ORAS Doubles OU Doubles Sun Team

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at a doubles team, and any feedback is appreciated.

Here's the team:

And here are their builds:

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 60 HP / 124 Def / 200 SpA / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Confuse Ray

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Charizard @ Charcoal
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Heal Bell
- Helping Hand
- Synthesis

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 56 Def / 200 SpA / 52 SpD / 200 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

Scolipede @ Occa Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 108 HP / 200 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Steamroller

Roles:

Ninetales is, obviously, meant to set up the sun. The given EV's help to give it a bit more bulk in case I need to bring out the sunlight multiple times. I gave it some offensive capability in case it needs to fight, and Will-O-Wisp and Confuse Ray to hamper the enemies.

Infernape's job is to take care of fire-resistant Pokemon, like Heatran and Gyarados, and weather Pokemon like Politoed and Tyranitar. The EV's are not very creative, but they get the job done, since Infernape usually ends up severely denting or OHKO'ing problem Pokemon.

Charizard is the team's main powerhouse. With the sun out, it can OHKO nearly everything that does not resist it with Heat Wave. I made it hold Charcoal instead of a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs so it can use Solar Beam on Water and Rock types without having to be locked in. However, it is quite frail, and is usually only effective when anything that resists Fire has been removed.

Leafeon is usually Charizard's sweeping partner. Its Chlorophyll allows to outspeed nearly anything when the sun is out. With Helping hand, it can boost Charizard's Heat Wave, and can use its STAB Leaf Blade to hit special walls hard and weaken Water/Rock types enough for Heat Wave to finish them. Heal Bell is for getting rid of nasty statuses on Charizard like Paralysis or Toxic, and keeping the rest of the team healthy. In sunlight, Synthesis restores enough HP to ensure that Leafeon is not easily taken out.

Venusaur is the team's tank. Its bulk lets it replace a teammate to tank a lot of strong hits. Its STAB Giga Drain helps take out Water, Rock, and Ground types while also restoring a bit of Venusaur's HP. Sleep Powder is useful, and often allows teammates to switch in without taking damage while their foes are asleep.

Scolipede is probably the weakest member of the team on its own, but it serves a good enough purpose. Its role is to build up some Speed Boosts, and hopefully a Substitute, before Baton Passing to Charizard. Since Charizard's speed is a bit low, one or two Speed Boosts is enough for it to safely outspeed anything without priority moves, and setting up is usually safer than giving Charizard a Choice Scarf. The Substitute can help Charizard to switch in without taking a lot of damage, and Scolipede can use Steamroller to do some reliable STAB damage if it is forced to stand and fight.

This team wins a lot of battles, but still loses a few. Fire types are hard to deal with, since I don't have anything that hits them supereffectively, and they can easily turn the sun against me if Charizard and Ninetales are taken out. I sometimes have trouble with Dragon types, since I only have a handful of moves that hit them neutrally and none that are supereffective. Fast sweepers are also a threat, since I have no real way to deal with them.

Thank you for reading this, and I appreciate all that you have to say!

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Hey buddy, welcome to Doubles OU and Smogon! I love weather teams, and Sun is definitely the most powerful of them all. But before I rate, I just wanna say that according to the RMT rules, you need to have a least three lines of description for each Pokemon. I'll still rate it, but I'm just giving you a heads up that this thread might get locked by a moderator if you don't add a little more description. Anyways, on to the rate.

This is a cool start (even though sun is hot ^_^), but to be frank, there are quite a few problems with this team, and in order to fix them, it would require replacing a majority of your team. But don't be discouraged, you're on the right track.

I suggest you check out this thread, Doubles OU Teambuilding Frameworks. In the first post you should find one on sun. It'll walk you through how most successful sun teams are built, which you can draw some inspiration from. It will also explain which each Pokemon should do on that style of team. That should help your team a lot.

But if I'm going to say anything, its that Ninetails is an awful sun setter because it's extremely frail and completely outclassed by Mega Charizard Y. There is really never a reason to use it. Mega Charizard Y is far more powerful, and is amazing when paired with Chlorophyll Venusaur, not Mega.

If you have any questions, you're more than welcome to ask me here on Smogon, or stop by the Doubles OU room on Pokemon Showdown and ask our staff some questions, we're always willing to help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)