Gen 6 Rain Dance Team - My 1st Ever RMT Post - Constructive Criticism Welcomed

Hello all. This is my first RMT post. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Politoed
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Timid
EV Spread: 252 Sp / 252 SpA / 6 Def
Item: Damp Rock

- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Protect
- Rain Dance
This Pokémon’s role on this team:

- Thanks to Gen V blessing this forgotten Gen II Pokémon with the DW ability Drizzle he has been the go-to weather initiator for all rain dance teams.
- Despite the nerf to weather in Gen VI, weather provides an amazing edge especially with the emphasis this Generation on slowing the pace, so being able to grab an immediate “free-turn” just for leading/switching in is an amazing asset that only this little guy possesses.
- Thanks to the in-battle switches (more on that later), this guy is able to neuter other weather pokés who try to “rain on my parade.”

Heliolisk
Ability: Dry Skin
EV Spread: 252 SpA / 252 Sp / 6 SpD
Item: Wise Glasses
Moves:

- Volt Switch
- Surf
- U-Turn
- Thunder

- Thanks to this gecko’s immense speed, acts as a perfect VoltTurn partner in chorus with a couple of his teammates.
- Since special attacks have been powered down for the most part across the board, it’s imperative to find attacks that can provide the outright damage output necessary to yield certain KO’s, thus, with rain active Thunder’s accuracy hits 100% and receives both a 10% boost from Wise Glasses and a 50% STAB increase netting an insane 171 power Thunder attack.
- Since switching in-battle will be a major part of keeping my frail team upright, though it seems redundant, both Volt Switch AND U-Turn are present in this set, though Grass Knot has been considered against bulky Thunder resistant pokes like Quagsire and Gastrodon, fact of the matter is this gecko needs to turn the other way when either of these behemoths switches in.

(Thanks to Xous/Xous54 of DeviantART for the sweet art of Greninja)
Greninja
Ability: Protean
EV Spread: 252 Sp / 252 SpA / 6 Atk
Item: Life Orb

- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- U-Turn

- Another speedster, he is the Revenge Killer on this team who sports an Evac move in U-Turn to continue with the VoltTurn momentum.
- Though not physically bulky, doesn’t mean he can’t switch in at all, but does require more prediction than most other pokés out there.
- Thanks to Protean, every attack gets STAB making this guy’s moves 120-125 BP with 30% chance of either being Burn, Frozen of Flinched; add in the LO boosts and nothing short of Special Tanks like Blissey can withstand this Shinobi’s assault.

(Thanks to Kawiku of DeviantART for the sweet art of Goodra)

Goodra
Ability: Hydration
Nature: Bold
EV Spread: 252 HP / 200 Def / 58 SpD
Item: Rocky Helmet

- Infestation
- Rest
- Toxic
- Muddy Water

- The Great Wall of this team, this girl can take a pounding ;-) and still bounce back thanks to her Rest-Hydration shenanigans.
- On top of walling, she can trap unsuspecting prey with her devastating Infestation-Toxic Combo, making her a nice tag in from a U-Turn or Volt Switch due to her ungodly defensive spread.
- Even though Fairy and Steel Types might come in and laugh at her, they are most likely switching into an Infestation which allows her to act as a defensive pivot where she can be switched not only for a counter, but a counter that can retaliate with full ferocity knowing that the opponent, barring a Volt Switch or U-Turn, can’t bail out of that counter’s oncoming assault.

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Calm
EV Spread: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 SpA
Item: Leftovers
Moves:

- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Earthquake
- Roost

- If Goodra’s the Great Wall, then this bad boy is a Wall with its own Engineering crew, thanks to Multiscale and Roost, he won’t be going down anytime soon barring a status infliction.
- Unlike Goodra, with weather up, he has two moves that are 100% accurate 110 BP attacks in Hurricane and Thunder with a 30% chance of Paralysis of Confusion, nothing to scoff at when the Pokémon in question is arguably one of the toughest to revenge kill when at full health.
- Versatile moveset makes it difficult to switch into, even for Steel types like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Aegislash et al as they are either getting EQ or Thundered into submission and making him another candidate for Volt Switch or U-Turn switches.

Lucario -> Mega Lucario
Ability: Steadfast -> Adaptability
Nature: Hasty
EV Spread: 252 Atk / 252 Sp / 6 Def
Item: Lucarionite
Moves:

- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Punch

- Breaks Special Defense Walls like Blissey, Goodra & Sylveon, turning them to putty.
- Lucario provides checks for the list of threats that reared its ugly head as the team was being built; Steel, Fairy, Ice & Grass types.
- When all is set and done, someone needs to close the deal, and Mega Lucario is the Harvey Specter (for any “Suits” fans out there) of this team.

