SM OU Choice Band Komala

Hi guys! This is my third RMT. I decided to make a team based around a Banded Komala. It is made for fun and really, it's for people who want to bounce around the low ladder and just have some fun.

Team Importable: https://pokepast.es/04a04263a0222f10

A look at the team:

Chompa (Mawile-Mega) (M) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
My favourite mega, Mega Mawile hits hard simply because of it's amazing attack power. Sucker Punch allows Mega Mawile to play mind games with the opponent. Swords Dance is pretty standard, it allows Mega Mawile to regain attack boost if hit by an intimidate from a Landorus Therian. Iron Head is there for the occasional flinch chance, and is also standard STAB. Play Rough is also STAB.

The penetrator (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 128 HP / 16 Atk / 216 Def / 148 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
This Lando-Therian Set spread is my idea. The main function of this Landorus-T is to act as offensive utility. Earthquake is to hit Mons such as Toxapex and Tyranitar. HP Ice is to hit opposing Lando-T. Defog and Stealth Rock make Lanorus-T a valuable pivot as well as a hazards setup.

Aussie Copyrighted (Komala) @ Choice Band
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Last Resort
The star of our team. Sleep Talk and Last Resort Komala was just a fun team addition suggested by a friend. Comatose prevents Komala from being statused, which is extremely helpful because that means Komala cannot be burned and get it's attack decreased. Sleep Talk allows Komala to use Last Resort over and over again without failing, turning it into a physical sweeper.

Night Striker (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam
This is my default Ash-Greninja Set. I decided to make him a Special Sweeper because I didn't feel like I needed much utility. Hydro Pump allows Greninja to get into the Battle Bond as soon as possible. It is also powerful Water STAB that does way more power than Surf. Don't be afraid to use Hydro Pump on anything that seems frail but resists water. Dark Pulse is also standard Dark STAB. It allows Ash-Greninja to mindlessly spam against Water Resists.

Inferior (Serperior) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Nature Power
An interesting Mon. Contrary turns Serperior into a Leaf Storm Spammer, causing headaches for many opponents. Normalium Z was to get a Z nature Power, which turns into a Z-Move depending on the terrain type. I chose Tapu Koko to get a GigaVolt Havoc, causing chaos for Flying types such as Celesteela that pressure Serperior to switch out. Hidden Power Fire is a sure way to deal with Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Rocker Koko (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
This Tapu Koko set was also an original set. It's a scarfed physical attacker that is meant to surprise enemies. Wild Charge is to get rid of threats such as Hawlucha and Water types. Brave Bird is to deal with other Fighting types or grass types such as Assault Vest Tangrowth that gives Tapu Koko a hard time. U-turn is to add momentum and switch out. Roost is there, but I'm not sure if it is the best idea because I barely use it.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
I think to adhere strictly to forum rules you should elaborate a bit more on lando (say, explain the EVs). Otherwise, this looks pretty fun, and the koko + serperior sets look quite fascinating.

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
In agreement with what pulsar512b said at the start of their comment, I would very much like an explanation for the EV spread on the Lando. Those are definitely not the standard EVs for any of Smogon's sets, so I'm curious as to what your thought process was when making the spread.

Other than that, I personally only have a couple issues:

1. Not gonna lie, your team looks really Ferrothorn-weak at the moment. Outside of a boosted HP Fire from Serp (or a boosted anything from Mawile), these are your strongest options against the standard Ferro spread.
Greninja Dark Pulse (post-transformation): 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 145-172 (41.1 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Lando EQ: 16 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 118-139 (33.5 - 39.4%) -- 17.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Greninja Dark Pulse (pre-transformation): 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 109-130 (30.9 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Koko Brave Bird: 252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 94-111 (26.7 - 31.5%) -- 20.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see, even your next best option is only a 3HKO; meanwhile, it can recover some of that damage off with Leech Seed + Leftovers (and Protect if it has it) and/or chunk you with Gyro Ball or Power Whip. The easiest fix would be to swap out Iron Head for Fire Fang on Mawile, as it's the only move you could put on any of these Pokémon that would guarantee an OHKO on Ferro, even without a boost.

2. Considering your Koko is fully physical rather than special or mixed, I see no reason for you to have Hasty over Jolly on it. You'll still get the Speed boost without having to sacrifice one of your defenses and you don't have to worry about not lowering your Special Attack. I also don't think Scarfing yourself into Roost is a great idea, but I've seen it done before, so I'll give you a pass on that for now.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
First, i think that MMawile set is bad, because you're going to be hard walled by steel and poison types, like toxapex, skarmory, heatran, celeestela. Toxapex and skarmory can safely switch in and (p)haze you, burn MMawile with scald or setting up hazards. Heatran outspeed Mawile, can take a +2 sucker punch from full and retaliate with fire STAB moves (And your team haven't any good switch in for that)
You should consider use thunder punch instead of iron head to hit Skarmory, Celesteela and Toxapex (Note that Tpunch is boosted under Koko's electric terrain)or knock off to cripple Heatran, Celesteela and Ferrothorn on the switch.
For Komala, you should use Jolly nature to outspeed and 2HKO some gliscor, zapdos and tapu bulu variants, mega venusaur, and weakened normal-resistants pokemons like Jirachi and Celesteela (They take a solid 40% damages from Komala with Jolly nature) or Tyranitar. It's really important, because all of these mons can severely cripple or deal massive damages to Komala.
Last but not the least, note that scarf Tapu Koko outspeed the same things with 220 EV in speed, so you could put 36 EV in defense to have a more reliable check against Hawlucha.

Last edited:
You should consider use thunder punch instead of iron head to hit Skarmory, Celesteela and Toxapex (Note that Tpunch is boosted under Koko's electric terrain)or knock off to cripple Heatran, Celesteela and Ferrothorn on the switch.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. However, I need Steel Type STAB to get rid of fairy types such as Clefairy and Mega Diancie. Also, should I replace SD with Thunder Punch or Fire Fang?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)