnto [Prawn + Pronto [an idiom for immediately] (also pwn)]

Used in a sentence: Get me a counter, Prawnto!
Gamer128 said:
Final Submission (though it was in the title last time)

Krilowatt

Simply a mix of kilowatt and that extra "r" for the krill reference. It brings out how it's more of an Electric type than Water. Also, it has watt in there anyway.

No double L's. While the extra L really adds to the krill reference, it should be blatantly noticeable that the sounding of Krill is in there. Therefore, one L is just as good as two. One L just looks more pleasing to the eye when reading.
DougJustDoug said:
Ebion
Ebi (Japanese word for shrimp) + Ion (an electrically charged particle)

This is a tiny pokemon, so I think a short name fits nicely.

• Once again, put some substance into your posts and no "I voted for x". This is entirely standard procedure and is just here for the sake of people making sure it still applies here.

• No being a Negative Nancy.You may think I'm kidding here, but I'm actually not. I'm really getting so sick of reading people's posts of "man, all of the options in here SUCK, oh well". I picked the options, and to be honest, I really don't care if you think they "suck". This is basically a thinly veiled attempt at being venomous over your option not making a poll. This rule also applies to people who are going to bitch at me over their name not making this poll. The criteria was "things that I really liked that got support", which applies to every name in this poll. Complaining will get you nowhere.

Yep.

I picked Ebion because i thought it embodied this pokemons cuteness better than any other entry. THe others seem incongruently styled with the intentions of the design.

Beej in the previous name poll said:
Pretty surprised by the lack of posts in this thread
I think it's because there aren't really that many arguments for choosing a name and they were all used up quite quickly, so the only other posts that might have appeared would have been stuff like "I voted for Krilowatt 'cos it's awesome".

Anyway, I'm still not that keen on Ebion. Generally speaking, the name should make it pretty obvious what the pokemon is (in this case, an electric prawn, which rules out Prawnto). Delving into foreign languages detracts from the obviousness because not everyone who sees the name "Ebion" automatically knows that the Japanese word for shrimp is in there. If I recall correctly, the only other time we've gone foreign is with Kitsunoh, and in my opinion, that works without knowing that kitsune is the Japanese word for fox ("kit" could just as easily have come from kitten).

In case you hadn't noticed, my support remains with Krilowatt. Incidentally, the name Krilowatt, as well as making me think of the electric prawn, also reminds me of Sir Killalot from Robot Wars.

So...if I get over 50% of the votes before this poll closes, DO I WIN??? YAYZ!

On a serious note, I said from the beginning that Scampali, Ebion, and Prawnto would make it. However, Scampali didn't even make preliminaries. So, with the three top names up there, I would be glad if any of them won.

Good job guys. :)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Glad to know at least someone supported my idea. But this project is about the community, so I guess it can't be helped.

I was on the Krilowatt flagship from the beginning, but Prawnto has grown on me. Would matter anyways, since Krilowatt is five miles in the lead. At least we're getting something that doesn't suck.

Ebion, without a doubt. I think we all are tired of trying to get used to long names (no, this is a serious point, I'm not joking in the slightest), and this name is so simple it's fantastic. It's straight to the point too.

I voted for Krilowatt for largely the same reasons as before. First of all, though, I want to point out that I don't care if Krilowatt is already in the lead, I will vote for what I feel is the best decision for CAP10. That said, Prawnto and Ebion are not even remotely close to Krilowatt in terms of fitting both the concept, the abstract feel of the character behind the CAP, or sounding exciting enough for me to want to keep calling it either of those names for the rest of time. Go Krilowatt.

I still don't understand what's so hard to understand about Ebion, given the series we're working off of is Japanese and all. Ebion is cute and understated, without bludgeoning one over the head with the pun. Krillowatt and Prawnto still sound a little clunky. And I'm just not understanding how Krillowatt "is just better feeling" than the other two Dusk. I'm already on thin ice with the mods apparently so I won't push the issue, but an explanation would be nice so I could "see the light", as it were.

