Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Stone Edge / Photon Geyser
Item: Solganium Z / Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armour
Nature: Adamant / Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe or 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Tera Type: Fire / Water

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Dragon Dance Necrozma-DM is a ferocious wallbreaker and cleaner which finds a home on bulky offense and balance teams. Necrozma-DM is able to leverage its bulk, typing, ability, and the threat of Ultra Necrozma to force a switch or absorb an incoming attack and Dragon Dance.
  • Solganium Z allows Necrozma-DM to OHKO common switchins with +1 Searing Soulgaze Smash in the midgame such as Arceus-Dark, Yveltal, and Zygarde clearing the way for its teamates.
  • Weakness Policy turns Necrozma-DM into a lategame sweeper which can end games quickly upon activation due to its ability to live super effective hits from full health such as Precipice Blades or Overheat from Defensive Primal Groudon, Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh, or Foul Play from Arceus-Dark.
  • With speed investment and a Jolly nature, Necrozma-DM is capable of outspeeding Eternatus and Mega Mewtwo Y at +1.
  • An Adamant nature ensures that Necrozma-DM can OHKO several common switchins with +1 Searing Sunraze Smash such as Arceus-Dark, Defensive Yveltal, and untransformed Zygarde
  • If Ho-Oh is sufficiently covered Stone Edge can be substituted for Photon Gesyer. This still hits Ho-Oh hard while enabling Necrozma-DM to beat Dondozo which would otherwise wall it. It has the added benefit of OHKOing Eternatus without the need to spend a turn boosting.
  • Tera Fire provides Necrozma-DM a crucial burn immunity while retaining a resistance to Xerneas and Zacian-C's STABs.
  • Tera Water removes Necrozma-DM's weaknesses Primal Groudon's STABs and provide a resistance to Primal Kyogre's powerful water STABs. In a pinch it can also allow Necrozma-DM to survive and revenge the incredibly threatening Tera Blast Ground Zacian-C.
  • Alternatively, Necrozma-DM can run a bulkier EV spread of 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe with an Adamant nature. The extra bulk investment allows it to avoid KOs from some hits it otherwise wouldn't whilst still hitting important speed benchmarks. For example, Necrozma-DM will survive Life Orb Marshadow's Poltergeist after Stealth Rocks, Defensive Primal Groudon's Precipice Blades after a spike, and Defensive Kyogre's +1 Scald
  • Due to a lack of recovery, Necrozma-DM needs to be cognisant of its HP as any chip it permanent. Necrozma-DM frequently absorbs large hits while setting up or revenging certain threats and taking chip may render it unable to do so. For example, bulkless Necrozma-DM is OHKO'd by any attack invested Primal Groudon Precipice Blades after Stealth Rocks.
  • Dragon Dance Necrozma-DM is here for a long time, not a good time and should not be used to fulfill the defensive duties typically associated with Necrozma-DM such as switching into an unscouted Xerneas or Zacian-C, though it can revenge them. It excels at this when used as a secondary check with teamates such as Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon serving as primary checks.
  • Necrozma-DM struggles heavily against Primal Groudon and Marshadow which makes Zygarde a fantastic teamate as it is an excellent switch into both of them. The paralysis support provided by Zygarde also allows Necrozma-DM to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame which can allow for an extra Dragon Dance or the ability to throw out an extra attack when it would otherwise be unable to.
  • Arceus-Fairy provides a Dark resist on balance teams which helps mitigate the downside of misfiring Searing Sunraze Smash into the wrong target. It is a good Life Orb Yveltal check which is very threatening to balance teams and can revenge Necrozma-DM with Sucker Punch.
  • Giratina-O is a good teammate on bulky offense teams as it is a great Primal Groudon switchin and offers defog and status support.
[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/bumboclaat
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user2.102/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.103/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user4.104/

-------------

Notes for proofreaders / quality control:

• The Jolly spread can run 232 speed and still outspeed MMY at +1.
  • Similarly, the fast Admant spread can run 236 speed and still outrun base 120 at +1. There is not anything between 372 and 379.
  • Not 100% sure about what I've written for the Tera typing as I've only sun Sol G and used tera grass when I've used defensive DD sets
  • With regard to the 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Speed spread. It can drop to 124 speed, but I have seen 330 speed support Arceus forms. I'll be fiddling around in the damage calc to optimize the 128 HP EVs as it is likely that allocating some of those to Def or SpD allow it to avoid the ohko or 2hko from some hit after hazards.
  • Additionally the bulkier spread can run 176 Speed to outrun Adamant Marshadow. I don't know if this would clog things up too much to mention or how important it is. I don't personally think so which is why I've suggested 128 speed, but it was the suggested spread for offensive DD before the last revision in the strategy dex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)