Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Rockruff/Starter "secret":

Now, this is speculation on my part, but hear me out. Earlier in the year CoroCoro stated that Rockruff and the starters share a secret, which in the coming months was assumed to be an exclusive Z-move, split evos, syncro-evos, etc. However, based on the descriptions that we got today of the middle starters, I would like to propose a different theory: The starters (and Rockruff) do not evolve into their final stage based on level but based on a mechanic similar to Happiness if not happiness itself

The Evidence:
  • "Lycanroc obeys its Trainer’s orders dutifully. In particular, if a Trainer accepted it during its more rebellious pre-Evolution period, Lycanroc will never ever betray that Trainer and will be the most loyal of partners." -Midday form
  • "Contempt rises in this Pokémon for Trainers who give orders it doesn’t agree with or who try to force it to battle. On the other hand, it will feel a deep trust in a Trainer who can truly draw forth its power in battle." -Midnight Form
  • "When it loses its focus, it sometimes even retires from the battle on the spot! It’s up to each Trainer to help Dartrix overcome this troublesome stage. If this Pokémon is with a Trainer who helps it through, its strength will grow hugely!" -Dartrix
  • "Torracat has a great love for battle and will attack so relentlessly that its opponents lose the will to fight. And yet it sometimes behaves like spoiled child in front of Trainers or Pokémon with whom it has built a relationship of trust." -Torracat
  • "Brionne always acts cheery and positive. Even when it’s feeling sad, this Pokémon doesn’t allow its sorrow to show. It’s said that Brionne will only reveal a sad expression to a Pokémon or Trainer to whom it has opened its heart completely." -Brionne
All of these descriptions heavily emphasize the trust and loyalty that a pokemon needs to develop to its Trainer, and Pokemon has always stressed that relationship building and friendship are the goal of the games, and not so much winning every battle. Now, in previous gens I would say that such a theory would be ridiculous because it ignores precedent, but as we all know by now, Sun and Moon doesn't really care about that (i.e. no gyms). And numerous other Pokemon evolve based on knowing a certain move, holding a certain item, Happiness, etc. so why not the starters? Maybe after 20 years Pokemon has finally grown tired of the first evo at lvl 14-16, second evo at lvl 36. In my opinion, it would add alot to the immersion experience if we have to care for our pokemon's Happiness, Trust Meter, etc. rather than tossing it out to grind.
These clues you listed make me think that the secret they share could actually be a Battle Bond hidden ability, like Ash-Greninja. On the other hand, something in Brionne's description (not the part that's shown here) actually points to its hidden ability being Dancer. Who knows...

Middle stages: Likely confirms the leaked final evolutions. Brionne looks very weird, but I like the look of its final stage, so it's still Popplio for me. Torracat is a bulkier Litten, and the wrestler aspect of the final evo seems fitting given the little design quirks. Dartrix is emo owl but its kind of cool, and has some archer aspects to it.

As for what the three might play like, I think that Rowlett's final evo will be the bulky one without much offensive presence, Popplio's is a special attacker, and Litten's a physical attacker.

Ash-Greninja: Now I want pink Butterfree. Either way, the Battle Bond ability might give it a form which is like a mega evolution, though whether or not it will be as broken as its regular counterpart I'm not sure.
Gen2 got you covered.

They changed it on gen 4 if I recall.

These clues you listed make me think that the secret they share could actually be a Battle Bond hidden ability, like Ash-Greninja. On the other hand, something in Brionne's description (not the part that's shown here) actually points to its hidden ability being Dancer. Who knows...
Also another possibility, though in my mind, it seems like they are hyping up Bond Evolution as this rare thing that happens only once every couple hundred years, with AZ's Floette and Ash Greninja being the only confirmed cases. Unless of course, something in the Alola region (climate, Ultra Beasts, etc.) make it a more common occurrence. Knowing Gamefreak, the hidden abilities will be Keen Eye or Sniper for the Rowlet line, Intimidate or Scrappy for the Litten line, and Cute Charm or Swift Swim for the Popplio line.

