ORAS Ubers Exceeded Darkness

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Hey there, and welcome to my newest ORAS Ubers RMT. I decided that it's time to post another RMT since I am close to temporarily quitting Pokémon for Fire Emblem Fates. Anyway, let's talk about the team. I've been participating in the Ubers Seasonal for the second time, and since I had to drop out from my first one due to some issues I had with my laptop, I decided that it was about time to get things started. In the first rounds of that tournament, I've been using some leftover teams, but when I got to Round 10 I decided that it was finally time to build new teams. So I started writing down some possible ideas and tried making teams out of them, although nothing worked out initially besides a Lugia-based balanced team. After wasting almost three hours, I asked some friends on Pokémon Online to help me with teambuilding ideas. The user Poke Expert suggested Choice Banded Rayquaza, and that was when things got heated. My thought process immediately was to remove my opponent's Rayquaza checks, so I came up with a Rayquaza / Thunder Wave Gothitelle / Hex Mega Gengar combination. Well anyway, I guess I should show my teambuilding process below. Here is a song that made me keep my calm while battling. Hope you all enjoy the cover by LeeandLie:

So like I said, I began with these three Pokémon. The idea was to break through stall while crippling many Pokémon with status effects to make Rayquaza's job easier. The offensive presence was great, but the three Pokémon obviously lack defensive capabilities, so I added three more Pokémon.

I decided to add Primal-Groudon as my Stealth Rock user, as there was nothing to lose from adding such a useful Pokémon to the team. I also need a Defog user, and I thought that adding Arceus-Water would be optimal. With that said, I needed a better check to Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus, so I also added Skarmory.

At this point, I had a team extremely weak to hyper-offense, Xerneas and Dark-type Pokémon. As I needed to make many changes to the team in order to address these problems, I decided to remove Rayquaza altogether, since it's hard to keep that Pokémon alive, and I preferred Mega Salamence anyways. So I replaced Rayquaza with Mega Salamence and used Giratina-O instead of Mega Gengar. After that, I added Klefki and removed Skarmory, since my team needed a check to Dark-type Pokémon immediately.

I didn't really like Arceus-Water since it was way too passive, so I decided to use an Arceus Forme that can be used more offensively. The best choice to be offensive while having a Ho-Oh/Mega Salamence/Rayquaza check was Arceus-Rock. Another change I made was removing Gothitelle for Darkrai, which gave me a lot of Speed control while allowing me to check more or less Arceus-Ghost. Shoutouts to Hack for pointing out my team's previous weakness to Arceus-Ghost.

And here we have the complete team. I'll give a more detailed description below, so be sure to continue reading.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
Double-Edge
Dragon Dance
Roost
Refresh

Mega Salamence is this team's strongest Pokémon, and I often use it to KO a paralyzed Xerneas. It is also an excellent Pokémon for breaking down walls and smashing holes in the opponent's team. I decided to use the Refresh variant of its Dragon Dance set since I don't really gain anything from using Earthquake in this team. Double-Edge is the preferred attack since I want to deal much damage as possible, while Refresh removes status effects. Roost is for recovery, and Dragon Dance is to boost its Attack and Speed. The Speed EVs allow it to outrun Choice Scarf Landorus-T and +2 Speed Primal Groudon after one Dragon Dance. There is really not much to explain here since pretty much everyone knows how to use Mega Salamence properly.

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Dark Void
Dark Pulse
Sludge Bomb
Substitute

Darkrai is the fastest Pokémon in this team, and is often used to weaken the opponent's teams with a combination of status effects and chip damage in order to open a path for Mega Salamence or Arceus-Rock to sweep. It can cripple one Pokémon with Dark Void by putting it to sleep, and this opens a lot of room for me to get some momentum going with my other Pokémon. Normally, Darkrai doesn't fit into any playstyle besides hyper-offense, but its use in this team is magnificent, as it makes an excellent duo with Giratina-O, since the Renegade Pokémon can use the sleep or poison from Sludge Bomb to double the power of its Hex technique. Dark Pulse is mandatory on Darkrai and its best STAB move, while Sludge Bomb gives it near-perfect coverage. For the last move, I chose Substitute since it can be useful for checking certain Pokémon and lock Ho-Oh into Sleep Talk until it wakes up. I invested all of its EVs into Speed and Special Attack since there is no reason to invest some into bulk, as Darkrai is quite frail anyway.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 244 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
Hex
Draco Meteor
Defog
Thunder Wave

