Monotype Drednaw (Water) [QC: 2/2] [GP: 1/1]

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Rain Sweeper
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Superpower
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Drednaw is a strong rain sweeper whose offensive presence is increased by its access to Swords Dance. The ability to set up in conjunction with its Rock typing allows Drednaw to switch into and break Corviknight, which would otherwise stall other rain sweepers such as Barraskewda and Seismitoad using Bulk Up and Roost. Furthermore, other defensive answers to Water-type teams, such as Toxapex and Ferrothorn, are unable to counter it after a Swords Dance. It is preferable to set up on predicted switches to checks, as it cannot afford to receive too much damage. Superpower allows it to break Ferrothorn, which is a huge threat to Water-type teams.

As Drednaw is a rain sweeper, Pelipper is an excellent teammate because of Drizzle, its Ground immunity, and its ability to safely bring Drednaw in with U-turn. Furthermore, it can weaken threats such as Vileplume and Toxapex with Choice Specs Hurricane. It is complemented by other Swift Swim Pokemon like Barraskewda and Seismitoad, as they can break each other's checks and overwhelm types like Steel and Dark. They also help weaken shared checks such as Ferrothorn and, in Seismitoad's case, set up Stealth Rock. Choice Scarf Dracovish is another Pokemon that can help break the opposing team and is able to eliminate threats like Hydreigon and Indeedee without rain. Toxapex helps weaken the foes by burning or poisoning them. Furthermore, it can switch in on Pokemon that threaten Drednaw, such as Choice Scarf Gengar, Mimikyu, and Lucario. Gyarados pairs well with Drednaw with its Ground immunity and can break through the opposing team, allowing Drednaw to sweep later. In a similar fashion, Drednaw can weaken the foe to help Gyarados sweep late-game. Crawdaunt helps Drednaw by breaking Pokemon like Galarian Corsola and Toxapex while taking out faster threats like Choice Scarf Gardevoir and Choice Scarf Gengar with Aqua Jet.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Kev, 314540]]
- Water analysis by: [[Kev, 314540]]
- Quality checked by: [[Havens, 391540], [Decem, 362454]]
- Grammar checked by: [[lotiasite, 302985]]

Last edited:

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
-Remove Galarian Corsola as something Drednaw can break and have a different example instead. There's a considerable amount that must be done in order for Corsola to feel threatened by Drednaw even under Rain. Drednaw needs Rain support, a Swords Dance boost, an Adamant nature and a Life Orb to do the damage to Corsola seen below, whereas even with all of those things it won't even 2HKO w/o a Flinch, Crit, or prior chip damage to where Corsola can Sap and/or Cursed Body come about and interrupt Drednaw from doing further damage.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Corsola-Galar in Rain: 247-292 (76.2 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-I suppose if you want to get closer to OHKOing Corsola, why not have Liquidation slashed with Waterfall?

QC 1/2

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
[SET COMMENTS]
If you're going to talk about how rain sweepers are stalled by Corviknight, I'd name examples of ones that can't break through it.

Need a line about Stone Edge and some examples of Pokemon it lets Drednaw hit. Gyarados is a huge one.

I would like to see a usage tip on how to set up Drednaw, examples of situations where you could boost.

Would talk about Pelipper's Ground immunity, U-turn, and offensive presence with Choice Specs too and how it can directly threaten Pokemon like Vileplume and Toxapex.

Seismitoad can set Stealth Rock. I would give examples of types that are overwhelmed by the multiple Swift Swim users, Steel is one I'd definitely like to see.

I would talk about Choice Scarf Dracovish as a wallbreaker that can also function outside of rain and examples of Pokemon it can take on where Drednaw cannot. So talk about it as a wallbreaker and then mention how it can beat things outside of rain and examples.

Crawdaunt gets strong priority in Aqua Jet which is useful for picking off Pokemon like Choice Scarf Gardevoir and Choice Scarf Gengar that can outspeed Drednaw under rain. As a wallbreaker, it can take on Pokemon such as Galarian Corsola, Jellicent, and Toxapex for Drednaw.

For Toxapex, I wouldn't say namely Grass-type attacks since I feel like it's not typically the case anyways. I would say how it can just switch into Pokemon that threaten Drednaw like Choice Scarf Gengar, Mimikyu, and Lucario.

I added a lot of detail, but good work otherwise, QC 2/2

Last edited:

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Rain Sweeper
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Superpower
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Drednaw is a strong rain sweeper whose offensive presence is increased by its access to Swords Dance. The ability to set up in conjunction with its Rock typing allows Drednaw to switch into and break Corviknight, (AC) which would otherwise stall other rain sweepers such as Barraskewda and Seismitoad using Bulk Up and Roost. Furthermore, other defensive answers to Water-type teams, such as Toxapex and Ferrothorn, are unable to counter it after a Swords Dance. It is preferable to set up on predicted switches to checks, as it cannot afford to receive too much damage. Superpower allows it to break Ferrothorn, (AC) which is a huge threat to Water-type teams. Stone Edge is a powerful STAB move that allows it to hit Pokemon like Gyarados and Toxapex. (if you're not gonna mention waterfall, i doubt there's any need to mention this either)

As Drednaw is a rain abusweeper, Pelipper is an excellent teammate because of Drizzle, its Ground immunity, (AC) and its ability to safely bring itDrednaw in with U-turn. Furthermore, it can weaken threats such as Vileplume and Toxapex with Choice Specs Hurricane. It is complemented by other Swift Swim Pokemon like Barraskewda and Seismitoad, (AC) as they can break each other'(apo)s checks and overwhelm types like Steel and Dark. They also help weaken shared checks such as Ferrothorn. Also, and, in Seismitoad is able to's case, set up Stealth Rock. Choice Scarf Dracovish is another Pokemon that can help break the opposing team. It and is able to eliminate threats like Hydreigon and Indeedee without Rrain. Toxapex helps weaken the opponentfoes by burning or poisoning them. Furthermore, it can switch in on Pokemon that threaten Drednaw, such as Choice Scarf Gengar, Mimikyu, and Lucario. Gyarados pairs well with Drednaw by being awith its Ground immunity and can break through the opposing team, allowing Drednaw to sweep later. In a similar fashion, Drednaw can weaken the foe to help Gyarados sweep late-game. Crawdaunt helps Drednaw by breaking Pokemon like Galarian Corsola-Galar and Toxapex, while taking out faster threats like Choice Scarf Gardevoir and Choice Scarf Gengar with Aqua Jet.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Kev, 314540]]
- Water analysis by: [[Kev, 314540]]
- Quality checked by: [[Havens, 391540], [Decem, 362454]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]lotiasite, 302985]]

gp 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)