Gen V RMT - Bump, Set, Sweep

This team was meant to do just as the title states: Bump (As in OHKO their lead), Set (As in set up using any of my sweepers), and Sweep (Pretty self explanatory). Hope you like the team, and please help me improve it in any way possible.

Team Building Process

I really just wanted to make an all Gen V team to piss off my friends so I did some research and found that this guy was an amazing lead.

I then added Nattorei because I really liked him as a wall on my previous teams. He was good at setting up spikes, and I like that he could even wall a dragon with 2 DDs (sometimes).

While I was putting in a special wall, I thought that I might as well put in a physical wall, and Desukan seemed to be a good candidate. He could Will-o-Wisp to cripple, and wall pretty well with rest.

I had been swept by a swords dancing Doryuuzu so many times that I just needed one on my team. He was bulky enough to get one or 2 SDs up, and then just destroy with EQ.

While I was putting in a physical sweeper, I might as well have put in a special sweeper. Urugamoso was a good candidate because of butterfly dance, and because bug/fire moves were a good way to combat some types that I hadn't yet had any way to combat.

And this was my first draft of the team. I added Zoroark because Illusion was a cool ability that I wanted to try out. I never really intended on keeping him, just wanted to see how I could play around with his ability.

So as I said, I never really intended to keep Zoroark, and soon replaced him with Marakacchi. The idea here was to Ingrain and spam Growth, using Giga Drain when I got low, and then just Sweep with special attacks.

So what happened was that when I used ingrain, they would switch to a fire type and I would have nothing to do. I had HP water, but even then, Marak wasn't that fast. It was just a bad idea all around and was easily replaced by Borutoruso. He also helped provide additional coverage against Ground and Water pokes, which was nice.

So as I kept playing, Desukan really didn't serve any purpose to me other than fodder. Sure he could cripple people with Will-O-Wisp a little, but I really didn't like having to use rest and rely on RNG to get out. I ended up rarely using him, and Nattorei would wall well enough anyways, so I put in a Bulk Up Roopushin as a sort of wall that was also a sweeper.

There was really no point in having 2 physical sweepers, and Doryuuzu really didn't help me much outside of sand storm, so I replaced him with Spiritomb to act as a physical wall. Spiritomb has been great, as nothing is Super Effective against him, and a few things do no damage to him at all. He also brought back Desukan's ability to cripple sweepers.

While I did sweep once or twice with Orugamosu, he has really bad typing and I ended up dying way before I could even think of stacking Butterfly Dance. Furthermore, I had an Ice weekness that needed ti be dealt with. So, I put in Kerudio as my new Special Sweeper that could also deal well enough with Ice.

Ans that's my team so far!
P.S: I owe much of these decisions to the people helping me out on this site :)

Ononokusu@Choice Scarf
Trait: Rivalry
EVs: 4 HP/252 AtK/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-
Double Chop
-
Outrage
-
Earthquake
-
Brick Break
Weaknesses:
Ice: Kerudio
Dragon: I outspeed most dragons on this guy​

Item, Trait, and Nature: Choice scarf is there to ensure that I go first. The whole point of this guy is to go first and get a OHKO. I use Rivalry simply because I don't find many people who bother to make their pokes Female, and because none of his other traits are that good. Jolly is there to boost speed, and lose a stat that I don't need at all: SpA.
EV Spread: Attack to help ensure the OHKO, and speed to help ensure that I go first.
Moveset: Double Chop to break subs. Outrage to deal massive damage to other dragon leads or to leads that my other moves aren't good against. Earthquake to deal damage to anything that is on he ground. Brick Break simply to have a wider range of move types.
Overview: This lead is meant to be able to do a lot of damage, and fast. With Jolly, full speed EVs, and a scarf, I go first 95% of the time. Combine that with 147 base attack and full EVs to get a devastating effect.

Roopushin@Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 68 HP/196 AtK/246 SpD
Impish Nature
-
Bulk Up
-
Drain Punch
-
Mach Punch
-
Stone Edge
Weaknesses:
Flying: Covered by Borutorusu
Pyschic: Spiritomb​

