SM OU First S/M OU team. Need help

Introduction

Hey guys, long time no see. For a lot of reasons I can't explain here, I've recently become interested in the game again and been trying to pick up the new gen 7 meta. And to be honest it has been a lot of fun so far, even though I'm still awful at it.

In this RMT I will try to explain the thought process behind the team's construction, and I would like you all to, if possible, scrutinize it, detect mistakes throughout my reasoning, and then suggest changes that could make the team more efficient.

Quick glance

This is an attempt at creating a balanced team based on type/stat/moveset synergies, that includes counterplay to most prominent threats, as well as possessing multiple win conditions.

Code:
Volcarona (F) @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
In-depth

Overview: Volcarona was the first mon I chose; I wanted to build a team around it after I read how powerful it was. With a Bug/Fire typing that counters a lot of Fairy-, Steel-, Fighting-, Bug- and other types, it can easily set up Quiver Dances against a lot of threats and sweep them afterwards. I opted for Inferno Overdrive in order to simply nuke out certain Pokémon. Fire Blast is my main move against neutral targets, Bug Buzz is chosen for its reliability and its ability to hit Latios/Mew/Tyranitar super effectively, as well as doing decent damage to Garchomp/Zygarde/etc. Hidden Power Rock allows me to beat things like Mantine/Dragonite/Charizard with a few boosts, as well as defeating Heatran that lack Stone Edge or Toxic.

Overview: Tapu Fini was the immediate second member because it does so many things for Volcarona: removing hazards, checking Keldeo and some other Water-types, absorbing status moves (as well giving the rest of the team immunity to them for 5 turns), wearing down walls like Chansey/Heatran with a combination of Taunt/NM, and a lot more.

Overview: Lopunny was my choice for the team's mega slot. I feel like this Pokémon's cost-effectiveness is too good to pass up. It is a good revenge killer, can pressure (or in some cases outright sweep) offensive teams that would otherwise overwhelm my 2 previous Pokémon, and being an overall check to frail or Fighting-weak targets. I like Power-Up Punch best because it enables me to sweep certain teams late game, or to pick off weakened Steel-types, though I'm unsure whether it's the best option for the 4th move-slot.

Overview: Cresselia, with its combination of typing and impressive bulk, is sort of a blanket check to a lot of dangerous threats that would simply 6-0 the team, including SG Magearna, Tapu Lele, Zygarde, and a lot more. Moonlight gives me durability, Thunder Wave neutralizes a lot of Pokémon, leaving them vulnerable to Landorus-T. Ice Beam hits Zygarde, Dragonite, Garchomp, and co. for great damage, and HP Ground weakens Heatran and chips away at Magearna/Jirachi and else.

Overview: Very strong Pokémon currently, and justifiably has insane pick rates in most teams. Here, Landorus-T sets SR, helps me break Stall teams by 2HKOing Chansey/Skarmory/Sableye/etc, checks certain fighters, and a lot more. I picked HP Ice on him because opposing Landorus-T are so common, but it's so weak that I'm testing other options like U-turn, and would like your opinion on the matter.

Overview: Had no idea this Pokémon even existed, but Scarf Nihilego rounds off the team really nicely. It checks both Charizards, Mega Pinsir, opposing Volcaronas, Fairies and a lot else, as well as being a good revenge killer / cleaner overall.

---

Landorus-T: Cresselia and my own Landorus are decent switch-ins, and I have 3 Pokémon with Ice moves.

Magearna: Cresselia can tank everything it can throw, paralyze it and chip it away with HP ground.

Celesteela: Volcarona can OHKO it, and it doesn't get many free turns from the rest of the team (Landorus KOs with SD + EQ, Tapu Taunts, Lop chunks with HJK, Cress paralyzes, Nihilego TBolts)

Dugtrio: poses no threat, unless the Dugtrio user outplays completely (preserving its Sash, double switching into my Volc, switching into Nihi TBolt, etc)

Greninja: I feel like this guy is annoying against every team ever, because of its movepool's unpredictability. Tapu Fini is a decent check, though if I expect it to have Gunk Shot, I'll pressure it with Lopunny/Nihilego. Also, he can't exactly switch-in into anything.

Greninja-Ash: actually easier to handle by using Tapu Fini, since these usually lack Gunk Shot from my experience.

Heatran: Tapu Fini walls it, protects my team from potential Toxic/WoW, and Defogs its SR. Cresselia chunks it with HP ground/paralyzes it, Landorus-T/Lop threaten it.

Mew: haven't seen any Mews deviate from the standard defensive set, which Tapu Fini hard counters. I guess other variants could be annoying though.

Tapu Bulu: Volcarona/Nihilego outspeed and OHKO it, and the only Pokémon it can switch into is Tapu Fini. CB versions can technically 2HKO everything, but it needs a lot of prediction/luck in order to do so.

