Monotype Color

Rei

The arcana is the means by which all is revealed
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Color

Introduction

Welcome to my second RMT! Today I have my Dragon team I came up with when I was trying to fit Choice Specs Latios while not giving up too many matchups. I thought about Dragonium Z Calm Mind Latios, but I just wanted the pure power of Choice Specs for the whole game to wallbreak Pokemon like Porygon2, Hippowdon, Torkoal, and Celesteela. While I have been using this team for a long time with a Choice Scarf Kyurem, I saw that the fairy usage was dying off and saw the rise of Balance Water which is a problem as Choice Scarf Kyurem cannot take care of due to Choice Scarf Greninja and Stealth Rocks wearing it down. I had great success with this team on the ladder, and with the few tour games, I used it for.

The Team

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fire
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

The main reason I built this team. I had to think for a while on what I should run, as I had to think of what I wanted to cover in matchups, and came out with this. While this does seem odd at first glance, it does chucks to mostly anything that does not resist its STABs. Ice Beam is to catch Pokémon like Gliscor, Landorus, Landorus-T, Mega Altaria, and other Dragon-types as some people do not expect this on Latios. I originally had Hidden Power Fire to get Steel-types as I had Choice Scarf Kyurem which made the Steel-type matchup hellish, but I swapped it to Thunderbolt due to how much Flying was being used and is a good neutral move against Steel-types. Hidden power Fire is mainly to catch Scizor, and Ferrothorn to ease off the mind games. Draco Meteor does a ton to anything that does not resist it. I went with Psyshock to help with special walls like Chansey, and Mantine.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Roost
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
I swapped to the good set due to Fairy usage being down. Roost helps to keep it healthy and being able to take on Choice Scarf Greninja for its teammates. Boltbeam coverage helps with common Flying-types like Landorus formes, Celesteela, and Zapdos. With is ability Mold Breaker it allows it to go through Levitate to get Pokemon like Rotom-W and Rotom-H with its Earth Power and allows it to bypass Sturdy, Thick Fat, and Multiscale for Pokemon like Magnezone, Mega Venusaur, and Dragonite.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Superpower
- Outrage
Common Dragon set for Dragonite, and is a must-have for Dragon teams due to its ability Multiscale which it takes half the damage if Dragonite has not lost any HP. Extreme Speed helps against Greninja, and late game when everything is worn down. Fire Punch is for Steel-types like Mega Scizor and Celesteela. Superpower is run to deal with Chansey and Porygon2 on Normal. Outrage is its strongest STAB to bring down annoying walls like Toxapex, Mantine, and Mega Sableye after a bit of chip.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
The special wallbreaker on the team. I have been using this set after using Life Orb and Choice Scarf in the early days of Gen 7. This is the best way to run Hydregion as it can blow through Steel-types with a chance of a flinch with Dark Pulse. Focus Blast can help against Porygon2, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Flamethrower is used to help with Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela. Fire Blast can be used for more power, but I rather have accuracy over power.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail
Classic Tank Chomp. I just love this set so much, as Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers like Excadrill, Azumarill, Tapu Bulu, pivot Pokemon like Landorus-T, Crobat, Scizor, and Jirachi. Dragon Tail is to get rid of set up Pokemon like Mega Gallade, Landorus-T, and Gyarados. Fire Blast is used for Pokemon like Scizor, and Tapu Bulu.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish / Trick / Energy Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
Last, but not least here is the speed control and Hazard Removal of the team, Latias. I tend to switch up the first slot based on who I am facing / how the ladder is looking at the time. Energy Ball is a nice lure for Gastrodon and Swampert. Healing Wish allows at the cost of its life, to recover a Pokemon to full which can be helpful for late battle. Trick can get a wall trapped into one move for Pokemon like Slowbro, Chansey, Porygon2, and Celesteela. Draco Meteor is a great STAB to help get some damage off or take down slower Dragon-types. Psychic helps with Fighting-types like Keldeo and can sweep Poison once Alolan Muk is gone.
Importable

Threatlist

Chansey and Porygon2 can cause some trouble for Dragons due to how bulky they are. While Dragonite, Latios, and Hydregion have the tools to beat this bulky duo, it can be hard at times due to the fact how they can switch in to take the attack the other one cannot handle. Furthermore, Chansey can set up Stealth Rocks to wear down the team as it switches in, and Porygon2 is free to spam Ice Beam to get damage off.
Greninja can threaten all Dragons thanks to its Protean Ice Beam which can OHKO all Dragons minus Kyurem-B when Stealth Rocks are up. There are only a few ways to deal with this Pokemon with a Dragon monotype, and that is to use Kyurem-B, or get rid of Stealth Rocks to let Dragonite 2KO Geninja with Extreme Speed. Stealth Rocks from Garchomp can help wear this threat down as well, and after just taking Stealth Rock damage once, Dragonite can OHKO it with Extreme Speed.

