Deceptively Deadly

Hey guys, here for my 3rd RMT, an OU team I've been using quite a bit lately. It's been doing pretty well, despite my less-than-fantastic battling skills. It has some problems, but still functions really well, so I felt an RMT was in order.

I don't really remember the teambuilding process, but I remember it began with wanting to use Breloom and Mamoswine, and ending with me replacing scarf Terrakion with Latias... but more on that later.

At a glance:
::

Heatran @Lefties
Flash Fire, Calm (+SpDef, -Atk)
248 HP, 100 SpDef, 160 Spe
>Stealth Rock
>Lava Plume
>Protect
>Earth Power/Toxic

Heatran is one of the least crucial members of the team. He lays up the ever-important rocks, but with the presence of spinners in the metagame,
even that doesn't go too well. He is a fantastic check to the Latis, Scizor, Hydreigon, Celebi, Jirachi, and Volcarona, but most of these can take a hit from him and/or pack appropriate coverage moves, so it doesn't always work ideally. Protect is a huge boon to Heatran, allowing him to scout choice pokemon, seeing if certain pokemon are choiced, scouting for coverage moves, and grabbing some easy lefties recovery. Honestly, though, I kind of want to replace Heatran because he doesn't do all that much for me aside from the aforementioned and completing a FWG core.

Vaporeon @Lefties
Hydration, Bold (+Def, -Atk)
248 HP, 252 Def, 8 SpDef
>Wish
>Protect
>Scald
>Roar

Vappy is one of the best wish-passers and bulky waters in he game. The moveset is self-explanatory (aside from possibly roar in the last slot, the only phazer on the team). Vaporeon passes wishes to a lot of my team, keeping everyone alive and healthy. It also takes hits like a pro and doesn't afraid of anybody. It deals with stat boosters and is such a good defensive pivot to Mamo, Breloom, and Scizor, and especially Latias, that he was a no-brainer on this team.

Breloom @Poison Orb
Poison Heal, Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
12 HP, 244 Atk, 252 Spe
>Substitute
>Spore
>Seed Bomb
>Focus Punch

Breloom just runs through a whole bunch of teams. Sub up on something that will switch out/can't hurt you, and proceed to have your way with the opponent. Spore eliminates problems easily, and with the new sleep mechanics, it might as well be an OHKO. Seed bomb wrecks bulky waters, making him an important part in my FWG core, and focus punch is just mad powerful.

Mamoswine@Expert Belt
Snow Cloak, Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)
>Ice Shard
>Icicle Spear
>Earthquake
>Stone Edge

Mamo is a fantastic revenger and kills off major threats like Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, Heatran, and Jirachi. The most dangerous part about it, however, is that it has nearly perfect coverage, hitting most targets with one and only one of its STABs- and once many people see the lack of LO recoil, they assume a choice band and switch into Celebi on an EQ or Jirachi on an ice move. You may ask why I use Icicle Spear, but it is only 1.5 average BP less than Icicle Crash factoring in accuracy and the average 3 hits, and hits through multiscale, focus sash/sturdy, and substitutes. I might choose to run Icicle Crash as well there, because I never really use SE, and if I do, I'll definitely switch my item to Ice Plate (I might do this anyways, the extra power could be nice).

Scizor @Lefties
Technician, Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
252 HP, 40 Atk, 216 SpDef
>Sword Dance
>Roost
>Bullet Punch
>Superpower

Ugh... when looking at the EV spread on this guy, I realized that I had put the SpDef EVs in speed... It truly attests to Scizor's bulk that I didn't notice before that, though. I can easily set up an SD with this spread, and possibly 2-3 in the right circumstances. Bullet punch revenges threats and kills off anything faster that me, and superpower destroys Heatran and Magnezone switch-ins. Bulky SD is a really successful set, taking down a lot of threats while applying both offensive and defensive pressure on the opponent.

