Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hong Kong Nationals footage
Professor Kukui introduces what Pokemons are https://www.facebook.com/hkpwt/videos/1161147140618535/
Rockruff https://www.facebook.com/hkpwt/videos/1161147857285130/
Koala thing https://www.facebook.com/hkpwt/videos/1161147857285130/

How come no one posted the videos yet?
Probably because you are our only user who keeps track of the HK stuff :) Thank you for doing it though!

Also just a note to everyone; just chill out. This is Pokemon afterall, there's no need to get in a massive tizzy over whether or not something is a legendary. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. We've seen it happen in the anime before where a Legend befriends a trainer (Like Ash with Lugia <Or insert name of legend here>, or Frontier Brain Noland and Articuno). It wouldn't be out of the question for Hala to befriend Tapu Koko to battle you with before it goes back off into the wild.

We've had a lot of information to process in a very short amount of time, I don't want to lock up this thread over people arguing over stuff. Enjoy the information we've been given... It's great that they are giving us anything at all. They could quite easily go totally silent on us again.

Wow. Can you imagine how strong a single move would have to be to make Pikachu of all things viable? Not even mega-viable, just regularly "yeah Pikachu is a decent Pokemon now." Like... it'd have to ignore immunities, probably have priority, and have a stupidly high base power. Weird.

Wouldn't object though; one of my pet peeves over megas is that Pikachu couldn't have one without breaking the mechanic and wrecking its design. A new mechanic in the form of a move is a much easier pill to swallow.
If only Light ball boosted speed too...

I believe that the E3 Treehouse thing said as much... Not only that, but the Strange Souvenir may hint at what one looks like too, since it is said to resemble a guardian pokemon.
It's not that it may, It does, if you read the item description in game, and because it does not look like Tapu Koko it means at least there's one Tiki/totem legendary more, but there are 4 natural islands and 1 artificial.

When they withdraw their wings their looks change to that of a Tiki totem so that one should look like the Strange Souvenir when withdrawn into wings or what it has. This should come in trios meaning there's still one more for the trio to which we know nothing.

Meaning 1 natural Island is left which I believe it should be Zygarde's work (maybe as an external trio master) to take care of, and the other artificial island because it's manmade it shouldn't have a land spirit. Meaning 4 islands for 4 land spirits, the same number of hawian main gods/land spirits.

I stop here because it's barely what I have to make a decent reasoning with some base of how things could be without entering speculation or wishlisting zone.

If there are four islands in Alola, and Tapu Koko is the guardian of one of them, and assuming every island has a guardian, including the artificial one, what if Magearna was the guardian of the man-made island? I don't really have anything to back this up but it would be cool.
I think the guardians are capable of disguising themselves as man-made objects (Pokeball, totem pole). Tapu Koko may be one part of a totem but it's just as likely that the other two are unrelated objects. Perhaps an ancient culture came in contact with these beings and they have adopted these conformations.

This games early route mons continue to impress. I love that we finally have an early route mon that resists Normal and isn't a Rock-type. Plus, it's a hedgehog and automatically adorable. Cutiefly looks interesting and its concept could be nightmare fuel. The others are probably mid to late game, but Bruxish is freakish (as it should be) while Drampa is probably my least favorite so far. Vikavolt is just too awesome but I'm not a fan of its lore. Stealing power from Charjabug does not seem like an evolutionary stable strategy. ;)

I think the guardians are capable of disguising themselves as man-made objects (Pokeball, totem pole). Tapu Koko may be one part of a totem but it's just as likely that the other two are unrelated objects. Perhaps an ancient culture came in contact with these beings and they have adopted these conformations.

This games early route mons continue to impress. I love that we finally have an early route mon that resists Normal and isn't a Rock-type. Plus, it's a hedgehog and automatically adorable. Cutiefly looks interesting and its concept could be nightmare fuel. The others are probably mid to late game, but Bruxish is freakish (as it should be) while Drampa is probably my least favorite so far. Vikavolt is just too awesome but I'm not a fan of its lore. Stealing power from Charjabug does not seem like an evolutionary stable strategy. ;)
Well, we really don't know yet if Togedemaruis going to be an early route Pokémon tho (hopefully he will)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, we really don't know yet if Togedemaruis going to be an early route Pokémon tho (hopefully he will)
Pikachu: Viridian Forest (attached to Route 2)
Plusle & Minun: Route 110
Pachirisu: Route 205
Emolga: Route 5
Dedenne: Route 11

I'm going to guess we'll get Togedemaru sometime around the first half/middle of the main story. So I'm going to guess on the non-volcanic part of the volcanic island.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Maybe reading too much into it but I thought it was interesting arcanine was chosen as a Mon to showcase rockruff. Hopefully his evolution will have similar stats and move pool love.

Follow up what are the ranges of HP based on the bar we saw of rockruff. Assuming 31 Ivs?

Sleepy koala was pretty high level and hit buzz with what move?

I'm going to guess we'll get Togedemaru sometime around the first half/middle of the main story. So I'm going to guess on the non-volcanic part of the volcanic island.
Depends on your definition of early route 'mon. To me, it's everything before the first gym.

Depends on your definition of early route 'mon. To me, it's everything before the first gym.
I was about to say something like that, but I take early game at around before the second gym

But still, it would be one of the earliest steel types (and non-rock normal resists avaliable) in Pokémon, which is definetly something

Edit: nvm, we had Honedge quite early in XY

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I was about to say something like that, but I take early game at around before the second gym

But still, it would be one of the earliest steel types (and non-rock normal resists avaliable) in Pokémon, which is definetly something

Edit: nvm, we had Honedge quite early in XY
Also don't forget Magnemite in BW2, and Gastly in GSC (and remakes). RSE gave us Aron before the second Gym too. In Granite Cave, you could also find Mawile (R) and Sableye (SE), although neither were available that early in ORAS. In Pearl and Platinum, you could find Misdreavus and Gastly in Eterna Forest at night.

