ORAS Doubles OU Fairytale

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Fairytale

a HO RMT with M-Diancie & friends

Introduction:
hi everyone, shadestep here! you (doubles OU community) probably don't know me, because I'm not really involved with the tier. I do although ladder Doubles OU quite a bit (that place is worse than hell, I swear), have joined the Doubles OU Open tournament and am also playing as Doubles OU for the OR/AS Team Tournament.
I mainly play UU, and Doubles OU is a really fun and interesting tier to play and learn when I'm bored of UU.
I made this team in the preperation of DOU open, and have used it in round 1 and round 3.
I know far from everything about this tier, so any help and criticism is greatly appreciated!

Teambuilding Process:
+

I started off with a 2-mon core of M-Diancie and Aegislash. they work well together because Aegislash struggles with fast things like Keldeo, Charizard-Y, Heatran, etc. with Wide Guard, it supports M-Diancie really well because Diancie doesn't have to fear things like Heat Wave, Earthquake or Rock Slide anymore, shutting down the mons that use those moves.

+
+
+

next up, I went with bulky Thundurus and Greninja. I thought Greninja was a cool hipster lead with protean + toxic spikes + sneak + Mat Block. Mat block is what caught my attention the most, because it's (atleast I thought so) is really useful in certain situations. Thundurus was added for Thunder Wave and Taunt support.

+
+
+

after asking in the Doubles room for help, I soon found out that Greninja was not considered a really good mon, and it was easily replaceable with Keldeo. Keldeo also supports me with Quick Guard which is always useful for dealing with Azu, Talonflame, Fake Out mons etc.

+
+
+
+
+

I was looking pretty weak to Amoonguss and M-Kangha, and Intimidate is always a good ability to have. Talonflame has Tailwind, which makes opposing Tailwind teams quite a bit less scary, as for example Heatran + Keldeo can wreck pretty much my entire team with a tailwind up (my only check is Thunder Wave Thundurus).

Movesets, EV Spreads and Explanations

+
+
+
+

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect​

pretty standard moveset and EV-spread. Pulled this one right from the smogdex analysis for M-Diancie, and I have not found the need to change anything on it. Max Speed because Diancie has a very high-traffic speed tier that it wants to compete in. 48 SpA to OHKO Heatran (non-Shuca) and Bisharp, the rest goes in to the most spammable move Diamond Storm.
It has good synergy with Thundurus and Aegislash; it kills mons like Heatran and Talonflame that annoy Aegislash and Thundy as they can't hit them hard and risk getting Heat Waved for a shit ton of damage.
It's one of the only 'answers' to Bisharp on the team, and kind-of deals with Weavile which is also a threat.

+
+
+
+

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball / Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
the Aegislash set is also pretty standard. Max HP and Max SpA is pretty much all you need to hit as hard as possible. Quiet nature makes your Speed lower. this is for Aegislash mirror matches, as you will always underspeed other Aegislashes, allowing you to hit them when they are in Blade-forme so you can hit them as hard as possible. the rest of the set is pretty obvious.
Aegislash is here to deal with Cresselia, slow TR mons like Aroma and Bronzong, and most importantly Fairy-Spam. Wide Guard gives M-Diancie and Thundurus a relieve, as they don't need to be super-worried of powerful Earthquakes and Rock Slides from things like Lando-T and Terrakion.
a last-minute change I made was Sub -> Shadow Ball to deal with Bisharp a bit better as it creates another 50/50 situation and it makes the opponent focus-fire on Aegislash, giving its current partner a bit of a free playground.

+
+
+
+

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
next up is standard bulky Thundurus. I received mixed opinions about this set from the Doubles room, and I'm also not a 100% overwhelmed by it I must say. the lack of speed is really devastating sometimes, getting KOd before being able to get a hit off is a very annoying thing. Taunt for Cress, Moonguss etc, Thunder Wave because it's so easily spammable and can completely change games around, HP Ice for Landorus etc, Thunderbolt as obligatory STAB-Move.
Thundurus was added to the team mostly for priority Thunder Wave. this can also be done with other mons (whimsicott, klefki), but it also gives me some raw power and a bit of bulk to the team. it helps weaken Landorus-T for Talonflame and my own Lando, and checks fast threats like Rain Sweepers (Kabutops, Ludicolo etc) by Thunder Waving it.

+
+
+
+

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Quick Guard​
oh Keldeo, how I love you so. its design, useful support moves, cringeworthy Speed Tier, cool Physical/Special-side hitting moves makes it a good addition to the team. it deals with Kanghaskan, Lando-T, Talonflame (because of Quick Guard), and annoying bulky set-up mons.
Life Orb cuz you kill shit with it, Timid because you really need the speed.
Keldeo was a good overall pick because of the utility it gave me, as well as check most Rain Sweepers and Bish + Weavile, which are a big problem for this team. It has good synergy with pretty much anything but especially Aegi and Talonflame as it gets rid of bulky steels and ground-types for them, while providing them with a bit of support as well.

+
+
+
+

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Explosion / Knock Off / U-Turn
good 'ol Scarf Lando-T. reliable scarfer, has a plethera of cool coverage moves to choose from to decimate opponents.
Yet again a pretty standard set. the only unorthodox thing is Explosion. it has clutched me some games in the past, but it's not always that useful. Knock Off or U-Turn are also viable options, it's just preference I guess.
this thing is here to check most physical attackers like M-Kangaskhan, Talonflame and Terrakion. it is also a soft-check to Zard-Y, because you can never have enough Zard checks on your team.