Latias @LO
Levitate, Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
152 HP, 176 SpAtk, 180 Spe
>Draco Meteor
>Psyshock
>Hidden Power [Fire]
>Recover

You're probably asking "Why Latias if you want an offensive pokemon?" Well, I need a good defensive pivot, having resistances and the bulk to tank hits, and also deal a hurting on the opponents' team. Draco meteor hits like a truck, but isn't spammable so I use it sparingly. Psyshock is great, 2HKOing many specially defensive checks like some Jellicent, Politoed, bulky Rotom-W, and kills off the fighting types Latias freely switches in on. HP fire destroys the common Scizor switch-ins, but unfortunately leaves me walled by Heatran. On the bright side, SpDef Heatran takes a solid chunk of damage from Psyshock and can't hit back hard enough to take down a Latias with recover- even with LO you have a chance to win the exchange. Latias is just such a crucial member of the team- hitting hard, taking on threats, and still outspeeding neutral base 100s!

Importable:
Mamoswine (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Stone Edge

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Focus Punch

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 100 SDef / 160 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Earth Power

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Roar

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

So there ya go. Please leave comments, suggestions, etc.!

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Although rare, Shell Smash Gorebyss (ok, pretty really rare) and DD Scrafty give you a small issue, especially if Vaporeon is down, as the former has great coverage against your team, and the former can muscle its way through Vaporeon if Scrafty is not burned. Thus, I think a simple Choice Scarf Mamoswine is a good option over Expert Belt. Not only can you outspeed the above threats and give them a big attack (Scizor can then pick up the remains with Bullet Punch), but also you get that extra Speed revenge killing; For example, a full Multiscale Dragonite can be downed with Icicle Spear, etc. You can also take advantage of the locking factor: say you try to revenge Dnite, but they switch to Scizor. Well, you have a Heatran to push the momentum in your favor against Steel-types that would switch in to Choice-locked Mamoswine. Other than that, good luck!

Thanks for the input! I'm not really TOO worried about Gorebyss, never see one in OU (though it's a powerhouse in NU)... But Scrafty is kind of a problematic poke to deal with. Fortunately it isn't too common either, and Breloom can outspeed, spore, and focus punch neutral/BU variants. My best bet is probably Vaporeon or Scizor if it gets a boost, the former is super bulky and can phaze or burn, and the latter can take a neutral move and smack him with superpower or SD and kill with a BP (probably has to be weakened to KO even at +2 though...)

I'll consider changing Mamo, but I really do enjoy changing moves. Maybe I'll change to Ice Plate or LO, but being able to surprise and take out thinks with awesome coverage is really important to how it works for me.

Hey, nice team with good synergy.
imo if you are using a latias without calm mind as an offensive poke, your as well using latios to give your team more raw power. It still functions well and has decent bulk. Also, i suggest a more offensive variant of heatran so your not lying down to the popular rapid spinners.

Heatran:
life orb/air balloon,

timid/modest,

fireblast
earth power
hidden power ice/grass
stealth rock

evs:252sp.attack, 252 speed

earth power 2kos most tentacruel variants while they cant ko with scald. Fire blast im sure might ko hitmontop etc... getting rid of these spinners will help with keeping stealth rock up obviously so might be worth a try. Cloyster is koed no probs with fire blast too.

Good Luck! :)

Hey

Solid team, I've got some suggestions for you. In fifth gen, sub punch Breloom has lost it's potential compared to DPPt, which makes this set outdated. With so many new attackers introduced, this mushroom pokemon finds very less opportunities to set up efficiently. A good player knows how to deal with Breloom which makes this set less effective and since it lacks bulk, Breloom even becomes a set fodder for many mons like Gliscor, Dragonite, Gengar. I would highly recommend replacing it with a Bulk Up variant. This set would be an excellent addition to your FWG core as it can effectively use a Bulk Up set that hinders common physical walls such as Gliscor, Quagsire, and most stall teams. Breloom is one the most suited users of Bulk Up which boosts Breloom's already massive attack and its mediocre defense to high levels, which enables Breloom to survive hits from monsters like Choice Band Terrakion's Close Combat, Metagross's Meteor Mash and also prevents them from revenge killing after the boost. Spore is quite useful, especially with the mechanics in BW. Seed Bomb is it's most powerful attack decimating many bulky mons such as Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Conkeldurr, Landorus, Jellicent. Drain Punch goes along perfectly with Poison Heal and Bulk Up making Breloom even harder to take down, yet destroying the likes of Tyranitar, Terrakion, Ferrothorn. This set also gives you insurance against annoying Volt-Turn cores which the previous set failed to counter properly.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb | Poison Heal
Careful | 236 HP / 212 SpD / 60 Spe
~ Bulk Up
~ Spore
~ Seed Bomb
~ Drain Punch