Mega Diancie easily KOs any Dragons, minus Dragonite. The only way to take care of this is winning the speed tie with Latios, and finishing it with Latias.

Mimikyu with its Disguise allows it to take a hit from any Dragon, as only Kyurem-B attacks go through its Disguise and can set up freely, definitely if Hydreigion is gone.

Charizard X is a big threat after this gets to +2 its good game because Dragonite will not live an Outrage and cannot KO even with Tank Chomp chipping it.

Cloyster can be dealt with when it Shell Smashes once by Latias, but after it gets to two Shell Smashes, it can sweep the whole team.

Alolan Ninetales with it summoning hail can turn Sandslash to a powerful sweeper as it outpaces everything on the team par Latias which cannot do much thanks to Alolan Ninetales Aurora Veil, and also resisting both of Latias' attacks.

Mamoswine is a huge threat as a Choice Band Ice Shard can 2KO most of the team par Kyurem-B.

This is my favorite Dragon team. I am glad how well this team performs and hope you do too! I am using this RMT as a farewell to Monotype as my main, and transition to my new main which is LC. While I will be active still in Monotype, I will not be actively building, doing a friendly battle or laddering this tier unless it is to prep for a tour game or a team tour like MPL.

Shoutouts
Rukt We act like cancerous shits in vc being stupid, and being cancerous as shit. Its fun building memes with you and shitting on random side server people. Love you bro.
Coincidentally For just talking with me every time about random stuff and mons.
DBW For supporting me
maroon For just picking me up when I was feeling down.
Wincon Bitana The people who pushed me to become a competitive Pokemon player, I do not think I would be here without that push from Lotus lmao.
ima For drafting me in MPL, hoping you draft me again if you get manager for next years MPL.
Baleblaze For supporting me, even tho you do not play this tier, you are a good friend to me :D
1v1 people and Imperium room for just giving me a good time. ^^

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hi Magma, decent team you have here and thanks for the shoutout. Gonna make a few quick suggestions though!

>

Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Taunt
- Drain Punch
- Flamethrower

As you said in your threatlists that you were weak to Normal- and Ice-types which Kommo-o somewhat alleviates. As well as not only being able to beat Steel-types like you mentioned Hydreigon does however additionally Kommo can break walls fairly nicely with its coverage and access to Taunt preventing them from recovering off damage done by Kommo. This Kommo also alleviates the teams weakness to Greninja by being able to setup on it even after Stealth Rock damage when Choice Scarf Greninja is locked into Ice Beam. Overall Kommo-o is a more meta option in Generation 7 and also provides some form of a faster attacker since Choice Scarf Latias is noticably weaker than its counterpart Latios. Also Choice Specs Hydreigon is redundant alongside Latios, which is the better Choice Specs user and the thing you said you wanted to build around so replacing Hydreigon for Kommo-o is the best replacement for the team.
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 240-284 (78.6 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Trick

This Latios set does a few things, firstly you do not really need Ice Beam on Latios as Kyurem-Black already has a STAB Ice Beam which makes it a redundant slot on the team. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire can cripple Steel-type Draco Meteor switchins such as Celesteela and Ferrothorn. Psyshock allows Latios to hit Chansey for respectable damage. Trick Latios also allows you to take advantage of Healing Wish Latias without thinking that Trick should be fitted on the team somehow.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

This Garchomp set is better for a few reasons than the Bulky Chomp set the team has. It acts as an emergency check to Mega Diancie by preserving its Focus Sash and then revenge killing it with Earthquake. Dragon should not really struggle to take down Tapu Bulu and Gyarados which are some of the Pokemon you mention that Garchomp set is used for and ideally you can severely weaken Azumarill with Earthquake or OHKO it with Kyurem-Black.

Anyway these are my suggestions to make the team more effective. Hope my rate helps!

Last edited:
Hey. This team looks pretty cool, and mega-less Dragon is pretty interesting. I only have 1 real suggestion:

Change the Garchomp spread: You did mention how Mega Diancie is a big problem for the team. You should definitely try 252 HP / 100 Def / 64 SpD / 92 Spe with a Careful nature to always live a Moonblast from Mega Diancie from full health.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 64 SpD / 92 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

or you can just do what Exca said and run a Sash set, but the bulky set's still fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)