Dec 25 - Jan 7 - Iron Leaves/Walking Wake 5* Raid Rerun

The next Tera Raid Battle event has been announced for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet This event will feature the return of Walking Wake and Iron leaves to 5 Star Raid Battles. If you caught them previously, you cannot catch them again
This event will run from 00:00 UTC on December 25th through 23:59 UTC on January 7th 2023
As a reminder, these two aren't needed for the Blueberry Dex completion, though they have entries. Basically mythic-adjacent.

im rlly glad these are being rerun, i missed the event originally for irl reasons

If I picked up Scarlet today would I be competitive to battle and catch these by the 7th?
you could always get help too by someone lending you a good mon for the raid or being carried online?

Also from what I remind, assuming you have someone inviting you, you can just grab a lvl 100 from them and join their raid(s), as obedience is ignored in raids

ha ha ha why the FUCK are these guys raid-exclusive to begin with…
tbfh good question, it was fine as "surprise event" before this DLC since they were not allowed in VGC anyway, but I was expecting them to be just present in the wild or catchable as one-of (like the other 4 new ones)

We'll never know.

Realistically, make sure to get them while they're available, as I don't think we'll get a 3rd rerun for this.

You know what would have been funny? If the third trio member was in the opposite version. Like Walking Wake being event only for Scarlet but a normal encounter in Violet. Just to bother people looking for patterns and symmetry.

On the bright side for these raids, they’re doable with already-standard Raid battlers so they’re fairly accessible, especially with Stellar Tera being a thing now for Hands or Gambit

Azumarill is a pretty solid counter to Walking Wake as noted by the first solo guide videos I could find using it, but I wanted to see if it could beat Iron Leaves and other bosses that I didn't try Azumarill on initially. Iron Leaves is very frustrating to fight with its random Swords Dances, and being a 5 star raid makes its move choices seem rather random still.

Since it has a stat reset at 50% HP while the shield goes up at 55% HP, I decided to try to set up Mud-Slaps to hopefully dodge all the +6 attacks and go for a big tera hit before the shield to beat it and skip the reset like Stored Power does, or alternatively break the shield while above 25% HP and then kill on the free turn afterwards while I still have my boosts. I ended up choosing to go for Tail Whips early on as well to get the damage I needed out of Play Rough, but a super effective tera* would have worked as well. I also put Bright Powder on Azumarill over Shell Bell as I needed to dodge most attacks and it would be over in one hit ideally. Initially I was trying Sap Sipper, but for this clear I needed Huge Power for upfront power. Deaths would be fine since I would only need about 2/3 free turns to set up Belly Drum, an attack cheer, and hit Play Rough depending on if I got speed lowering CPUs or not.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Play Rough vs. -2 Lvl 75 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Psychic Iron Leaves: 2804-3300 (57.6 - 67.9% of 20x hp boss) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Atk Cheer Play Rough vs. -2 Lvl 75 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Psychic Iron Leaves: 4204-4948 (86.5 - 101.8% of 20x hp boss) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

1703467341050.png

1703467347526.png

On my first attempt with this strategy, I ended up getting Quark Drive to boost SpD which must have been Calm or an imperfect Atk IV or something. I also had Intimidate Tauros letting me survive some early turns including a random Megahorn choice. I then set up some Tail Whips, but then Heracross started landing some Bulk Up boosted Megahorns, and so the NPCs ended up destroying half of Iron Leaves's health bar themselves.

EDIT: I forgot Intimidate guarantees Quark Drive boosts SpD.

1703466929190.png
1703467229374.png

1703467506330.png
1703467579353.png

I barely managed to survive another hit** and it must have not gone to +6 yet, so I got one Mud-Slap in before dying. Then I set 2 more Mud-Slaps up smoothly for 45% accuracy dodges, and got my Belly Drum in before Play Roughing to break the shield. The AI actually ended up getting the killing blow immediately afterwards, so I did not get the text saying Iron Leaves fainted on my screen which will be my next goal. But there's another event boss win for Azumarill.

1703467586414.png

*Alternative options: It turns out a SE 100BP Stellar Tera Blast with 1.2x STAB does the exact same damage as an 80 BP 1.5x STAB Tera Blast, because the BP difference of 1.25x exactly makes up for it.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Tera Dark Azumarill Atk Cheer Tera Blast (80 BP) vs. Lvl 75 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Psychic Iron Leaves: 2804-3300 (57.6 - 67.9% of 20x hp boss) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Tera Stellar Azumarill Atk Cheer Tera Blast (100 BP) vs. Lvl 75 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Psychic Iron Leaves: 2804-3300 (57.6 - 67.9% of 20x hp boss) -- guaranteed 2HKO

**The Leaf Blade I took did 198 damage on the last turn of the defense cheer. Iron Leaves was probably only at +2 (2 SDs after 2 Tauros Intimidates) if it was Calm with imperfect Attack as far as I can tell.
+2 Lvl 75 0- Atk Tera Psychic Iron Leaves Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill through Def Cheer: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO

1703471567827.png

EDIT: I got the proper kill screen with a new team of Weavile/Drifblim/Gardevoir. Here I went to -2 Defense with a Weavile Leer and used Pixie Plate to guarantee breaking the shield from 55% without an attack cheer, so I only needed to Belly Drum once between setup and not risk Weavile chipping to the point of a reset, though I think an early death caused the shield to go up slightly early anyway. Drifblim's burn also helped survival while Gardevoir's Life Dew was more relevant near the start.