For some minor changes, I would suggest replacing Superpower for Bug Bite. Losing fighting-type move won't be critical since Breloom and Heatran are backing up Scizor to take on bulky steel-type mons. Skarmory is the only mon who gives Scizor hard time and Heatran can easily eliminate it with predictions. Bug Bite is your secondary stab move boosted by Technician against Psychic-type mons like Latias, Bronzong, Slowbro, Celebi who could be problematic. Bug Bite also allows Scizor to take on trick room and calm mind variants of Reuniclus who could easily OHKO or 2HKO majority of this team. Overall brilliant team, Good Luck!

Scizor @ Leftovers | Technician
Adamant | 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
~ Swords Dance
~ Roost
~ Bullet Punch
~ Bug Bite

@Rater- try out the Latias set. I was also surprised by it, thinking the same thing you did, but that extra natural bulk is so important in being a tank and taking hits nothing else on my team wants to, and the extra power is less necessary than you'd think. It functions fantastically early and midgame, so I prefer not using a moveslot for CM when I don't need it to do its job. Thanks in any case- and I will change my Heatran set... thinking 52hp/max+spatk/204 speed, as 252 doesn't do much, and I'm gonna stay w/ lefties as of now.

@Mosteanted Thanks for the input, I'll try all of that out! I AM skeptical about bug bite, just for missing out on magnezone and heatran, being unable to switch out of zone and not wanting to go into breloom or my own tran on opposing ones (fearing the fire move and earth power respectively), but I'll test to see how much of a difference it makes.

Hey there.

A major weakness I see to this team is stall teams. Your team really struggles to break through them, especially since they can just Toxic Vaporeon and wear the rest of your team down extremely easily with entry hazards. Sub DD Gyarados also spells the end for this team, as it can easily set up on the likes of Vaporeon and sweep you. Vaporeon isn't really doing much for your team; Water-types can be taken on by both Latias and Breloom, and Grass-types can be taken on by those two and Heatran. Wish support is the only thing Vaporeon has going for it, and that loss becomes mitigated if you simply get rid of entry hazards. Therefore, I suggest that you replace Vaporeon with a Forretress. Forretress can provide your team with Rapid Spin support, as well as entry hazard support, helping you greatly against every team, especially stall teams. Forretress can also use Volt Switch to break Gyarados's Substitutes while still staying alive, meaning that Breloom will have a much easier time against it.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold nature
-Spikes
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Volt Switch

Also, switch your Heatran's EV spread to 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spe. The 160 Speed EVs you currently have are pretty worthless on a wall; this EV Spread will give Heatran the most special bulk possible while still setting it win the Speed tie against opposing wall Heatrans and phaze them out before they can phaze you. Also, use Toxic over Earth Power. Since you don't have Vaporeon anymore, defeating Volcarona becomes much more important. Toxic allows Heatran to destroy Volcarona easily, and also lets it wear down walls that would otherwise wall Heatran to hell and back, such as Gastrodon. Earth Power isn't very useful on a wall heatran anyway, as its main goal is to take hits and wear down the opposition. Half your team can take down wall Heatran, the most common variant, anyway.

Solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

@shakeitup- I really like having vaporeon as a general pivot/wish passer/wall. I really need it to stop infernape and his fire typed buddies from wrecking my team, so another fire type weakness in addition to scizor would be tricky to use. Also, many stall teams carry rain so I get hydration, and those that don't are easy for me to switch vaporeon into a twave or willowisp, meaning they can't really cripple me too bad. Stall teams usually struggle against my 2 set up sweepers, so I can sort of break through them (see below for the 2)

Alright, so I've made a few changes to the team. My heatran is now running sr/fire blast/hp grass/earth power with a spread of 52 hp/252 spatk/204 spe modest, a cool spread that gives it a bit of extra bulk and in terms of speed, only misses out on other offensive heatrans. I changed my breloom set to the bulk up set mentioned earlier, except with 4 evs from spdef to spe to beat other bu brelooms, after losing to another one, and it's fantastic. Bug bite on scizor is equally good, giving me a new check to a number of threats. These changes have been really helpful, my team is a lot stronger now against the metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)