Other [Gen 7 CAP] Momentum Mayhem (ft. HP Ground Torn-T)

Momentum Mayhem

Importable

Hi all, this is RSQ and here is my second RMT (my last one was like a year ago). This time I'm showing a bulky offense team centered around grabbing momentum for the breakers, Tornadus-T and Heatran. It features multiple U-turn pivots (Colossoil, Kitsunoh, and Torn-T) as well as bulky pivots (Colossoil again, Jumbao, and Tapu Fini). Wish from Jumbao keeps everybody healthy meaning it has defensive stay as well. I just wanted to show you a team I've had fun building and using (although I have been a little secretive about it due to CAPTT), and I think you will enjoy it too.

Without further ado, here it is.

Bird with Things (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn
The Torn-T set is Life Orb wallbreaker/lure, with HP Ground as a tech to snag Krilowatt, Mega Crucibelle, Heatran, and electric types in general. The great thing about this is that with the abundance of U-turn on the team, its not hard to chip enemies into range of being OHKOed by HP Ground. For example, base Crucibelle is outright OHKOed by the move, and Mega Crucibelle only needs 28% off its max HP to be OHKOed, which can be easily accomplished by just spamming U-turn till it is in range. Krilowatt takes roughly 43-50%, Heatran about 3/4 of its HP, and Cyclohm about half. Heat Wave is to nail Ferrothorn so it can't Gyro Ball on you and it also hits Celesteela, and Hurricane just hits hard. This set often cleans games for me and when they load up CruciKrill and think Torn-T is bait for momentum, HP Ground gives them a nice surprise.
The nickname is a tribute to Rat With Wings since I used this team versus him in a tour
and wanted to have a name that followed the style of his username.

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Crucibelle: 354-416 (100 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Crucibelle-Mega: 255-302 (72 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Krilowatt: 195-231 (43.9 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 205-242 (48.8 - 57.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 205-242 (51.6 - 60.9%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts / Rebound
EVs: 204 Atk / 160 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn / Sucker Punch / Pursuit
- Rapid Spin
I have AV Colossoil next because it beats non-specs Tapu Koko and pressures a lot of electrics that might want to come in on Torn-T. It also provides hazard removal and the main draw for me was that it could lure Tomohawk to come in for a free U-Turn to Torn-T, never letting up the offensive pressure. However, that moveslot could be taken up by Sucker Punch or Pursuit if you want those instead. Assault Vest allows me to use Colossoil a bit more freely as opposed to something like Flame Orb, since it can tank Ice Beams from Krilowatt and stray HP Ices from Koko with relative ease (which allows me to use it for a pivot, a common theme you'll probably see throughout this team). The Colossoil spread is taken from snake_rattler's QC check on Colossoil in C&C analyses, and the speed allows it to outspeed Adamant Necturna and hit it before it can Power Whip back (with Necturna being so big in the meta right now, you can't be too safe versus it). The spD EVs allow it to never be 3HKOed by Specs Koko's HP Ice, and the rest of the EVs is dumped into attack. However, being so fast means you can't outslow Zapdos, so you're no longer able to Earthquake on its Roosts. You could probably toy around with the speed there if you want to do this. I have Guts here to fully counter Toxapex and punish bulky mons from trying to status my team, but honestly wth Tapu Fini on my team, it is also reasonable to just run Rebound here instead to punish Leech Seeds from Celesteela/Ferrothorn and rocks from Heatran/Ferrothorn/Pyroak.

Jumbao @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 100 SpD / 48 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain / HP Ground / Focus Blast
- Shore Up
- Wish
Next up I added Jumbao because it was just a great counter to a lot of things in the CAP meta, like non-Z Lando-T, Greninja, Krilowatt, Arghonaut, Gastrodon, Zygarde. and more. It stomachs any water type attacks headed towards my Colossoil and counters the scary ground types currently in the meta. It also provides Wish support to my Colossoil which is very nice, and to Tapu Fini, Kitsunoh, and Heatran, all mons that appreciate the healing. Tapu Fini in particular values Wish support since its role is to beat Volkraken, which can chip it down. I put Giga Drain on Jumbao to hit Gastrodon and pressure Krilowatt a bit more, but honestly, Tapu Fini and Colossoil should handle Gastrodon no problem, so you could change that moveslot if needed to something like HP Ground, Flame Burst, or Focus Blast. The speed EVs are to outspeed Mega Swampert always (Trace ensures it copies the speed boost from Swift Swim), and the spD and defense EVs just make it a fat mon that beats Krilowatt, Specs Koko, take on Scarf Lele, and a lot of other stuff that I mentioned above. Trace is there to abuse abilities from the likes of Krilowatt, Revenankh, Heatran, Mega Swampert, Toxapex, Tomohawk, etc.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Knock Off
Speaking of Tapu Fini, I added that next because I was feeling a little feisty and wanted to try something different. At first I thought I was probably going to change the mon to something else later, but it actually ended up serving a pretty good role on my team. It offers a way to beat fat teams through Nature's Madness + Taunt, prevents any Toxic shenanigans from Arghonaut and Gastrodon, and it beats Volkraken and Syclant, both of which otherwise would pose a problem. Misty Surge may seem counterintuitive with Colossoil's Guts, but Guts is mainly there for Toxapex so it comes in for free without having to worry about Scald. You could probably argue that going Fini and then Colossoil would easily let Colo become Rebound instead, and I guess thats a valid argument so you can change if needed. The speed EVs are to outspeed Adamant Mega Swampert outside of rain and then I dumped the rest into defense and HP. I chose this bulkier spread over max speed timid because it just lives much more stuff with the extra EVs, which is worth the tradeoff in Taunting some faster mons in my opinion. Although this is just my personal preference, and max speed timid definitely can be used if you want. Knock Off was honestly just a filler move on Fini since I already have Colossoil for hazard removal, but it is nice to remove the item from Volkraken and remove items from Pokemon in general.