Item, Trait, and Nature: Leftovers are there to help keep me up while bulking up. Although, because Drain Punch can do that effectively, I am thinking of replacing it. Iron Fist because it makes my main moves much better, although I am seriously considering using Guts to combat burn, paralyze, etc. Impish Nature is there to buff Defense while not doing any harm to any main stats.
EV Spread: HP and SpD to make me a bit more bulky, especially while Bulking Up, and AtK to help sweep.
Moveset: Bulk Up is there to set up for a sweep. Not only does it buff Defense, making me even more bulky, but it buffs attack, ensuring that my moves will be able to OHKO with ease. Drain Punch to keep me alive while Bulking Up. Mach Punch as my main damaging move. Stone Edge to combat one of my weaknesses: Flying.
Overview: My Physical Sweeper. It's pretty self explanatory; Bulk Up while Drain Punching to stay alive, and once Bulked Up sufficiently, start to sweep. The only problem is that the lack of SpD makes me vulnerable to special sweepers that are allowed to freely set up at the same time that I am. I can normally just Drain Punch them to death. Another problem comes from being Taunted, in which case I either switch to a different poke, or just take it and try to kill the wall.

Kerudio @ Leftovers
Ability: Justice Heart
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
-
Calm Mind
-
Hydro Pump
-
Sword of Mystery
-
Hidden Power (Ice)
Weaknesses:
Psychic: Spiritomb
Electric: Ononokusu​

Item, Ability, and Nature: Leftovers to keep me up while setting up with Calm Mind. Justice Heart is the only option for an ability, and Timid to increase speed while not hindering me at all.
EV Spread: Speed to make me go first, as I am really vulnerable to Physical attacks. SpA to help me sweep.
Moveset: Calm Mind is there to buff SpA and SpD, making me bulkier in one area, and making me do massive damage. I can then use dual STAB attacks to down my opponent easily. HP Ice is there to help combat some of my weaknesses: Flying and Grass.
Overview: My Special Sweeper. Once Calm Mind is set up, this guy destroys. Dual STAB attacks cover a wide spectrum of pokes, and the HP makes that even wider. The only problem I am having here is getting out sped and killed by Electric types, and dying before I get off enough Calm Minds because of my low Def. However, most of the time I am able to switch out at the right time so that neither of those two things happen.

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Careful
EVs: 208 HP/184 Def/116 SpD
-
Pain Split
-
Will-o-Wisp
-
Taunt
-
Bark Out
Weaknesses:
Literally none

Item, Ability, and Nature: Leftovers to help keep me alive when walling, Pressure is the only ability, and careful nature buffs SpD while not hindering my performance much at all.
EV Spread: Hp, Def, and SpD all serve to help make me more bulky. Enough said.
Moveset:Pain Split to heal me and hurt new pokes that switch in to widdle me down. Will-O-Wisp helps cripple physical sweepers, and slowly kills pokes that are being walled. Taunt makes sweepers unable to set up, and Bark Out is there to lower the opponent's SpA, allowing this guy to cripple special and physical sweepers.
Overview: My Physical Wall. I really like having his guy as a wall, as nothing is 2x effective to him, making it really hard to kill him. Will-O-Wisp is there just to do damage while stalling, and to cripple some sweepers pretty nicely. I normally just switch him in on sweepers just to cripple them with will-o-wisp, and taunt them if they are trying to set up. The only problem comes when I switch in just a tad to late and end up getting OHKO'd by pokes who have already set up once. However, that is just bad planning on my part and not the poke's fault.

Borutorosu@Leftovers
Trait: Mischevious Heart
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature
-
Nasty Plot
-
Hidden Power (Ice)
-
Thunderbolt
-
Focus Blast
Weaknesses:
Rock: Roopushin, Ononokuso
Ice: Kerudio

Item, Ability, and Nature: Leftovers are there to help me setup, but I am thinking of replacing because I never really have time to setup anyways. Mischievous Heart gives Nasty Plot priority, which is nice. Timid nature buffs speed.
EV Spread: SpA to kill, Spe to help me go first.
Moveset: Nasty Plot is my way to setup for nasty damage. STAB Thunderbolt does tons of damage, and Focus Blast does as well. Hidden Power ice is there to provide additional coverage, although I am considering switching it to HP fighting to combat my only two weaknesses.
Overview: My sort of special sweeper that is more of just a poke that can combat water and flying. I switch to him whenever the occasion arises, as he can do quite a lot of damage if given the opportunity. He was really just put in to be able to cover some of the team's weaknesses while still being able to do a lot of damage and potentially sweep.

