Ferrothorn just did 50%+ in one turn :)

Introduction: I've always wanted to try out a semi-stall team, and so I finally decided to make one. The team uses Toxic stall Ferrothorn to it's fullest potential, which can do over 50% damage in just one turn. I think it's good, but I want you smogon to be the judge of that.

At A Glance

Tyranitar@Leftovers
-Stealth Rock
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Crunch
252hp/164spa/94spd
Brave(+Atk, -Spe)
Sandstream

Perhaps the best member of the team, Tyranitar is incredibly multi-purpose. Sets up stealth rock, beats other defensively oriented teams, counters a lot of offensive pokemon, tanks special attackers,and checks Latias and Latios. Wow. That pretty much sums up Tyranitar, it's that good. Even with all the new fighting types in the metagame I think he's a huge staple in today's metagame. Although he's Conkeldurr bait that's kind of the idea. My main sweeper, Volcarona, sets up on anything Conkeldurr has bar the rarer Stone Edge. Tyranitar and Volcarona are a dynamic duo, some of the only things that can stop Volcarona are checked by this Tyranitar. Tyranitar is a little predictable, but makes up for it with great coverage and it's invaluable Dark STAB. Reuniclus plows through quite a large portion of this team with the exception of Volcarona and Tyranitar, however Tyranitar is the better check. Latios and Latias are also only checked by this guy. Tyranitar is truly amazing.

Ferrothorn@Rocky Helmet
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Toxic
-Power Whip
226hp/252def/32spd
Impish(+Def, -SpA)
Iron Barbs

Oh this thing is a beast. Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs does a ton of damage, from just touching this guy. Combine that with Toxic and Leech Seed, and the opponent's pokemon is down in a matter of seconds! Ferrothorn also fires off that super strong Power Whip to speed things up. I also use him to wall stuff like Exadrill lacking X-scissor, Gyarados, Starmie, Suicune to a lesser extent, and for just most sweepers in general. The main selling point of Ferrothorn is how much damage it can cause in so little time, this kind of lets Ferrothorn "sweep" in a way but I wouldn't call it "defensive" because of the offensive potential of this set. Overall Ferrothorn is a useful trollish pokemon.

Salamence@Leftovers
-Wish
-Protect
-Dragon Tail
-Flamethrower
252hp/240def/16spe
Relaxed(+Def, -Spe)
Intimidate

Ferrothorn's partner in crime, not only does it have the resistances, it has the surprise value to go with it and the ability to heal it with wish. Salamence also helps past Ferrothorn, filling in many holes that the team would have trouble with. Although Salamence's stats don't scream "wall!" it does have a great attack stat, not only racking up damage with spikes from Dragon Tail's phazing, it actually does some significant damage. It's wishes are at best medium sized, but a lot of the team has pretty suckish hp anyway. The main thing that sets Salamence from the rest of the crowd is it's Dragon/Flying typing. With it's STAB Dragon attack, it can beat some Dragon types such as Scarf Chomp by taking their Outrage and doing a lot of damage with Dragon Tail. The last hole it really fills is a much needed surprise value. A lot of of attacks that could KO offensive mence are 2-3HKO's on this mence. I like to call it the new Bulky-dos, but I don't think that will ever catch on....

Rotom-W@Leftovers
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Pain Split
200hp/164def/146spa
Modest(+SpA, -Atk)
Levitate

I like to call Rotom-W one of the most important members of the team. I've been using the standard 128hp/252spa/128spe Rotom-W spread with little success, but modifying the evs really helped him. 200hp/164def/146spa spread lets Rotom-W take on Excadrill with so much ease, taking a maximum of 34% from a +2 Rock Slide and OHKOing back with STAB Hydro pump. But perhaps the main reason I'm using this defensive washing machine is it's versatility. It can take on Conkeldurr, Garchomp, Gyarados, Metagross, Jirachi, and is my best bet against the standard MixTar. He is also my only Landorus check. Taking Rotom-W off the team would bring up a fairly large list of checks, so having him would remain would be wise. He's pretty solid right now, the only real problem I've had with the team that Rotom-W doesn't fix is CM Virizion(help with that would be appreciated). In conclusion Rotom-W is a great team member and deserves a spot on this team.

Excadrill@Air Balloon
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin
4hp/252atk/252spe
Jolly(+Spe, -SpA)
Sand Rush

This guy is a great team player. He can sweep really well, and can rapid spin for volcarona. Plus Salamence's defensive abilities are hampered from 25% damage each switch, so Excadrill helps in that aspect as well. Also since Mix-tar is capable of defeating Gliscor and Slowbro, Excadrill runs into fewer problems. Excadrill also helps at being a second sweeper, letting me not get in too much trouble from Volcarona fainting. However, Excadrill and Volcarona are both weak to bulky waters, making Rotom-W Excadrill's favorite teammate, since he also Gliscor and Slowbro along with different bulky waters. Unfortunately, I still need a reliable check to CM Virizion because Volcarona doesn't always defeat it. Overall, Excadrill fills many roles and is a good sweeper on this team.

