SS OU Close to the sun

:SS/Heatran: :SS/Torkoal: :SS/Venusaur: :SS/Mandibuzz: :SS/Chansey: :SS/Garchomp:
Hello everyone and welcome to my rmt,today I want some advice on a sun team I built recently.As sun is becoming more popular these days I wanted to showcase this team.
Full paste here
Teambuilding Process
:SS/Heatran:
:Poke ball:
This is the main Pokemon I wanted to build around as it’s specs set nukes most of the Pokemon under sun.I will explain in further depth why I used the specs set instead of the scarf set later in the rmt.
:SS/Heatran: :SS/Torkoal:
:Poke ball: :Poke ball:
Torkoal is the 2nd Pokemon I added to this team as it is the best sun setter in SS OU and helps this team handle different threats mainly weavile while also having decent longevity to set up sun swapping in on most physical attacks.
:SS/Heatran: :SS/Torkoal: :SS/Venusaur:
:Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball:
Venusaur is the 3rd Pokemon u added to this team as it is again a sun staple and by far the best chlorophyll sweeper in SS OU.This venu can function as a decent cleaner being able to clean up teams fairly easily after Heatran has done it’s job and punched holes in the opposing team.
:SS/Heatran: :SS/Torkoal: :SS/Venusaur: :SS/Mandibuzz:
:Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball:
Mandibuzz is the 4th Pokemon I added to this team as it is a good defogger who can handle threats such as dragapult while being able to consistently defog and can u turn into dangerous threats on this team like Heatran and Venusaur.
:SS/Heatran: :SS/Torkoal: :SS/Venusaur: :SS/Mandibuzz: :SS/Chansey:
:Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball:
Chansey is the 5th Pokemon I added to this team as it functions as a good way around threats such as kyurem. The main reason I used Chansey over Blissey is because I have a decent amount of hazard control from Torkoal’s rapid spin and mandibuzz’s defog so rocks wouldn’t be up most of the time and this team appreciates the extra bulk Chansey has that Blissey lacks.
:SS/Heatran: :SS/Torkoal: :SS/Venusaur: :SS/Mandibuzz: :SS/Chansey: :SS/Garchomp:
:Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball: :Poke ball:
Garchomp is the final Pokemon I decided to add as it is a good way around Zeraora and Heatran as they can be hard to handle for this team.I will be explaining the set further later in the rmt.This Pokemon helps me with special walls which are hard to break for this team as well.
Set descriptions and reasonings
Heatran

:Heatran:
Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
This is a cool set I’ve been wanting to build around in sun for a long time.The main reason I used this set was because it had raw power being able to pummel through more defensive teams or come in on things such as magnezone on offense and blow away the opposition.I supported this set with U turn and teleport support and garchomp has eject pack which can help me pivot into Heatran and fire off an eruption.The scarf set was my original idea but I realized that zera and dragapult still outspeeds it even with scarf.Although the scarf set was also an amazing set on sun I wanted to use a strong breaker that can weaken down opposing teams and even vs more offensive teams it’s still able to pivot in on something slower than it and grab a kill.I used flamethrower as much secondary stab in cases Heatran is forced to be low on HP.Flash Cannon is to scare away clefable and Tapu lele from swapping in on it and earth power is to kill opposing Heatran.
Torkoal
:Torkoal:
Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press
This is my sun setter and I also was able to fit rocks on it.This is a cool set for this team as it’s a body press Torkoal which helps this team’s blissey weakness quite a bit by forcing it to soft-boil.This is my main check to weavile and offensive grasses.It doesn’t have much longevity as it can’t run heavy duty boots so this team prefers shorter games as if Torkoal dies so does most of my offense so it’s a key mon which should be kept healthy at almost all times.
Venusaur
:venusaur:

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Growth
- Weather Ball
- Earth Power
This is my prime sun abuser which can beat most offensive teams under sun.This Pokemon is very threatening after a growth boost and can sweep fairly well after heatran is able to punch holes in the opposing team.I’m using earth power>sludge bomb on this set as I hit most of the fairy types in the tier strong and hitting heatran is also very nice as sludge bomb venusaur is walled by heatran.
Mandibuzz
:Mandibuzz:
Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 152 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
This is the standard Mandibuzz set and I added it here as it’s a good way to get around dragapult,it also functions as a backup vs offensive grasses and can punish garchomp using foul play if it tries to set up on it provides necessary defog support.I used u turn as it can provide momentum for my team mainly getting in my two sun abusers.
Chansey
:Chansey:
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Teleport
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
This helps me out vs dragapult and kyurem being able to check them and use teleport to get free momentum.This can also spread paralysis which helps heatran a lot vs faster teams being able to cripple them and give heatran more opportunities to fire off an eruption.I used this over Blissey as my team has quite a bit of hazard control already and with it’s extra bulk with eviolite it can pivot on physical attackers if necessary and take kyurem focus blasts better than Blissey.
Garchomp
:Garchomp:
Garchomp @ Eject Pack
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
This is a set used in wcop a decent bit and I feel it fits here as it makes an amazing combo with heatran being able to lure in corv to take it’s swords dance boosted attacks only to draco meteor on it activate eject pack and get a free switch into heatran.This set provides some breaking power being able to kill off flying types with stone edge and denting things with sun boosted fire blasts and it’s earthquake and draco meteor are still extremely strong.It helps break through some special walls which can otherwise cause me trouble such as Blissey.

