XY OU Drag/Mag/Diancie Core

Success at last! http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-140955371

Hey guys, I thought I would make the first RMT based on Diancie, but it turns out that it's the worst legendary bar phione. It has a terrible base 50 HP stat, it's super slow, average attacking stats, and a horrid movepool, plus 0 recovery whatsoever. I initially tried to use Diancie with just 5 pokemon to cover its weaknesses, but I've discovered that it's still bad even with the right support. So anyway, here's my idea on how to make it as 'useful' (being a relative term) as possible.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Yeah, so Diancie. First of all, I chose to invest 252 EVs in HP so it can have some sort of bulk with its legendary(?) 150/150 defenses. 252 is put into special attack so it gets all the firepower necessary. Moonblast is its only viable STAB attack and its most powerful move. A fairy attack with a BP of 90 plus STAB is sure to dent holes in teams, right? Well, this thing is so weak that even +2 can't kill a lot of stuff in OU. Hidden Power Ground is used to beat Heatran, which would otherwise wall it. Although if the heatran carries air balloon + flash cannon, then Diancie is screwed. Psyshock is probably the fifth strongest attack in all of Diancie's movepool (behind explosion, diamond storm, moonblast, and psychic) but it's good because it can hit things kinda hard on the physical defenses. Watch out Chansey. And finally, Calm Mind is really the only viable boosting move of Diancie's. I didn't run Diamond Storm because it's Diancie's only good physical move besides gyro ball, so there would be no point.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone is next up in my team. I have to say, this thing is great in terms of overcoming Diancie's 4x steel weakness. It traps and takes care of scizor and ferrothorn beautifully, so Diancie won't have to worry about any bullet punches or leech seeds. Choice scarf is used to hit and run, flash cannon is the steel STAB used to maybe hit other diancies (haha), Volt Switch is used for momentum and a secondary STAB attack, Thunderbolt is the primary electric STAB, and HP Fire, as mentioned above, is used to kill steel types.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Latios completes my fairy/steel/dragon core and acts as my defogger. Life Orb is used to maximize damage output. Draco Meteor hits like a truck on most things, psyshock is used for hitting things (namely mega venusaur and conkeldurr) on the physical side, and hidden power fighting is used to get damage off on unsuspecting tyranitars and bisharps, although it still dies to a t-tar pursuit. 252 Special Attack and 252 Speed are made to ensure that it gets defogs off quickly and places offensive pressure to Diancie's threats.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Iron Defense
- Protect
- Substitute

Yeah, I know you guys hate me for using baton pass scolipede, but in my opinion it's the only way to make Diancie usable. It's specially defensive to take special hits relatively well, and protect + substitute to guarantee that it outspeeds everything. Iron Defense is the primary boosting move, and then Baton Pass is used to make sure Diancie is as bulky as possible defensively. Then, while Diancie is on the field and outspeeds most things, it can Calm Mind to patch up its Special Defense, turning it into a fast tank after a couple of speed boosts. I am using black sludge to regain some HP after the substitutes, but I may consider using mental herb just in case of thundurus.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Tyranitar is my hazard setter and weather inducer. I just made up the EVs randomly, so they're not that good, but w.e. Stone Edge and Crunch are the primary STABs, and Earthquake is used for coverage. Adamant nature gives my tyranitar a nice 350 attack so it can hit somewhat well while still being bulky. It's pretty good for countering the lati twins, which kill my unboosted diancie. Although I will have to watch out for HP fightings.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mega Venusaur is my glue. It takes most attacks very well, and has synthesis to recover. Ironically, I chose a more offensive set because my team is relatively weak (Diancie, as mentioned time and time again, is too weak, tyranitar has few attack EVs, and scolipede has no attacks), so Venusaur adds a bit more offensive presence. Hidden Power Fire is there for coverage (I hit a lot of scizors with it), Sludge Bomb for STAB (another plus in running offensive mega venusaur is that you can kill 252 HP/252 Def mega venusaurs with ease), and Giga Drain for STAB + Recovery. This serves as a good stop to landorus-t and pretty much most things in the OU metagame, for that matter, that would kill Diancie.

