Don't Mess with the Core!- A Different Kind Of OU team (Peaked #83 On Smogon OU)

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Hi Smogon, This is my second RMT posted here. This team has brought me to the Rank 83 on The Wifi OU Ladder. I wanted to base this team on the Classic Mixed Infernape and with a Water-Fire-Grass Core, So here goes....

Infernape has always been one of my favorite pokemon, and Its Mixed Set is one of the best Mixed Sets any Pokemon could have. Infernape is an amazing pokemon for this team as it can take on Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Landorus, Jirachi, Celebi, Gliscor, and other top Threats. While Infernape was a Powerhouse, it was still frail and I needed something to help take its weaknesses...

I decided on Rotom-W, another of my favorite Pokemon. Rotom has great speed, Special Attack and decent bulk and can take three of Infernape's weaknesses well, being his resists to Ground, Water, and Flying. I equipped a Choice Scarf on Rotom, to revenge kill faster threats. It worked rather well with Infernape as they could take each others weaknesses, Infernape being able to take Grass Attacks aimed at Rotom, and Rotom being able to take the aforementioned weaknesses. I had two parts of the core done, and all I needed left was the Grass part...

I settled on Virizion, as it has great speed and decent attacking power. I wanted to use a Calm Mind set, But I already had two special attackers, so I went physical and Used a Swords Dance set. Virizion's Great Special Bulk and Decent Physical Defense usually let him Set up at least once. The Team was going great, but the one thing that was a threat to it was Dragons such as Dragonite and Latios who could outspeed and tear through the team. I needed something specifically to counter dragons and with massive attack to work with my other three....

Mamoswine is a beast! This thing has the most powerful Earthquake in OU and amazing Base 130 Attack coupled with Basic Base 80 Speed. I used Mamoswine for Its Priority Ice Shard to take on Dragons, coupled with Its beastly attack to leave large dents in anything.

Ahh, Scizor, the number one OU. I settled on Choice Banded Scizor to take on Fast Threats and tear things to shreds with its Priority Bullet Punch and Powerful U-turn. It and Rotom-W work wonders together as they Resist Each others weaknesses and can Volt-Turn out of a situation while sustaining offensive momentum. The Team was looking good so far and I needed only one more member. After going through many Pokes such as Gengar, Deoxys-D and Mew, I settled on....

Dragonite, One of the best Pokemon in the OU metagame and probably the easiest Poke to set up with. Dragonite, due to its Good Bulk, can always Set up and tear wholes through teams. After one DD, this thing is a monster.

Now the team was doing well, But Virizion started to feel like dead weight. It was hard for it to set up and It just wasn't working out well. I decided to Swap Virizion out for Breloom due to what some of you said in the comments. Breloom worked a lot better than Virizion, being able to put threats to Sleep and Hit anything with a Focus Punch.

Another Problem that was affecting my team were Hazards. Deoxys-D and the likes could easily get up Stealth Rocks, Breaking Dragonite's Multiscale and along with Spikes, Limiting the Life of my team. I needed a Spinner- but like the other members of the team, I wanted it to have Power, So I decided to pick Starmie, due to the fact that it has a decent Special Attacking stat and Great Speed.

Well, That's the Team Building, so Let's get into the team in-depth

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Ahh Virizion, you were good, but not good enough for this team. Virizion was my check to Rain teams and worked great with Infernape and Rotom-W, but in the end, I guess it was the one to go.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Dragonite was a great poke to use during the Team-building Process. It had that bulk through Multiscale and could set up. The Problem was though, was that every team had Stealth Rocks, and His Multiscale was destroyed on Switch in. There with his Subpar Speed, He would easily get killed from 75% and not do much.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SAtk / 192 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Usually my Lead, unless it's a Rain team. Infernape OHKOs a Lot of Leads, and Can Take Gliscor and Salamence By Surprise with it's Hidden Power Ice. The Naive Nature with 192 Speed Evs let it Outspeed Positive Speed Natured Base 100s and the rest are in Spec Attack and Attack to Kill things. CC and Fire Blast for STAB, as well as CC to Kill Blissey. Grass Knot for Coverage, and If I need to shave the last 40% off a Water Type such as Politoed and Gastrodon. HP Ice for Dragons and Gliscor.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-W is a great addition to the team for its formidable speed with the Choice Scarf and Power. Volt Switch is or STAB and To get out of a Tough spot. Thunderbolt might seem redundant on a set with Volt Switch, But It has paid off in the long run, as I can do more To Politoed and Jellicent, that Volt Switch Wouldn't do. I have considered running Trick, But Stall doesn't damage me that much.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Standard Sub-Punch Breloom. This thing really shines and turned out to be a lot better than Virizion. Spore for Just putting something to sleep, And Focus Punch for Raw Power. Seed Bomb for other STAB, and Substitute to ensure a free Focus Punch

