Darmanitan [QC: 2/3]

QC: [Swamp Link] [] []
GP: [] [] []

Welcome to the zoo...

Serebii XY Pokedex | Smogon BW2 OU | Research Thread
Overview
########
  • Astounding 140 base Attack coupled with Sheer Force makes it incredibly difficult to switch into
  • Pitiful defenses
  • Unimpressive Speed for an offensive Pokemon
  • Susceptible to every and all entry hazards, making hazard control almost compulsory
  • Along with hazards, Flare Blitz recoil can quickly end it’s short lifespan

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Superpower
move 4: U-Turn
ability: Sheer Force
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========
  • Flare Blitz is Darmanitan's most powerful STAB; along with the boost from Sheer Force, it hits everything not resistant to it hard.
  • Rock Slide covers Dragonite, Gyarados, and many opposing Fire-types.
  • Superpower hits Tyranitar and Heatran.
  • U-Turn gains momentum, scouting for switches in order to switch in a more favorable matchup; this is especially useful for a Choice wielder.
Set Details
========
  • Choice Scarf defines it's role as a revenge killer.
  • EV spread is standard for Darmanitan, maxing out Atk and Spe.
  • An Adamant nature is preferred for this set, as Darmanitan wants as much power it can get; With Adamant, Darmanitan obtains the following KOs:
    252+ Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 309-364 (88 - 103.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    252+ Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 322-381 (100.6 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO 252+ Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 382-451 (96.9 - 114.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • However, a Jolly nature allows Darmanitan to outspeed and revenge kill neutral-natured base 100 Speed threats at +1, such as Mega Charizard X.
Usage Tips
========
  • With a Choice Scarf, Darmanitan is great at coming in for revenge kills, KO'ing normally faster, frailer Pokemon.
  • Late-game, it can potentially clean up the opponent's team once they've been significantly weakened.
  • Bear in mind that if the opponent has set up Stealth Rock and or additional hazards, it may be wise to keep Darmanitan out of the fray unless it can come in on a Pokemon it can threaten, or if hazards have been removed.
  • Highly suggested to spam U-Turn often, as Darmanitan forces a lot of switches.
Team Options
========
  • A good spinner or Defogger is necessary, as Darmanitan's role as a revenge killer means that it will be switching out frequently, and Stealth Rock and recoil damage will make short work of it otherwise. Starmie, Mega Blastoise, Latias, and Scizor are adept at this and share decent synergy with Darmanitan.
  • Teammates that can soften bulky Water-types for Darmanitan are appreciated, with Ferrothorn, Kyurem-B, and Mega Venusaur being suitable. Thundurus-I deserves a special mention for also being able to easily paralyze opponents, letting Darmanitan outpace and smash normally faster checks.
  • Generally, sweepers that can take advantage of it's wallbreaking, such as Manaphy, Landorus, and Thundurus, make for good teammates.
  • If desired, Sun support from Ninetales, or alternate Sun setters as Heat Rock Deoxys-S and Latias, greatly increase Flare Blitz's power, making it a proficient wallbreaker in Sun

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Superpower
move 4: U-Turn
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========
  • Flare Blitz is it's most powerful STAB, packing a ridiculous punch.
  • Rock Slide provides additional coverage against various Fire and Flying-types that resist Flare Blitz, and Sheer Force increases it's power output near that of Stone Edge.
  • Superpower hits Tyranitar and Heatran.
  • U-Turn maintains momentum.
Set Details
========
  • A Life Orb is standard for the power boost, but with a Choice Band, Darmanitan refrains from additional recoil and gains even more power, albeit being restricted to a single move. Note that if it uses Flare Blitz or Rock Slide, it can temporarily bluff a Choice item.
  • Adamant is once again preferred for maximum wallbreaking potential, and outspeeds up to positive-natured Gyarados, though Jolly lets it outspeed up to positive-natured base 100s.
Usage Tips
========
  • Wallbreaks; STAB Flare Blitz threatens many Pokemon, while it's coverage moves save for those that Flare Blitz doesn't.
  • Early game wallbreaker that can be played pretty recklessly.
  • It's massive damage output makes it difficult to counter: Latios, Latias, Gliscor, and some bulky waters can be 2HKO'd by Flare Blitz, and Mega Charizard X, Heatran, and Terrakion are all wrecked by coverage moves.
  • Decent Speed lets it outpace most, if not every, relevant defensive threat.
  • U-Turn may be suggestive if holding a Choice Band.
Team Options
========
  • Per usual, a Rapid Spinner or Defogger is crucial in order to make the most out of Darmanitan's longevity without being neutered by entry hazards.
  • Darmanitan is sufficient at punching holes mid-game, so sweepers that can clean up weakened teams with ease, such as Dragonite, Gyarados, and Suicune, make good teammates.
  • As with the Choice Scarf set, teammates capable of handling Water-types that may be a burden to Darmanitan are still appreciated. Because a slower Darmanitan is easier to check, however, Thundurus-I's ability to paralyze faster threats is even more valuable.
  • Teammates able to provide Sun support essentially turn Flare Blitz into a nuke, letting it 2HKO would-be counters as Gyarados, Quagsire, and Suicune