To make it easier for the rates to rate my team I will be including a few replays to let them understand how the team works.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1378915554
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1378919309-ntibi63o3ajjtub1t4kpafallym5pk8pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1378865663
That’s the end of my rmt thank you for reading this fully and I appreciate any and all advice.​

Last edited:
ootl thefatrat is real nice, using regular rmt format

:heatran: :torkoal: :venusaur: :corviknight: :garchomp: :blissey:/:heatran: :torkoal: :venusaur: :corviknight: :garchomp: :clefable:

some major points and changes in my notes:

personally i find it quite hard to deal with a lot of offensive layering on sun teams, so ive got to give you props for giving a shot at making something work

w/ mandi + chansey as its quite overwhelmable with rocks + knock which is real tough as you have to pick your poison in games- theres a lot of good defensive layering with passive damage being the largest problem and you're forced into this decision constantly. in other words, you'll either lose a lot of offensive power or let mandi get chipped by rocks which leaves you more open to pult, which makes it extremely difficult to pivot into knock which is my main issue. two versions of the outcome of the team are above- i tried not to change too much dynamic because we want to be on the same page with the main idea in hand, and not turn the build(s) into completely different pictures.

for these reasons, i splurted out a mixed clef version and a blissey version which should help with pult (theyre both with corviknight, so your fogger is less overwhelmable and you can freely punish defog attempts with eruption tran + venu) which should alleviate the issue at hand more, the one you choose is purely up to you (fwiw, i prefer the blissey version to deal with kyurem longterm. doing something back to pult w/ clef and going with a good guided gameplan is awarded on these types of teams. just play conservative) kart + zone offensive teams are still p annoying but i dont think youll have many issues with them. good luck!

ootl thefatrat is real nice, using regular rmt format

:heatran: :torkoal: :venusaur: :corviknight: :garchomp: :blissey:/:heatran: :torkoal: :venusaur: :corviknight: :garchomp: :clefable:

some major points and changes in my notes:

personally i find it quite hard to deal with a lot of offensive layering on sun teams, so ive got to give you props for giving a shot at making something work

w/ mandi + chansey as its quite overwhelmable with rocks + knock which is real tough as you have to pick your poison in games- theres a lot of good defensive layering with passive damage being the largest problem and you're forced into this decision constantly. in other words, you'll either lose a lot of offensive power or let mandi get chipped by rocks which leaves you more open to pult, which makes it extremely difficult to pivot into knock which is my main issue. two versions of the outcome of the team are above- i tried not to change too much dynamic because we want to be on the same page with the main idea in hand, and not turn the build(s) into completely different pictures.

for these reasons, i splurted out a mixed clef version and a blissey version which should help with pult (theyre both with corviknight, so your fogger is less overwhelmable and you can freely punish defog attempts with eruption tran + venu) which should alleviate the issue at hand more, the one you choose is purely up to you (fwiw, i prefer the blissey version to deal with kyurem longterm. doing something back to pult w/ clef and going with a good guided gameplan is awarded on these types of teams. just play conservative) kart + zone offensive teams are still p annoying but i dont think youll have many issues with them. good luck!
Thanks for the changes I’ll try the team out and give u some feedback.

This is a great team Ccn love the rmt I have two small changes that I can add to help make it better.

firstly ,
1626634351904.png
>>
1626634412722.png

1626634742758.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Teleport
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Wish

I feel clef is a better fit to help you with knock and it isn’t weak to hazards at all. I did opt to give up thunder wave for teleport as another way to get sun abusers in just as you did with chansey. The best benefit to clef is its fairy typing. Wish is to keep torkoal and friends healthy.

Secondly,
1626634934361.png
,>>>>
1626635165427.png

1626635371910.png

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

You have fire types for bisharp and I feel brave bird hits more things such as rillaboom or even psychic types like slowking for powerful neutral damage, corv has an even slower Uturn than mandi giving you another way to get sun abusers in safely.
Here is the team with my changes I hope you like them.

https://pokepast.es/8b22ca867fda88eb

This is a great team Ccn love the rmt I have two small changes that I can add to help make it better.

firstly , View attachment 359552>>View attachment 359553

View attachment 359554
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Teleport
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Wish

I feel clef is a better fit to help you with knock and it isn’t weak to hazards at all. I did opt to give up thunder wave for teleport as another way to get sun abusers in just as you did with chansey. The best benefit to clef is its fairy typing. Wish is to keep torkoal and friends healthy.

Secondly, View attachment 359555,>>>>View attachment 359558
View attachment 359559
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

You have fire types for bisharp and I feel brave bird hits more things such as rillaboom or even psychic types like slowking for powerful neutral damage, corv has an even slower Uturn than mandi giving you another way to get sun abusers in safely.
Here is the team with my changes I hope you like them.

https://pokepast.es/8b22ca867fda88eb
Ty for the suggestions I’ll try it out.

I suppose you could certainly still be picking your poison on team variants, but not having Mandi makes games VS Dragonite much harder as Corv gets set up on and your other members of the team who could possibly deal with it such as Garchomp are susceptible to chip and are easy to punch through. It CAN diminish your power VS teams that use powerful fairy types such as utility or setup Clefable and Lele, but it's all in playstyle and preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)