Though Pokemon is really starting to become unpredictable, so who knows whats going to happen down the line

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Middle-stage starters:

I like Litten's, but it still better not evolve into that pile of trash from the leaks. If it does, this gen will beat out BW for worst starters ever and I'll end up boxing my starter. I was about to do that in BW, seeing as Serperior was the only final evo I really liked but it was the worst one in-game, but ended up not doing so after I deemed Samurott tolerable enough to use. However, this time around, I am legitimately hoping that Litten's middle stage at the very least debunks the garbage leaks because 1) I don't like any of them and 2) at this point I'll take any Litten final evo that doesn't look like the one from the leaks (and isn't Fire/Fighting, that's my only other requirement)

Ash-Greninja:

No. I would have been totally fine with this being anime-exclusive, but they just had to put it in the games I guess.

QR Rental teams:

This is actually pretty cool. A nice way to be able to use other teams (kind of like what you could already do with PS importables) without having to put a lot of effort into bottlecapping Legendaries and breeding. The CHALK pun on the website is still completely intolerable and makes me wonder if Woodchuck got a job with TPCI.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This qr thing sounds absolutely amazing. Instead of people hacking the games to make teams, they can just download a team they want, so that should cut down on the in-game hacking problem considerably. I imagine somebody's going to make a qr generating site where you can build a team like on PS! and make a qr code that way. I'm willing to bet that this will be the norm within two months after release.

I love Litten and Rowlet's evos but Popplio's looks really off... it's the eyes. And also just how clearly feminine it is when every starter has a mostly male > female ratio. The only thing I'm disappointed about it that Rowlet's evo doesn't seem to support archer Rowlet from the leaks, oh well. I like the touch for Litten's evo how the bell on its "collar" is a fireball.

I had hopes for Popplio but I guess I'll be choosing Rowlet or Litten now.

Also naming my Rowlet Eleven or Edgeworth if the final design works...

This qr thing sounds absolutely amazing. Instead of people hacking the games to make teams, they can just download a team they want, so that should cut down on the in-game hacking problem considerably. I imagine somebody's going to make a qr generating site where you can build a team like on PS! and make a qr code that way. I'm willing to bet that this will be the norm within two months after release.
I feel like it's going to be the way people use pastebins on PS. Yes you have an archive of teams you can use to fill up teams for tournaments like Smogon tour, but if you are planning on teams that you are more comfortable with you gotta make it yourself! I like it!

I love Litten and Rowlet's evos but Popplio's looks really off... it's the eyes. And also just how clearly feminine it is when every starter has a mostly male > female ratio. The only thing I'm disappointed about it that Rowlet's evo doesn't seem to support archer Rowlet from the leaks, oh well. I like the touch for Litten's evo how the bell on its "collar" is a fireball.

I had hopes for Popplio but I guess I'll be choosing Rowlet or Litten now.

Also naming my Rowlet Eleven or Edgeworth if the final design works...
Yeah, saying it's going to become an archer because it mentions it using its feathers to attack is grasping at straws (or feathers in this instance) to say the least

How the hell is Meganium feminine? Because it has flowers? Is Vileplume feminine too? I don't understand this line of thinking. Starters have tended to be gender neutral... because they can be male or female (more commonly the former). But that doesn't even matter. The fact that Delphox or Brionne are feminine is not the issue. I actually quite like Delphox as its features are heavily tied to function that a *monster* might make use of. Here we have a Jiggypuff wannabe seal that slipped into a ruffle dress. The fact that you need to wear a dress and pigtails to be more feminine is a lazy attempt to display gender. There's nothing particularly masculine about the other starters, either. They are based on real animals, after all, which don't demonstrate artificial gender roles.