Giratina-O is my Defog user, and I normally don't switch it in at all as long I feel safe even with Stealth Rock on my side of the field. I usually try to force my opponent to use Defog, since I am the one spamming entry hazards most of the time. I consider Defog to be mandatory in a balanced team, hence why this Giratina-O knows it, although in reality, I use this Pokémon more as a sweeper anyway. Its strongest Dragon-type move, Draco Meteor, can deal a fair amount of damage to opposing Primal-Groudon, while Hex is a great move whose power is doubled if the target is under a status effect. It is such a strong move which is used very often in this team. And finally, Thunder Wave is to cripple Pokémon in order to vastly reduce their Speed while doubling their vulnerability to Hex. The EVs are all invested into Special Attack and Defense in order to tank some hits from Pokémon such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon. I considered using a physically-offensive Giratina-O though, as a priority attack is excellent in this team for dealing chip damage in order to finish off some weakened Pokémon, while using Dragon Tail to pseudo-Haze away an Extreme Killer Arceus that knows Recover can be very useful. Although in the end, I still prefer the specially-offensive set, and Arceus-Rock can burn Recover Extreme Killer Arceus anyway.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Lava Plume
Roar

Primal Groudon is my main switch-in to Primal Kyogre, and also acts as my Stealth Rock user, which is mandatory in pretty much every team. I prefer using two STAB moves instead of Stone Edge, since Lava Plume's high burn chance can really benefit Giratina-O and the power of its Hex attack. Earthquake is used instead of Precipice Blades since I can't afford to miss, while Roar is a really good move especially in a team featuring Stealth Rock in addition to Spikes. Most of the time, I use it to pseudo-Haze away a boosted Geomancy Xerneas. The EV split might seem a bit strange, but it comes really handy at times. If I lead with Primal Groudon against an opposing Primal Kyogre, my Desolate Land will always take effect since my Pokémon is slower. Finally, because this team lacks an extremely dedicated special wall, the EVs invested into this Pokémon's Special Defense stat are very useful for tanking the hits of specially-offensive sweepers and wall-breakers, especially the Ice Beams of Primal Kyogre.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Calm Mind
Recover
Judgment
Will-O-Wisp

Arceus-Rock is my Ho-Oh counter, which can also be used to check other powerful Flying-type Pokémon such as Rayquaza and Mega Salamence, and additionally it can be used as a cleaner. I decided to use Judgment as its sole attack since any other damaging move would be dumb on this set. Arceus-Rock is another Pokémon which is used to pressure the opponent, especially by burning Pokémon in a metagame dominated by Primal Groudon and Magic Bounce Pokémon. This is really awesome since they are forced to switch out against the Alpha Pokémon, at which it can proceed to deal some damage to the opponent's team with Judgment. Calm Mind allows this Pokémon to become a frightening sweeper, while Recover lets it stay healthy. I am using an EV split which allows me to tank a +1 Earthquake from Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock damage, so that I can retaliate with a super effective Judgment. Arceus-Rock can also be used to check Yveltal, but be sure to heal with Recover before switching out.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Spikes
Play Rough

Klefki is this team's final member, and is used to check Dragon, Fairy and Dark-type Pokémon. While being able to spread status, it can also support the team with Spikes. Most of the time Klefki is used to cripple Darkrai and Xerneas with Thunder Wave, or Toxic Primal-Groudon on the switch-in. There are countless ways to use this Pokémon, but I prefer the original set which I find to be the most helpful. Spikes are used to deal some damage to the opponent's team and limit their freedom of switching, while Play Rough is to hit Pokémon like Darkrai and Yveltal, or break the potential Substitute of a Xerneas and deal some damage to it. All the EVs are invested in Special Defense in order to tank a hit from a +2 Special Attack Xerneas. There really is nothing more to say about Klefki since everyone knows this set. If you don't know it you should quit Pokémon.

Click for the Importable

Mega Diancie

Mega Diancie can be really annoying since my only solid switch-in to it is Arceus-Rock, which can still be hit for major damage by Earth Power. I usually try to weaken this Pokémon with small damage from things like entry hazards and Klefki's Play Rough in order to remove it later with Darkrai if necessary.

Ditto
A really annoying Pokémon. It completely takes momentum away if I play wrong. The way to beat this Pokémon is to centralize your plays around Arceus-Rock. An executed Substitute from Darkrai on the switch-in also does the job.

Primal-Kyogre
Not really a threat, but it can be annoying. I am not dumb enough to stay in while my opponent can switch in with their Primal Kyogre, but if played right my opponent can deal damage to my Primal Groudon with Ice Beam until it faints, which may open a path for another Pokémon such as Xerneas to sweep.

Rayquaza
Choice Band Rayquaza is a pain to face when it has Aqua Tail. Don't stay in with Primal Groudon for too long and you should be fine unless you let yourself get baited like a fish.

Dialga
The worst Pokémon for this team to face. The only plays are paralyzing it with Klefki or putting it to sleep with Darkrai. It is such a huge threat that I really need to play carefully around it. I am glad that people don't use this Pokémon very often.

