ORAS LC criss cross applesauce (6-0 in important tours)

Introduction
Hi people, this is a team I made 1 month ago, and I really like it. I decided to post this team here on this forum because it's pretty good, and has done pretty well in recent tournaments. I built it around SD HJK Riolu, a Pokemon that I feel is really underrated in this meta, because once it boosts up, it gets really hard to stop.

Introduction

I built this team around SD HJK Riolu, so I started off with it.

I then added Mienfoo, because it can spread Knock Offs and drop all fairies in the meta in +2 Iron Tail range. Also, it can spam taunt and prevent hazards from getting on my side.

Afterwards, I decided to add Tirtouga. I did this because Fletchling literally shredded this team without any problem, and because I lacked a rocker. Tirtouga also had some extra benefits in Scald, Aqua Jet, and beating Archen.

After that, I added Gastly. I made Gastly my fourth Pokemon because it's a great wallbreaker, and a great late game cleaner. With two big threats in Riolu and Mienfoo, a Gastly could easily clean up late game without any problem. It also acted as an answer to fairies.

From here, I realized that this team was really, really, really, really weak to Abra and Gastly. Because of this, I put in Stunky. But like the rest of my team, I didn't just add Stunky because it beats Abra. Stunky is also my source of hazard removal, which I desperately needed, and basically counters Ferroseed.

Last but not least, I put in Chinchou. Chinchou was added for a second Fletchling answer, because Tirtouga would get worn down a lot, cause' it's my pivot. Chinchou also provides the team with Heal Bell, which beats the status that would probably destroy my team.

Team

Riolu @ Eviolite | Prankster
Adamant Nature | 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
High Jump Kick | Iron Tail | Swords Dance | Copycat

This is basically the standard Riolu, but I added Iron Tail because Iron Tail gives it the coverage to potentially sweep a slow team on its own. Bulky Fairies like Snubbull and Spritzee die to a +2 Iron Tail after Stealth Rock (Spritzee has 50% chance to die, but thats implying Spritzee isn't damaged already...). High Jump Kick is the move you're gonna be spamming most of the time, a 130 BP STAB coming off of 17 Atk in LC is nothing short of nasty - and of course, Copycat is there to abuse that monstrous High Jump Kick damage. Copycat basically gives you a +1 Priority HJK, so yeah, that's devastating.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite | Regenerator
Jolly Nature | 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Drain Punch | Knock Off | U-Turn | Taunt

Mienfoo was basically a must on this team. With Taunt, Mienfoo can prevent any type of hazards going up on my side on Turn 1, which really helps me because my team doesn't really appreciate them too much. Another thing Mienfoo excels at is knocking things off. With Mienfoo spreading Knock Offs everywhere, Riolu and Gastly have a much easier time breaking walls. Mienfoo can also counter Pawniard, a Pokemon that is very dangerous if left alone.

Tirtouga @ Eviolite | Solid Rock
Sassy Nature | 84 HP / 252 Def / 165 SpD
Stone Edge / Scald / Stealth Rock / Aqua Jet

Tirtouga is this teams Stealth Rocker, and I must say, it does its job very well. As you can probably tell, my team has a kind of big weakness to Drilbur (?) and Tirtouga really helps with this. Although I do have Mienfoo to take 2 EQs at full HP, if it loses its Eviolite, I risk losing the game to a speed tie. Tirt can Aqua Jet the Drilbur and knock it into a range where I have like 3 choices to revenge it with (Sucker Punch from Stunky, Shadow Ball from Gastly, Riolu can possibly Copycat the EQ and kill it, and Mienfoo can revenge with Drain Punch). Tirtouga is also my main Fletchling counter, although he may be weakened, which is why I have Chinchou. Stone Edge kills all birds that threaten the team, like Fletch and Archen, and Scald is just for spreading burns and doing damage.

Gastly @ Life Orb | Levitate
Timid Nature | 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
Shadow Ball | Sludge Bomb | Substitute | Dazzling Gleam

Gastly really helps this team. With two powerful STABs in Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, Gastly can break through most walls, especially with a Life Orb equipped. Gastly helps soften walls up for a Riolu sweep, which is this teams main objective throughout a game. I use Substitute to gain initiative off of forced switches, which really helps me out. Also, I can dodge Sucker Punches.

Stunky @ Eviolite | Aftermath
Careful Nature | 124 Def / 112 Spa / 164 SpD / 104 Spe
Fire Blast | Defog | Sucker Punch | Pursuit

Stunky is what I use to counter Abra and Gastly, which would otherwise demolish this team with the click of a button. But, obviously, Stunky isn't here just for that purpose. Stunky is a great answer to Ferroseed, which can be a huge annoyance with Thunder Wave and Bullet Seed, even if I have two Fighting-types. Also, Stunky is my hazard remover, because I felt I really needed one on this team; otherwise, my pivots would be worn down too quickly and I'd be fucked.

Chinchou @ Berry Juice | Volt Absorb
Bold Nature | 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Scald | Volt Switch | Heal Bell | Hidden Power [Ground]

Chinchou is my second and last Fletchling check (next to Tirtouga). I added Chou to this team because it, again, checked Fletchling, and it can get rid of status that would otherwise wreck me. Chinchou can also spread burns with Scald, and get out easily with Volt Switch, making it a perfect pivot (Berry Juice makes that pivot role even better). I have HP Ground to deal with opposing Chinchous and to kill Magnemites.