Other Options
########
  • SubSalac + Belly Drum
  • Earthquake
  • Fire Punch
  • Zen Headbutt to revenge kill Keldeo w/ Scarf

Checks & Counters
########
  • Bulky Water-types such as Quagsire, Rotom-W (has to watch out for All-Out Attacker), Gyarados, and Suicune
  • Garchomp
  • Latios/Latias
  • Priority users: Azumarill switches into anything, Talonflame revenge kills
  • Terrakion
  • Zygarde
  • Gliscor
  • Politoed
  • Heatran
  • Mega Charizard X
  • Revenge killers and faster Choice Scarf users
  • Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Yeah, LO recoil isn't really worth mentioning in the overview since your main 2 attacks don't have any, and especially since the main set doesn't even use LO. SR and Flare Blitz are the big problems that wear Darm down.

On the all-out attacker set,
  • Rock Slide provides additional coverage against Dragonite, Gyarados, and Talonflame, and Sheer Force increases it's power output near that of Stone Edge
  • Superpower is specifically for Heatran and Tyranitar
  • U-Turn maintains momentum
  • Earthquake hits Tentacruel and Heatran harder than anything else, although it's coverage is often redundant
Rock Slide is especially useful due to its accuracy and lack of recoil.
Superpower is not specifically for Heatran... it's for TTar. Tar also gets hit hard by EQ and U-Turn anyway so I don't see the point in Superpower getting the 2nd moveslot at all. Rock Slide deserves the 2nd slot for that vital coverage, and Superpower / EQ slashed in the 3rd. It's up to whether you want to OHKO TTar, or guarantee an OHKO on Heatran and hit Tentacruel as well. There's nothing "redundant" about EQ if it's slashed with Superpower.

Also I think Choice Band should be slashed on that set. CB U-Turn is much more useful than LO thanks to no recoil, and the power boost from CB is necessary to guarantee 2HKOs on things like Rotom (and you're going to be Flare Blitz-ing most of the time anyway):

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 123-146 (40.4 - 48%)
252 Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 142-168 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

All noted and updated. Rock Slide's higher accuracy is obvious in itself, and because Superpower and Earthquake ensure OHKOs against Tyranitar and Heatran, respectively, I've slashed them.

Last edited:
Does the Life Orb Set work as a late game cleaner or a wallbreaker? I'm guessing wallbreaker due to the 95 base speed (good but not good enough, and Darmanitan has awful defenses), but could it late-game clean?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah nothing is really that mandatory to be listed in OO. All I can think of was:

- Hammer Arm on Scarf kind of works if you don't want the Attack / Defense drop. Obvious risks come into play, though, like being outsped after one Hammer Arm from Scarf Heatran or some crazy shit.
- Zen Headbutt for Keldeo (Tentacruel too but it is hit roughly as hard by Earthquake).

Taunt and Encore are pretty dependent on odd situations that usually don't favor Darmanitan and Substitute + Focus Punch only really works against Blissey and Pokemon switching out of Darmanitan.

Does the Life Orb Set work as a late game cleaner or a wallbreaker? I'm guessing wallbreaker due to the 95 base speed (good but not good enough, and Darmanitan has awful defenses), but could it late-game clean?
Primarily a wallbreaker. It does have sufficient Speed to clean late-game, though.

no zen mode set
Yeah, that was a filler. I just thought it should be mentioned to note to not use it.