Deutsche:
ShadowQuinn - Unsere Konversationen sind echt immer geil. Bist ein richtig cooler Typ den man vertrauen kann.
lord qwilfish - Manchmal kindisch aber sonst eigentlich ziemlich korrekt. Ohne dich wäre es bestimmt ziemlich langweilig.
Ice Tea - Hahahaha ich weiß gar nicht wo ich anfangen soll. Bist einer der lustigsten Personen von ganz PS. <3
Superior TTar - Rayu du stinker. Du bist in letzter Zeit echt immer AFk, aber deine Serien sind geil. Wer hätte gedacht das GoT doch gut ist.
schnalkser - Tipps für's Leben. Hier seit ihr genau richtig. Cooler Typ. ^^
Erz - Der einzige Fairy Tail Fan den ich kenne. Solide in Pokémon ist er auch noch. ;]
Fionavar - Fio!!! Wir reden sowieso schon viel zu oft per PM. :]
Feraen - Wir werden sowas von Fates spielen. 20 Mai soll mal endlich kommen haha
Lord Deidara - Deidei ist auch eine coole Person mit der man immer gute Konversationen führen kann.
Jay Santos - Wo bist du?
Magermilchpuur - Bist echt gut in Ubers! Zumindest in den alten Gens.
karla Schnikov - Qwilfish 2.0... Deine random Kommentare hauen mich immer wieder um.
Wings of night - Dein neuer Name ist zwar bisschen komisch aber das ändert trotzdem nichts daran das du echt gut in Ubers bist.
Erz - Tennis-Gott.
bluri - Bist ziemlich nett. Gen 4 OU ist aber scheiße.

Ubers Community:
SparksBlade - Whenever I am online the first message I get is from you. You are always so nice and I really enjoy having a little chat with you. Keep the weird links to a minimum though...
GunnerRohan - Great battler. Thanks for rooting for me in my battles. Haha ^^
Pohjis - Someone who keeps the Ubers chat active. Good job.
Arii~ - Really nice user. I think we fought against each other a lot back in PO.
DracoMaster Dab - Greatest UPL testing partner! Durians hehe ;)
Exiline - Where are you lately? Need more anime talk. :[
Ghost2Hunt
hyw - One of the funniest persons I've ever met. You always destroy me with your standard HO though. >_>
James Jimmy - Make more music! You are very skilled but you should sleep more.
Incarnation-Fate - Apparently you tripped on a banana.
magsyy - (puke)
Mysterious M - One of the better PO players.
Astounded - One of the gods from Gen 6 Ubers.
Melle2402 - Du wirst immer besser haha ^^
PoMMan - Thanks for recording the series. Nice YouTube by the way.

Frost Cavern:
Draciel RC - A really good friend. You are always there to hold me back when I am raging. Thats what make you really precious friend. <3
NananaBatman - You are always so direct, but thats what I like about you. :]
AFK Vision Ward - Wayne. So nice and don't worry. I will never hate you.
Z+V - Really skilled user. Hope you keep up the good work.
JoyFrost - Great mod. You never really talk much but are always there when I need you.
Poke Expert - Great Ubers player. Really nice talking with you.
The Alio - Bell I need some new animes!
TraceofLife - Really underrated player! You are really skilled. Sorry for my bad behaviour the other day.
Fate Testarossa - Greatest mod. I hate how you already played Fates. You are the only one I am teasing. Haha ^^
Atli - Spero che si perde POWC . :P
Diamondslight - Diamond is drunk.
DracoNinja - Lewdest girl I've ever seen. xD
Albert / cries in vain - The person I trust the most. You are always surprising me with your teams. Also... I AM NOT FAT! WTH
amber lamps - Bernstein sei davvero troppo tranquillo . Hai bisogno di parlare di più !
Carl Murray - Murrayino! Make english videos...
Ben - Best emo ever! A really good friend. <3

Hellfire Club:
Lord Outrage - I still remember when we met 2013. Greatest moment ever. :]
Dark.Future - When I heard that you died I was really in shock. Glad that was a lie haha ^^'
Chill Shadow - Great user! Gengy is always nice and knows how to play PO tiers.
Prince Lucian - Thanks for that NU team again. ^^
TCMK - virgin... when are we playing?
HaxED - Skilled. Remember how you rekt me back in XY? xD
Fille - [Hero]~
slurmz - Cool guy and good allrounder!
Amir - Solid OU player!
SCHEFF - Keeps the chat alive. Also a really funny user.
Kame2333 - Cool guy. Always makes the chat great.