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Cloak
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor

Mamoswine is Here for the Dragons and Gliscor. This use to have a Focus Sash, but with everything setting up Stealth Rocks/Spikes, I saw no use for it. Earthquake and Ice Shard are there for STAB and Priority. Stealth Rock is Standard, and also aid my team in achieving the needed Kills, and also breaking annoying Dragonite's Multiscale. Endeavor is for Bringing a Pokemon down to HP after my Sash has been used up. I can't even remember how many times A Scizor Has switched in, Bullet Punched me, and then taken a Endeavor/Ice Shard Combo and been taken out.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SpD
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Basic Choice Banded Scizor with Special Bulk to take hits. I can see why Scizor is the Most Used pokemon because of this set. U-turn for Powerful STAB and Bullet Punch to Kill those Faster Threats such as Latios and Latias. Pursuit to catch a quick poke switching out. I have found that especially good, because I have seen lots of Specs Jolteons that lock themselves into Hidden Power, and I can Come into Scizor and Bring them down to 90% with a Banded Pursuit if they try to switch out. Superpower is there for Blissey and Steels that resist the other moves.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Grass]

The Newest addition to the team- Starmie. At first I was hesitant about trading Dragonite for this guy, but it has really paid off. Starmie has enough bulk to take a hit and Rapid Spin Rocks away, and Can Hit pretty Hard with a Life Orb Hydro Pump. Ice Beam is for Coverage to Hit Grass types and Dragons. Hidden Power Grass is used over Thunderbolt For Gastrodon who can cause this team trouble if Breloom dies.

Well, That's the Team! I hope you liked it and please leave a comment. Sorry If I sounded repetitive toward the end, but the RMT got deleted Twice on accident. So I felt a little tired. Well I guess that's it for my team- Suggestions Greatly Appreciated.

Here's The Importable~
Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SAtk / 192 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SpD
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Try a Lum Berry on Dragonite. It helps him set up against walls that attempt to status him, such as Rotom-W using Will-O-Wisp or Blissey using Thunder Wave. If you've managed to avoid prior status, Lum can also cure Outrage's confusion.

You're lacking Stealth Rock, a necessary component of every team. Try changing Mamoswine's set to SR | Earthquake | Ice Shard | Endeavour @ Focus Sash. Not only does this give you SR support, it also lets you bring troublesome walls down to 1 HP so one of your other Pokemon can pick them off - this is especially useful since Mamoswine has similar counters to Scizor and Dragonite, allowing them to clean up.

Use an EV spread of 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SpD on Scizor. You don't lose that much power, since you're still holding a Choice Band, but you gain the benefit of being able to take two Draco Meteors from Specs Latios; this is important because Scizor is your only steel and the rest of your team gets massacred by Draco Meteor. With this spread, you can trap it and eliminate a huge threat to your team, not to mention pave the way for an Infernape sweep.

once scizor is down, ur team could be swept by cm laias as none of ur team resist psychic or dragon type moves. i suggest ferrothorn over virizion as it helps with many weaknesses your team suffers from.

