Ditto

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just wondering, but can there be a certain Smogon clause or something to allow Ditto in all tiers?

Ditto is only as good as the tier it's in.
This can't happen due to how tiers are ran. You can't have something based on usage but then have a pokemon allowed in every tier -- it just doesn't make sense. Once Ditto is released in DW and if it gets enough usage to be OU, that's it. End of the line.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IF YOU WANT DITTO TO BE RELEASED IN DW COPY MY SIG AND LIKE THIS PAGE! DITTO WILL WIN THE POPULARITY POLL!!!

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
This can't happen due to how tiers are ran. You can't have something based on usage but then have a pokemon allowed in every tier -- it just doesn't make sense. Once Ditto is released in DW and if it gets enough usage to be OU, that's it. End of the line.
That's why we'd have the clause. Do you really think that it's that simple? The notion kinda makes sense.

The basic reasoning behind tiers is this, lets say UU, UU players are tired of those dam OU pokemon they see all the fucking time, so they made a metagame without them. It has little to do with what should go where really and power. Its silly, but thats how it works.

So what you're saying is that nobody can ever use RU Pokémon just because they're allowed in every tier?

@ TM13
I know.

You're misinterpreting him. What Gen. Empoleon means is that the Pokemon that are most commonly used are the best Pokemon to use in the metagame. RU Pokemon simply don't see much usage in OU because they are outclassed, but nobody is stopping you from using Shedinja or Quagsire in OU. :/

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I really need to note something for DW players. This is the Ditto Set everyone should be running:

Ditto @ (Whatever Item You Choose)
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Transform

Note the Sp.Def EVs. Now take a look at this:
Nature: Timid - EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd (4.9 %)
Nature: Hardy - EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd (4.4 %)
Nature: Hardy - EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd (4.4 %)
Nature: Hardy - EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd (4.0 %)
Nature: Hardy - EVs: 252 HP (3.9 %)
Nature: Timid - EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd (3.6 %)
Nature: Jolly - EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd (3.4 %)
Nature: Jolly - EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd (3.2 %)
Nature: Hardy - EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd (2.4 %)
Nature: Hardy - EVs: 0 (1.8 %)

Not a single Sp.Def set in the bunch. Why is that? Ignorance.

There's one Pokemon that blocks Ditto's ability entirely. Zoroark. I can't tell you how many times I've had a Ditto switch into my Zoroark & get BLASTED for it because they didn't use the remaining 259 EVs on the only stat besides HP that matters. There's only one Pokemon that stops Ditto's ability without already having a Sub up before the switch and only one Stat transfers over when Transformed. Why is it so hard to realize that? :/

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
according to this damage calc: (58.55% - 69.08%) i beg to differ,

ditto is 2hkoed by dark pulse, now imagine that after a nasty plot, yeah ditto's dead.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Which would you prefer then? A Ditto that has to switch out & come back in with 31% of it's HP or a Ditto that comes in with 8%? (Not even counting Stealth Rock)

While we're at it, what would be a better use for Ditto's leftover EVs then? Or any other use, really.

Yeah, when you automatically transform into your opponent, and copy all stats, the idea of running speed on ditto (and 252 timid, no less) is kind of lol. The only stat that actually matters for ditto is HP, as that will be the only stat it ever carries over. All the rest of your EV investment is kind of moot, except for the Zoroark thing, like Katakiri said. For that reason, Special Defense investment is your best bet, even if it's a pretty rare situation. Point is though, like I said, ditto's other stats literally don't matter, so you might as well cover your bases with Zoroark.

As for Ditto's item, I prefer Scarf for the simple reason that I don't want to try to beat my opponent's set, when they could have the HP advantage. You could end up in a situation where, for example, you're using your lesser-ditto-Tyranitar to beat your opponents full-strength TTar - which has more HP, and more PP if it gets stally for whatever reason. Not that Scarf would actually be better in this exact situation of course, but it seems to have more utility overall.

Scarf seems to be the entire point of using Ditto. I use it to shit all over setup sweepers and Moxie boosters who think they're funny. Without being guaranteed to outspeed the likes of Moxie Gyarados and Serperior, Ditto is worthless.

Which would you prefer then? A Ditto that has to switch out & come back in with 31% of it's HP or a Ditto that comes in with 8%? (Not even counting Stealth Rock)

While we're at it, what would be a better use for Ditto's leftover EVs then? Or any other use, really.
You are spot on in your Ditto analysis. I don't understand how no one else seemed to see that.

While reading this thread I came across a guy that stated that if ditto switches into a u-turn or volt switch, would not transform at all. Can anyone verify this?

Molk

Godlike Usmash

actually not switching in ditto, if i see dark pulse, i know its zoroark, so, why switch in ditto when you can use a mach puncher like breloom to revenge it instead.

Bit late to the party, but does Imposter activate prior to or after hazard damage?

Also, I would like to stress the awesomeness of expert belt Ditto. Speed ties are nasty end-game, but not being choice locked is awesomesauce when they almost invariably switch to whatever counter they have. And with the belt you can bluff a scarf forever.

The "DW Ditto in all tiers" thing is not going to happen. As long as we tier by usage we are not going to make exceptions just because some players want so-and-so mon in UU. If it has enough usage to be OU, it is OU. End of discussion.

When it's released though, of course, it'll be in all tiers until the tiers are updated or until it's banned from one of them.

Thing about Ditto though is that by its definition it's only going to be as good as the tier that it's in, and I honestly don't believe it will be broken in any tier.

Imposter will not be impossible to beat. 5 pp in each move only. Loses in stall matches due to hp. Scarf variants gets destroyed by Trick Room AS WELL AS Tailwind since it only copies stat boosters only, not Tailwind (like how Haze does NOT remove Tailwind). Though we cannot try this out legitimately without the release of it. If only we'd agree on voting Ditto to befriend in voting event. Also a good chance to have something Japanese players probably won't have until after VGC 2012 at the earliest (since many legendaries desired like lugia and Ho-oh are banned, they won't help)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)