I don't see how people are seeing the leaked finals in most of these but then puberty does tend to hit these starters pretty hard so who knows. Only way I can see it happen is if the whole Lycanrock thing happens and the leaks were dark Moon-type things, which fits pretty well with the rogue/wrestler/siren thing.

Ash Gren is wack idk lol

And nice functionality on the PGL, looking kinda like showdown there :^)

Eh, rather terrible reveals. Dartix and Torracat are cool looking (not a fan of the name Torracat however, it is just odd sounding to me ~shrug~). Brionne is ugly but Popplio was only rivaled in ugliness by Osawott. Luckily for Popplio its leaked final stage is no where near as bad as Osawott so it gets to avoid worse looking starter line award. I don't want to play mini games to get items and stuff :/ It really annoys me. Like I hated the Dream World with a passion but still had to do it get hidden abilities it I have to do this shit to make my character not look like shit or to get useful items I am going to be upset. I was really really hoping Ash-Greninja wouldn't be in the game because I really dislike the anime and would rather not have cannon's crossed however, I am more annoyed it is still called Ash-Greninja. As others have said, Bond-greninja would have been better sounding....Your time is stupid, timers are stupid period imo (I get they are needed so people can't just walk off but you can give some more than 60 secs per a round and a fuck ton more then 10 minutes all together. Luckily this is most likely an optional feature so I don't have to be subjected to it. I also am against the QR code shit, part of the reason I preferred the actual games over showdown is you had to put effort into getting your team ~sigh~. Hopefully they have an option where if you select it, it forces players to battle with their own mons instead of QR generated teams. Well, I guess it will cut down on some of the cheating which is a good thing. Glad megas are reconfirmed, despite the fact that I think they are a terrible mechanic balance-wise. I don't like the idea of removing things that people like how they look from the games themselves when you can simply ban it if you don't want it effecting your meta. Not going to comment on VGC/Nintendo Ladder stuff because I don't do nintendo ladder stuff.

You know animals like the lions, sea horses, and almost every animal HAS a gender role and different ways of forming a group/pact/family/society/whatever. Specific animals like lions even look completely different depending on gender, (kind of like Pyroar) and honestly there are dogs that look more masculine than feminine...a pug looks more male like than a chiwawa even though the pug could be a girl....it's not just some "artificial" thing.

And Chikorita looks feminine as hell by size, eyes, and everything about it. I don't really care that it is feminine despite mostly male ratio but it just is. Feminine looking male animals and vice versa exist.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Continued from previous post.

TRAILERS (+ COOL FEATURES):
0:15: Emo git.
0:25: Lol, I love how much emotion and facial expressions they're now giving Pokemon, this has to be the best one yet.
0:46: Well what did you expect was going to happen when you touched a ball of FIRE? Your a type of person who would tried to pet a Slugma, aren't you?
1:08: BAD TOUCH! BAD TOUCH!
One part Platinum's Wi-Fi Plaza, one part Black 2 & White 2's Join Avenue, and puree.
Festival Plaza looks like a place I'd actually imagine seeing trainers hang out, able to battle & trade with one another while also supplying useful shops and services. Stuff that catches my eye:
  • Customization: Like with the BW2's Join Avenue, I think you have your own "Festival Plaza" and you choose with houses you want in it. As you use these houses or point "guests" to them they increase in level and thus how much services they can offer.
  • Festival Coins: Previously with customization we saw a type of currency called "FC". At first I thought it stood for "Fashion Coins" but as it stands out it stands for "Festival Coins" and they're used in the Festival Plaza. We see two use for them so far: Buying items (there's a "General Store" (that looks like a giant gift box house) which sells item "sets") and for dying clothes! More on the clothes later, the sets are interesting as a batch of them are named after regions:

