Comfey Discussion

Triage was confirmed to give Draining Kiss priority in the mechanics research thread.
Was it really? Where did this come from? Also, did it say what priority bracket it was in?

EDIT: Found the information. YES! Priority Draining Kiss! But still not sure about the priority bracket.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My first reaction to this was that it's outclassed by Florges, but then I saw its ability. Fast Recovery is a massive deal, it's the main reason that otherwise frail Pokemon like Starmie, Sableye and Talonflame (may it rest in peace) can get away with bulky sets.
Now, if I'm not mistaken, Florges's only truly viable set in UU at the moment is Moonblast / Synthesis / Calm Mind / Aromatherapy, due to Sylveon outclassing both offensive and cleric sets. Comfey can pull off the exact same set but with Draining Kiss over Moonblast (wtf GF why do none of the gen 7 Fairies get Moonblast), and while the lower HP may seem like a problem, its physical bulk is actually very, very slightly superior to that of Florges thanks to its much higher base Defense, as you can see here:

252 Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 369-435 (102.5 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Comfey: 312-367 (101.9 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Its special bulk is obviously nowhere near as good, but that's not such a big deal for a CM user, especially since Comfey's higher Speed will enable it to set up CMs vs slower special attackers like Nidoqueen more easily. Of course, having much, much less initial power and lacking Moonblast can be an issue, but being guaranteed to recover first is such a huge advntage that I can totally see this outclassing Florges, and not the other way round

Last edited:
82 SpA is kind of underwhelming, and the bulk isn't amazing, but the priority healing is interesting.

A LO CM/Draining Kiss set interests me, as a stallbreaker and also a threat against offensive teams. It also has a pretty fast subseed, if I wanted to use it I might try something like:
-Leftovers
-Sub
-Seed
-Draining Kiss
-CM / Toxic / Aromatherapy / Synthesis / Taunt

Could be pretty decent.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think you guys fully understand the power of Toxic Stall + Priority self healing...
priority healing can be bad sometimes though, cuz you'd want to heal the attack they'll dish out this turn but you wouldn't be able to, cuz u'll always heal up 1st.

this looks like a bad pokemon honestly, i'd like it in lower tiers cuz it looks interesting enough.

I'm with Absolclaw, I expected this to be kinda another Chimecho. It's bizarre but appreciated how I don't think GF made anything boring/mediocre this gen except for probably Gumshoos, whose combined frailty and slowness is going to cramp it greatly in both PU Doubles and Singles

It's funny how this thing's best/only "coverage" is literally near useless because Grass is not only resisted by literally the exact same things as Fairy, but it's resisted by MORE, and there are things immune to Grass but nothing immune to Fairy. Factoring in there's no STAB I think running Dazzling Gleam and Draining Kiss on the same set would be more useful than Draining Kiss/Energy Ball, unless you really wanna hit Dazzling Bruxish and have nothing to hit Queenly Majesty Tsareena with, or if you want to fish for SpD drops.

Doubles set tentative:

Jordan (Comfey) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 52 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Floral Healing
- Grassy Terrain
- Calm Mind

Defensively oriented because Calm Mind patches up Special Defense, and specially offensive EVs allow Comfey to hit just a bit harder. In doubles this thing doesn't HAVE to endure as much abuse as singles, by a long margin, since walls get ignored in doubles as long as there's a sweeper or greater offensive presence on the field. Also, this thing can die and you suffer less since this pokemon is less of a wall and more of a terrain setter. Speed EVs outspeed enemy Comfeys LOL.

Grassy Terrain I guess just to be able to use Floral Healing, which is what I "wanna" try out with this pokemon. But I'm not "excited" by the prospect, and Comfe sacrifices Synthesis/Aromatherapy to fit both moves. Calm Mind/Draining Kiss allow Comfey to do anything offensively. Grassy Terrain is also needed so Comfey can remove Psychic Terrains, which otherwise leave it completely walled.

^ Don't really like this set TBH

Does anyone know what Flower Shield does? I'm not seeing anything in the move data list about it's description/effects.

Does anyone know what Flower Shield does? I'm not seeing anything in the move data list about it's description/effects.
It's a fairy-type move Introduced in Gen VI that raises the Defense of all Grass types on the Field. Last gen the Pokemon that got it were Sunflora, Cherrim, and Florges.

So in other words, for Florges and Comfey, it has absolutely no use in Singles, unless you want to raise the defense of an opposing Grass type for some reason.

Triage gives +3 priority, correct?

Its yet another pure Fairy type that totally looks part Grass.
I would also like to know this. What priority bracket?

EDIT: "Triage gives +3 priority to damaging moves that restore HP (i.e Giga Drain, etc) alongside status moves that restore HP." (UltiMario)

Last edited:
I'm with Absolclaw, I expected this to be kinda another Chimecho. It's bizarre but appreciated how I don't think GF made anything boring/mediocre this gen except for probably Gumshoos, whose combined frailty and slowness is going to cramp it greatly in both PU Doubles and Singles
I agree, this gen really allows for creativity and mindgames with most of it's new additions. I have to disagree about Gumshoos though. While it will probably end up in low tier, the fact that it gets Yawn and Stakeout allow it to absolutely SMACK whatever is going to come in next. There are a lot of mind games to be played with that ability. Really, most of these new abilities and moves allow for mind games and focus more on player ability then straight up "click-and-win" like previous gens have introduced.

EDIT: I digress, however, since this is the Comfey thread. I will say that the super priority to healing, especially Draining Kiss, has a lot of use that's hard to judge just on paper. Giga Drain move tutor would be awesome for it.

I agree, this gen really allows for creativity and mindgames with most of it's new additions. I have to disagree about Gumshoos though. While it will probably end up in low tier, the fact that it gets Yawn and Stakeout allow it to absolutely SMACK whatever is going to come in next. There are a lot of mind games to be played with that ability. Really, most of these new abilities and moves allow for mind games and focus more on player ability then straight up "click-and-win" like previous gens have introduced.

EDIT: I digress, however, since this is the Comfey thread. I will say that the super priority to healing, especially Draining Kiss, has a lot of use that's hard to judge just on paper. Giga Drain move tutor would be awesome for it.
I agree with your general points very much; I really appreciate the exciting strategies and combos GF's given us with these new pokemon. Most of these pokemon seem well thought out. As for Gumshoos, that's a really cool strategy I hadn't considered yet; but, 88/60/60 defenses are keeping this thing alive barely if at all after one hit from any invested attacker, and 45 speed means this thing is going to need to take hits. Also, how are you going to Yawn if you get blown back by any offensive pokemon? I guess Gumshoos could Protect while its ally Trick Rooms, though.

Besides, with two pokemon on the field, the opponent isn't incredibly forced to switch, so that strategy might be effective only part of the time. I guess in singles that strategy could fare better, but it sounds shaky to me at best.

Anyway, you're right, we should get back to Comfey though. I'm bothered that this thing can't Floral Heal itself. I guess it makes sense in a way but I think it'd be logical for this thing to be able to heal itself with its flowers, idk. If Floral Healing was self- and ally-target, I would actually be a little excited to run this thing. As is, Comfey seems kinda stale and "whatever" to me. The movepool is so sparse and there's only more or less one and a half strategies with this thing, so I think it'd get predicted and played around super easy as well.

Would be interesting for this thing to prolong the life of its partner through priority healing, have that partner boost up, and then Comfey can Psych Up those boosts. Not sure if that's a realistic strategy.

This thing does learn Helping Hand and Trick Room giving it use in Doubles. With priority healing-damaging-moves, it can operate both inside of and outside of Trick Room and you can likely distribute its EVs to improve bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)