Kitsunoh @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk / Iron Fist
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Strike
- Earthquake / Meteor Mash
- U-turn
- Trick
Next up I added Scarf Kitsunoh since Shell Smash Necturna is big, and I don't want to get 6-0ed by its Ghostium Z set. Scarf Kit outspeeds +2 Adamant Necturna and ohkos with Shadow Strike at -2 defenses (in case that wasn't clear), and also provides me with a scarf mon to outspeed other scarfers/Mega Zam. It's speed tier + Scarf is very valuable in a hyperfast metagame and Steel/Ghost typing + U-Turn is very nice. It can also spinblock Tomohawk easily and use that mon as basically a pawn in whatever plays you want next. While there are times its damage output is very lackluster, there are times when its very rewarding to use because there aren't too many good Ghost resists, plus you can just U-turn out of the things that wall, or use Trick and cripple them for the game (and usually grab Lefties on the way, which makes its Ghost/Steel typing even better). Scarf Kit also helps this team pivot in on Mega Crucibelle and Tapu Lele and threaten them out. I have Earthquake to nail Heatran and hit electrics like Krilowatt and Tapu Koko harder, although Meteor Mash could be used to have a way to beat Jumbao and Clefable without relying on Shadow Strike drops. The 36 spD EVs make sure Kitsunoh can come in on Scarf Lele twice. Frisk is used because I don't have Meteor Mash, so I could scout items like Z crystals from my opponent, allowing me to know their set, but if you do choose to use Meteor Mash, change the ability to Iron Fist, so it does more damage.

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Finally onto the last member, Heatran. Heatran is there to beat most Torn-T and cannot be Knocked Off because of the Z-crystal on this set, which is a nice bonus. Its the rocker on this team and is my option to take fairy attacks from Jumbao, Lele and Clef, and hit back hard. I have Taunt on this set to beat Toxapex and prevent mons like Pyroak from healing up (also because if I had Toxic, it wouldn't work that well with Misty Terrain). I originally had Groundium Z to fully beat Toxapex, but in test runs, it never really became that useful, so I changed it to Firium Z so as to retain that nuke and put in more work versus stuff like LandoT. It also makes sure your Magma Storm kill isn't cheesed by a miss. EVs are standard, max max just to be fast as possible and hit hard as possible.​

As you can see, this team is pretty customizable in terms of EVs and moves, which is something I like, because it gives multiple people multiple options to pick from that suit their own playing style and preferences.​

The Team

Importable

Alternative version with Arghonaut (see comment below) credit Wenderz

Importable

Threats:
Zapdos - This mon gives me trouble, especially if it can Static, since I have to be careful of clicking the most spammable move on my team, U-Turn. It can wall basically 4/6 of my mons (Torn-T, Colossoil, Fini, Kitsunoh - given that it hasn't clicked Trick).
1538346398717.png
Cawmodore - This one is a bit tough to play around, since Colossoil, Tapu Fini, and Jumbao, and Kitsunoh locked into Earthquake definitely gives it opportunities to Belly Drum. I would definitely watch out for this mon on team preview. Tornadus-T can live a +6 Bullet Punch and Heat Wave back, but only if Stealth Rocks aren’t up. Kitsunoh can do 43-50%-ish with Shadow Strike if you get it into that range, but it’s definitely gonna be a toughie to play around. You can use the version with Unaware Arghonaut over Fini to emergency phaze out Cawmodore if you have too much trouble with it, but it’s not too common in tour play anyways.
Mega-Crucibelle - Mega Crucibelle can come in on both Jumbao and Tapu Fini and threaten to spam Head Smashes everywhere if you are not playing with the version with Arghonaut. Kitsunoh can only take one Head Smash and Colossoil gets U-turned on. However, you can play around it with proper predictions, and Kitsunoh does threaten Earthquake and Torn-T can revenge kill with HP Ground if it gets into 72% HP range.
Tornadus-Therian - If this is running the offensive set and carries a lure for Heatran, it won't be particularly fun to see your counter get blown away. However, if you manage to scout something like HP Ground or Focus Blast on opposing Torn-T, you can probably play around it with Fini/Kitsunoh, but to some difficulty.
Volkraken - If you do not play smart versus Volkraken and get Fini low to the point where you have to predict the Fire Blast/Hydro Pump then you probably are in trouble. Generally though, this is less dangerous then the above two mons because you do have Fini + Jumbao + Heatran to play around it. However, if you have the version with Arghonaut this should be loads easier to deal with.
Kyurem-B - KyuB basically just uses coverage moves for everything on this team, but if you run Meteor Mash on Kitsunoh you can rk it, and Tapu Fini lives one Fusion Bolt from full. You can also Hurricane the KyuB if you got it chipped enough. Not an autoloss matchup, but puts pressure on the team.

