CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 13b - Complete Movepool Poll 3

CAP11's Movepool will be:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is the end of the road, time to decide the final competitive element. Good luck!

Our CAP so far:

DougJustDoug said:
DougJustDoug said:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.

The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate

• Typing: Fighting / Dark
    Stat Spread: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 105 SpA / 80 SpD / 110 Spe
    Abilities: Volt Absorb / Lightningrod
    Name: Voodoom

Submissions:

Jibaku

DrkSlay

This will be a single click poll. Simply click on the poll option above for your movepool selection.

This poll will last approx. 24 hours.

Voted Jibaku because I don't approve of Ice Beam being on the set.

Ultimately I feel that this poll will come down to Ice Beam vs. No Ice Beam. Good luck to both Jibaku and Drkslay.

EDIT: Just a quote from tennisace that I think explains why Ice Beam isn't needed on the set:

tennisace said:
@lati0s:
HP Ice 70 OHKO's every single Dragonite and 2hkos every Physical Zapdos when you have close to max SpA. Ice Beam doesn't turn the 2hko into an OHKO.

Well it's not like there's much else that's different.

Going with Jibaku. Totally for flavor reasons, since it's not like there's a competitive argument for disallowing Ice Beam.....

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I like the inclusion of Ice Beam specifically because it is relatively useless, yet also helps against certain counters. I am voting for DrkSlay as a result.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'd like to congratulate DrkSlay for getting it this far, as well as Rising_Dusk (even though he really hates my movepool and picked flavor over the lack of Ice Beam), for at least making it to the previous round. May the best man win.

That said, I voted for myself lol.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Congrats goes out to Jibaku for making it here! I'm very excited that on my first movepool submission, I was able to get this far with Jib. Best of luck, bud.

I also voted for myself too. :P

EDIT: HeavyOctillery, my movepool does indeed have Pain Split. In fact...it's the first move listed in my movepool. o_O Please take that part out of your post, thanks.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm with you DrkSlay.

Honestly, there's no big differences between the two movepools (besides the Ice Beam controversy), so i went with DrkSlay for flavor reasons.

Also, does everything I vote for lose???

not wildly happy with the absence of needle arm and twineedle >_> but i voted for jibakubs.

on second thought, i voted for jibaku because drkslay's doesn't have superpower. :toast:

For me, it came down to Pain Split, which DrkSlay's didn't have. So I voted for Jibaku.

Meh, looks like HP Ice will be enough to get rid of Zappy anyway.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voted Dark Sly, but I wish I wouldn't have on the basis of not having thoroughly read his post. Wtf is with you guys and Ice Beam? It's not necessary and doesn't even make any sense.

I'm pushing my support for Jibaku. I'm serious about those controversial moves, they're going to make a lot of key differences during gameplay.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I outlined the reasons I cannot vote for Jibaku in the last poll. DrkSlay has my vote again.

I really like the looks of both movepools, and it was pretty hard to pick because they're so similar. Went with Jibaku in the end. I think Needle Arm would have been cool, but I can agree with his reasoning for leaving it out, and I think he got a cooler selection of flavor moves. In particular, I liked the notion of Perish Trapping through Wrap (it just amuses me, especially contemplating how a voodoo doll would use Wrap in the first place), and I agree that Ice Beam makes no sense.

I voted Jibaku. There really isn't a difference in Drkslay's or Jibaku's. Ice Beam is unnecessary because of Stone Edge and it doesn't fit flavor-wise. I believe that Thunderwave is a useful move that fits with Togekiss. Both movesets have Pain Split. Over all, Jibaku's moveset is superior.

Both have pain split so no worries about that. I just don't really like thunderwave(and you probably won't have room anyway) And Ice beam won't hurt.

Ultimately, I don't really see why Rising_Dusk is so turned off by the level-up. That's basically Jibaku's only "problem" as far as I can see, and even then we both seem to recall there ARE Pokémon who have "learn a move every n levels" movepools. I don't mean to agitate the bad blood that's developed between RD and Jibaku, but I felt that it had to be said.

There's been this complaint that the level-up movepools were done carelessly and moves chosen at random, and from reading the descriptions I had to vote (both before and here) for the movepool whose description made a good attempt to justify this. There was no other way I could find to choose because I don't care much about the competitive differences :P

timid cap 11 hp ice vs physically defensive zapdos 38.1% - 44.9%
timid cap 11 ice beam vs physically defensive zapdos 51.2% - 60.6%

hidden power will usually 2ko zapdos on the switch in with stealth rock, but if cap11 switches in, as it should be able to to be a perfect mate for togekiss, it will not be able to outdamage roosts. this is why I think ice beam is good. It also allows cap11 to 2ko specially defensive zapdos on the switch in.

needless to say I voted drkslay

For the record, your calculation is wrong.
Code:
252 Timid Life Orb Voodoom (70bp Ice Special)  
  vs. 248/0 Bold Leftovers Zapdos : 49.1% - 58%
Physically defensive Zapdos cannot Roost stall you out, and the only Voodoom that won't run 252 SpA are Bulk Up variants, which can bust through you after a BU or two with Night Slash or Stone Edge anyway.

Jibaku, there's a tiny mistake in your movepool. If you want Voodoll to evolve at level 20, it should learn Charge at level 20, not 19. A Pokemon that evolves by level-up with a certain move will evolve if it just learned that move by level-up. It doesn't need to level up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)