The Steel type is usually one of the later types you encounter, but indeed there are lots of exceptions. I don't think we'll meet Togedemaru much earlier than other Steel types throughout the generations.

Now, early-game Ice types on the other hand, that is a rarity...

[slightly off topic]
All the hate towards Bruxish? I love Bruxish. The design is very comedic and colorful.
Looks like it may become the second Pokemon to have lovely kiss as a joke.

Let's see if Dazzling will protect multi Pokemon in Doubles. This thing has potential to be viable in VGC.
I'm not seeing any hate towards Bruxish. I love it, it's so perfect for a region that's basically a bunch of exotic islands. Also, i like how it was given a typing which isn't actually used that much. It's ability which blocks priority moves is something which would be very valuable to me.

Last edited:
Follow up what are the ranges of HP based on the bar we saw of rockruff. Assuming 31 Ivs?
45-46 base HP.

Assuming 31 IVs for all the new Pokemon shown these are base HPs I've found in trailers

Rockruff: 45-46 base HP (54 HP at lv20)
Rowlet: 65-74 (23 HP at lv5)
Vikvavolt: 75 (125 HP at lv41)
Togedemaru: 60-61 (85 HP at lv30)
Bruxish: 66-67 (86 HP at lv29)
Tapu Koko: 70 (172 HP at lv60)
Solgaleo: 137 (212 HP at lv50)

Though the Flygon in the trailer seemed to have 15, Salamence in an earlier one had 0, and Zygarde had 31, so I don't know how reliably we can go by these right now.

[slightly off topic]
All the hate towards Bruxish? I love Bruxish. The design is very comedic and colorful.
Looks like it may become the second Pokemon to have lovely kiss as a joke.

Let's see if Dazzling will protect multi Pokemon in Doubles. This thing has potential to be viable in VGC.
Eh, speaking about Bruxish, its ability.... if this fish ended up at least good enough to stay and the ability stops priority moves for whole team, won't that make Quick Guard obsolete? Not that I'm complaining as I don't even run Quick Guard on Talonflame and I haven't tried my male 'Nix (Meowstic) in Triples, but <something> Guard has been quite a staple in Triples. But I wonder how they'll change the Triples metagame (and also Doubles to lesser extent)....

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Assuming 31 IVs for all the new Pokemon shown these are base HPs I've found in trailers

Vikvavolt: 75 (125 HP at lv41)

Though the Flygon in the trailer seemed to have 15, Salamence in an earlier one had 0, and Zygarde had 31, so I don't know how reliably we can go by these right now.
So we can conclude that Vikavolt has at least base 75 HP, possibly more if its HP IV is less than 31.

For comparison, here's the base HP for all fully-evolved, early-game Bugs in earlier generations. Total BST (disregarding Gen VI changes) in brackets:

Butterfree: 60 (385)
Beedrill: 65 (385)
Ledian: 55 (390)
Ariados: 70 (390)
Beautifly: 60 (385)
Dustox: 60 (385)
Kricketune: 77 (384)
Leavanny: 75 (490)
Scolipede: 60 (475)
Vivillon: 80 (411)

The "early evolvers" all seem to have fairly low HP, which fits well with their low overall stats and BST. The exceptions are Vivillon, whose stats appear to be "tailored" for better perfomance (comparatively high HP, Sp. Atk and Speed, crap everything else, and a BST much higher than other early bloomers, to boot), and Kricketune, which just seems to focus on HP and Attack overall, the rest of its stats being thoroughly crummy.

Leavanny and Scolipede are both "late bloomers", reaching their final form after high Friendship (no earlier than level 21) and level 30, respectively. They also have a much higher BST than the other early-game bugs. Vikavolt was seen evolving at level 28 in a trailer, comfortably following the former two in their tracks.

The conclusion seems to be that Vikavolt is either tuned for a fairly defensive build (which is unlikely with that design, and Electric types don't tend to have high HP), or that it will follow its "late bloomer" cousins and have a fairly high BST for an early-game Bug. The high HP stat just follows the rest of the BST, and it's possible that Vikavolt will excel in other stats as well. Scolipede and Leavanny both have offensive stats above 100, and decent Speed too: 92 for Leavanny, 112 for Scolipede.

From experience we can then expect Vikavolt to have a BST around 480-500, with at least two stats at or around the 100 mark, the rest being around 70, give or take 20. Not a game breaker by BST alone, but given the right moves it should be a solid choice for an in-game team.

My only fear with Vikavolt (and from what we saw for the moment it's a real fear) is that it's gonna be a Galvantula 2.0 with same BST repartition pattern. Why you doing this GameFreak ?:mad:

So with it's evolutions revealed and a little speculations on it's stats, Grubbin has gone from "eh, it's a nice early-game mon design I guess" to "oh my god give me this right now"
Litten and Grubbin's my planned team rn. Anyone else got any team plans from what they've seen so far?

My only fear with Vikavolt (and from what we saw for the moment it's a real fear) is that it's gonna be a Galvantula 2.0 with same BST repartition pattern. Why you doing this GameFreak ?:mad:
Considering the MASSIVE PINCER JAWS on all stages of evolution, I think I can happily assume it to be physically-orientated rather than specially-orientated like Galvantula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)