Gen V Initial NU Metagame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How is Articuno here?

Props: Good stats, Reliable recovery, great offensive typing, and and good coverage.

Slops: Bad defensive typing and a SR weakness.

I have yet to see SR in any of my battles in this tier.
So you've played what, like... 3 battles? There have been about ~15 of my 100something battles with my leaderboard team when my opponent DOESN'T find a way to set up SR.

Also Articuno is terrible since there are so many things that work better in Hail/in general and it is very dependent on spinning, since even though it gets Roost that is still a free turn I can switch in Magmortar or Sawk or anything faster with a Rock-type move.

scolipede can be really nice. he has nice coverage with eq and megahorn and flying guys force him out anyways. the spikes set really sucks, though. he's waaay too frail to do that.

with proper hazard support he can clean up the opposing team really nicely. double spikes and stealth rock and I've found that it can be pretty much gg more than half the time late game.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just like to say that blizz spam is amazing here, especially rotom-F and glaceon. Most teams not packing lanturn will lose a poke to rotom-F with his amazing dual stabs, and scarf glaceon is fantastic, NP jynx is also good. There are only a few extremely well made teams that can stand up to the constant assault of repeated high power blizzards, especially with hazards support. I'm not even running a spinner as the sheer offensive nature of the team means that by setting up SR you are allowing rotom to set up a sub on you, and a couple of times that has meant game straight away. This is one reason why I don't like hazards smeargle, as they all seem to spore snover, letting me bring rotom in immediately as they SR, and then sub as they either switch or spike, and proceed to hit extremely hard safely behind my doll (I'm using sub split btw). I am not seeing to many Hard counters for it at the moment, as the gorebyss that I am using packs hp grass for lanturn, deals ~75 at +2 (although I am not sure which spread he was running), and I am even considering a electric resist berry (wacan?) to help lure him in and counter him. Hail is amazing.

Regice is better than Articuno in almost every way. It doesn't have as good recovery, but rest and the eventual ice body when released are good enough for something with 80/100/200 defenses. It's even better offensively, with access to boltbeam and calm mind.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been meaning to try hail. Basically all you need is something that beats scarf Sawk, Slowking, and Lanturn, and it's GG for most teams. At this point in time it looks like Snover might be moving up to RU so time to try it, at least. XD

Also, just saying, I'm gonna miss Swellow if it jumps up to RU. That thing is by far the best end-game cleaner I've ever played with, 2hkoing Magnetons and Klinklangs after hazards and such. :(((

shnen

שוני
I've been meaning to try hail. Basically all you need is something that beats scarf Sawk, Slowking, and Lanturn, and it's GG for most teams. At this point in time it looks like Snover might be moving up to RU so time to try it, at least. XD

Also, just saying, I'm gonna miss Swellow if it jumps up to RU. That thing is by far the best end-game cleaner I've ever played with, 2hkoing Magnetons and Klinklangs after hazards and such. :(((
Imo frillish is the best glue for hail teams beating klinklang and Sawk (with a physically defensive spread) as well as access to toxic to cripple the bulky waters which trouble hail,although lanturn will likely being carrying heal bell, so that is a short term check at best, unless you run enough speed to beat min lanturn and taunt as well. I may try out scald taunt recover toxic +speed frillish actually, depending onhow much speed is required

Edit: meh nevermind he needs to run close to max speed

So with the new usage stats, there's a chance that Crawdaunt might drop down. DD + Adaptability Crawdaunt is gonna be strong, but there's always going to be Scarf Sawk/Scarf Pinsir to handle it. How do you guys think it's going to fare in the metagame?

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Imo frillish is the best glue for hail teams beating klinklang and Sawk (with a physically defensive spread) as well as access to toxic to cripple the bulky waters which trouble hail,although lanturn will likely being carrying heal bell, so that is a short term check at best, unless you run enough speed to beat min lanturn and taunt as well. I may try out scald taunt recover toxic +speed frillish actually, depending onhow much speed is required

Edit: meh nevermind he needs to run close to max speed
Lanturn is also one of those mons that I really never have any idea how much speed they run - I've fought some fast ones and some that run absolutely no speed and it's kinda hard to guess how fast it's going to be. It's probably not going to be worth it to run very much speed on Frillish at all, I'd think - having bulk would be better.