Volcarona: Nihilego deals with it fairly well, and it can't setup safely against the other members. Don't get Lopunny burned by its Flame Body though.

Zygarde: Cresselia counters it, though she doesn't enjoy eating a Toxic. Landorus-T is a backup check too.

Charizard-Y: it threatens every member and outspeeds/ties with 4/6 of the team, but can be dealt with by using Nihilego properly. Volcarona also challenges it with HP rock.

Clefable: haven't seen many Clefables these days, though Volcarona theoretically should beat it, and it doesn't like switching-in on any of the other members either.

Ferrothorn: Volcarona can OHKO or even set up on it sometimes.

Garchomp: Cresselia walls it and beats it with Ice Beam, Landorus-T / Nihilego can check it with HP ice.

Keldeo: Tapu Fini can tank everything it can throw, protect my team against Scald burns and beat it with Moonblast. Volcarona can actually KO it with a +1 Inferno Overdrive with some prior damage, though I've seen Scarf Stone Edge Keldeo a couple times.

Mega Mawile: dangerous Pokémon because, in theory, it gets a free switch-in against Tapu Fini and sometimes Nihilego and 2HKO/OHKO the entire team. on paper it's much harder for it to do that because it's frail and Landorus-T/Lop soft check it, and Volcarona can force 50/50s against it as a last resort.

Mega Pinsir: it threatens Volcarona/Lopunny with priority, and pretty much kills everyone with Return or Earthquake. but fortunately, it's very weak to SR, can't tank many moves from my team, and Nihilego can revenge kill it.

Tangrowth: setup fodder for Volcarona, and AV Tang (which seems to be the most common variant) is 2HKOed by Lop.

Tapu Koko: Cresselia can switch-in and beat it 1v1, as long as you don't eat repeated U-turns with SR. Nihilego revenge kills it easily, and so does Lopunny if it's weakened.

Tapu Lele: Cresselia tanks Psychic-type attacks with ease, and doesn't get exactly 2HKOed by coverage moves either. Nehiligo can revenge kill it, and so can Lopunny if it's weakened, or Landorus-T if it's paralyzed.

Toxapex: kinda annoying because it walls basically 5/6 members, but Landorus-T can punish him well enough, and I can easily absorb his Toxic Spikes with Nihilego.

Chansey: Tapu Fini can switch-in (but preferrably not into a Seismic Toss) and beat it 1v1, Landorus-T can 2HKO, Lopunny can threaten it.

Mega Heracross: it's hard to switch into it, but it can't switch into anything safely either, besides maybe Landorus-T. also, Volcarona beats it.

Latios: Tapu Fini is a decent soft check, Cresselia is a safer one. with prior damage, Lopunny can revenge kill it with Fake Out + Return as well.

Mega Medicham: haven't seen it much, but Cresselia should wall it.

Pelipper: MFW I found out it'd gotten Drizzle in gen 7. send Tapu Fini on Hydro Pumps, Cresselia/Nihilego on Hurricanes and it's fine.

Mega Sableye: Tapu Fini is a good counter (though avoid switching into Knock Off if possible), Volcarona and Lopunny can beat it, and my only hazard setter 2HKOes it.

Skarmory: Volcarona OHKOes, Landorus-T 2HKOes with Smack Down + EQ, Nihilego hits it hard with Thunderbolt, Tapu Fini Taunts/Defogs.

Tyranitar: Landorus-T/Lopunny threaten it, Volcarona can KO with a +1 Bug Buzz with prior damage, and Tapu Fini should beat it 1v1 while Defogging his SR away.

Mega Tyranitar: same as above, and even if it gets a free DD, Lopunny can still outspeed/OHKO.

Zapdos: it's risky to switch into a Discharge/HP Ice Zapdos, and it can switch into Tapu Fini any day. it's weak to SR and Nihilego though.

Mega Alakazam: well Cresselia can avoid a 2HKO and paralyze it, but it loses to Taunt/Substitute variants. I think a 100% healthy Volcarona can beat it though, and Nihilego/Lopunny Fake Out can pick it off if it's weak enough.

Amoonguss: Volcarona sets up on it, and it doesn't do anything besides sleeping someone and wall Tapu Fini I guess.

Bisharp: Lopunny beats it, and the only way it can ever get a free turn is if Nihilego is locked into Sludge Wave.

Mega Gallade: I'm yet to see one, but between Cresselia/Landorus-T, as well as my revenge killers, I'd assume it's not too hard to beat

Gengar: a good Gengar player can do some serious damage if it switches into Landorus-T or Tapu Fini, but it's still revenge-killable, especially by Lopunny.

Gyarados: Nihilego can revenge kill easily, and it doesn't get many setup opportunities. Mega Gyarados is even easier to deal with by using Tapu Fini.