I still don't understand what's so hard to understand about Ebion, given the series we're working off of is Japanese and all. Ebion is cute and understated, without bludgeoning one over the head with the pun. Krillowatt and Prawnto still sound a little clunky. And I'm just not understanding how Krillowatt "is just better feeling" than the other two Dusk. I'm already on thin ice with the mods apparently so I won't push the issue, but an explanation would be nice so I could "see the light", as it were.
What other pokemon have Japanese derived names other than (eurgh) kitsunoh?

Ebion sounds the least stupid though.

I'm going for Krilowatt then, although it doesn't sound that good. But Prawnto sounds even more ridiculous, and Ebion sounds like a gundam (Epyon) (which CAP 10 doesn't even resemble to the slightest).

Anti-H said:
And I'm just not understanding how Krillowatt "is just better feeling" than the other two Dusk.
It's largely opinion; it just happens to be an opinion that a vast majority of the community shares at present. If you don't think Krilowatt sounds perfect for CAP10's art and design, then nothing I say can convince you that otherwise.

When I think of this art design as a Pokemon, I imagine it camping out on some Pokemon trainer's shoulder going "KRILO! KRILO-WATT!" Meanwhile, I can't see it going "EB-EBION!" because that sounds too deep and philosophical for what I think would be a rather hyper Pokemon. Prawnto gets closer to Krilowatt in terms of that, but I don't think the pun is appropriate at all, given that it bears no reference to the Electric-type. It's really all preference, honestly, so it's hard to shed anymore light on it than I already have.

It's largely opinion; it just happens to be an opinion that a vast majority of the community shares at present. If you don't think Krilowatt sounds perfect for CAP10's art and design, then nothing I say can convince you that otherwise.

When I think of this art design as a Pokemon, I imagine it camping out on some Pokemon trainer's shoulder going "KRILO! KRILO-WATT!" Meanwhile, I can't see it going "EB-EBION!" because that sounds too deep and philosophical for what I think would be a rather hyper Pokemon. Prawnto gets closer to Krilowatt in terms of that, but I don't think the pun is appropriate at all, given that it bears no reference to the Electric-type. It's really all preference, honestly, so it's hard to shed anymore light on it than I already have.
If you do that with Prawnto, then it starts to seem like he's being pushy.

I missed the first poll, but I've already said which names I like, and two of them are on here. I had a hard time deciding between Ebion and Krilowatt, and in the end I chose the latter. "Krilowatt" kind of ties into CAP 10's initial concept as well as sounding really awesome.

What other pokemon have Japanese derived names other than (eurgh) kitsunoh?

Ebion sounds the least stupid though.

Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu, Chinchou, Togepi/Togetic/Togekiss, Yanma/Yanmega, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Ho-Oh, Makuhita/Hariyama, Kyogre, Palkia (Dialga is a little easier to get in English), Darkrai.

That's with leaving out the ones with debated name origins (Shaymin, Jirachi, Lucario) and the ones with non-English but non-Japanese names (Latios, Latias, the Regi's) and ones with rather complex English names that might as well be a foreign language for kids (the target audience; Anorith, Kirlia)

Ebion sounds way too japanese (i.e. it sounds japanese). Krilowatt is much more awesome than the other two, in my opinion.

Newsflash for you lot who don't like Ebion sounding Japanese, Pokemon IS Japanese. It originated in Japan, and lots of Pokemon names remain untranslated from their original Japanese versions, as glacialcat so helpfully saves me the trouble of listing. If you're gonna opt not to vote for it, please do so for a better reason than that.

I disagree, Banryu. Even though lots of names stay the same from the Japanese version, the ones with Japanese idioms and references do not. I'm not questioning Ebion though, I think it's a pretty good name. I just think Krilowatt is better sounding, and I like pun names, so I voted that.

Seriously, this is an opinion poll at its heart, why should we have more of a reason when it's something entirely personal? If they think Ebion sounds too Japanese, and they dislike that, then it's a good enough reason.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm closing this, because I'm going to bed and probably won't be up when this closes, and the margin here basically means that it's impossible for either of the two options to overtake Krilowatt. It is clearly the most popular name, amassing over 50% of the vote, and it is now the winner. For all intents and purposes, our Pokemon is now named Krilowatt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)