First time team

I have been frequenting smogon.com for awhile now, but I’ve just become a member. I wanted to start things off by getting the opinion on how my team is looks. I have dabbled with various online simulators and that’s where I make the most use out of my team. The main goal though is to determine a solid team to work towards for wi-fi play with the ds. My team can best be described as a double weather team I guess.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam

Comments: This is normally my lead. I like to think of it as kind of an anti-lead, in that if I can predict a taunt I’ll just open with an attack. Otherwise I just start with rain dance and proceed to sweep. I like to go with more bulk so that I can survive a couple of attacks thanks to Kingdra’s decent defenses. Going with straight Special Attack lets me keep his bulk too. As seen next, the rain dance is over written by Ninetales’ drought. So basically Kingdra is only useful at the start of the match. I feel that this is a Pokémon that is a tad out of place but I don’t know what would be a good replacement.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP, 92 SpD, 164 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Flamethrower
-Roar
-Protect
-Substitute

Comments: Ninetales is just my provider of sunlight for the team. Typically he’s used to only provide this support or anti-weather. I go with enough speed to out run a few of the common threats just below him in speed and the rest is placed in bulking it up taking advantage of the leftovers and naturally decent SpD. Flamethrower is to threaten of Ferrothron and Forretress and prevent total taunt bait. Protect is a common theme on this team, and frequently makes it easy to scout and/or stall along with substitute. Ninetales second job is often to phase setup sweepers that think they get a free pass on it.

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 216 HP, 252 SpA, 40 Spe
Nature: Calm
-Solarbeam
-Psychic
-Leech Seed
-Sleep Powder

Comments: Exeggutor is easily my favorite Pokémon, and I’m trying to build the team around it. The idea behind this Exeggutor is for it to make its appearance around mid game once Ninetales has been able to provide it with sun and it’s relatively safe that the weather will remain constant. Built as more of a bulky set, Exeggutor tries to come in on a Pokémon with another status condition and set up leech seeds. Normally this will for a switch which is where sleep powder comes into play. After this, he basically gets to do whatever he pleases. It’s relatively easy to switch him in due to his resistances to the common types Ground, Water, and Electric. Without sun he’s able to still provide status support and has the strong Psychic stab to work with.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Nature: Careful
-Shadow Sneak
-Torment/Taunt
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

Comments: Another favorite, Dusknoir is my special wall. The biggest decision to use him over his pre-evo, Dusclops, was his ability to access leftovers. His defensives are still naturally high so he serves his job well. However I have a few other problems that I’m having difficulty with. First up is the attacking move. Shadow Sneak is my preferred move in that it allows Dusknoir to bypass his laughable speed without relying on the opposite to attack (i.e. Sucker Punch). However, I feel Pursuit could be used as well. Next, I don’t know whether I need to use Pain Split to help heal up. I think a second attacking move could be used here but I don’t know if that’s a good idea. Finally, any thoughts on the choice between Torment and Taunt? Both are very good, but I’m partial to Torment. I feel it’s able to force switches and has uses on sweepers as well.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP, 184 Def, 72 Spe
Nature: Impish
-Toxic
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Protect

Comments: Standard Defensive wall Gliscor. Not much to say here really. He has useful resistances to Ground, Electricity, and status. Very good at stalling and also capable of finishing of the remnants of a team. Overall a high quality Pokémon.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance

Comments: Terrakion is my late game sweeper. Obviously gets a lot of use out of his 2 boosting moves and great STABed attacks. I have trouble getting him onto the field most of the time; however, once he’s there he packs a punch. I’ve seen some Terrakion with air balloon and I didn’t know if actually a viable choice. It doesn’t make much sense to me because it just pops to any attack and then its usefulness is gone.

Well that’s about it. The main problem is my Kingdra. It’s kind of like he’s the lure for big name threats like Salamence and other strong sweepers, but beyond that, he has no place switching back into play after I’ve set up with Ninetales’ Drought. Also I seem to have slight problems with teams that stack lots of entry hazards. Usually in those games I’m forced to rely on Gliscor and Dusknoir for fear of that damage. I feel like I should have a Rapid Spinner on my team but none of them seem all that appealing on a team centered on my weather effects.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this team, it’s my first one I’ve posted. Please leave comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)