So yeah, that's my team. Diancie is so bad that I am 99% certain that it will drop to UU, and I'm not completely sure that its mega evolution will make it to Ubers. Right now the most prominent threat to this team, just off the top of my head, is Landorus-I, but there are certainly others. Haha, this was just made for fun + Diancie's design and I'll probably get tired of it, but I just wanted to share with you guys this neat little strategy I came up with. It was definitely better on paper, lol

Replays (more coming soon)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-140670781 Mega Venusaur putting in work

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-140672662
Diancie gets a kill
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-140687639 Chansey Walls

Last edited:
Because it seems unnecessary to just put one physical attack on Diancie and invest in attack EVs. It seems like a waste of a moveslot + evs. Sure, I could kill a talonflame, but would they stay in on a diancie? Mega Pinsir would probably wreck it with Earthquake.

You don't need to invest in attack EVs, but if you are going ot use Diancie, almost any set is a waste without Diamond Storm. When using Diancie, you almost always have to go mixed. You won't even get any Rock STAB without Diamond Storm.

I just had a great idea. Why not a weakness policy diancie set? Then I could run diamond storm + moonblast + psyshock + HP ground/Calm Mind! Yay or nay?

I agree with running a mixed set on diancie. It has a 100 base stat in sp. Atk and also Atk so it's not like a scizor running flash cannon. Since it has such a bad speed stat I would suggest running this set:

Diancie @ Leftovers
Quiet nature - Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 sp. Atk/ 4 Atk
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- HP Fire
- Calm Mind
Diancie is a bit like a Carbink, it doesn't need any defence investment because it already has a great base stat. All you need to do is invest a bit in its attack stats and HP and watch it destroy the likes of Talonflame and Charizard, whilst eating up hits like it paid for an expensive meal in a Chinese restaurant. Moonblast and diamond storm are stab, Calm mind is needed for diancie to do significant damage to the opponent so the final move should be HP fire. HP fire is good for grass pokemon and steel pokemon who will switch in expecting to take a diamond storm, then proceed to scare out your diancie, and don't expect it to be pulling a super effective move that will severely cripple them.

As for the weakness policy idea, no way man. Seriously, it is x4 weak to steel, one of the most common typings in the game, and there is no way it can survive one hit and activate the weakness policy. Even if it did survive one hit, would it survive two? If the opponent used EQ on diancie it would survive no problem but then they would probably go into a steel pokemon to tank all the hits you throw at it. It's just not a good idea.

I will rate fully tomorrow. Too tired to write any more. Good luck with your team!

Last edited:
Because it seems unnecessary to just put one physical attack on Diancie and invest in attack EVs. It seems like a waste of a moveslot + evs. Sure, I could kill a talonflame, but would they stay in on a diancie? Mega Pinsir would probably wreck it with Earthquake.
Also, Talonflames aren't as common as they used to be. :/

I agree with running a mixed set on diancie. It has a 100 base stat in sp. Atk and also Atk so it's not like a scizor running flash cannon. Since it has such a bad speed stat I would suggest running this set:

Diancie @ Leftovers
Quiet nature - Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 sp. Atk/ 4 Atk
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- HP Fire
- Calm Mind
Diancie is a bit like a Carbink, it doesn't need any defence investment because it already has a great base stat. All you need to do is invest a bit in its attack stats and HP and watch it destroy the likes of Talonflame and Charizard, whilst eating up hits like it paid for an expensive meal in a Chinese restaurant. Moonblast and diamond storm are stab, Calm mind is needed for diancie to do significant damage to the opponent so the final move should be HP fire. HP fire is good for grass pokemon and steel pokemon who will switch in expecting to take a diamond storm, then proceed to scare out your diancie, and don't expect it to be pulling a super effective move that will severely cripple them.

As for the weakness policy idea, no way man. Seriously, it is x4 weak to steel, one of the most common typings in the game, and there is no way it can survive one hit and activate the weakness policy. Even if it did survive one hit, would it survive two? If the opponent used EQ on diancie it would survive no problem but then they would probably go into a steel pokemon to tank all the hits you throw at it. It's just not a good idea.

I will rate fully tomorrow. Too tired to write any more. Good luck with your team!
Thanks for the set, thundershock. I'm aware that Diancie can't live any steel type attack in the tier, which is why I have magnezone. You see, magezone's ability is magnet pull, which traps steel types. All I have to do is switch into magnezone on a steel type, and it's pretty much dead. The only exceptions are Aegislash (ghost types can't be trapped this gen), and Heatran (Magnezone can't do much to it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)