First OU team

Alright, so eventually I got tired of running random teams and instead decided to put at least some effort into making a team. This is the fruit of that effort, but it could use some improvement....

Gigalith@Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EV's: 128HP, 252Atk, 128 Sp.Def
Nature: Careful
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Toxic/Iron Defense/Explosion

With Sturdy's newly found usefulness, Gigalith became a very appealing lead to me. With tons of attack, defense, and the ability to set up guaranteed stealth rocks, it appeared very appealing to me. Even as just a suicide lead, it does its job good by setting up the stealth rocks that I need. It can also be an excellent person to force a Ninjask to switch earlier than it would like, and when it does switch, the pokemon switching in is usually killed via a combination of stealth rocks and stone edge/earthquake.

Stone edge is on there for the mandatory STAB move, earthquake for stonequake, stealth rock for obvious reasons, and either toxic to cripple a pokemon before it dies, iron defense in order to make him even harder to take down with physical moves, or explosion to go out with a bang.

Zapdos@Focus Sash
Ability: Lightningrod
EV's: 148 SPA, 108 SPD, 252 SPE
Nature: Timid
Thunderbolt
Roost
Volt Switch/Substitute
Hidden Power(Ice)

With Lightningrod via Dream World, Zapdos gets another use beyond mainly stalling. With it, he can switch in with ease against any electric type or pokemon carrying an electric move who would even think to try and KO Suicune, and allow him to become even more powerful at the same time. The EV spread is so that he will be fast enough to outrun most opponents, deal some damage, and still be able to take a hit without fainting.

Thunderbolt is for the STAB, Roost is to heal, Volt Switch is to get the hell out of dodge should something nasty come up, and HP Ice is to complete Boltbeam. Substitute could be used instead of Volt Switch, though, in order to do some subroosting.

Suicune@Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EV's: 148 DEF&SPD, 108SPA, 104SPE
Nature: Calm
Rest
Scald
Reflect/Light Screen/Ice Beam
Shadow Ball/Ice Beam

Ah Suicune, a pretty good poke at taking hits made even better with Water Absorb. It takes the slot that would normally be inhabited by Vaporeon on this team, minus wish passing, and does it quite well. Its EV Spread lets it take either type of hit with style, some special attack to do at least some damage to opponents, and enough speed combined with the nature to outrun at least something. In tandem with Zapdos, it makes a formidable opponent to face.

Rest is, of course, to to try and stay alive longer. Scald is used to try and inflict a burn on physical sweepers while doing moderate STAB boosted damage. Reflect is the primary move in slot 3 to help with my team's defense weakness, although light screen can also be used effectively. Finally, Shadow ball rounds this out by being able to hit other pokemon with water absorb and doing quite a bit of damage against enemy psychic types not expecting it. Ice beam can be used in either of the last slots, though, to be able to hit the common dragon-types for a lot of damage.

Volcarona@Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EV's: 116 Def, 140 SPA, 252 SPE
Quiver Dance
Fiery Dance
Bug Buzz/Morning Sun
U-Turn/Substitute

This fire moth really can pack a punch with 341 SPA without a boosting nature and only 140 EV's invested. Its also fairly fast at 328 SPE with max EV's and a boosting nature. I typically use this guy when in need of a counter to any psychic type sent out against me, if I get a set up opportunity, or if ferrothorn rears its ugly head.

Quiver Dance is an absolute given due to its amazing set up potential. Fiery Dance is used for a good STAB move that also has a high chance to boost my SPA even higher. Bug Buzz and U-Turn are usually used in the third and fourth slots, respectively, but sometimes I run Morning Sun+Substitute to be able to get a free turn occasionally to set up shop with Quiver Dance and to heal if I get lucky.

Espeon@Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EV's: 252 SPA, 4 SPD, 252 SPE
Psychic/Psyshock
Hidden Power(Fighting)
Calm Mind/Grass Knot
Shadow Ball

Espeon with Magic Bounce has been a very useful pokemon to use in order to bounce back any and all potential status ailments my opponent sees fit to try and hit me with. Although that requires at least a little bit of prediction, when I get it right it can greatly annoy my opponent and sometimes even cripple one of the enemy pokes. It can also reflect those pesky stealth rocks back that would otherwise devastate Volcarona.

Psychic is of course for STAB, although Psyshock is viable to be able to actually damage Chansey/Blissey. HP Fighting is used to take down slower Dark types with a super effective attack since many carry pursuit, which unfortunately wrecks Espeon. Calm Mind is to boost up its power and make it able to actually take a hit. Finally, Shadow Ball is to take out other Psychics and hit ghosts hard. Of course, I could also just run a choice specs set. Then, calm mind is just replaced by Grass Knot to hit mainly Swampert and Quagsire for a lot of damage.

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 HP, 88 Def, 168 Sp.Def
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip/Protect

Honestly, does this guy need much description? He walls anything that doesn't have a fire-type move. Leech seed is to heal, spikes to set up entry hazards, gyro ball for main stab, power whip for backup stab, but protect could be used to get a turn of leftovers and/or leech seed recovery.

I am very open to suggestions and alternatives so as to improve this team greatly, since it really does have many, many holes in it. Gigalith is especially replaceable, now that I think about it, so any replacement for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Couple of quick tips

Zapdos I would recommend the physically defensive set or the sub-roost-toxic spread for stall. Your team lacks some defensive pokes and zapdos having some survivability would help, especially with the suicune synergy.

Volcarona is good with the bulky volcarona set, or the all out offense set. You seem to be straddling a hybrid of the two. I would go and choose one set and stick with it.

If you want to keep gigalith, go with custap/explosion over lefties, that way your suicide lead can do some serious damage. However, a better team member IMO would be donphan. He has some serious physical bulk already, a dangerous eq, and the ability to spin, which is a huge means of support for volcarona, because otherwise a missplay with espeon cripples it outright.

I personally don't really like espeon, because it is so fragile. However, if you are going to use one, I would recommend going for survivability and not offense, because right now your espeon is not only frail, but really important to your team, because SR wrecks volcarona and doesn't do anything nice to zapdos.

On ferrothorn, i would say stick with powerwhip for offense, because it is a little more reliable then gyro-ball. Also, thunderwave is a good move for ferrothorn, and your team could use paralysis support, or simply protect, both work. One other thing to think about is a forretress replacement for ferrothorn for spin support.

Ideally, i think your team could switch a good spin supporter like donphan for Gigalith, while still keeping some offensive power. I would scrap espeon for a speedy revenge killer like scarf-genesect. Lastly, I would tweak both zapdos and volcarona. Overall I like the synergy of your team, the zapdos-suicune core is solid, and volcarona is an extremely threatening sweeper when played correctly. GL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)