Nattorei@Leftovers
Trait: Steel Thorns
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SpD
Calm Nature
-
Leech Seed
-
Power Whip (Maybe Gyro Ball here?)
-
Spikes
-
Toxic
Fire: Ononokuso
Fighting: Borutorusu

Item, Ability, and Nature: Leftovers to help me stay alive when walling, Steel Thorns is the only option, and calm makes me bulkier.
EV Spread: HP and SpD make me a bulkier wall, that's all there is to it.
Moveset: Leech Seed to help widdle down the opponent, while helping to heal me. Spikes are self explanatory. Toxic helps kill the walled poke, and finally, Power Whip is just filler. I need advice as to whether to replace it with Gyro Ball or Protect, but as of now I never seem to use it.
Overview: My Special Wall. I really like Nattorei, and he has been on almost all of my teams. The ability to be able successfully wall while still doing a decent amount of damage is really good, but most importantly is the ability to wall Dragons with 1-2 Dragon Dances up. I switch to Nattorei whenever I need to and never regret it :P.

So that's my team. I realize now that I really need a Rapid Spinner, so any help would be appreciated!

A quick rate,

On Ononokusu there's no point in shadow claw, use brick brak and instead of dragon claw, use double chop. It breaks through sashes.

on Urugamoso use hp rock over grass, better coverage on most stuff.

On Doryuuzu use sand throw. Double speed is way better since sd already boosts attack and 88 base speed isn't very good.

On Borutorosu try focus blast or hp ice over psychic. Whats the point of it anyways? Hp ice or focus blast has superior coverage. Timid over modest for speed as np boosts satk anyways.

On Nattore try shed skin instead of lefties. Getting trapped by Shanderaa or Wobbafet is not fun. Toxic is a decent choice but try thunderwave to cripple sweepers.

Ho boy, let's see here.

First off I think you should read some of the better RMTs here to see how to put a team together. You didn't mention how a single pokemon covers another's weakness or support each other. It's every man for itself and that's a poor way to create a successful team.

Ononokusu: Double Chop and Brick Break should replace Dragon Claw and Shadow Claw.

Roopushin: Without a doubt use Guts otherwise you are susceptible to burn. I've never seen a Roopushin without Mach Punch before or with full defense EVs. I don't think it necessarily makes the best wall given it only has a 95 base Defense, albeit good 105 HP, if I recall, and not many resistances. This isn't necessarily bad, but most people attack Roopushin specially anyway. Investing in SpD instead makes you a better overall tank.

Ulgamoth: If you don't have rapid spin support to get Stealth Rock off the field I say don't bother. Boltolos already resists grass and ground and takes care of both with HP Ice.

Doryuzuu: Dory outside of the sand is worthless. And you're not even using the sand throw ability, which is his only useful ability really. Just replace him and Ulgamoth.

Boltoros: Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spd with Nasty Plot, Focus Blast, HP Ice and Thunderbolt. Or Taunt, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt and HP Ice.

Ho boy, let's see here.

First off I think you should read some of the better RMTs here to see how to put a team together. You didn't mention how a single pokemon covers another's weakness or support each other. It's every man for itself and that's a poor way to create a successful team.

Roopushin: Without a doubt use Guts otherwise you are susceptible to burn. I've never seen a Roopushin without Mach Punch before or with full defense EVs. I don't think it necessarily makes the best wall given it only has a 95 base Defense, albeit good 105 HP, if I recall, and not many resistances. This isn't necessarily bad, but most people attack Roopushin specially anyway. Investing in SpD instead makes you a better overall tank.

Ulgamoth: If you don't have rapid spin support to get Stealth Rock off the field I say don't bother. Boltolos already resists grass and ground and takes care of both with HP Ice.

Doryuzuu: Dory outside of the sand is worthless. And you're not even using the sand throw ability, which is his only useful ability really. Just replace him and Ulgamoth.
First off, as I said I am a noob so yeah... I guess I'll fix that.

Secondly, with Roopushin, I invested in Defense because Bulk Up buffs Defense and I figured that it was better to invest in that. But, maybe I could switch the EVs in Def to Atk and make Roopushin my new physical sweeper and put in a physical wall for Doryuuzu.

Thirdly, any suggestions as to a special sweeper to replace Ulgamoth?

Most importantly: Thanks for all the help, I really need it :)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Because bulk up buffs defense, you should invest in special defense. Otherwise you are just raising an already pretty high defense and be very susceptible to special moves.
Also, if i recall, rivalry lowers your attack by some percent on opposite gender(?). I myself run all an all female team and that attack drop is pretty inconvenient. Mold breaker would generally be better I think, as it lets you hit levitators(?) with eq.
Also, one way you can self-improve move sets (for future reference, and when rates are scarce) is take note of what walls you and slowly adjust accordingly so you can mold moves around your team instead of the general everyone move sets (not saying theyre bad, but you team might deal with something that walls a sweeper well and thEn you wouldnt need that coverage move on said sweeper)

I use this guy as a lead
because he has such high speed
It's like...smogon-poetry.

