Eye On the Prize?

Hey, so this is my first VGC team(s), and my friends have given me negative feedback about it. However I've found it's success rate on the Skarmbliss VGC Pokemon Online server to be 70-75%. It's succession with double battles using all generations is around 50-55%. Because the VGC is the best 2 of 3 I will have 2 different teams of the six pokemon I list, and I'll describe their use on both teams

Team 1

Amoongus@Black Sludge/Leftovers
Relaxed
126Hp/252Def/126SpDef?

Ragepowder
Spore
Protect
Giga Drain

Team 1: Amoongus is pretty obvious, Ragepowder to tank while I attempt at a sweep with Zoroark. And to Spore like a whore, because there is no sleep clause. Giga Drain so I can restore my health, and if I get taunted to have something to do besides Struggle.

Renucleus@Life Orb
Quiet
192HP/64Def/252SpA

Trick Room
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Team 1: Being one of the best Trick Roomers really makes this pokemon appealing, which is why I'm using it. With it's few weaknesses it'll be very useful in battle. Trick Room is self explanatory. Psychic for stab psychic type move. Shadow Ball for Ghost types. Focus Blast for Dark types. Simple as that.

Conkeldurr@Flame Orb
Brave
Guts
252HP/252Atk/4SpD

Mach Punch
Protect
Payback
Drain Punch

I'm pretty sure that Conkeldurr will be one of the most used pokemon in the VGC alongside Jellicent and Amoongus. With it's godlike attack after a guts boosts and it's great coverage, it's not much of a question why. So obviously first turn I protect. Once I have the Guts boost it's just sweeping from there. Payback is for psychic and ghost types. Drain punch for a powerful move w/health regen, and then Mach Punch for surviving outside of Trick Room.

Chandelure@Focus Sash
Quiet
252SpAtk/252Hp/4SpDef

Trick Room
Heat Wave
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

So, with Chandelure I plan on just having a basic sweep. Heat Wave for a fire type AoE, Shadow Ball for stab and ghost types. Focus Blast for dark types and Trick Room for late game set up, just in case.

Team 2.1:Post Zoroark

Amoongus@Black Sludge/Leftovers
Relaxed
126Hp/252Def/126SpDef?

Ragepowder
Spore
Protect
Giga Drain

Team 1: Amoongus is pretty obvious, Ragepowder to tank while I attempt at a sweep with Zoroark. And to Spore like a whore, because there is no sleep clause. Giga Drain so I can restore my health, and if I get taunted to have something to do besides Struggle.

Renucleus@Life Orb
Quiet
192HP/64Def/252SpA

Trick Room
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Team 1: Being one of the best Trick Roomers really makes this pokemon appealing, which is why I'm using it. With it's few weaknesses it'll be very useful in battle. Trick Room is self explanatory. Psychic for stab psychic type move. Shadow Ball for Ghost types. Focus Blast for Dark types. Simple as that.

A little help here? Druddigon with Macho Brace maybe? Alongside a Golurk?

team 1 looks great, but team 2 to me is iffy. you shouldnt use zoroak w/ nasty plot as it takes a space for an attacking move like flamethrower or hp ice. also during regionals you could only choose 1 lead, which is why you should save something like team 1 and 2 for nats. also in team 1 u should scrap focus blast on chandelure and put protect as conkeldurr can deal with that.

Problem one.... two focus sashes...
The second problem, is that ideally in a vgc team, you should be able to easy assemble multiple teams out of the same six, with all of them being reasonably appealing. Your attempt at team two, was not thoroughly though out, as you only have two options, and you may get to three rounds. Keep in mind that at regionals you only need a four pokemon team, and at nationals then you end up using a six pokemon team, which is most likely very different. Zoruark is far too vulnerable to multiple possibilities, the most obvious ones being a bug type move. However, it is also extremely vulnerable to powerful moves of different types that may be hurled at it. Also, taunters with prankster may taunt your "reuniclus" only to find that its a zoruark. In the mean time you gain no sp. att. Also, Zoruark is so frail, it will die from almost anything, so powerful attacks that may hit reuniclus (such as flight jewel boosted acrobat) will be powerful enough to bring it down to the sash. With only one target attacks, and mienshao having issues doing anything, I don't see that getting of the ground. Also, your two other pokes don't really compliment the leads at all.

As for fixes, I suggest you keep team one for regionals, and use a different more flexible one for nationals. (or last chance qualifier and swiss rounds if you're doing that) The first team could also has some small flaws. You're using payback in trick room, which is not nearly as powerful as it would be otherwise, as you'll be going first most of the time. I'm also not sure if reuniclus has enough oomph to really deal enough damage as a tr sweeper, but I've never used anything but the cm set, so I'm not completely sure.

Problem one.... two focus sashes...Zoruark is far too vulnerable to multiple possibilities, the most obvious ones being a bug type move. However, it is also extremely vulnerable to powerful moves of different types that may be hurled at it. Also, taunters with prankster may taunt your "reuniclus" only to find that its a zoruark. In the mean time you gain no sp. att. Also, Zoruark is so frail, it will die from almost anything, so powerful attacks that may hit reuniclus.

1.Yes, I was wondering about the focus sash problem and I was thinking of possibly getting rid of Chandelure.
2&3.My Meinshao is meant to protect from the majority of the threats such as possible Mach Punch (Quick Guard) possible AoE (Wide Guard) and then I have Protect for other means.
4. You are right about prankster taunters, and I have been thinking lately about scrapping Nasty Plot and putting in Flamethrower. I really want to make a team based around Zoroark as it seems that it's ability seems really helpful, but with lots of flaws, but does it really seem like that team 2 will crash and burn?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)