Gen 4 Dragon/Rain Offensive Dpp Ou

The Team Members
Choice Band Dugtrio
Life Orb Weavile
Damp Rock Bronzong
Leftovers Jirachi
Lum Berry Dragonite

Life Orb Kingdra

The idea of this team is to remove common counters to rain and kill everything with hydro pump/ draco meteor from life orb Kingdra.
Various tweaks have been made to the team since i came up with the idea, the most notable being removing Magnezone for Dugtrio. Trapping is a huge part of the dpp metagame and Dugtrio does an incredible job of removing the single most annoying thing for this team, Tyranitar. Magnezone on the other hand often became useless and was occasionally just beaten by things it should counter.

Onto individual sets

Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Def / 72 SpA / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Wish
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Physically bulky Jirachi, this is designed to survive a physical attack and set the rain for Kingdra to destroy things. Naturally the moves need some explanation.

Rain dance- this is here to set the rain for kingdra and to help neutralise threats like infernape and heatran so Jirachi can be a menace.

Wish- Whilst Kindgra can dish out insane damage to the majority of the metagame(apart from Empoleon) wish support is borderline require for Kingdra to stich around due to its mediocre bulk.

Thunderbolt- one thing noted above was the problem with Empoleon. This move helps to mitigate this threat slightly. Jiratchi is also EVed to kill a Gyarados with thunderbolt.

Psychic- one of the most common leads is Machamp, by having psychic the team has some way of dealing with lead Machamp whilst increasing coverage. Whilst iron head was also considered, this Jirachi isn't fast enough to get full use out of Jirachi's flinching capabilities.

Bronzong

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake

Bronzong is very bulky pokemon that can deal with threats exceptional well while setting up stealth rocks and rain dance for Kingdra. It's job is then to remove things like suicune that are issues for Kingdra to kill without using draco meteor.

Rain dance- this move is self explanatory, it's on the set for the same reason it's on Jirachi.

Stealth Rock- stealth rock is one of the few moves that any and all teams must have. It breaks focus sash on most pokemon, racks up residual damage upon entry.

Explosion- this move is incredibly strong in both base power and metagame strength. It makes pokemon that could otherwise destroy a team an easy target such as suicune that can calm mind up and win many matchups, however with explosion you can take a large chunk from this massive threat with only a small loss to your team.

Earthquake- Earthquake is the final move on Bronzong, it's uses include but are not limited to, damaging heatran under rain, helping to remove the threat of empoleon and helping to beat other steel and fire types(under rain).

Weavile

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Low Kick
- Rain Dance

Weaviles has a number of jobs
This includes but is not limited to
trapping gengar,rotom etc
killing fast mons that have set up such as dragonite with ice shard
Killing tyranitar and other rock/steel types with low kick

Rain dance- it's inclusion is obvious

Ice shard- the main way this team revenge kills threats that are weak to ice type attacks

Low kick- provides better coverage and allows weavile to deal with heatran, tyranitar and some other pokemon

Pursuit- one of the best moves in dpp ou, it enables the removal of some of the biggest threats in dpp, gengar and rotom.

Dugtrio

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Jolly Dugtrio can trap many threats such as jirachi, heatran and tyranitar and deal massive(if not fatal) damage to them. The trade between Jolly and Adamant is difficult one to choose between. Jolly Dug outspeeds all of the above threats and also +1 T-Tar, however Adamant guarantees the KO on T-Tar with minimal investment.

Sucker Punch- help deal with gengar,rotom etc
Earthquake- important stab move that KOs lots of big threats specifically heatran
Stone edge- helps to remove pokemon that are flying types
Aerial Ace- almost purely for heracross and Breloom.

Dragonite

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite is used almost purely as a late game sweeper, it's only other role outside of that is to weaken a team that Kingdra wouldn't normally be able to handle.

Dragon Dance- this allows dragonite to sweep a weakened team

Outrage- A team that has lost its steel types will fall to this move, almost instantly. It's one of the strongest attacking moves in the game and a great stab attack for dragonite.