Kartana: Scarf variants can't touch Cresselia, and SD variants are revenged by Lopunny.

Kingdra: Tapu Fini walls it I think? haven't seen one yet.

Kyurem-B: it doesn't get free turns, and Lopunny/Nihilego can threaten it.

Magnezone: writing this just made me realize I don't even have a Steel-type for it to trap lol.

Marowak-Alola: might be scary if it gets a switch into Cresselia/Tapu Fini but the rest of the team threatens it.

Rotom-W: it doesn't do much other than spam Will-O-Wisp/Pain Split, and my entire team but Cresselia hits it hard.

Mega Scizor: Volcarona beats it, and Landorus-T hits hard with EQ.

Suicune: Tapu Fini beats it with Taunt/NM while resisting Scald and avoiding its burn for 5 turns. Lopunny/Landorus-T can chunk it too.

Mega Swampert: Cresselia can wall him any day if it's not raining. If it is, you'll probably need to juggle between Tapu Fini as well.

Tapu Fini: I usually end up overpowering it, since everyone not named Volcarona or Cresselia deals at least 50% damage to it and it lacks recovery.

Tornadus-T: Nihilego walls/beats it, though be careful not to switch into a Knock Off if you will need the Scarf later. Lopunny can revenge with Fake Out + Return with prior damage.

Weavile: Tapu Fini usually walls it, but it's better to send an evolved Mega Lopunny into its Knock Offs because you really want your Leftovers.

Alakazam: the same as Mega Alakazam, but it's much easier to revenge kill.

Alomomola: Tapu Fini is a decent switch, though Knock Off is annoying. Alomomola is usually seen on stall teams, which you can beat by playing TF + Landorus-T correctly.

Excadrill: Landorus-T beats it, but if it lacks Toxic/SD, you can also use Cresselia and save Landorus-T for another threat.

Hoopa-U: haven't seen this since the ORAS days, but Tapu Fini should beat it I think, and so should my revenge killers.

Jirachi: Landorus-T and Volcarona beat it.

Mega Lopunny: Cresselia walls/paralyzes it, and then it does nothing against the rest of the team.

Mamoswine: kinda annoying because it's the only Ground-type Cresselia/Landorus-T can't wall. Both Volcarona and Lopunny can easily kill it though.

Manectric: Cresselia walls it, Nihilego can revenge kill if weakened enough. Lopunny can duel it as a last resort.

Mantine: Tapu Fini is your safest switch-in to avoid status and beat it with Taunt/NM, but you can also beat it later with Nihilego Thunderbolt, Landorus-T SmackQuake, etc.

Mimikyu: if its Disguise is broken, you can revenge it with Lop/Nihi, and Landorus-T is decent into him.

Reuniclus: all it does is "wall" Lopunny (Return still does like 40%). Landorus-T beats Psyshock versions, Volcarona beats Psychic. And TR Reuni beats itself because it can't switch into anything.

Serperior: Nihilego Sludge Waves, Cresselia can tank a few hits, Volcarona easily beats versions without Glare/HP Rock.

Mega Slowbro: Tapu Fini is your best bet, but Volcarona also has Bug Buzz.

Terrakion: Landorus-T and Lopunny can deal with him.

Thundurus: I'd imagine Cresselia would beat it.

Mega Venusaur: Stealth Rock and overpower it.

Azumarill: BD Azu actually sweeps if it sets up on Cresselia/Volcarona. I guess you could Moonblast it with TF, Fake Out with Lopunny, and attempt to parahax it. Luckily it's quite rare.

Mega Charizard X: Tapu Fini and Landorus-T.

Mega Gardevoir: Lop/Nihi revenge it fairly easily, but don't give free turns to it with TF.

Gastrodon: Tapu Fini, or just overpower it with Landorus/Lop/Volcarona.

Hawlucha: Cresselia walls it.

Latias: it's literally just a worse Latios.

Muk-Alola: Landorus-T and Lopunny beat it easily.

Nidoking: if someone brings this and sees your Cresselia they'll call it a counterteam lol

Nihilego: Cresselia and HP ground it.

Ninetales-Alola: the ony times I've seen this, all it does is use Hypnosis and Aurora Veil... both are completely negated by Tapu Fini (Misty Terrain the Hypnosis, Defog the Aurora Veil).

Porygon-Z: Cresselia can tank a few hits and paralyze it, Lopunny (and sometimes Nihilego/Landorus-T) can revenge it.

Salamence
: Cresselia is the hardest counter ever.

Sharpedo: never seen this but Tapu Fini counters it I think.

Slowbro: Tapu Fini blocks status, can Taunt its CM/recovery, and wear it down with NM. Alternatively, Volcarona kills with Bug Buzz.

Smeargle: TF blocks Spore, can Taunt whatever it can throw and Defog hazards/screens away.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)