+
+
+
+

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Brave Bird​

Ht 'n Run. this Talonflame set is not designed for longevity, but for killing shit fast. moveset is pretty self-explenatory, Flare Blitz and Brave Bird are pretty much Talonflame's only two viable offensive moves D:
Tailwind is to not get overran by other Tailwind teams, and it's used mostly as a safety net as you can almost always get up a Tailwind due to Talonflame's completely balanced ability Gale Wings.
I added this because the team looked pretty weak to Amoonguss and Ludicolo. without priority Brave Bird, Ludicolo could run through my team and Amoonguss could almost spore everything for free.

Final thoughts:
this team has done me very good on the ladder as well as test battles vs. friends and in the DOU Open tournament and the ORAS Team Tournament (Go Pilots!) .
it is far from perfect, but pressures bulkier teams a lot because literally every mon is offensive, there are no sitting ducks like Amoonguss and Cress that can only support and have literally no offensive presence.

it might not be the best team to use but it sure is a hella fun team and it deserves a try.

Threats and Problems:
-> I have found Bisharp - in combination with other threatening mons - to be a big problem to my team. Landorus-T + not having a good counter to Dark/Steel moves (apart from Keldeo) can be the downfall when Bisharp gets +1 due to Intimidate or a Moonblast drop etc.

&
&
-> I always struggle vs. Trick Room teams. 2 things have taunt on this team, but that's often times not enough to stop Trick Room from getting up. I handle it by spamming protect, but it's really hard (probably cuz im bad :{ ) to deal with Trick Room as of my experience.

&
-> strong physical Fighting types are a problem, as weird as it may sound. paired with something like Togekiss, they can really blow holes in the team because of powerful STABS + coverage moves etc.

+
+
-> the team is very prone to Status. Thunder Wave spam is really annoying, as well as Scald Burns as they render some of my members completely useless for the rest of the battle.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Quick Guard

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Explosion

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Brave Bird

If you're still reading up to this point: thanks for your time and any constructive criticism is very much appreciated! :]

edit: added explanations as to why I chose what pokémon and what role it plays, thanks to Stratos and KyleCole who noted this.

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
It's nice to see some standard diancie ho, we haven't had a good rmt in a while. Grats on making it this far in open too, it's top 8 now, right? That said, I do see a few tweaks you could add.

Life orb aegi doesn't have to be quiet. More often than not, an opposing aegi will be chipped enough for you to ko, so it's better to attack first and preserve your own bulk. Since you're running twind, adding 80 speed is also an option to pass adamant tflame and base 110s like diancie. If you feel like 80 is too much to sacrifice from bulk and spa, just creep a little bit to pass other aegi. Be careful though, speed creep gets pretty dangerous, especially against subaegi.

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 291-346 (89.8 - 106.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

You could swap hp ice on thundy for tect, it eases your prediction/tr matchup and you have enough other lando checks. Oh, it also gives you another mon to explode lando next to.

Keld would also prefer having protect over taunt, you're generally leading qg keld+ taunt thundy against tr anyway, and you can probably pick off weakened setters with hydro after the first set.

Talonflame prefers adamant over jolly, you already pass base 110s with adamant and it gets you some relevant favorable rolls and offensive benchmarks.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 149-177 (46.7 - 55.4%) -- 70.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 289-343 (94.7 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Amoonguss: 398-468 (92.1 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Pretty sure there's other stuff you hit like hoopa and fast garde, but there really isn't a reason for jolly except passing other tflame, while adamant gets you pure damage.

That's pretty much my rate. Cool team overall.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It's nice to see some standard diancie ho, we haven't had a good rmt in a while. Grats on making it this far in open too, it's top 8 now, right? That said, I do see a few tweaks you could add.

Life orb aegi doesn't have to be quiet. More often than not, an opposing aegi will be chipped enough for you to ko, so it's better to attack first and preserve your own bulk. Since you're running twind, adding 80 speed is also an option to pass adamant tflame and base 110s like diancie. If you feel like 80 is too much to sacrifice from bulk and spa, just creep a little bit to pass other aegi. Be careful though, speed creep gets pretty dangerous, especially against subaegi.

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 291-346 (89.8 - 106.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

You could swap hp ice on thundy for tect, it eases your prediction/tr matchup and you have enough other lando checks. Oh, it also gives you another mon to explode lando next to.

Keld would also prefer having protect over taunt, you're generally leading qg keld+ taunt thundy against tr anyway, and you can probably pick off weakened setters with hydro after the first set.

Talonflame prefers adamant over jolly, you already pass base 110s with adamant and it gets you some relevant favorable rolls and offensive benchmarks.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 149-177 (46.7 - 55.4%) -- 70.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 289-343 (94.7 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Amoonguss: 398-468 (92.1 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Pretty sure there's other stuff you hit like hoopa and fast garde, but there really isn't a reason for jolly except passing other tflame, while adamant gets you pure damage.

That's pretty much my rate. Cool team overall.
hey man, thank you for your rate. btw i got knocked out round 3 or 4 of open haha, but thats besides the point.

your suggestions all make a lot of sense. I am going to play around with the speedy Aegislash set and see what I prefer. Protect on Thundurus is also a solid option, but leaves me very vulnerable vs. Lando-T's when I have Thundy + Aegislash out for example.

I really think I need Taunt on Keldeo tho. spore-spam (especially amoonguss) is very annoying and hard to deal with. having a mon that can generally not really touch Amoonguss shut down its support capabilities gives me a bigger advantage than scouting and/or free turns with Protect.

the Talonflame calcs you showed seem really solid and I will try out Adamant. thanks for your rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)