Earthquake- seems like the next most natural move to put on Dragonite, while this does make skarmory wall it skarmory is often sent out early in a game and can be picked off before dragonite sets up.

Extreme Speed- an 80 base power move with priority. This is an insane move that helps dragonite take on things that would otherwise counter it such as weavile and mamoswine.

Kingdra

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Mono stab attacks on kingdra allow it too demolish things that it need to greater power of draco meteor/hydro pump to beat whilst keeping the reliability of surf and dragon pulse.
This does lead to it being walled by Empoleon however this is a minor inconvenience since Empoleon whilst fairly common isn't seen in the majority of games.
Kingdra has a great matchup against offensive teams and usually tears giant holes in them allowing dragonite to sweep the remaining few mons left. Kingdras one weakness is its mediocre speed which is maximised in rain by swift swim.

I hope you all enjoyed reading about the team, here are some replays of the team.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-998954190
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-999005613

Older replay of what it use to be like
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-984276233

Last edited:
Hi man, first of all nice rmt, you had a clear idea and developed a team based on it, Still i see too much flaws on the team that can be solved to improve the team, keeping its essence.

There isn't too much room to innovation when we talk about rain teams, you decided to follow a common archetype:
Dedicated Lead + Rain Supports + Trap + Rain abusers (that take benefit of the trappers removing its checks).

One of the problems i see is that you rely too much on kingdra, is your only rain abuser and Life Orb + Opposing Hazards limit you too much, almost every mon in your team has rain dance but it's only useful for one mon in an offensive way, other problem is that you are too weak to hazards in general and your jirachi and your zong are way too passive to prevent your opp to set hazards up, and i think that a rain team should abuse more of the weather, so maybe a way to solve this could be replacing zong/weavile for another mon like: Qwilfish , Ludicolo, Zapdos, Latias, Cress...

Another point is that you are using two trappers but you aren't taking advantage of them, this type of teams tend to be a bit fragile compared to other ones, but this isn't a problem since Dugtrio gets rid of Tyranitar (Sand) , Heatran, Jirachi, "Bliss and Clefa" and Weavile traps Latias, Rotom and Starmie (keeping your rocks in the field) and adds a lot of speed control. So your team should use mons checked by the ones i said above that will be a big threat after trapping them.

Major Changes:

:Azelf: >> :Bronzong: I replaced bronzong which was too passive and added a dedicated rain lead that will ensure you set up rocks and rain if possible, Taunt is very useful to prevent your opp to set up hazards, something i like about Azelf is that it forces Ttar out so it'll be a lot easier to trap it with Dug and get rid about the sand. You could use Uxie too.

Minor Changes:

:Jirachi: Rain Dance wasn't neccesary here, and wish wasn't viable in your team since you couldn't pass it to almost anyone, so where going nowhere with this racho, so i added a more ofensive rachi that can take advantage of the rain with thunder, helps a lot with Machamp that was one of your issues, It will help you a lot against Lucario that used to destroy your whole team, and takes advantage of Dug getting rid of Heatran with its great offensive pressure.

:Weavile: No need to use Rain Dance, Night Slash is way more useful. Btw, even if you said you don't like it here, You should give a try to Zone > Weav since Skarmory /Forry / Rachi are more annoying than what weavile traps.

:Dragonite: I changed the item to Iache Berry, you don't need lum since almost every mon in your team threatens Breloom and Weavile traps Rotom. Despite not abusing of rain Dnite gets a lot of benefits of Weavile trapping Latias and Starmie. Iache will help you a lot against ice beam and especially vs Lucario's Ice Punch which was definately a threat to take care out of.

:Kingdra: I made Kingdra another rain setter which seemed to me the best option, also i changed the item to Mystic water, so hydro pump will still be very powerful and keeping Kingdra alive is so much easier now. If your trappers get rid of the special walls kingdra will probably clean the whole team or at least make the path easier fro Dnite/Rachi.

import: https://pokepast.es/3df60a2bff838c64

I hope you like it and find it useful, Hf!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)