+6 252+ Atk Fairy Feather Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Play Rough vs. -2 Lvl 75 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Psychic Iron Leaves: 3364-3958 (69.2 - 81.4% of 20x hp boss) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The shield takes 80% damage from matching tera, so Azumarill hits for at least 55% with a minimum roll with the 20% item boost.

Last edited:
yes
Assume anything "special" (7* raids, these two, dialga/palkia) are always shiny locked in raids unless otherwise stated. Other "normal" event raids like the Blisseys or Mismagius or whatever, have standard rates.
Thanks. Just kind of lame to have it a 3rd time, without it being shiny. Suppose if you missed it the first two times it is a nice opportunity.

Thanks. Just kind of lame to have it a 3rd time, without it being shiny. Suppose if you missed it the first two times it is a nice opportunity.
The third rerun was pretty much only for VGC players who may have missed it first time. WW/IL are legal in regulation F, and you can only get them from the raid event.

The third rerun was pretty much only for VGC players who may have missed it first time. WW/IL are legal in regulation F, and you can only get them from the raid event.
I think the third rerun was probably done because now they're "properly" tied to a wave of DLC that just came out around christmas, perfect for people who were just starting or who were coming back when all the DLC was done, but did not get it when they ran it the first time (or the second time, which was definitely only reran because of a glitch the first time).

that's insane to me that they're legal in vgc but event-exclusive. if you buy sv on jan 8th and you wanna play vgc you can't use those guys? seems very much unfair to me

that's insane to me that they're legal in vgc but event-exclusive. if you buy sv on jan 8th and you wanna play vgc you can't use those guys? seems very much unfair to me
Unfortunately, event-exclusive Pokemon have been allowed in VGC for ages, with the earliest examples being Dark Void Smeargle, level 50 Dragonite (predating level scaling), and HGSS Giratina-O.

As much as I dislike it, that's how it is.

This year VGC has been handled questionably. After gen 8 which had 0 "event exclusive" pokemon (all Gigamax and legendaries were available in game, transfer only pokemon were not legal until actually added via dlc to the wild, HAs and Gmax factor were addable via item as of dlc1), this gen featured both transfer only legal pokemon (most notably one-ofs from L.A.) and two event only pokemon (which tbh most likely wont see play but heh principle matters).

It's definitely going to be funny when Pecharunt will be excluded because it's a Mythic despite being brand new Pokemon with no prior baggage (Deoxys, Keldeo, Meloetta, etc) and should be available to everyone moving forward

but these two bozos -who the game made concessions for and treats as "extra" for Blueberry Dex completion- will be legal. At least Zoroark was breedable!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Since this IL/WW raid started, I literally cannot get into these raids. I’ve tried almost every day, at different times, and sometimes have spent 15-20 minutes doing nothing but trying to get in and refreshing the raid list - to no avail. I literally have not played a single online IL/WW raid other than my own raids on my own cart.

I don’t know if GF made changes to how raids work, or if it is simply the consequence of a huge surge of new Christmas players and a 5* event raid (which is available to more players than the 7* raids, I think) coming out at the same time. But this is worse than ever before, including the Dialga fiasco. In general, getting into ANY raids are harder than ever. And I also seem to get a lot more bizarre “communication errors” in the lobbies and the raids themselves, despite me having a blazing fast stable internet connection. My assumption is crappy game code, which has been par for the course for GF for the past couple generations imo.

Since this IL/WW raid started, I literally cannot get into these raids. I’ve tried almost every day, at different times, and sometimes have spent 15-20 minutes doing nothing but trying to get in and refreshing the raid list - to no avail. I literally have not played a single online IL/WW raid other than my own raids on my own cart.

I don’t know if GF made changes to how raids work, or if it is simply the consequence of a huge surge of new Christmas players and a 5* event raid (which is available to more players than the 7* raids, I think) coming out at the same time. But this is worse than ever before, including the Dialga fiasco. In general, getting into ANY raids are harder than ever. And I also seem to get a lot more bizarre “communication errors” in the lobbies and the raids themselves, despite me having a blazing fast stable internet connection. My assumption is crappy game code, which has been par for the course for GF for the past couple generations imo.
I've been complaining about the same for a while as well... I am not sure what's going on myself. Seems to only influence the generic raid finding bit, because when I play with my usual group of 4 in Union Circle, we haven't really had any problem in raids.
Actually I lie, we do get the odd "connection error" while playing in 4 as well, but it's rare and generally "resolves" by just reselecting the pokemon...

Haven't tried going into these raids since I already have the pair but I've definitely been running into issues since at least around the time of Hisuian Samurott, even on regular raids sometimes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)