Emboar

Wifi Emboar is embarassingly bad, its simply too suicidal while lacking the power to do anything without its DW ability which even then it needs Trick Room to abuse. Seriously, this thing much like Samurott manages to take the worst of every elemental starter of its kind from previous gens with little redeeming abilities.

In the Trick Room set he should run Hammer Arm and Earthquake again expanding how many things he can hit.
No. Why you'd ever use EQ is just mindboggling when it has redundant coverage with Hammer Arm and he actually gets STAB on Hammer Arm. Also Mixed doesn't work very well but by god you will lose count how many times you wish you had Grass Knot when TR is up, piggy manages to attract Water/Grounds like flies.

Wifi Emboar is embarassingly bad, its simply too suicidal while lacking the power to do anything without its DW ability which even then it needs Trick Room to abuse. Seriously, this thing much like Samurott manages to take the worst of every elemental starter of its kind from previous gens with little redeeming abilities.
Good point, competitively a lot of Emboar's battling options are gimmicky and sound better on paper.

No. Why you'd ever use EQ is just mindboggling when it has redundant coverage with Hammer Arm and he actually gets STAB on Hammer Arm. Also Mixed doesn't work very well but by god you will lose count how many times you wish you had Grass Knot when TR is up, piggy manages to attract Water/Grounds like flies.
EQ doesn't drop speed, which matters in a trick room set, but I agree that the coverage can be a little redundant and EQ would serve better than Hammer Arm, hits fire types if that even matters. And Emboar draws those pokes b/c common Water/Grounds in OU and UU>Emboar

EQ doesn't drop speed, which matters in a trick room set, but I agree that the coverage can be a little redundant and EQ would serve better than Hammer Arm, hits fire types if that even matters. And Emboar draws those pokes b/c common Water/Grounds in OU and UU>Emboar
Hammer Arm > Earthquake. As said before, Hammer Arm gets STAB, giving it an effective power of 150, and lowers speed, which is basically a speed boost in TR.

I planned on running a mixed one in TR:

Emboar @ Shell Bell
~ Overheat
~ Wild Charge / Protect
~ Hammer Arm
~ Rock Slide / Stone Edge

I was thinking of running it in the VGC, the main point is to still have a powerful STAB without having to worry bout recoil. Wild Charge is somewhat of a filler, though, as Jelicent is the most common water type in VGC. Protect to give his partner a chance to set up Trick Room. Shell Bell to somewhat make up for Wild Charge recoil (And because you have to worry about Item clause in VGC).

Also, EQ is completely excluded from this set because in VGC it hits nothing that Rock Slide/Stone Edge doesn't. In fact, its more of a hindrance because my other Pokemon have to protect themselves because of the lack of slow levitators this gen, wasting TR turns. Most common threats like Landorus are resistant or completely immune to EQ.

Emboar is completely outclassed by infernape and blaziken, outside of a little bit more bulk and wild charge. Its clearly only viable in lower tiers and the only set that actually allows it to sweep would be an offensive choice scarf.

This is somewhat like the Flygon vs Garchomp debate. When garchomp was back in OU, it completely outclassed flygon resulting in flygon dropping to UU, as long as infernape and blaziken are OU, Emboar wont be looked at twice in any competent OU team.

Emboar is completely outclassed by infernape and blaziken, outside of a little bit more bulk and wild charge. Its clearly only viable in lower tiers and the only set that actually allows it to sweep would be an offensive choice scarf.
Emboar can do Trick Room better than them both, but that's not enough for him to be OU (although, TR is better in doubles, so...). This is partially the reason VGC doesn't allow Pokemon from Generations 1 - 4, is because this gives us a chance to try the new Pokemon without them being outclassed by older Pokes.

Emboar can do Trick Room better than them both, but that's not enough for him to be OU (although, TR is better in doubles, so...). This is partially the reason VGC doesn't allow Pokemon from Generations 1 - 4, is because this gives us a chance to try the new Pokemon without them being outclassed by older Pokes.
Yes, at least Emboar has something going for it. Shiny blue flames and the ability to rock in Trick Room. Reminds me of a Rhyperior in that aspect.

But in trick room it's tricky.. [no pun intended] on picking a quality moveset.