Um.

DDMence rapes this team. Really bad. It sets up on Nattorei, Ononononono, and Urgh, outspeeds and OHKOs everything.

A solution would be to replace your Ononono with Scarfchomp. It has a weaker outrage, yes, but a stronger EQ, and has a lot more bulk and essential five more bp in speed to outspeed key threats like Mence (who by the way beats you), Urugamosu (who by the way beats you), and other stuff. Like, um, Scarfrachi or Victini or something. It's also immune to Thunder Wave, which really sucks on scarfers.

Um, so that is

Garchomp
Roob
Bonta
Nattorei

Notably, it's ice weak, as well as eaten by sandstorm and weather in general.

A solution would be to throw in Choice Band Tyranitar over Urugu (who is not very great without a spinner and has terrible defensive typing), who has defensive evs to soak up hits, sandstorm lets it take ice attacks with impunity, and it boosts Garchy's evasion and Doryuuzu's speed, which actually makes it work.

Um, I think. Try it out.

First off, as I said I am a noob so yeah... I guess I'll fix that.

Secondly, with Roopushin, I invested in Defense because Bulk Up buffs Defense and I figured that it was better to invest in that. But, maybe I could switch the EVs in Def to Atk and make Roopushin my new physical sweeper and put in a physical wall for Doryuuzu.

Thirdly, any suggestions as to a special sweeper to replace Ulgamoth?

Most importantly: Thanks for all the help, I really need it :)
Unfortunately you have your logic backwards. It's because Bulk Up increases your Df that it doesn't need as much investment. Roopushin's SpD is sub par, but he has great HP and good Df. By giving a mic of HP and SpD you make yourself bulkier all around. Bulk Up will push you to tankish levels and special attacks that used to do 80% will now be doing more like 50%, even less after Drain Punch healing. Here's the Roopushin set I use:

Roopushin@Leftovers
Guts
Adamant 68 HP / 196 At / 248 SpD
Bulk Up
Mach Punch
Drain Punch
Stone Edge

This set gives you a Leftovers number, a natural At stat of 400, and as much SpD as possible. Because Roopushin causes switches easily it isn:t difficult at all to get Bulk Up in. Afterwards you'll have 600 At and a Df above 300. That's more than enough to get to business. The only special attacks you really need to fear are STAB Psychic, Air Slash and Draco Meteor. Surfs and Flamethrowers will hurt, but the damage is mitigated severely by Drain Punch and those you don't kill are finished with Mach Punch. Feel free to put more At EVs into HP if you wish but I've found this to be a great and efficient spread.

Rather than give you a fish I think I'll teach you how. Let's look at your team thusfar. Scarf Ononokusu, Bulk Up Roopushin, Nattorei, and Boltolos. As far as typing goes you have two weak to Ice so adding another Dragon or Grass type is probably unwise. A water or fire pokemon would probably do right? And you also want a special attacker. I say look no further than either Kerudio or Starmie. Both have great speed and special attack and provide you with Fire and Ice resistances. Kerudio can be a fast special version of Roopushin with Calm Mind and brutal dual STAB attacks. Likewise, Starmie has an amazing speed tier, fantastic coverage as well as some useful utility in Rapid Spin. Boltolos certainly appreciates no Stealth Rock, but the decision is yours.

As for the wall we have two important factors to consider. Which one has the correct typing to provide useful resitances and which has some moves to my my primary sweeper's jobs easier? For example, Spiritomb is immune to Psychic attacks that hurt Roopushin and Kerudio and it can throw out burns to make Kerudio sweep easier. Likewise you could make a defensive Jirachi that can use Wish and Light Screen to help Roopushin use Bulk Up or get Nattorei back to full health.

Those are just some examples. So, what kind of wall do you think you need?

Oh, and happy to help. :)

I use this guy as a lead
because he has such high speed
His Choice Scarf is rape
I beat Infernape
By busting his sash like a Swede.
Now that, is poetry.

As for Urgamoth, might I suggest Expert Belt Victini? No reason to boost, just general spamming of Flame Bomb after bulky waters are weakened by Voltros.

