XY OU First team, most likely terrible which is why i'm reaching for advice

I got back to pokémon fairly recently not having played since emerald back in highschool and after completing Y's story i figured i'd give breeding and competitive battles a try. I formed a team of some of my favorite pokemon while trying to be able to cover as many of my bases as possible and made it very agressive because having only played single player until now it's all i know how to play.

You'll notice i used smogon's options for most of these, since i don't know what i'm doing yet i figured i'd just copy and see how it worked out

Greninja@Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot

I often lead with Greninja when i'm unsure of what to lead with, he's done amazing against most things. He seems to get screwed by noivern who's just a tad faster and charizard because i can never OHKO him. I run Dark Pulse insteads of extrasensory because it seems to catch people offguard and i have gardevoir for psychic damage

Charizard@Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Being my favourite pokemon, Charizard was actually the first 6 IV shiny i ever got which really is why he's here. I love the raw power of a drought enhanced fire blast but i actually don't run him that much because i'm always so afraid rock damage. I bring him out when i see steel types i can't otherwise handle. I'm thinking of trading him for a 5 IV adamant speed boost tochic i also have, please let me know if you agree with that.

Gengar@Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

He's my only real means of dealing with tanky slow threats that just tire you out, destiny bond has won me quite a few games like that. Also wondering if i should be running focus blast on both him and charizard

Scizor@Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Defog

Scizor is kind of a mess right now, i planned on having him learn superpower only to realize it was a tutor move from Gen 4, then i figured i'd run Defog so i could help charizard with stealth rock but that seems stupid with a choice band. I was thinking of replacing Defog with some other attack move and then run assault vest on him, let me know how you feel about that.

Garchomp@Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Very solid all around pokemon, i bust him out to deal with the charizards and talonflames but it seems to lose to most other dragons and i'm not sure why. I use Assault Vest because it keeps me from getting destroyed by most ice types

Gardevoir@Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyschock
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

My source for psychic and fairy damage, i just threw the other 2 moves for coverage but she feels weak at the moment and i'm not sure why. I don't have much to add here i'd really just like to know what you think

I've been playing free battles with this team a lot, first it was easy but as i've been winning more i've been getting matched with Japanese people who tend to kick my ass. I'm still pretty new so i'm sure i'm making plenty of stupid assumptions with faulty reasoning so i appreciate your patience.

First post and first thread, if i did anything wrong please let me know. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
If Gengarite is Ubers and therefore banned from OU, then why are you even bothering to put it on an OU team if you cannot use it anyways?

I've edited
I have noticed a lot of flaws in this team, but I cannot give a full rate at the moment. For now, drop Choice Scarf Gardevoir, that was a thing in early XY, but it was still really bad due to how it lacked the speed or raw power (weaker STABs) to pull off a Choice Scarf effectively. I would recommend Choice Scarf Latios with Defog to free up a teamslot in Scizor that would allow you to run Choice Scarf Tyranitar (which traps Latios and Latias with Pursuit for Zard Y), but I need some time to look at this team clearly, so I cannot give you a full rate at the moment.

Get rid of Dragon Pulse on Zard Y, it needs Roost or else it will get worn down really easily. As in, really easily.

Again, once I can think about this a little more clearly, I should be able to give you a full rate.

You might want to stick Iron Head on the Garchomp rather than Dragon Claw, and change the item. Assault Vest does gives a good SpD boost, but isn't like Assault Vest Tyrannitar which also whips up a sandstorm for additional SpD. And anyway, a Play Rough on Huge power Azumarill will take it down anyway.
Since it has Rough Skin, you can give it the Rocky Helmet, and although Garchomp isn't super bulky and this combo works better on Ferrothorn, you can predict switch in Garchomp on physical attackers it can resist or just like, i don't know, Brave Bird Skarmory, Talonflame, Blaziken, and after one hit they will be down to half or less. This is just an idea, up to you really, others might disagree with me :D

I have noticed a lot of flaws in this team, but I cannot give a full rate at the moment. For now, drop Choice Scarf Gardevoir, that was a thing in early XY, but it was still really bad due to how it lacked the speed or raw power (weaker STABs) to pull off a Choice Scarf effectively. I would recommend Choice Scarf Latios with Defog to free up a teamslot in Scizor that would allow you to run Choice Scarf Tyranitar (which traps Latios and Latias with Pursuit for Zard Y), but I need some time to look at this team clearly, so I cannot give you a full rate at the moment.

Get rid of Dragon Pulse on Zard Y, it needs Roost or else it will get worn down really easily. As in, really easily.

Again, once I can think about this a little more clearly, I should be able to give you a full rate.
I'd have to wait until ORAS, i don't own a competitive Latios atm

I'm thinking of dropping Charizard entirely tbh, i think making him modest was a mistake

I do already have competitive larvitars just waiting to be trained, i think my team needs more tanks. is there any way i can squeeze a Azumaril in there? I've been playing against her a lot and she's freakin unstoppable.

I'd have to wait until ORAS, i don't own a competitive Latios atm

I'm thinking of dropping Charizard entirely tbh, i think making him modest was a mistake

I do already have competitive larvitars just waiting to be trained, i think my team needs more tanks. is there any way i can squeeze a Azumaril in there? I've been playing against her a lot and she's freakin unstoppable.
Modest Nature is standard on Zard Y.

Is this an in-game team? You imply as though it is so.

He's so slow though, and not really all that tanky either.

Yes it is, this is a team i plan on taking to rating battles on my pokemon Y.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)