Mention unimpressive Speed for an offensive Pokemon in the overview as a flaw.

Usage Tips on Choice Scarf, talk about how spamming U-turn as a scarfer is good.

Thundurus is a really cool teammate, paralyzing stuff so Darmanitan can smash anything faster than it. Also, stuff that can take advantage of its wallbreaking. This goes for both sets, really.

Really minor thing, but I think the slashes would be neater on All-Out Attacker if you just put Superpower and Earthquake as the primary options in slots 3 and 4 and then slash U-Turn behind both.

In Set Details, mention that because of Sheer Force it can bluff a Choice item with Life Orb.

Talk about how the All-Out Attacker is an early game wallbreaker that can be played pretty recklessly.

Mention the problems things have with countering it. For example, Latios, Latias, Gliscor, and some bulky waters can be 2HKO'd by Flare Blitz, and Mega Charizard X, Heatran, and Terrakion are wrecked by coverage moves. When in doubt, something faster, but that's a problem with the scarfer, and it's so strong. Talk about priority users too. For example, Azumarill switches into anything, Talonflame revenge kills.

Do these and you can consider yourself

Stamp.gif

QC 1/3

Not QC, but just a couple of things i've noticed:

The overview should stress how it is extremely tough to switch in safely against Darm. Also i think the part about being immune to burn due to Fire-typing kinda goes without saying, it isn't really relevant for an overview.

I don't think Zen Mode and support moves like w-o-w should even be mentioned in OO; they are gimmicks at best. Belly Drum and bulk up are also pretty borderline to mention imo but they're not on the same level as zen mode i guess.

Just some little things you may want to consider, nice job otherwise

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Mention defensive zard X as targets for Rock SLide / EQ please, that set has become somewhat of a trend

Lol what Rotom-W.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 133-156 (43.7 - 51.3%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Just some suggestions thingies here:
- I think the analysis should mention Ninetales as a teammate. It does stack weaknesses, and sun isn't permanent anymore, but boy how powerful is a sun-boosted Flare Blitz. Note that in sunlight, some of Life Orb Darm's counters are now 2HKOed after SR damage.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Sun: 188-222 (46.5 - 54.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire in Sun: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados in Sun: 160-190 (40.7 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

As a matter of fact, with a CB, they don't even need SR damage (Gyarados isn't guaranteed to be 2HKOed but it sits at a good 74.2% chance of being 2HKOed, assuming 248/252 positive spread).

- I'm curious about that little 4 Def leftovers. I personally would put 'em to Sp. Def for random Download users (I know Genesect is gone but still can be useful for the occasional Porygons and co.)
- SubSalac + Belly Drum for OO. It's a generally unreliable and risky strategy, but if you can pull it off with success (and if Darm's checks and counters are gone), sweep incoming.

I would also mention alternate sun setters, such as Heat Rock Deoxys-S and Latias. This is because Ninetales is often a subpar choice on most teams for obvious reasons, and Deoxys-S can also set up Stealth Rock while Latias can clear hazards with Defog.

I'm curious about that little 4 Def leftovers. I personally would put 'em to Sp. Def for random Download users (I know Genesect is gone but still can be useful for the occasional Porygons and co.)
Download is competely irrelevant to OU as the only remotely viable Pokemon that has access to it is Porygon2, which not only always runs Trace but is an awful switch-in to Darmanitan. I don't see how it could possibly be less relevant.

Ash Borer

mention sun support somewhere in team options on both sets Darmanitan is a ver proficient sun wallbreaker even with a choice scarf.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

this was given its second check when we only required 2 to write so get on it when you're satisfied with your skeleton.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For OO add Encore, Taunt, and Toxic. Also add Zen Mode, Sleep Talk, and a Bulk Up set.
But why would you ever use Zen Mode? It's slow, has a shitty defensive typing, and will probably get OHKO'd since you need to be at <50%HP to even activate it. Same goes for Sleep Talk; Darmanitan's horrendous 55 / 55 defences probably won't even let him survive neutral hits.
Bulk Up might be usable due to all the switches it forces, but things like Greninja and Latios still outspeed and OHKO, and Darm is probably too frail to set up.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)