EDIT: DON'T STOP ME, I'M ON A ROLL

This guy is my physical sweeper
One Bulk Up and he's such a weeper
Drain Punch keeps me kickin'
Mach Punch is just sickin'
And Stone Edge lets me hurt things real deeper
I'm thinking of changing this moth
He hits like he's made out of froth
The one real good pretense
For using him, is defense
'Gainst Ground types and Grass types so oft.
Nattorei is my special wall
Leech Seed can help it to stall
Power Whip is awesome
Toxic is lawlsome
and Spikes is real helpful to all.
With Voltlos I try to T-Wave
And Nasty Plot while they behave
But as soon as I Plot in
They send their Rock in
and Stone Edge me into my grave.
Doryuuzu is really quite imba
With one boost it sweeps like a Roomba
One thing I can say
Is that in the fray
I'm outsped by a really large numba.

Okay so I took all of your thoughts into consideration and changed my team accordingly. I can't thank you enough for all of this help.

One more question: After comparing Garchomp and Ononokusu, I found that Garchomp outdoes Ononokusu in every way except for attack, which Ononokusu has 17 more of (base). This would be good, except that (correct me if I'm wrong) I want my lead to get as many OHKOs as possible, so that extra attack helps enough to offset all of the other stats. I might be wrong so I need your help again to work that out.

Other than that, how does the newly edited team look?

Actually Kerudio doesn't exist yet, so you might want to put the team under DW. As for Spiritomb I suggest Black (?) Out over Sucker Punch if you really don't like it as it lowers the SAtk of the opponent 100% of the time. Alternatively you can make the entire team DW and use MH Sableye.

Kerudio needs Hidden Power Electric if it's going to avoid getting walled by Berungeru, and has better coverage with your other attacking moves in any case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Berungeru be taken out by Borutoruso? At any rate, woudn't Ice be better as it covers two of my weaknesses?

And to min min, what do you mean it doesn't exist yet? Sorry, I'm fairly new to this.

Again correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't none of the gen V pokemon been released?

as is, my team is 5/6 gen V.

But that's beside the point, my team is eligible to be in the ladder and that's all that matters to me.

The real point is that I need a lot of help in making my team actually usable xD
After comparing Garchomp and Ononokusu, I found that Garchomp outdoes Ononokusu in every way except for attack, which Ononokusu has 17 more of (base). This would be good, except that (correct me if I'm wrong) I want my lead to get as many OHKOs as possible, so that extra attack helps enough to offset all of the other stats. I might be wrong so I need your help again to work that out.
I realize now that I really need a Rapid Spinner, so any help would be appreciated!
EDIT: I don't meen to sound like you're wrong and I'm right, I just need a lot of help and you all have been so helpful so far.

Hey, this is a pretty solid gen. 5 team although there are a couple of things that stand out. Firstly, because you are using Kerudio your team is designed for Dream World play. This means that your Nattorei will be definitely wanting a Shed Shell. Scarf Shanderra is no doubt the most popular Pokemon in the tier and with Shed Shell, Nattorei, once the epitome of Shanderra bait is able to escape unscathed.

I think you are going to have a lot of issues with Randorusu and Birijion. Both Pokemon have the potential to sweep right through your team. The former is able to 2HKO every single member with its Sand Power boosted Earthquakes and the latter can sweep you once it gets to +2.

Currently there are only two Pokemon I can see that will actually deal relatively well with the aforementioned threats. These two Pokemon are Bronzong and a defensive Calm Mind Latias. With Zen Headbutt, Bronzong is able to beat Birijion most of the time and resisted Earthquake / Stone Edge / Hidden Power [Ice] which Randorusu usually carries. However, I unfortunately cannot find a place where your Bronzong could fit on this team, and so I will suggest Latias.

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid | Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Calm Mind / Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power [Fire] or Roar / Recover

I think Latias would fit nicely over Voltolos on this team. Roar is generally preferred for its ability to beat Rankurusu. You have Rankurusu covered really well though, with Spiritomb being one of the best checks for it in the game. Roar can also build up Spikes damage. Hidden Power [Fire] can stop a Scizor or Nattorei from ending your sweep, however.

Personally I would replace Scarf Ononokusu with a Scarf Garchomp. Scarf Garchomp has the ability to outrun +1 base 100s which is pretty good, especially when you want to stop a Salamence sweep. If I recall correctly, Garchomp also gets Double Chop if you are so adamant on that moveslot.

Good luck!

Again correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't none of the gen V pokemon been released?
Of course they are released, just not in English. I'm saying that there is no way you can even get Kerudio in-game.

On a side note, PO has 2 tiers: Wifi, for things that do exist (e.g. Sand Throw Doryuuzu, Drizzle Politoed) and Dream World for everything, whether they exist or not. Since you can ladder with Kerudio, you must be in Dream World. Hence, use Mischievous Heart Sableye over Spiritomb because it's really much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)