Replays:
Mxmts vs Dj Breloomati CAPTT Week 3
me vs RWW If I didn't made the Heatran play at the end and followed my instincts, it probably would have been a win, but I think this showcases how to pressure Zapdos with this team.
me vs Mythlore LO Torn-T is a threat
me vs PurpleBartSimpson Kitsunoh used effectively to cripple opposing team for Jumbao to clean up
me vs violetfaith U-Turn nature of the team showcased here

Ahhhh crap I forgot shoutouts no one saw this
All my friends on the Blazing Pyroaks, Heaven Jay, Marjane, Mx, Airwind, Wenderz, Plas, infamy, Pipotchi, Pitmore, it’s been a fun time with you all, and even though we didn’t win, it’s been amazing testing and playing with ya & been a really fun ride during CAPTT, def hope we can be on the same team next year if we’re all still on PS! then. :pip_goat:
My good friends SHSP, Jho, Snorlax in the way, Drapionswing for always keeping me on my feet in the meta and joking around with. It’s always interesting to show you whatever wild set I’ve been a new team around (my latest is gonna be Scolipede).
snake_rattler for the TR teams that always smash me on the ladder, but also a great guy in general
Rat With Wings i still remember playing your rain team in the gen6 throwback forum tour like a year ago, god those were the hardest matches I probably played, and they definitely earned respect from me for your battling skills. A gen later and you’re still terrorizing the meta, now with that spD pajantom :P. Great guy who it’s always been fun to have a chat with
Hys GL Volkner friends of old

Last edited:
HI RSQ. Your RMT looks very cool, congratulations.

I'll try to identify your weaknesses and potentially something to answer to them:

Crucibelle-Mega can be extremely tough to deal with, since non-defensive Kitsunoh is a one-time switch in in most case (252 Atk Crucibelle-Mega Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kitsunoh: 144-169 (47.8 - 56.1%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO ) and Torna-T doesn't OHKO from full. It can switch on Fini and non HP Ground Jumbao without much trouble.

Cawmodore, although not as common as it was in ORAS, still remains something that one shouldn't ignore when teambuilding due to the possibility of being swept swiftly, much like Necturna. Torna-T is OHKOed by +6 BP after SR and you're best option against it is to trick with Kitsunoh in order to lock it on Acrobatics, then RK it with Torna-T (Heatran takes too much from that even at +6). It will get many opportunities between Colo, Bao, Fini and locked Kit.

Naviathan easily stomach EQ from Kit (assuming you're carrying it) and runs through the rest of the team at +1, you'll have to switch smartly until the burn wears it down. It won't set-up as easily as the one above though.

Finally, watch out for fast and dangerous Mons like regular Greninja, Stratagem, Hawlucha, Kartana, Pajantom, Zard-Y and Pinsir. All of them can pressure you and grab muiltiple kill if they get the right coverage or if you don't make careful switch-in, as you'll need either Torna-T or Kit to RK most of them but if they manage to come back, they will likely hurt you.

I've already said this on Discord, but in my opinion there's no much reason to use Fini over Arghonaut, (even though it's not as original) especially if you're not running Defog and you already pack Guts Colo and Heatran so statues shouldn't be much of an issue, even though these two aren't really suited when it comes to deal with Toxic Argho and Zygarde. Physical Def Argho would allow you to be safer against Cruci, Navi and even Cawmodore if you're using Circle Throw, as well as being better against Volk due to Recover. You'll be even weaker to Torna-T and SubToxic Zyg will cause you more trouble but it's still manageable and I think the added benefits make the trade worthy.

Playing and team-testing in this CAPTT alongside you annd the rest of the Blazing Pyroaks was an enjoyable experience. I look forward redoing this in 2019 and hopefully win the tournament.

Once again, great team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)