First team ever, need some help :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, wow im kinda excited for this haha. Its my first time that i have created, i have watched youtube battles now since the start of hg/ss but never had the guts or anything to go out and try and make a team, with the start of black/white i decided to give it to a go. Sorry for note having pictures, still not sure how to do that >.<.....lol.

Serperior(Grass) - Annoyance, Staller
Nature - Jolly
Move Set - Leaf Blade, Substitute, Toxic, Leech Seed
EV's - 252attack, 252HP, 4speed.
Item - Leftovers
- I decided on Serperior because well first off, i just like the pokemon, but it already has a high speed and fairly decent attack. I think i'd be able to just annoy people with the Toxic/Leech Seed combo or slowly kill off an opponent that I have no counter for.

Carracosta(Water/Rock) - Defensive Wall
Nature - Impish
Move Set - Aqua Jet, Rock Slide, Protect, Crunch
EV's - 252HP, 252 Defense, 4attack
Item: ?
- I chose Carracosta because of its high defense and the fact that it can learn Aqua Jet. Aqua Jet will come in handy if i need to finish off a pokemon. and Protect is also to stall out poke's i cant handle. and Crunch was really just a fill in for an empty space.

Staraptor(Normal/Flying) - Physical Tank
Nature - Adamant
Move Set - Brave Bird, Close Combat, Roost, U-Turn
EV's - 252attack 252speed 4def
Item - Life Orb
- I have always loved Staraptor and the fact that it has just high attack and speed makes it perfect for my physical tank on the team :). and if needed i can scout and U-turn out.

Gliscor(Ground/Flying) - Stallbreaker/Leader
Nature - Jolly
Move Set - Taunt, Earthquake, Roost, Stealth Rock
EV's - 252HP, 252Speed, 4def
- This is my lead, i will either set up stealth rock or use taunt depending on my prediction. Earthquake is there for if i need it to be an attacker and again, roost is there if i need to stall out a problem pokemon.

Volcarona(Fire/Bug) - Sp.Atker
Nature - Timid
Move Set - Flame Dance, Bug Buzz, Will-o-wisp, Whirlwind
EV's - 252Sp.Atk, 252Speed, 4HP
- I thought Volcarona would be a nice twist to the team and also my Sp.Atker of the team. Flame Dance and Bug Buzz are my attacks for it and Will-o-wisp is there to lower a strong physical tanks attack. Whirlwind is there to blow out a problem pokemon or just cause more stealth rock damage on a flying type, or any type for that matter.

Scrafty(Dark/Fighting) - Wall/I don't know
Nature - Sassy
Move Set - Payback, Fakeout, PoisonJab, Repayment
EV's 252sp.Def, 252HP, 4def
-Scarfty.... this was a slot i didn't know how to fill. So i put scrafty because of its dark/fighting combo and its high def and sp.def, i honestly think i could easily replace this pokemon. But maybe its a last resort attacker/wall?

As you can see, i have no clue what items to put. But i thought this was a decent job considering the only set i got from smogon was staraptor and i still tweaked it a bit. Corrective Critism would be nice, don't be to harsh :(.
Also, i know what OU,UU,and NU, stand for but is Standard just OU?

LET'S PICK ON THE N00B!

Lol jk but firstly we have no idea how your team functions. You have to describe your team and pokemon to give us the idea of how it works. Check other threads for examples of this. Secondly, OU, UU, NU and BL mean overused, under used, neverused, and borderline. These are tiers, which are basically a ranking of power for each pokemon. A pokemon may not compete in a tier below because it would be too powerful for that level of play. And yes, OU is standard. Thirdly, to add pictures just copy and paste their sprites. Smogon has all their sprites in the stategy pokedex.

And on a different note, using unorthodox sets means nothing unless they work. Smogon posts these commonly used sets because they work.

You would benefit from being tutored. Aside from the fact that this will get locked as it doesn't fulfill the basic requirements of a RMT, you have a lot to learn regarding basic terminology (Staraptor is not a tank), EV spreads and movesets. Read some other RMTs on this board and read basic FAQs to fully understand how to build a proper team, as there is simply too much to correct.

Good luck

Have you actually tested this team on shoddy battle or pokemon online? It's a requirement that all teams must be tested before they can be rated. If you have no idea what shoddy or PO is, go to this website: http://www.pokemon-online.eu/ and follow the instructions there. Test your team and if it falls flat on its face you might have to go back to square one.

ohh, ya... no i have not tested it at all.. like i said. i have watched wifi battles for like 1yr now but this is my first time ever trying them, or anything close to them

Then this will be locked because you don't really seem to be aware of many of the fundamental flaws your team has as well as inefficient moves. What is everyone's abilties? Why does Volcarona not have Butterfly Dance instead of Whirlwind? Why does Scrafty have Poison Jab at all and neither Bulk Up, Rest or Dragon Dance or a single fighting move? Why do you say a pokemon has good speed, but don't invest in it? Jaroda's great speed is pointless unless it's maxed out, otherwise it isn't very great. Not to mention your comments still don't say why you chose this pokemon above all others in terms of function as well as how they handle the best threats in the game. How do you handle CM Reuniclus? Or Conkeldurr? Or weather teams?

I'm not trying to be mean, but there's a clear lack of experience with the metagame and with teambulding in general. There are too many obvious mistakes to correct that it simply wouldn't be productive to attempt. Simply put, you need to study more. Go read the OU Analyses on every member for this team and see why they recommended the sets they wrote. Also read up on the current metagame and what the biggest threats are. Finally, pick a goal or a single pokemon you want to focus on and build your team around it. Don't just choose pokemon because you like them. You should have a thesis when you build a competitive team.

haunter

Banned deucer.
RMT rules said:
17. It is expected that you know the game to a certain degree of proficiency before posting your team for a rate here. Recently there has been a surge of teams made by players obviously brand new to the competitive scene -- there is little that can be done to help you here I'm afraid. This is the 'rate' my team forum, not 'rebuild my team for me' forum. Best place to go to in that situation would be Battling 101, and the Introduction to Competitive Pokemon article on site. If your team is deemed to show a severe lack of the understanding of the metagame, it will be closed and possibly infracted. This is completely up to the discretion of the mods.
As others have said you seem to lack the basics of competitive Pokemon battling so it's highly suggested that you join the next round of the battling101 program. Also note that you have to test your team for a while before posting it here. Testing your team you will be able to detect most of its flaws by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)