You could run a Chesto-Resto if we're talking Trick Room here. You'd want him to be around longer for epic slow-sweeping under trick room, and his okay bulk(mostly HP, but eh) can make it work. Too bad Spikes are a &#$%# to deal with.

0 Speed IVs
Reckless
Brave @ Chesto Berry
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
~Flare Blitz
~Wild Volt
~Hammer Arm / Head Smash
~Rest

and if that doesn't fit your fancy, this lucky bastard gets (correct me if I'm wrong on availability due to DW ability+breeding, although my simulator doesn't say it's invalid)

0 Speed IVs
Reckless
Brave @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
~Flare Blitz
~Wild Volt / Head Smash
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

I'm trying to run a Trick Room Emboar right now, with a set of

Emboar @ Muscle Band
252HP / 152ATk / 104SpAtk
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Hammer Arm
- Heat Crash

It's a damn shame his best moves are recoil moves.. TrollFreak is a bitch.

But what should i do differently? or change up?

I run him on my Trick Room team as a physical battering ram. He usualy gets 2 kills a game.
He is not a bad pokemon at all once his speed problem is solved.
Here's the set im useing:

Emboar @ Expert Belt
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def; 0 Spe IV's
Reckless
Brave Nature
Head Smash
Hammer Arm
Wild Bolt
Flare Blitz

Why use life orb when the piggy's defenses aren't that great? It seems like the muscle band would be a better choice to me. He isn't going anywhere with sp. attack, so why get a slightly bigger boost in both at the price of hp?

Why use life orb when the piggy's defenses aren't that great? It seems like the muscle band would be a better choice to me. He isn't going anywhere with sp. attack, so why get a slightly bigger boost in both at the price of hp?
Not sure what set you're talking about, but 110 spA isn't that bad.

Not sure what set you're talking about, but 110 spA isn't that bad.
Doesn't Emboar have 100 Special Attack? It's still not that bad, but it could be better.

Phadunk's set: Earthquake and Hammer Arm have redundant coverage. It needs Wild Charge or Stone Edge for Waters and Fliers respectively. Grass Knot can be used over Scald for bulky Water Pokemon too.

I'd change your set to this:
-Flare Blitz
-Hammer Arm
-Wild Charge
-Stone Edge/Head Smash
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Life Orb

Emboar's uniqueness from Arcanine and other offensive fire types lie in its ability, Reckless and its status inflicting water move, Scald. Flame Charge isn't really viable due to its weak defenses despite its HP and the fact that it won't survive long for with all of its recoil moves. Plus Choice Scarf has the same boost in speed as one Flame Charge (he won't survive long for two anyways). That said, here's a suggestion of a mixed Choice Scarf set:

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Naive
Ability: Reckless/Blaze
ATK:252 / SPE:244 (outspeed base 120) or 216 (outspeed base 115) / SPA:12 or 40

-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Scald
-Grass Knot/Superpower/Stone Edge/Head Smash/EQ

The only uniqueness as said previously is Scald. Your opponent's guaranteed to switch expecting a Flare Blitz, to a ground/rock/dragon and then you surprise them with Scald, with its 30% burn rate. This isn't OU of course, but this set still keeps its immense physical offense while adding a uniqueness using its decent SPA, being the only fire type to know a water type move that has the added effect of 30% burn, bar Hidden Power (water) which is weaker and has no added effect. This is great surprise for some common switch ins, Hippopowdon, Tyranitar, Swampert, Garchomp, Gliscor etc.

I would rather just run Superpower and Grass Knot. Of those you listed, only Gliscor takes more damage from Scald than it does Grass Knot. Rock types are covered by STAB Superpower, Ground by GK, and the OU Fire-types are hurt really hard by Emboar's STAB (Superpower for Nape/Darmanitan/Heatran, Flare Blitz for Volcarona). Chandelure is really the only one hit harder by Scald.

Yeah I guess, if the burn was all one wanted then I could have just used Will-O-Wisp instead of Scald....ugh. Plus Emboar's gonna switch out eventually because of Choice Scarf so the defense and offense drops by Superpower won't really matter too much anyways

There really isn't any hope for Emboar, except reckless, trick room, and grass knot which Arcanine doesn't have. But Infernape gets grass knot....and lets not even talk about Blaziken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)