Other Draft League First Ever Team Build

Hey, this is my first time getting into competitive Pokemon and this is what I have drafted so far. My other picks for my team are Ampharos, Rotom-H, Ferrothorn, Weavile, and Scrafty. I'm not entirely sure on the best builds for each mon on their own but this is what I've got. Please give me all your advice as I'm sure there's plenty of nuances I don't understand yet :D

Lucario (Lucario-Mega) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Comet Punch
- Ice Punch

A fairly obvious choice here. Had the first pick in the draft so went for one of the best hyper offensive mons in the game. He can also be switched from physical to special attacker and run a Nasty Plot moveset if concerned about getting special walled. Ice Punch is coverage for dragon typing

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Leech Seed
- Air Slash
- Substitute

Has leech seed to become a nuisance to some checks for Shaymin. Also acts as a passive form of recovery as well. STAB Seed Flare is ridiculously strong. Substitute stalls while leech seed and leftovers heal 1/8 HP every round. Good all around base stats allows Shaymin to be a jack of all trades and able to do a lot of whatever I need for the team.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Protect

Gliscor has been one of my favorite PKMN since it was released in generation 4, so I picked him as something of a nostalgia pick and also as a good rocks setter. When I was doing my research I saw that entry hazards have become a huge part of the metagame, so Gliscor is a bulkier lead. STAB Earthquake grants Gliscor the ability to hit hard and not remain a passive utility/hazard mon. Roost gives even more sustainability to Gliscor while also removing the 4x ice weakness.

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psychic
- Recover

Latios is the second part of my offense, being a dragon type from the fairy-steel-dragon triangle that I'm running. Soul Dew gives some extra damage to both Draco and Psychic while not needing to lock into that particular move. Defog is the move I'm least sure about, as its not a great fit for an offensively focused mon. Recover gives Latios some decent sustainability and still able to take some hits.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Scald
- Protect

Vaporeon is meant to be a wall and also can set up big heals with Wish Pass (Pass isn't banned, only thing that isn't allowed to be passed is speed boosts, I believe this is GBA format). Scald is a great spammable STAB move and the chance to burn can make physical attackers like Decidueye wary of switching in. Protect is a good way to scout for choice users and can also survive boosted Z-Moves from the likes of Incineroar and allows a Scald in return.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Koko rounds out the Fairy-Dragon-Steel triangle and has great speed, allowing it to taunt entry hazard setters such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory and also setups and defoggers like Magearna. Hidden Power Ice 2HKOS the ground types I've seen drafted so far in Garchomp and Landorus-T. Wild Charge + Gigavolt Havoc is a good surprise attack with considerable after a couple of Volt Switches out to make the opponent think he isn't carrying a Z-Crystal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sificon

I'm not here for your entertainment
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Let me make some suggestions before this gets locked (you should explain the role of every mon in at least 3 lines per mon, otherwise this gets locked)
Latias: Scarf > Soul Dew
I think your team needs a scarfer and latias is the best option to fill that roll. I'd also change recover and defog to ice beam and healing wish.

Vaporen: Heal Bell > Baton Pass
I don't know what tier you play (Baton Pass is almost everywhere banned) but nontheless I think Heal Bell is better to support the team.

Gliscor: Defog > Protect
Since Latias doesnt carry defog anymore Gliscor has to fill the role as a defoger.

Tapu Koko: Thunderbolt > Wild Charge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
I don't see the point of using a mixed koko in this team so I changed it to being a complet special attacker

Hope this helps

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: unlocked!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)