Litchi Faye-Ling (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 152 HP/252 Def/104 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

This is the Blissey lead. Blissey is the main special wall and is used to pass wish around in order to keep the team healthy considering not all of the other pokemon on the team have reliable recovery methods. Seismic toss is a good general attack and protect is used to scout the opponent, activate wish, or rack up poison damage.

Jin Kisaragi (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Protect

Swampert is used for phazing, mainly, although it's not a full on defensive wall despite the EVs listed. Earthquake and Ice Beam are used to cover the air and the ground in order to maintain some coverage. Protect is used to scout, or rack up damage. His Water/Ground typing provides a much-needed backup fire resist, and the team's only rock resist.

Iron Tager (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Payback

Forry functions mainly as a utility for the team (See: Blastoise). While setting up spikes, toxic spikes and maintaining rapid spin, Forry is quite well equipped for this position. Payback is a general attack (See: Seismic Toss on Blissey, or Waterfall on Gyara). The EVs here aren't used to withstand fire attacks, rather to maximize effectiveness considering his defense is already high enough along with max HP.

Arakune (Spiritomb) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Will-o-wisp
- Rest
- Pursuit

Spiritomb can be considered the oddball of the team, but that's no reason to take him lightly. Curse is used for last Pokemon situations: to kill off a wall, or to prevent PP stalling. WoW is a useful status. Rest is used here to restore HP, and to also allow Curse to be used as a phazing method in that Rest takes care of the high HP cost of Curse and most switch out of Curse unless it is a last Pokemon situation (in which case gg.) Pursuit is here for pokemon such as Starmie (blocking spin and receiving a kill for it isn't uncommon), Azelf, Gengar, and the like. Note: Latias as well on a smaller scale.

Noel Vermillion (Rotom-h) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP/241 Def/20 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rotom-h is similar to Swampert, but also different in many ways. It's similar in that it isn't strictly a defensive wall due to its slight ability to attack in Thunderbolt and the burn status. It's also still rather defensive with Rest/Sleep Talk, as Swampert can be with Protect and Roar. Rotom-h is used to cover the threats it covers almost perfectly such as Scizor and Metagross. The main difference between Rotom-h and Swampert is how they function defensively. One is used to phaze and scout/rack damage, the other is used more in a tanking respect. Overall the other defensive Pokemon on the team keep Rotom from seeing too much usage and in effect from fainting due to overuse.

Hakumen (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gyarados is the 6th Pokemon of the team, and is used in conjunction with Swampert to carry out the phazing duties. Just like Rotom-h and Spiritomb function similarly and keep each other balanced, so do Gyarados and Swampert. Swampert and Gyarados mix well due to Swampert being able to tank rock and electric damage, two of the more difficult attacks for Gyarados to tank himself. The EVs and nature are used to maximize defensive capability. Waterfall is a general attack. Roar is used for phazing. Rest is to take repeated stealth rock damage and to restore HP in order to stay healthy throughout the battle. Sleep talk is in the last slot to not be a sitting duck during Rest, and to possibly pressure with a neutral priority Roar.

There are 2 spin blockers
There is but one spinner.
All three field hazards are used.
There is one true special wall.
There are 2 phazing Pokemon (three if you count Curse).
There are 8 damaging attacks on the entire team, including Rapid Spin.
There are a total of 4 attack EVs invested in the entire team.
The team is a consistent #1 ranked ladder team.
Only 5.3% of all Gyarados used Roar in August.
An even smaller percentage than that make up the lead Blissey population.
Spiritomb is rarely used in OU, never mind the use of curse on a ghost type competitively.
This team is largely considered to be stall?

Thank you all for your time and for reading. Take care.

Yeah I battled this team before and after looking at it closely it's a tough team to beat. All I can really suggest is, using this ev spread on Rotom 252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Special Defense, it allows you to handle special attacks better. Well good team i like it.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very nice team...my only suggestion is that you change the nature on Forretress from Careful to Sassy and give it 0 Spd EVs. With a slower Rapid Spin in those situation where your Forretress is on against another one, you can try a trick in which you relay entry hazards as the you both spin yours...then you can lay spikes predicting the off rapid spin...then go to a spin blocker...it makes a difference maybe .05% of the time, but seeing as this team is likely going to be ripped off by a bunch of people, you may want to try that should you still ladder with this team.

I've seen you use this team a couple times, and you obviously know what you're doing. I would use a Hippowdon over Swampert (Earthquake/Slack Off/Ice Fang or Stone Edge/Roar) just to ease the pressure on Blissey to pass Wish, but that won't tangibly help your team, it's just a matter of preference.

Congratulations on your team.

Yeah I battled this team before and after looking at it closely it's a tough team to beat. All I can really suggest is, using this ev spread on Rotom 252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Special Defense, it allows you to handle special attacks better. Well good team i like it.
Except he doesn't necessarily need this thanks to Spiritomb being able to take on special based rapid spinners.

+1 DDMence can really hurt this team, MixMence can be a bitch too... I'm sure you know that and try to play carefully around it though.

I know your Spiritomb is an integral part of your team... but I encourage you to try out Taunt on it. This will shorten wars against pokemon such as Snorlax... since now they can no longer rest. And this way you have much less setup room. Taunting also generally helps you out with opposing stall teams, ensuring that you get up your entry hazards first.

Yeah this is obviously a good team, considering how consistently it climbed to #1, but alot of that can be contributed to the user IMO. I have seen him play around MixApe and Co. plenty enough to realize this.

