EVOlution 1 - Part 2 - Typing Poll

which type should we change?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, and even that is a very wtf move for Shroomish.
But note how Shroomish is a Pokemon that evolves at a lower level, giving it a larger radius of potential. Farfetch'd would need an item to evolve, meaning that you can't just change its entire moveset, you could add abilities and moves, but only a level-up evolution can change from a shroom into a sweeper in one swift motion.

But note how Shroomish is a Pokemon that evolves at a lower level, giving it a larger radius of potential. Farfetch'd would need an item to evolve, meaning that you can't just change its entire moveset, you could add abilities and moves, but only a level-up evolution can change from a shroom into a sweeper in one swift motion.
What does that even mean? There is no reason why we have to limit ourselves that way.

For example the stone evolution of Togekiss gives it four new attacks that Togetic lacks.

*Sigh* Whilst I really want to have Sword Duck (the idea of Farfetch'd becoming that badass is awesome), I don't see how we'll make anything really new/creative; (Sword Duck will have Stab Fight + Swords dance over Raptor, maybe we could give it back BP somehow? It used to get it from Stadium 2. Maybe the EVO could have it as a heart scale thingy?), with less movepool. Seriously, it has stat boosters and knock off currently over Staraptor. Heh, considering his current movepool and stats, this could easily actually be a Magikarp/Gyrados Evo. Well, more like Kirlia>Gardevoir... Or Tyrogue. Referring to movepool wise, not stats.

Just a thought; how about a RIFLE duck. Idea comes from Cartoon's(?) old avatar. The Dux EVO looked as though it was meant to hold a sniper rifle (probably cus' it reminded me of ye old cowboy with the hat). I know nintendo would never make it, but we ain't nintendo.

EDIT: Oh, btw Chaos Blade, Scyther's only Steel Move is Steel wing. It evolves to Scizor using an item. There's no suggestion it should be Steel. Also, whilst pure flying would be new, I've always felt pure flying would be reserved for a miniature cyclone thingy.

Gorm said:
actaully im trying to be civil here.
Try harder please. "lol CAP is a playground with a bunch of kids not knowing what they're doing"

You have no right to say what's good or bad for the CAP metagame if you've never played it, and if you keep insulting the server or its community, that's not going to help.

You have some points, but you're also being a total douche about it.

I didn't vote yet. I'm all for a Normal/Flying passer with some Scyther-like moves, tbh, which means we won't need Fighting Farfy.

I'm fairly neutral in regards to Gorm's comments, atm. In Syclant, we weren't really looking to full any particular niche, we just set off with the vague idea it "should sweep", and ended up with something workable. However, he does have a point in the fact that picking Farfetch'd is blatant fanboyism. The point of CAP is to experiment with the metagame, byexploring new roles - so far, I think Revenankh and Fidgit have done this best, creating "new" niches are using old ones in original ways. Farfetch'd has no particular niche to improve on, and if we create a niche for it, we may as well just crate a new Pokemon.

On the other hand, if we don't evolve Farfetch'd now, he will get huge numbers of fanboys complaining every time we do an EVO. Let us just get Farfetch'd out of the way, then we can start on the more indepth stuff without fear of whinging. Plus, this is the first EVO. I'm thinking of it more than a test run, than anything else.

Anyway, I voted to change the Normal type, simply because neither of the other two options stand a chance in hell of winning. I would have prefered no type change, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if someone presents a more interesting type switch option.

Seems like poor houndoom loss to an idea of an overpowered Staraptor oh well i vote normal i want it to suffer from SR.

I've seen no constructive reasoning in this thread on why there should be a type change in Farfetch'd. Remember flavour is secondary to competitive changes and "samurai duck", "knight duck" or [insert type] is really cool does not count in the long run. Good reasoning pertaining to how a change in type will help in the Pokemon's current role (which is pretty much non-existant, i'm regretting voting for Dux now) such as being non SR weak helping switch-ins for [insert role] and its effect on performance would be better.

I don't know enough about the metagame to structure a good arguement for any type sadly. Plus the poll's going one way anyway it probably wouldn't help now even if I did have the knowledge. I hope people keep this in mind for future though.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, if you haven't seen any constructive reasoning as to a type change, I'll provide one (hopefully!).

If we were to evolve Farfetch'd properly, its base stats total can only increase by between 125 and 175 at most. Since Farfetch'd has rather balanced stats, it seems conceivable that its evolution would have relatively balanced stats also. Maybe it would lean more in attacking prowess, or in defensive prowess, but the end result should be relatively balanced. This would imply that its stats would become slightly better than something like Golduck's... which in my opinion won't make it OU unless there's a type change of some sort (and a movepool improvement, but that's for another thread.)

This is the reason why I voted to change its Normal type to something else. What that new type would be is obviously up for discussion, however. I would go for that type that gives us the best usability, metagame-wise, for this Farfetch'd evo.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
There's a difference between a unique type combo and a unique niche. Just saying.

Anyway, I voted for Normal/Flying because CAP is, like, never gonna do a Normal type, and I think it's less fanboyish to keep it the same way, but I'm cool with whatever.
I know.

The thing is that we have so many normal/flying pokes around with so many different niches that finding an specific one for Farfetch'd will be very hard.

If you change typing, the number of already filled niches will decrease, IMO, which is good.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I voted change normal typing after looking at the massive amounts of Flying/Normal Pokémon. CaP is a different metagame designed to test the Pokémon we make on this forum and I voted change normal typing so we could create something completely different to the masses of Flying/Normal Pokémon.