Threatlist

There's not a lot of Pokemon this team doesn't like facing up with, so this list is gonna be fairly small.

SunnyBeam Ponyta wrecks me wtf
Evio Drilbur is pretty easy to play around, but a Scarf Drilbur might be more difficult to play around if played well

(if u spot anymore holes lmk cuz i made this at 12 ;_;)

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-258902805 vs Tricking (LCPL)http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-267695161 vs PDC (LC Open Round 2)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-83163 vs FireMage (LC Open Round 1) (this is me playing)
this team has like 1 or 2 more appearances in lc open (which were won) but i dont think the replays were saved

SHOUTOUTS

Water Drone so own
Infamy even more own WTF

IMPORTABLE!!!!

http://pastebin.com/1KXT3Q58

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi inscribe, nice team there, I've some suggestions to hopefully make it better.

Hidden Power Fight over Dazzling Gleam on Gastly, HP Fight will allow you to hit much harder Pawn on the switchin, and you don't really need Dazzling Gleam because you can deal with Scrafty with Mienfoo and Riolu, and Vullaby is 2HKOed by Sludge Bomb anyway.

Gastly @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Level: 5
EVs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I've noticed that your team has an huge weakness to BU Timburr, that can setup on everything bar Gastly and Riolu, and if it gets a boost in late game it can easily win the match. Vullaby over Stunky can help you patch up this weakness, being able to check Gastly and Abra, while providing Defog support. It also removes a ground weakness which helps with Drilbur.

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off

That's all I have, I hope this was useful n__n!

My only real suggestion is that you replace stunky with a timburr to patch up your HUGE weakness to the dark type as a whole.

Timburrrrrrrrrr (Timburr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Atk / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Hi inscribe, nice team there, I've some suggestions to hopefully make it better.

Hidden Power Fight over Dazzling Gleam on Gastly, HP Fight will allow you to hit much harder Pawn on the switchin, and you don't really need Dazzling Gleam because you can deal with Scrafty with Mienfoo and Riolu, and Vullaby is 2HKOed by Sludge Bomb anyway.

Gastly @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I've noticed that your team has an huge weakness to BU Timburr, that can setup on everything bar Gastly and Riolu, and if it gets a boost in late game it can easily win the match. Vullaby over Stunky can help you patch up this weakness, being able to check Gastly and Abra, while providing Defog support. It also removes a ground weakness which helps with Drilbur.

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off

That's all I have, I hope this was useful n__n!

Yeah, I don't really like running HP Fight on Gastly in general. But on this team specifically, I think Dazzling Gleam is objectively better because Gastly is my only Pokemon that can reliably take down a knock off'd Mienfoo. I don't really need to run HP Fight because I have 2 fighting types that can easily hand pawn anyway, as well as tirt and stunky.

As for vulla > stunky, I don't really want to trust vulla as my abra / gastly check because after SR is set, its a very shaky check. Stunky however can come in once and get rid of it, even if they're sash because of the many types of priority on my team.

My only real suggestion is that you replace stunky with a timburr to patch up your HUGE weakness to the dark type as a whole.

Timburrrrrrrrrr (Timburr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Atk / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
thanks hakeem

Reactions: Ary
Hello inscribe! Your team is very cool, and the art even better! The team's pretty solid and other than a few EV spread changes there's not a lot to fix.

-On Riolu, use a spread of 196 HP / 196 Atk / 116 Spe with an Adamant Nature. Your current spread hits higher defenses, but they don't change damage rolls drastically (I did some calcs of like Mienfoo's Drain Punch or Chou's Scald and it maybe reduces 1 damage if that.) The higher HP this spread gives lets it take hits just a little easier and set up.

-Stunky should run an ev spread of 12 HP / 92 Atk / 60 Def / 108 SpA / 188 SpD / 4 Spe with a Brave Nature. Your stunky spread right now has a much lower chance to 2HKO Pawniard with Fire Blast, and also does not OHKO Gothita with Pursuit if Gothita switches out. By running 15 Attack you OHKO Gothita while switching out and also OHKO Abra and Gastly with Pursuit even if they stay in, while the Special Attack EVs ensure a 2HKO on Pawniard.

-This is more optional than anything else cause Taunt is really good and SunnyBeam Ponyta is really uncommon, but running Stone Edge over Taunt on Mienfoo can lure it in for a 2HKO, and it can't burn you cause it's not a contact move.

Other than that there's no changes to make really, Vullaby would be nice as a Timburr check but it gets 2HKOed by opposing Gastly and doesn't trap them so it doesn't help Riolu well enough. Keeping Stunky also means you have to keep Dazzling Gleam on your Gastly in order to do enough damage for Riolu to revenge kill Timburr. So that's all for the team, hope you stick around in LC :)

I found Scraggy to be a bit of an issue when testing out this team. It can set up DD on Stunky and if you fail to burn it with scald it takes the whole team to it's knees with +1 Knock Off + Drain Punch. Mienfoo can help but if you miss HJK or it was weakened earlier it's game over.

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to LC and could just be using the team terribly wrong

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Riolu can copy cat HJK (75% chance to OHKO) or Drain Punch if they are low enough (does 55%ish). You can also play around HJK with Mienfoo and Gastly.

gali

I just wanna grill, man!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
id just like to point out that this team is actually 6-1 in important tours
nice team tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)