MixApe could really cause some problems though if you don't have TSpikes down. I think you mostly used Gyara to handle Ape, but HP Electric MixApe will kill it. I'm not sure what Nasty Plot MixApe's Grass Knot does to that Gyara, but it seems like he would really 6-0 this team if not for

IPL knows magic.

IIRC, A +2 LO Grass Knot is a OHKO after Stealth Rock, but not without Stealth Rock. If Forretress gets any action (spinning or setting), Infernape won't be sweeping, and I'm betting that IPL plays this team fairly dynamically, meaning that Forry will be getting on the field.

The only thing I'm wondering about is the two users of Will O Wisp. If T-spikes are down by the time either Rotom or Spiritomb enter, you've wasted a moveslot. Now I don't doubt your ability, as you did consistently rank #1, but maybe you could consider switching Will O Wisp for Taunt on Spiritomb? As Yoshi stated, it'll help considerably with other stall teams. I'm all for leaving it on Rotom, because who doesn't love seeing someone send out a phys. sweeper only to get rest/sleep talk/ will o wisped by rotom, but two Will O Wisps and t spikes seems a bit redundant and unnecessary.

Yeah, adding onto what wooooood said, why not put Reflect over WoW on Rotom, since you have Toxic Spike support already. That way, a Toxic'd TTar can't kill your Rotom so easily w/ a CB Pursuit. At least, that's what I use on my teams with Toxic Spikes and Rotom. Otherwise, what can I say, it's an IPL team, it's good.

Both wooooood and Philip7086 are missing that WoW keeps common physical threats immune to Toxic Spikes in check, such as Lucario, Gyarados, Salamence, Scizor, and Metagross. Making an entire team statused will quickly end any chance of stall out and keeps tons of threats at bay. The only Steel that resists WoW is Heatran and Blissey deals with just about every form of it (not sure how well it deals with the new Torment Tran but every other set is basically done in).

Looking over threats there aren't much to bring up. I am quite glad you use Curse as I have for a long time considered it a very viable strategy in competitive but every time I bring it up others immediately sho-sho it. It's one of the best ways to bring down BP teams (nothing is immune to it so Mr. Mime's Soundproof and Ingrain aren't as useful anymore if you want to switch out), especially coupled with Toxic Spikes, so no weakness there.

Plenty of status absorbing... Magnezone is only a problem to Blissey if it Explodes on it, thus not being a problem anymore... Dragon Dance Tar is only an issue if Swampert/Gyarados are hurtin and no TS... Not really any threat that isn't relatively dealt with.

Some Ev's look a little odd to me, especially 241 Defense on Rotom. Why do you run 303 HP on both Rotom and Spiritomb? Is it to compensate for Stealth Rock or for some other reason I don't know? Perhaps to take 1 less damage from SS... an explanation would be nice.

One issue I could see is Roar Suicune. Your only real defense against it is Spiritomb's Curse and with any residual damage a +1 Surf could put you in a bad spot. However, if the situation goes well, Spiritomb switches out and Blissey can easily bring it down. Simply something to watch for that I'm sure you've dealt with.

The problem with all stall teams that do not employ Celebi is that they lack a hard check for Breloom. To cope with this, they usually end up making Gyarados the initial switch-in for Intimidate and either phazing or whatever, and going to the ghost to laugh at Focus Punch, fearing only Seed Bomb or Stone Edge. This works, but it puts even more impetus on Forretress to spin as soon as possible because of Stealth Rock.

I like how you use Spiritomb to cover the weakness to SubPunch Leftovers Gengar that plagues most stall teams.

Both wooooood and Philip7086 are missing that WoW keeps common physical threats immune to Toxic Spikes in check, such as Lucario, Gyarados, Salamence, Scizor, and Metagross. Making an entire team statused will quickly end any chance of stall out and keeps tons of threats at bay. The only Steel that resists WoW is Heatran and Blissey deals with just about every form of it (not sure how well it deals with the new Torment Tran but every other set is basically done in).
Not sure how WoW keeps any of those Pokemon in check more than Reflect does. If anything, Reflect would be preferred due to its inability to miss. This will also prevent accidentally giving something like a Specs or LO Heatran a Flash Fire boost, allowing it to potentially 2HKO Blissey. On top of this, if Toxic Spikes are up, and you try to WoW a switch, you could potentially waste your free turn hitting a freshly poisoned opponent, instead of guaranteeing 50% damage from physical attacks for the next 5 turns. Also, back to my original point, if Tyranitar switches in and takes Toxic Spikes, Rotom is dying to Pursuit. Whereas with Reflect, you can win, bar a crit.

Besides, like wooooood said, two Wisps is somewhat redundant. And if the opponent is able to spin Toxic Spikes away, he might even have a status-removing cleric in there somewhere (as unlikely as that'd seem to be), or one of those aforementioned Pokemon might be holding Lum Berry.

If so Light Clay could be an alternative item since you are using RestTalk anyway, and make the most out of Reflect.

Pretty amazing team ipl. I've seen it in action and you perform almost flawlessly with it, unlike most players that attempt to play "ipl" stall. The only thing I can suggest is putting in Reflect over WoW like the previous people have said, and also a Shed Shell on Forry, since a Magnezone can ruin your Spiking efforts early if it sees Lefties recovery.

btw, did ganon make your avatar on her tablet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)