Heavenly Dragon Gods:
Transcendent God Champion - I always enjoy talking with you. We will meet again when Sun & Moon comes out.
xDesch - You always sneak into my battles. Haha ^^
Itachi - BF 6v6 god xDDDD
Dragon God Red - When are you coming back? ._.

Team created by Lacus Clyne
RMT written by Lacus Clyne
Grammar checked by Transcendent God Champion
Art made by Albedo

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
this team is a pretty solid balance build with darkrai, but it tends to struggle vs certain mons imo and I wouldnt really run sub darkrai on this type of team, Im not a huge fan of the set; I'll keep the rate simple. (grats on seasonal win btw)

I just feel Arceus-rock is a bit random on this team (to justify the sets b/c making it hard to deal with ho-oh otherwise, with a few set changes you could get away with a E killer on this team to hold down more offensive pressure and momentum upkeep, gives the team some reliability priority and something offensive that partners with darkrai nicely and is a good revenge killer, E killer can be an offensive answer to Diancie-mega mentioned in ur threatlist which is neat.

Sub rai doesnt really offer much on this team beside sleep due to the poor damage output, you could run a Life orb NP thunder set over ur current set, would help rectify your kyogre matchup/ho-oh while still hitting all of the common rai checks, allowing you to damage klefki aswell which is nice.

To justify the changes above, you should run more defense/bulk on mence to control Ho-oh/Pdon better aswell as opposing SD Arceus, since you're hex tina and doesnt really phaze setup arcs.

Anyways thats all I have to comment on for this team, good luck with Ubers

Wings of Night

I COULD BE BANNED!
I'd change Rockceus to SD Recover Arceus-Ground because that gives you a solid answer to Dialga and counters Mega Diancie. While that leaves you a bit weaker to ho-oh and Mega Salamence the former can be a bit less annoying by using thunder wave/rock type > plume and roar on pdon or running NP Thunder Darkrai (which I also agree with) and Mega Salamence can't really setup on much anyways except -1 Groundceus or something. With these changes the team will be a bit weaker vs Mega Sableye so I guess you could run facade > refresh on Mega Salamence to break Lugia easier which eases a Groundceus Sweep vs stall teams. Just my two cents tho, the team is pretty solid.

Cool balance Lacus!
I like arceus-rock on this team but ekiller its a good option too.=)
Gratz on winning Winter Seasonal^-^
Thanks for the shoutout and I hope we can fight ORAS as well as we played XY!

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Contrary to everyone else in here, I do like substitute darkrai on this team. It is a quite superb balance breaker and waltzes right past a fair number of normal Darkrai checks.

What I am not a fan of is how weak this team currently is to more defensive Geoxerns. Block and Rest Talk will find an easy time against your team, since the paralysis doesn't stop it, and its hard for you to weaken it enough to kill it with Salamence. SD Arceus-Ground does help out here, and does make you less weak to Diancie and Dialga, as well as giving you another threatening sweeper, but I dont really feel this is something that is easy to fix without redoing most of the build, so you'll just have to play aggressively in that matchup. Heal Block Klefki could also help.

So assuming SD Arceus-Ground is implemented, you definitely need a more solid Ho-oh answer. The most obvious solution is making Salamence more defensive (you dont need that much speed in all honesty, you can set up on scarf lando-t or just roost on it, and +2 speed primal Groudon should look to outspeed Genesect and Yveltal anyway) and I would say 68 or 72 speed would be enough (just slightly creeping Supportceus formes), and the rest can be thrown into defense so that adamant band ho-oh has a miniscule chance to kill you after rocks. Thats still not exactly fantastic vs Ho-oh, so I'd say also use Stone Edge over Lava Plume on Groudon, meaning you can run a careful nature and potentially try and speed creep a bit, because Ho-oh forcing out half your team is not a good thing when you dont have a solid answer to it. Again thats assuming you're swapping out Rockceus for SD Groundceus.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SD Groundceus > Rocky and LO NP Thunder Rai > current set deals with most of your weaknesses. You can compensate for Ho-Oh by using Rock Slide + TWave on Groudon over Plume + Roar (or just Rock Slide if you want to keep Roar, but TWave helps mess with Groundceus checks and fuels Hex), switching to Impish nature and running some speed creep. Using more bulk on Salamence would also help, but aside from Klefki and Giratina-O post-Meteor this team is actually rather unfriendly to Ho-Oh (assuming you switch to Thunder Darkrai) so a dedicated check might not be as necessary. Facade might not be too bad of an idea on Mence either since it lets you use Salamence as a pretty nasty beatstick against a lot of Groundceus checks once it's been statused.

Grats on seasonal win. n_n

I agree 100% with Fireburn. E-Killer or Swords Dance Arceus-Ground, along with the changes to Darkrai and Groudon-Primal's sets will probably make for a better version of this team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)