Adaptability Crawdaunt will definitely be very good, more or less wrecking the tier with two really solid STABs. I can imagine a CB set to be similar to Specs Exeggutor in the fact that it only has a couple "counters" at best and those require some hefty prediction. The best real answer to Crawdaunt right now would probably be Tangela, but Crawdaunt still has access to like Ice Beam to wear that down... I think it'll be a cool addition though I wish we were to have more, considering what we'd lose to RU. :(

breh

強いだね
now that I think of it, hail articuno could be fun.

there's nothing better than being able to stall out all of your opponent's stone edges, close combats, etc. with roost/ice beam/protect/sub. anybody who played DPP UU knows that SubRoost Moltres was a pain in the ass.

Hail Articuno is best used as a Toxic staller with Sky Drop. Toxic + Hail damage + stalling base 60 BP STAB move + Snow Cloak (if/ when it's released)= ragequit.

Tested it earlier this gen and it is seriously that good.

Late to the party, but Harvest Eggy is by no means a gimmick. I've run ChestoRest Eggy for a fairly long time now (Lum Berry could be better, dunno) and it's amazing. It doesn't care about the 50% chance, as by the time you need to rest, you'll have your berry back. I'm running max physical bulk so that it can take on common physical attackers (Sawk!) as well as Giga Drain, Psyshock and HP Fire. I reiterate, it's a really, really great mon and by no means a gimmick because it just WORKS.

Now SubSeed Sitrus I'm not a fan of (haven't tried it, though, so this is all going by my impressions), seeing as you have to be below 50% basically all the time AND waste a moveslot on Protect. If you have something like Braviary or Swellow, you can just U-turn the sub and go to your attacker of choice. I'm not saying that it's worthless, in fact, it's hugely annoying, but I'd probably prefer the Rest set.

BTW, Flareon owns. Try it. Fire Fang (yes!)/WoW/wish/protect with max/max careful is my set. Really bulky and really fun.

shnen

שוני
Definitely supporting the mention of flareon, used him on a stall team as a cleric and wish passer, with heal bell over WoW as I run lava plume over fire fang(Jellicent and Heatran do it!) He's really specially bulky and is a great utility mon, it's just his typing that kinda lets him down.

Does anyone use dragonair? it has good bulk with eviolite, shed skin to shrug off status and rest for somewhat reliable recovery, has access to priority in extremespeed, and if the few steels are eliminated, he can sweep with ddance and outrage.

Definitely supporting the mention of flareon, used him on a stall team as a cleric and wish passer, with heal bell over WoW as I run lava plume over fire fang(Jellicent and Heatran do it!) He's really specially bulky and is a great utility mon, it's just his typing that kinda lets him down.
Yeah, that's the standard set, but I really despise that it's just sitting there and doing nothing to the opponent (actually, I haven't tried it, but I used Leafeon in RU and it had the same problem), so I scrapped Heal Bell for WoW to threaten physical attackers on the switch-in and stuff. And Fire Fang, as dumb as it may sound, just hits certain targets harder (coughRoseliacough). I dunno, Lava Plume just seems so weak to me. :P

On the same note, Leafeon of course is a monster as well, provided you give it a way to fight back (Roar, Yawn, Synthesis instead of WishProtect to free up a moveslot etc.). Those two actually share really decent synergy. Both are unfortunately hovering just below the (imaginary) 3.41% cutoff.

It definitely got the mention as glass cannon, but I still think that it could make an amazing offensive presence when it's counters are taken out. Scarf ramp in particular.

With a blistering attack stat of 165, it can KO pretty much anything with it's quite nice movepool. Unfortunately, it's 58 base speed isn't so great. Good thing that there's choice scarf to use!