No entry hazard, no phazers, no spiner, no status nor screen to help your set uppers, I think you will have troubles.
I'll try to find solutions without changing too many things.
First of all, SR on Mamoswine, instead of Stone Edge or Icicle Crash. Then maybe a more defensive Rotom, with Wow or Pain Split. Maybe a Breloom instead of Virizion, to spread spore and resist status. The bulk-up set could fit well.
You could also think of a Physical wall. Foretress or Ferothorn could fit, but I think a Donphan could be interesting, as he can spin, phaze (roar) easily thanks to sturdy, and use SR if you need it. Skarmory is also interesting (phazing, two hazards, sturdy) but doesn't learn rapid spin.

I second breloom over virizon on this team. and you should definitely have some hazards since this team could force a lot of switches. I don't think a spinner is as needed but donphan can hazard and spin so why not?

blunder

is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Try a Lum Berry on Dragonite. It helps him set up against walls that attempt to status him, such as Rotom-W using Will-O-Wisp or Blissey using Thunder Wave. If you've managed to avoid prior status, Lum can also cure Outrage's confusion.

You're lacking Stealth Rock, a necessary component of every team. Try changing Mamoswine's set to SR | Earthquake | Ice Shard | Endeavour @ Focus Sash. Not only does this give you SR support, it also lets you bring troublesome walls down to 1 HP so one of your other Pokemon can pick them off - this is especially useful since Mamoswine has similar counters to Scizor and Dragonite, allowing them to clean up.

Use an EV spread of 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SpD on Scizor. You don't lose that much power, since you're still holding a Choice Band, but you gain the benefit of being able to take two Draco Meteors from Specs Latios; this is important because Scizor is your only steel and the rest of your team gets massacred by Draco Meteor. With this spread, you can trap it and eliminate a huge threat to your team, not to mention pave the way for an Infernape sweep.
Thank you so much for the feedback- The Mamoswine set and The Scizor set proved to be much better than the ones I started with

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
No entry hazard, no phazers, no spiner, no status nor screen to help your set uppers, I think you will have troubles.
I'll try to find solutions without changing too many things.
First of all, SR on Mamoswine, instead of Stone Edge or Icicle Crash. Then maybe a more defensive Rotom, with Wow or Pain Split. Maybe a Breloom instead of Virizion, to spread spore and resist status. The bulk-up set could fit well.
You could also think of a Physical wall. Foretress or Ferothorn could fit, but I think a Donphan could be interesting, as he can spin, phaze (roar) easily thanks to sturdy, and use SR if you need it. Skarmory is also interesting (phazing, two hazards, sturdy) but doesn't learn rapid spin.
Thanks a lot! I will try the Breloom Idea

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
Ok, Stealth Rocks and Spikes are tearing me apar- Any thoughts on a good spinner?

Icicle Spear>> Icicle Crash. Breaks subs against baton pass teams and multiscale. It comes more in handy than you think.

Donphan could replace Mamoswine with SR, Earthquake, Ice Shard, Rapid Spin. Less pure power, but a better defensive typing, you keep the main attacks and add rapid spin.

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
Decided On Starmie, Thanks for the suggestions Everyone! More are appreciated

Hmm I realize that you probably appreciate the strength of Starmie with Life Orb, but may I recommend using a more defensive Starmie with Leftovers and possibly Recover>Ice Beam seeing how you can handle most like dragons and such with the rest of your team, Hp Ice on Infernape and Rotom-W etc. Starmie definitely doesn't want to keep into like Spikes when it doesn't have recovery. Also you may want to think about using Trick on Rotom-W because you seem like you could have trouble with Stall seeing that you have like no recover on any of your pokes except Breloom...

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
Very balanced team you got but I do see some trouble with CB Terrakion. Breloom is not bulky enough to take a CB Stone Edge as it will cleanly 2HKO it, it will OHKO Starmie on a predicted switch-in, and Scizor is your only way to check him since your Infernape does not have full Speed EVs.

My first suggestion is to run an EV spread of 4 Atk / 252 Sp.atk/ 252 Speed on Infernape. The 64 EVs on Attack are useless since CC still achieves to OHKO Blissey with min investment after SR (88.2% - 104.2%). Also, even with 64 Atk EVs, you still wont KO Eviolite Chansey (69.9% - 82.1%). Max Speed is a must on Infernape as it will allow you to speed-tie Terrakion & Virizion were it is crucial in these situations to KO first.

