Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Mega Glalie

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Mega Glalie

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Introduction

Capture.PNG
I was RU G.O.A.T. back in ORAS, and I've returned to the tier in SM since OU is kinda boring at the moment. I built this a few weeks ago on a pretty basic framework so it should be pretty easy and effective to use for all kinds of players. Plus RU Open for Grand Slam is coming up so I feel like playing RU again. I dedicate this team to aim for the inspiration behind 2 of the biggest threats in the tier.

Teambuilding Process

Mega Glalie is, in my opinion, the best mon in RU right now, and one of my favorites since ORAS.

Next up, your basic offensive Fire-Water-Grass core, covering cleaner, sweeper and spikes support.

Florges and Donphan are added to cover the necessary roles of a cleric and hazard control.

The Team

joey (Glalie-Mega) @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Return
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Look at the RU tier list, then look at Mega Glalie. Boosted Ice STAB 2HKOs everything in the tier that's not Steel. Glalie has to be used very aggressively to work its magic, requiring double switches and predictions. Return is used over Double-Edge because HP conservation is nice when you're predicting a switch, possibly into Stealth Rock. Ice Shard for a strong priority, being able to pick weakened mons off, as well as the many threats like Virizion, Tyrantrum and Aerodactyl from a high amount of HP. Freeze-Dry hits the common Water-types switchins to this for a moderate amount of damage. HP Fire is the tech, able to nail Escavalier and Durant on the switch, while hitting other Steels for decent chip if you're not comfortable with predicting. EVs are self-explanatory. Hasty or Naive can be used, but I prefer Hasty on mine since if Glalie's force to take a hit, it's most likely special.

joey 2.0 (Sharpedo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
With the wallbreaking power out of the way, I chose Sharpedo as a dedicated cleaner. It's STAB combination is pretty much unresisted outside of Mantine, especially on a special set instead of physical. Protect is obvious, while Ice Beam hits Grass-types like Shaymin and offensive Dragons like Kommo-o. Ice Beam is also a good alternative to Hydro Pump since it has perfect accuracy. Timid nature is used over Modest because I don't want to be in a situation where at +1 I'm still slower than a scarfer, a common mistake I've seen a the ladder many times. The damage output isn't that noteworthy, but it's used as cleaner anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

blunder (Salazzle) @ Firium Z
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
I've been wanting to try out Salazzle since SM just came out, but it always falls short compared to other Poisons and Fires. But it does have an advantage over others by having base 117 Speed, giving it a leg up over base 115s. Sludge Wave and Fire Blast is a decent STAB combination, only resisted by Rock-types. Nasty Plot boosts its power to insane levels, enabling it muscle past more defensive builds. Taunt prevents rocks from going up if needed and keep passive support mons like Umbreon at bay. Firium Z is just a powerful nuke that can nab an OHKO if needed. Poisonium Z could be used as well, but you get more power out of Z-Fire Blast, plus it can't miss.

jam (Chesnaught) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch
Now we move on to the defensive side of the team. Chesnaught, being the best switchin to threats such as Araquanid and Doublade, is very needed on most teams. Spikes support helps soften targets for Glalie and Sharpedo, Leech Seed for recovery and annoyance, Spiky Shield chips the opponents while giving me Leech Seed recovery and Seed Bomb for an offensive option. Drain Punch can be used over Seed Bomb. I just don't like being destroyed completely by Hoopa.

emvee (Donphan) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Needed a Ground-type, a spinner/defogger, and reliable rocks. Donphan fills those roles effectively while giving me Knock Off ultility. EVs balance between tanking hits and dealing decent damage back. Not much to explain here.

ctc (Florges) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
Florges acts as the cleric on this team and covers the Fairy-type slot. Wish Protect and Aromatherapy supports itself and the team, with Moonblast being a strong offensive option coming off a naturally high Special Attack. Calm nature and EVs complement its role, giving it high bulk on both sides of the spectrum.

Conclusion

Feel free to critique and use the team. I've only started playing RU for the past week so not much testing has been done, but I do know the metagame well from using Araquanid Stall. The team is pretty balanced, having offensive breakers with reliable backbones, so it can be played both aggressively and defensively. More replays will be added as I play more with the team.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-603350072

joey (Glalie-Mega) @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Return
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]

joey 2.0 (Sharpedo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

blunder (Salazzle) @ Firium Z
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

jam (Chesnaught) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch

emvee (Donphan) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

ctc (Florges) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Last edited:
Reactions: aim
solid team man one thing ill suggest is that you put hp grass or taunt over encore on salazzle and poisionium z over firium to better break threw bulky water and allows you to beat diancie and rhyperior if you decide to run hp grass. also on donphan if you want it to be offensive with some bulk just run max atk and hp the extra def evs arent really needed. i also think heracross fits this team more over glalie-mega as its a better wallbreaker than glalie and gets rid of special walls better for sharpedo. https://pastebin.com/23tHaEYj here are the changes i suggested. Good luck on future team n_n.

solid team man one thing ill suggest is that you put hp grass or taunt over encore on salazzle and poisionium z over firium to better break threw bulky water and allows you to beat diancie and rhyperior if you decide to run hp grass. also on donphan if you want it to be offensive with some bulk just run max atk and hp the extra def evs arent really needed. i also think heracross fits this team more over glalie-mega as its a better wallbreaker than glalie and gets rid of special walls better for sharpedo. https://pastebin.com/23tHaEYj here are the changes i suggested. Good luck on future team n_n.
I like the simple teambuilding process you used here, it is very sensical and straight to the point.

First off, why do none of your mons have strong jaw ;)

Does the EV spread on Donphan specifically beat anything/survive any OHKOs/2HKOs? If not, you could probably improve that spread some.

On Salazzle, I would suggest Taunt over encore, its a lot better overall. It can keep rocks off the field better especially as both Salazzle and Glalie don't appreciate rocks. I know you have a spinner in Donphan but spin isn't the most reliable move for clearing hazards, but it would be sufficient with Taunt.
Very interesting going Firium over Poisinium - Poisinium is far more common but its interesting and could be a nice lure for ground/steel types.

I would suggest Leftovers over Rocky Helmet on Chesnaught because it helps it survive easier, especially if the opponent switch out. The chip from Helmet isn't always doing much, while lefties can keep you alive in many situations. With just helmet, the opponent has no drawback of switching out of leech seed and you lose any passive recovery (allowing opponents to hit you while you set keep setting seed).

Really cool spike stack team, good luck in the open!
The EVs on Donphan are just there for general purposes, that being I may need it to take one hit depending on the situation. Otherwise the basic spread of max HP max Atk is obviously better.
I chose Firium Z on Salazzle just because Fire Blast can miss. Yep. That's it. I know I will miss Blast like 5 times in a row. Arguably, Poisonium Z is the superior choice overall, but hax will screw me over more often than not. HP Grass and Taunt are great suggestions. I'll probably have Taunt over HP Grass since the team already covers everything hit by HP Grass anyway.
Lefties and Helmet are both viable items on Chesnaught. It really depends on the playstyle and state of the meta. In my own opinion, Helmet is more appealing since the tier is riddled with physical sweepers and physical pivots. I have a really offensive playstyle so Chesnaught is not lasting long either way.
And my final point, Mega Glalie over Guts Heracross because aesthetics lol. But seriously talking, I have more experience using Glalie while I've barely used Heracross this gen. I like the above-average speed tier of base 100 and priority options in Ice Shard.
P.S. I'm not entering the RU open since I can't play next month. It just gives me motivation to play RU again. :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)