If you give ramp a jolly nature, max speed, and a scarf, it will have a grand total of 354 speed in battle. That is higher than a max speed swellow's speed, which maxes out at 349 without a speed boosting nature. Combine that with it's amazing attack, and you have one amazing early game sweeper.

jake

underdog of the year
I was playing around with Leafeon a while back and I really liked it. It set up pretty easily on the plethora of Rock/Ground-types here, as well as stuff like bulky Slowking trying to catch you with Scald (but that's what Heal Bell is for, right?). After an SD, Leaf Blade actually 2HKO'd Klinklang after some slight prior damage which was really cool. I ran max attack and enough to outpace Rotom-A and then dumped the rest in bulk and it worked wonders.

Yea, Leafeon is amazing honestly. It has a base 90 speed which is really good for the tier, and a beastly base 130 Def bundled together with an attack of 110. Swords Dance, Baton Pass, Leaf Blade, X-scissor is my favorite set because whatever you can't handle, you can baton pass an SD to something.

Leafeon has base 95 speed and base 110 attack, which makes me really sad as it outshadows Leavanny, seeing as it can do the exact same things with more bulk, speed, and power.

Anyone tried using Floatzel? Both his CB and SS sweeper sets are great. He's extremely fast (can reach up to 722 in rain, but who really needs to go that fast?), he has priority in the form of Aqua Jet, has great coverage with moves like Crunch, Brick Break, Ice Fang/Punch, and Waterfall/Aqua Tail, all of which do respectable damage coming off of an Atk stat of 309(neutral nature, 252 evs) to 509(positive nature, 252 evs, choice band).

jake

underdog of the year
Anyone tried using Floatzel? Both his CB and SS sweeper sets are great. He's extremely fast (can reach up to 722 in rain, but who really needs to go that fast?), he has priority in the form of Aqua Jet, has great coverage with moves like Crunch, Brick Break, Ice Fang/Punch, and Waterfall/Aqua Tail, all of which do respectable damage coming off of an Atk stat of 309(neutral nature, 252 evs) to 509(positive nature, 252 evs, choice band).
Yeah, I played around with him in a couple of my earlier teams. He outpaces Scolipede which is cool (meaning you can actually shave off a couple of speed evs and drop them into bulk because there's nothing between the two) and hits pretty hard with STAB Waterfall. CB has been my favorite set and you can even mess around with Switcheroo if you like stealing Eviolites from Tangela.

Actually i'm using TR HO team NU with Smeargle suicide lead with Spore, SR, Spikes and Filler. Then Duosin, Emboar and Slowking mainly is the core offensive. I use Misdreavus eviolite (not rapid spin) and is bulk for TR.

Peak #18 actually with a few battles.

shnen

שוני
Normal HO is also amazing, dual screen mesprit as mini deoxys s, and then a plethora of frail set up sweepers (rampardos, combusken, charge beam kadabra, absol, etc) and of course the mighty gorebyss. Seriously, its pretty viable guys.

Yeah, I played around with him in a couple of my earlier teams. He outpaces Scolipede which is cool (meaning you can actually shave off a couple of speed evs and drop them into bulk because there's nothing between the two) and hits pretty hard with STAB Waterfall. CB has been my favorite set and you can even mess around with Switcheroo if you like stealing Eviolites from Tangela.

Sticking bulk in Floatzel is pointless, because he has such bad bulk as it is. It's better to put the EV's into either speed to help outpace/speedtie with scarfers, or other Floatzel.

Floatzel also needs 252 Speed to outspeed all Base 100's by 1 point. Which is quite important when you realise Dodrio and Raichu are in that speed teir, and both can be OHKO'ed by a CB set's Waterfall, and both are threats to Floatzel.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've seen about 3 Raichu and zero Dodrio (and about 3 Slaking too, which is also base 100), so no the speed isn't needed unless you want to tie with Cinccino.

tennisace is correct. No one uses Dodrio and Raichu (Swellow is much better than Dodrio, and Rotom-F is better than Raichu), and only Persian and Sneasel (both are pretty rare) tie with it, so max speed isn't mandatory. A little bulk EV's go a long way, so don't underestimate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)