Pokémon Dragonite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah...Heatran would be a problem and then roar you out. There goes your item and your stat boosts. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I think that, for DD Dragonite, Dragon/Electric/Ground coverage is the best if you pair it with Magnezone, who can magnet pull Ferrothorn and Forretress and has STAB Flash Cannon for Whimsicott, the only poke who resists Dragon/Electric/Ground.

Now, I struggle with an optimal EV spread for Adamant DDnite. At +1, I think it barely fails to outspeed base 130s, so which relevant scarfers should I keep tabs on? How many speed EVs should I put?

I think that, for DD Dragonite, Dragon/Electric/Ground coverage is the best if you pair it with Magnezone, who can magnet pull Ferrothorn and Forretress and has STAB Flash Cannon for Whimsicott, the only poke who resists Dragon/Electric/Ground.

Now, I struggle with an optimal EV spread for Adamant DDnite. At +1, I think it barely fails to outspeed base 130s, so which relevant scarfers should I keep tabs on? How many speed EVs should I put?
232 outspeeds noivern at +1

Any ice shard user has to be prepared for, and preferably taken care of before dragonite can sweep. Either ko'd, or you guarantee that you can survive 1 hit and OHKO back, or weakened enough that Espeed ohko's. Weavile isn't as dangerous as mamoswine, but it sucks to go up against

Have you guys been able to consistently use the Choice Band set? I always find myself better off with something like Scarf Garchomp or even Kyurem-B in his slot because they're much faster, and despite not hitting as hard they don't have to worry about taking a hit every damn time because you get outsped and can switch in more comfortably (because you want to preserve Multiscale). Garchomp also resists SR and Kyurem is not weak to Ice and also has a great offensive ability. Thoughts?

Have you guys been able to consistently use the Choice Band set? I always find myself better off with something like Scarf Garchomp or even Kyurem-B in his slot because they're much faster, and despite not hitting as hard they don't have to worry about taking a hit every damn time because you get outsped and can switch in more comfortably (because you want to preserve Multiscale). Garchomp also resists SR and Kyurem is not weak to Ice and also has a great offensive ability. Thoughts?
Espeed is the determining factor. Being able to revenge kill AND wall break is incredibly useful, and I'd use it over Kyurem (his physical set only) at least.

Espeed is the determining factor. Being able to revenge kill AND wall break is incredibly useful, and I'd use it over Kyurem (his physical set only) at least.
The problem is that Dragonite gives up too much momentum because of it's bad speed and being locked into a move, and that in a HO team is very frustrating to work around. Not to mention it looses too much of it's effectiveness if they manage to set up Stealth Rock. >.>
ES is very good, specifically to hit Talonflame, but the bulky set is much better for that anyway, because it can at least switch in better, and being locked on ES sucks so much. But yeah, I think it's better than Kyurem-B on a similar role, I guess.

The problem is that Dragonite gives up too much momentum because of it's bad speed and being locked into a move, and that in a HO team is very frustrating to work around. Not to mention it looses too much of it's effectiveness if they manage to set up Stealth Rock. >.>
ES is very good, specifically to hit Talonflame, but the bulky set is much better for that anyway, because it can at least switch in better, and being locked on ES sucks so much. But yeah, I think it's better than Kyurem-B on a similar role, I guess.
Not "I guess," the number of pokes that Espeed can 2hko is very impressive, and those that aren't are almost always slower. For the role of wall breaker on HO, there isn't a better dragon

Ice Shard KO's after MS is broken so outspeeding is not irrelevant. Even if you outspeed +1 ES doesn't KO (even with rocks it's still not guaranteed to KO)
Speaking of Weavile, seeing how ice punch ohkos through mc of any offensive dnite and icicle crash always ohkos any set, I would say breaking mc isnt your highest priority unless dnite already has its boosts.

CBBNite is a specially defensive set made by CrashBoomBang. I've heard it is quite effective on stall teams, but have not used it myself.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been saying it for ages, but I'll just keep saying it-- just use CB nite, because CB nite is the best thing since powdered cheese.

No but seriously, whenever I make an offensive team, I have to think of a good reason why I WOULDN'T want to use CB nite. ESpeed just trolls the whole meta, and Outrage bashes it's face in. EQ and Fire Punch give you all the coverage you need. It can turn the game around even at 20% health, so who gaf about SR? And when everything in the meta has Mold Breaker, Flying-type > Levitate

When Chou starts an offensive team:
-I'll use Aegislash (because seriously, why would you ever not use Aegislash?)
-CB Nite Cause ESpeed > Hyper Offense + Outrage > Stall = CB Nite > Meta (I mean, it ain't broke, but it's just way too damn useful)
-Consider a defogger/spinner to help CBnite-- 80% of the time it means Excadrill's going on the team (Cause Scarf Excadrill + CBnite = win, and Sand Rush Exca + CBnite = more win)
-pick 3-4 other scrubs to go along, with 1 or 2 set up sweepers who can set up on and kill after Aegislash and CBnite have softened the enemy's defense up.

i recently got an aqua jet dratini off wonder trade along with an extreme speed version should i use the extreme speed or aqua jet version

Regarding CBBnite:

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Dragonite: 196-232 (51.9 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

> mfw it came in after rocks, still survived the hit, and revenge killed my Raikou with EQ. Goddamn.

i recently got an aqua jet dratini off wonder trade along with an extreme speed version should i use the extreme speed or aqua jet version
Aqua Jet is a 40 BP +1 priority move...
While ESpeed is an 80 BP +2 priority move :D

Regarding CBBnite:

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Dragonite: 196-232 (51.9 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

> mfw it came in after rocks, still survived the hit, and revenge killed my Raikou with EQ. Goddamn.

Aqua Jet is a 40 BP +1 priority move...
While ESpeed is an 80 BP +2 priority move :D
my reason is surprise people expect extreme speed not aqua jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)