One poke i would like to suggest maybe over goodra is kingdra thanks to swift swim + drizzle being legal Again and the fact that kingdra has often been considered the best swift swim abuser out there and its better typing and defenses will allow for more chances to switch in and wreak havoc

One poke i would like to suggest maybe over goodra is kingdra thanks to swift swim + drizzle being legal Again and the fact that kingdra has often been considered the best swift swim abuser out there and its better typing and defenses will allow for more chances to switch in and wreak havoc
Thanks for the suggestion... I noticed that Swift Swim Kingdra is now legal in the Rain this Gen, however, enticing as that sounds, I felt that, even with a Specially Defensive Dragonite, that this team needs one more sponge to absorb hits... specifically Special Defense.

Despite the power curb acrosss the board to alot of the go to special attacks in the game, people are still going to use them. Thus why I think Goodra's 90/70/150 defenses are not only superior to Kingdra's 75/95/95 slash line... it is desperately needed to offset this team's fraility while also providing "trap and stat" and recovery capabilities.

Please let me know if there's something I overlooked.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Hello.

Thank you for the request,as you know I'm here to rate your team so here goes:As you mentioned U-Turn and Volt Switch are really redundant together so I suggest you try out Grass Knot/Focus Miss Blast over U-Turn so you can check the likes of Ferrothorn which can be somewhat problematic to your team.

I recommend you run a Swords Dance Mega Lucario and Crunch over Ice Punch and Poison Jab as your current set is walled by Aegislash and Jellicent and with Crunch you can check Aegislash and Jellicent really well.And you don't really need Ice Punch since I think your team doesn't really have much issues vs Gliscor and Landorus as Politoed and Heliolisk knock them out with their water type moves.

Speaking of Heliolisk I think you should use Life Orb over Zoom Lens as Heliolisk isn't exactly super powerful but Life Orb has amazing synergy with Dry Skin as you recover the HP you lose with Life Orb which can help your Heliolisk live much longer which is nice.

I find Dragonite is kind of the weak link on this team as Special Dragonite is underwhelming for my taste.I recommend you try out Ferrothorn over Dragonite as I also see your team lacks Stealth Rock support which can make it not as powerful but with Ferrothorn it can also have great synergy with Politoed as Ferro can wall those annoying Sleep Powder users such as Mega-Venusaur and he takes on the ever so annoying Whimsicott.

If you think your team lacks Special Defense I think you should use Leftovers on Goodra over Rocky Helmet as Goodra has a whopping base 140 SDef I think (I'm not sure if 140 is correct) it can take on many special attackers and you have rest to shake off the damage you take from stuff like Greninjas.

Ferrothorn set:
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's : 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
IV: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball

Hello.

Thank you for the request,as you know I'm here to rate your team so here goes:As you mentioned U-Turn and Volt Switch are really redundant together so I suggest you try out Grass Knot/Focus Miss Blast over U-Turn so you can check the likes of Ferrothorn which can be somewhat problematic to your team.

I recommend you run a Swords Dance Mega Lucario and Crunch over Ice Punch and Poison Jab as your current set is walled by Aegislash and Jellicent and with Crunch you can check Aegislash and Jellicent really well.And you don't really need Ice Punch since I think your team doesn't really have much issues vs Gliscor and Landorus as Politoed and Heliolisk knock them out with their water type moves.

Speaking of Heliolisk I think you should use Life Orb over Zoom Lens as Heliolisk isn't exactly super powerful but Life Orb has amazing synergy with Dry Skin as you recover the HP you lose with Life Orb which can help your Heliolisk live much longer which is nice.

I find Dragonite is kind of the weak link on this team as Special Dragonite is underwhelming for my taste.I recommend you try out Ferrothorn over Dragonite as I also see your team lacks Stealth Rock support which can make it not as powerful but with Ferrothorn it can also have great synergy with Politoed as Ferro can wall those annoying Sleep Powder users such as Mega-Venusaur and he takes on the ever so annoying Whimsicott.

If you think your team lacks Special Defense I think you should use Leftovers on Goodra over Rocky Helmet as Goodra has a whopping base 140 SDef I think (I'm not sure if 140 is correct) it can take on many special attackers and you have rest to shake off the damage you take from stuff like Greninjas.

Ferrothorn set:
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's : 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
IV: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
If I drop Dragonite for Ferrothorn, which is a very strong possibility, then I would definitely need to change Lucario's moveset. Also, no Dragonite means that Lefties would be all Goodra's so that would be a definite as well.

Also, I agree with Focus Blast on Heliolisk (though I swear I'm like 11/20 on those blasts but alas) but you mentioned Zoom Lens? He doesn't have Zoom Lens, he has Wise Glasses. Let me know if that changes your thought process as currently Greninja is holding LO.

If I drop Dragonite for Ferrothorn, which is a very strong possibility, then I would definitely need to change Lucario's moveset. Also, no Dragonite means that Lefties would be all Goodra's so that would be a definite as well.

Also, I agree with Focus Blast on Heliolisk (though I swear I'm like 11/20 on those blasts but alas) but you mentioned Zoom Lens? He doesn't have Zoom Lens, he has Wise Glasses. Let me know if that changes your thought process as currently Greninja is holding LO.
Sorry I misread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)