My second suggestion is to change Starmie´s moveset to: Recover / Rapid Spin / [Hydro Pump] or [Surf] / Thunderbolt. If the opponent manages to block Rapid Spin succesfully, Starmie will have to wait for another chance to Rapid Spin forcing your members in the meanwhile to take hazard damage, and Starmie´s life-span is reduced due to hazards and LO recoil. This set is more durable with Recover and you dont really need Ice Beam on Starmie since you got HP Ice on Ape, and Mamoswine; HP Grass is not needed since you got Breloom.

You should definitely consider using Bulk Up Breloom instead of the standard set. Although the standard packs inmeadiate power, it cant really take hits and with a well-predicted Ice Beam from pokemons like Gastrodon, Politoad, Tentacruel and other bulky Water-types, Breloom will not be able to switch-in next time.

Here is the set:
EVs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

With the EVs, you got more chances to switch in and eliminate bulky Water-types. Even Specs Hydro Pump from Politoad fails to OHKO, whereas it will murder an Standard set. Bulk Up is the crux of this set allowing you to defeat Turn/Switch cores since Rotom-W attacks are not doing a lot of damage, Scizor fails to 2HKO after a Bulk Up, and it can take Terrakion´s hits better. Drain Punch gives Breloom insane recovery with Poison Heal and extends his life-span on the field.

Try changing Mamoswine's set to SR | Earthquake | Ice Shard | Endeavour @ Focus Sash. Not only does this give you SR support, it also lets you bring troublesome walls down to 1 HP so one of your other Pokemon can pick them off
My last suggestion is to back-up what BKC said on using that Mamoswine set. Sometimes in situations where the oponent was not able to set hazards yet, the Focus Sash can be a life-saver.

Good luck with your team. Really nice job making it!

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
My first suggestion is to run an EV spread of 4 Atk / 252 Sp.atk/ 252 Speed on Infernape. The 64 EVs on Attack are useless since CC still achieves to OHKO Blissey with min investment after SR (88.2% - 104.2%). Also, even with 64 Atk EVs, you still wont KO Eviolite Chansey (69.9% - 82.1%). Max Speed is a must on Infernape as it will allow you to speed-tie Terrakion & Virizion were it is crucial in these situations to KO first.

My second suggestion is to change Starmie´s moveset to: Recover / Rapid Spin / [Hydro Pump] or [Surf] / Thunderbolt. If the opponent manages to block Rapid Spin succesfully, Starmie will have to wait for another chance to Rapid Spin forcing your members in the meanwhile to take hazard damage, and Starmie´s life-span is reduced due to hazards and LO recoil. This set is more durable with Recover and you dont really need Ice Beam on Starmie since you got HP Ice on Ape, and Mamoswine; HP Grass is not needed since you got Breloom.

You should definitely consider using Bulk Up Breloom instead of the standard set. Although the standard packs inmeadiate power, it cant really take hits and with a well-predicted Ice Beam from pokemons like Gastrodon, Politoad, Tentacruel and other bulky Water-types, Breloom will not be able to switch-in next time.

Here is the set:
EVs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

With the EVs, you got more chances to switch in and eliminate bulky Water-types. Even Specs Hydro Pump from Politoad fails to OHKO, whereas it will murder an Standard set. Bulk Up is the crux of this set allowing you to defeat Turn/Switch cores since Rotom-W attacks are not doing a lot of damage, Scizor fails to 2HKO after a Bulk Up, and it can take Terrakion´s hits better. Drain Punch gives Breloom insane recovery with Poison Heal and extends his life-span on the field.

My last suggestion is to back-up what BKC said on using that Mamoswine set. Sometimes in situations where the oponent was not able to set hazards yet, the Focus Sash can be a life-saver.

Good luck with your team. Really nice job making it!
Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I am going to try them out right now. I am using The new Set that BKC gave me and I am loving it. Thanks a lot for the Team Rate and the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)