(Pidgeot, Fearow, Staraptor (?), Togekiss, Chatot, Dodrio, Swellow and Noctowl)

Though it's obvious people are bound and determined to make Far a fighting/flying evolution, I voted to keep its type. The lack of a single fighting move in its original pool being a big reason for that.
-Surskit can't learn any Flying-Type Move
-Kirlia can't learn any Fighting Type Move
-Nosepass couldn't get any Stell Moves until Platinum, which is really just Iron Defense
-The only Moves Eevee can learn that are types of its Evolutions are Bite, Fake Tears, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, and Rest, the last three of which are quite redundant.

I know there are more examples, but just because a Pokemon doesn't get any moves of a certain type does not mean it can't become that type upon evolution.

Why is it that pokemon with only wings or paws or no appendages at all are using Sucker Punch, while the true fist throwers are left without it?
This one can be answered. It's called Ambush in Japan. It really has nothing to do with Fists or Punching.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Just like about 80% of people, I voted 'change normal type'.
It's just that there are lots of possible better typings.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Oh, come on, we obviously have to make the leek take over its mind, a la Paras/Parasect, and have it as Grass/Flying. :V

How about we drop Normal and just do Flying?

I voted for No Change and my simple reasoning is this. There are many MANY pokemon that are Normal / Flying types in the game but not one of them is succesful. I would like to see the community vote for it, even though they won't.

But couldn't we make the Farfetch'd evolution like have Snorlax stats? He could be like a King bird, like incharge of all the normal type flying Pokemon, or like a Poke-god, I mean slowpoke turned to Slowking. and there is Seaking, and Slaking. HAHAHA

I think if your going to change the normal, you have to look at it as a hole, you change it too Dark/Flying. it's basically a Honchkrow, if you change it too Poison/Flying, it's basically a Crobat, also you want to look at it as a "bird" Pokemon, what are bird types doing with Rock types, (I mean know there is Aerodactyl, but he's different.) and Ground types, don't work with "birds" really except Dodrio, (because it just runs fast and doesn't fly) and (Gligar who is part ground, but not a bird) you want to look at the whole "Farfetch'd" and think what would you like to see, and why would you like to see. Also, does it make any sense when it evolves, will Farfetch'd evolve into something ridiculous, (like a completely different Pokemon) or will it at least look like's it's pre-evoution?

I'm just saying look at Farfetch'd, before you change anything. I vote for not changing anything.

I'm in favor of keeping the Normal/Flying typing, despite having a plethora of other N/F types out there.

To make the EVO unique compared to other N/F types is its ability to hold certain hold items as weapons (and raises its stats)

Stick: Raise its Critical Hit ratio (normal effect) + Raises ATK by __ points
Thick Club: Raises ATK by __ points (more than Stick, but doesn't have the Critical Hit ratio increase) + Allows EVO to learn Boomerang/Bone Club/Bone Rush if it wishes at __ level.
Lagging Tail: EVO always attacks last + Raises ATK by __ points (much more than Thick Club)
Twisted Spoon: Raises SPATK by __ points
Poison Barb: All contact moves will have a 15% of poisoning opponent + Grants EVO to learn Poison Jab at __ level.
Dragon Fang: Dunno
Lucky Punch: Dunno
_____ Plate: Grants EVO resistance to _____ type.

Basically, I want the EVO to be the first pokemon to be able to use different hold items as weapons that will have beneficial secondary effects.

Completely agree. I think people began to equate "weapon usage" with "fighting type," even though no fighting pokemon actually use weapons.
Why does it have to be restrictive like that?

Look at a fellow Normal/Flying, Swablu. Is there any indication that it would evolve into a Dragon? Is Altaria the least bit Dragon-like? They kind of had to stretch the definition of "dragon" away from "a mythical monster generally represented as a huge, winged reptile with crested head and enormous claws and teeth, and often spouting fire" (Dictionary.com) to get Altaria, and I don't see why we can't do the same for Fighting--IF that's what people want. In any case, what about the leek makes Farfetch'd Normal/Flying? And what's stopping Farfetch'd evo from having big fist-like wings, and hold the leek in its bill? As for what Fighting/Flying Farfetch'd evo would actually look like, that's for the artists to decide, IF people should vote for that type combination. But just because it seems slightly strange to you, and you can't envision it, isn't a good argument against it.

Finally, there are legitimate martial arts styles that focus on weapons.

(On the side, about this whole conflict, I don't like how Camerupt was proposed because it remedies problems in Platinum OU. Whatever the evo project makes, is not going to be used in Platinum OU per se.)

(On the side, about this whole conflict, I don't like how Camerupt was proposed because it remedies problems in Platinum OU. Whatever the evo project makes, is not going to be used in Platinum OU per se.)
I'm pretty sure someone said this was for the OU metagame.

I voted for Changing the normal type because, it's kinda annoying to have a bunch of the same type of pokemon. I really don't have much of my reasoning but I can say that I do belive a water/flying pokemon would look really cool.

[/quote] I guess we just have different definitions of "fighting-like qualities." To me, nothing about a duck with a leek screams "fighting pokemon." Add in the fact that he has no fighting-type moves in his entire movepool (unless I missed one).....I'm just not seeing it.[/quote]

I agree with this statement. Farfetch'd doesn't seem like a Flying/Fighting type to me. I'd say either Flying/Grass or Flying/Steel. The leek could transform into a sword?

In no way or form is he more like part Steel than Fighting...

And the evolution can be quite different than the pre-evolved Farfetch. He can have a bigger leak, like a weapon. More muscular wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)