Volcarona@Chesto Berry
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Rest
4hp/252spa/252spe
Timid(+Spe, -Atk)
Flame Body

Chesto+Rest Volcarona is incredible! Set up a bunch of Quiver Dances, thanks to it's nice bulk, and then rest off any damage or status and stealth rock, then sweep. I could have used Excadrill, but I think this Volcarona is actually better, it has a lot less checks than Excadrill. I really don't think any team can stand up to a +3spa +3spd +3spe Volcarona(that literally is how many Quiver Dances it gets up). It beats Vaporeon for crying out loud! It deserves to be the main sweeper on this team, and makes this team semi-stall. You may argue about the 4x stealth rock weakness, but the raw power of this Volcarona more than makes up for it. Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance surprisingly gets good coverage, but Fiery Dance in particular has that great bonus effect of a potential raise in special attack. This pokemon is the best late game sweeper and sweeper in general in my opininon.

Well that's the team! Rate Please!

Do you have to have Sandstream on your Ttar? Seems like only 2 pokes on your team don't resist it. Seems like an unnecessary ability to me.

The 16 speed evs arent doing anything for Salamence because you are using a Relaxed nature. If you want to outspeed adamant Breloom or other base 100 Speed Pokemon that run minimum speed, you should switch to a Bold nature otherwise you are just "wasting" 16 evs that can go to better use. Of course with a Bold nature Dragon Tail wont hit as hard though.

@mike2084- sandstream is neccesary because without it tyranitar doesn`t get the x1.5 boost to it`s sp.def to counter lati@s and other special attackers.

@krum- hmm. I`ve never run into a situation were speed fails. However I think an impish nature is best, since it gets the same 1-2HKOs as the relaxed. Thanks!

You say you're using Ferrothorn to wall Exadrill lacking X-Scissor. Both bug and ground are neutral against Ferrothorn with STAB earthquake doing nearly twice the damage (150 base power vs 80 BP). So yeah, that doesn't make sense.

Salamence doesn't get wish (at least according to Serebii). Even if it does though it is highly redundant with Roost, so switch Roost for Protect as it does exactly the same thing, plus let's you scout for possibly choiced moves. Also, Salamence is a long way from tanking Scarfchomps Outrage. I haven't run any calcs, but even if it survives it's probably in KO-range from Ttars sandstorm... Furthermore, you have Volcarona, but no Rapidspinner. That is bad, because it looses half it's HP just upon switching in, meaning it can switch in exactly TWICE (taking Rest into consideration, and being at full health upon switching out. Which is unlikely.). So, you definitely need a Rapidspinner! Considering you already have Sandstorm I'd suggest Excadrill, with the standard SD, EQ, Rockslide and Rapidspin. You could try using it over Machamp, as it seems to be the closest to a sweeper you get outside of Volcarona, and other than it's fighting - STAB it really doesn't do a lot you said (even though I personally like Machamp a lot)

@SP- Oh thanks that wasn't supposed to be in there, thanks for pointing that out Ill change it.

@Teandal- Salamence does get wish, for one thing it's an event and also it's in the analysis for defensive salamence it's at the bottom part of the analysis here... http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87324 but I think you're right about protect. Excadrill does sound like a good option, so I think I'll make Tyranitar the "lead" for the team and Excadrill next to Tyranitar's spot. Thanks for all your help :)

When I saw the title of this thread, I expected Choice Band Ferrothorn :)

Anyways, Reuniclus seems like it could be a problem. It can set up Calm Mind and sweep your team. After a few Calm Minds, Volcarona can't KO Reuniclus anymore. In fact, after a few Calm Minds only Tyranitar can really do a lot of damage, but it won't OHKO (it will do around 60%) and Reuniclus will KO back with Focus Blast. Conkeldurr also seems annoying. It can stop Tyranitar, Ferrothorn and Excadrill with its Fighting STAB, and also survive an attack from Volcarona and KO back with Stone Edge.

What I suggest is using a Victini over Volcarona. It resists both Psychic and Focus Blast from, as well as Drain Punch and Mach Punch and does a ton of damage with a CB boosted V-Create or Zen Headbutt.

Victini @ Choice Band | Victory Star
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
V-Create / Fusion Bolt / U-turn / Zen Headbutt

You may also want to consider using Brick Break, as it hits Tyranitar and Heatran, though Tyranitar can be hit hard by U-turn as well.

Next, I suggest using a Chople Berry on Tyranitar over Leftovers on Tyranitar. It allows you to survive a Focus Blast from Reuniclus and therefore defeat it more reliably.

Lastly, I suggest using Protect on Ferrothorn. It allows you to stall the opponent with another turn of Leech Seed and Toxic damage and recover with an extra turn of Leech Seed recovery.

Good luck!

Parashuffle Dragonite is by far and away superior to your Dragon-Tail Salamence. You don't even have to abuse Sub/Roost. You could still have the anti-Ferrothorn move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)