CISPA, The New Internet Censorship Bill...

So yeah Congress is at it again trying to pass into law a new bill similiar to that of SOPA/PIPA:

http://www.examiner.com/progressive...onal-plan-to-censor-internet-concerns-critics

On a different forum I was surfing through, it turns out that Arizona is also trying to pass an Internet Censorship law as well. More details below:

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/arizona-law-would-censor-internet-631407

Whether or not If the Arizona bill is as dangerous as the CISPA bill that Congress is trying to pass through is up for debate I suppose.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
jesus will there ever not be an internet censorship bill in congress?

like seriously learn people

No warrant, no probable cause, would be necessary, as long as the action is taken in the name of “cyber security.”
Hello, Congress? The Fourth Amendment would like a word with you, as would the entire Internet... Another mass Internet blackout incoming, do you think?

I think we should have a law censoring bills to censor the internet.

If it was censored, there'd probably be so much outrage and protests they would have to change it back immediatly, but that's just my theory.

How think do they have to be? This has fallen to massive public outcry several times? Why do they think renaming it with a new acronym is going to be different?

Are they changing strategies to an exhaustion strategy? If they just constantly raise these bills, do they think eventually the public will just get bored of it all and say "Oh, go on then."

why would they stop trying to pass internet censorship laws? that's what warner bros. and friends are paying them to do

this is going to end with the american government trying to censor the internet and not knowing how. in the wake of recent events, stuff like the darknet project has cropped up with the goal of creating a global wireless mesh (which would be completely outside of anyone's control).

Governments that try to censor the internet are sopa-thetic.

Couldn't resist. But I agree, as soon as this gets a little more public attention, it will travel down the same path as the sopa/pipa. It's going to be a constant struggle with interest groups funding these kinds of legislation and the populace resisting. they'll probably eventually sneak one through earmarked on some other proposal but I agree, they will fail miserably and just start mass censoring everything they see. it could be pretty ugly.

Their probably gonna keep trying to pass these laws hoping people will eventually lose interest so they'll probably eventually pass one. Honestly this whole system right now is screwed up in the head.

What the politician who wrote this bill was probably thinking:
What the hell is a "national debt," and why the hell should I care?

CENSORING THE INTERNET FROM THOSE DAMN PIRATES IS THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE IN A GOOD WORLD.

I'm such a genius! -gives self hundred thousand dollar raise-

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, what is this country coming to? Haven't these people heard of the Bill of Rights?

Still, even if they somehow magically pass it this time (I highly doubt they will, the public will protest against it), the Supreme Court will eventually declare it unconstitutional, because, well, it is. Even so, it annoys me that Congress actually tries to pass shit like this. Our fathers fought to have a free country, but now it's not looking so "free" to me.

Well I found an Online Petition to help against this Censorship Bill, click on the link below:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa/?cl=1702181514&v=13511

Under the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), if a cyber threat is even suspected, companies we use to access the Internet will have the right to collect information on our activities, share that with the government, refuse to notify us that we are being watched and then use a blanket immunity clause to protect themselves from being sued for violation of privacy or any other illegal action. It's a crazy destruction of the privacy we all rely on in our everyday emails, Skype chats, web searches and more.

But we know that the US Congress is afraid of the world's response. This is the third time they have tried to rebrand their attempt to attack our Internet freedom and push it through under the radar, each time changing the law's name and hoping citizens would be asleep at the wheel. Already, Internet rights groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation have condemned the bill for its interference with basic privacy rights -- now it's time for us to speak out.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just remember folks, these are the people you want to put in charge of your health care! But your internet? Why, that's Un-American!

This is a less hysterical article about the bill: http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/watch-out-washington-cispa-replaces-sopa-as-internets-enemy-no-1/

This is a TLDR description of the bill: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/rt21f/so_i_read_cispa_hr_3523_heres_your_tldr/

1. Gives private companies the power to collect "cyber security information."
  2. Gives them the high-security clearance necessary to handle that information.
  3. Allows companies, on behalf of themselves or other "protected entities", to: A. "Use cybersecurity systems to identify and obtain cyber threat information to protect the rights and property of such protected entity." B. Share that private information with said entity and/or the Feds.
  4. The information collected is "proprietary" and may not be shared with anyone else.
  5. Private companies acting under this law are exempt from: A. Being sued or criminally prosecuted for doing this surveillance; B. Being sued or criminally prosecuted for "not acting on information obtained or shared."
  6. There must be yearly privacy reports made to the government.
  7. "Cyber threat intelligence" means any information pertaining to "efforts to degrade, disrupt, or destroy" a network; "theft or misappropriation of private or government information, intellectual property, or personally identifiable information."
  8. "Protected entities" mean companies only, not individuals.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Really this looks one hell of a lot worse than SOPA/PIPA. While they could shut down your favorite site for no reason, this one screens your activity and can throw you in fucking JAIL in /direct/ violation of the Fourth. If this passes, I don't think we live in America anymore (of course I've said that for multiple bills over my lifetime that have passed but the sentiment is no less accurate)

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
CISPA has passed the House of Representatives, and the Senate should be voting on it in a few weeks. Reportedly the Obama Administration has threatened to veto CISPA if it passes the Senate.

Source

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)