(Look, they remembered regions other than Kanto exist!)
    I'm curious exactly what these sets are. Considering the description of a set tells you what the item is and how many there are (and that the one shown to us is a PP Up worth 200 FC compared to the others 10 FC), maybe its a batch of the healing/curing items only found in that region? Johto Set could be Rage Candy Bars, Hoenn could be Lava Cookies, Sinnoh could be Old Gateau, Unova could be Casteliacone, and Kalso could be Lumiose Galette and/or Shalour Sable. I'm also going to guess that once you buy a set they'll be sold out and you'll have to wait for it to refresh.
  • Dye House: So this is how you dye clothes! For some FC you can change the dye your clothes, though as always there looks to be a catch. A Dye House be dedicated to a certain color and I imagine let you dye your clothes that color without needing Berries.

However I think you have a way to choose another color via the "Dye with Berries" option. Berries can easily be divided into colors so you'll probably be given an option to use X amount of berries to dye a piece of clothing a certain color (though whether you can just dye Berries alone or must mix them with that Dye House color isn't known. I mention this because if its the latter you may need to be careful which Dye House you choose). I was thinking when they introduce the cloth dying mechanic that they may require you to buy the color dyes but I thought that would be complicating things. Well apparently not, though having you use Berries is a much better idea as it gives them another function, especially for Berries that don't have in-battle effects!
  • Stomp-Stomp Houses: I can't remember if they confirmed Super Training was back, but even if they aren't here's another way to increase your stats! Bouncy houses which look like Drifloon (or at least the one we're shown), you pay for a certain course and your Pokemon's EV increase. Now from the trailer it just looked like it just a one-click deal, choose a course and your Pokemon's stat decrease. However who knows if there's a mini-game attached they didn't show.
  • Requests & Missions: So, how do you earn Festival Coins? Well right now there looks to be two ways: answering requests and completing missions.
    As you roam around you can be asked by other "players" (whether its them or just a bot using their Avatar... actually its probably the latter) where they can go to get a service. Best match their request and you'll get FC. I imagine there will be some more complication, like maybe level (we'll get to that) of the House will get you more FC.
    As for Missions, it gives you a task to do or trivia to answer and depending on how you do you get a rank (out of 5 stars) certain FC. The example they showed was pretty much knowing your type chart, however in the trailer they showed the player riding around on a Tauros breaking rocks which I imagine might be another Mission. In addition to normal Missions you also got the previously mentioned Global Missions, though I don't know if those give FC or not (but they do give you a reward so still worth doing).
  • Other Houses: But this is just the tip of the iceberg, from a shot of the trailer we see there's also: Pokemon House, Battle Store, Big Dreams, (Region) Tent, and Rare Kitchen. We also see what some of the tents look like though I won't even try to guess what they are.
I think that's it really. Like apparently Sophocles is the owner of Festival Plaza though that still doesn't really tell us any more about him as I think we were told he's a genius. Though that said I guess its nice to see this genius being used to create an interesting feature rather than being an informed ability but is not used in the game. Maybe this will hold true for other Island Captains? Eitherway I look forward to trying out Festival Plaza, I really liked BW2's Join Avenue and this looks more of the same but expanded upon!

1:26: Apparently you can beam yourself to Festival Plaza ala Star Trek.
1:28: Yes, a "secret place" that every other player will be told about.
1:39: JEEZ! It looked like you almost ran someone over.
Ah, there's that pun I was expecting for them to use with Pokemon Refresh, they were saving it.
Poke Pelago finally gives use to those Pokemon lounging in your PC, slave labor! Run by some guy named Mohn (the German word for the Poppy flower), Pokemon in your PC can go to Poke Pelago and do stuff there which pretty much helps you. If this sounds like the Dream Worlds, it's only because it looked to have copied some of its basic premises (and it's not online so no worries of it being discontinued)! They only gave us a name for three but we know what another did in the Japanese trailer:
  • Isle Abeens: This Island lets you collect Pokemon Beans for Pokemon Refresh. But not only that, you can find other Pokemon on this island you can make friends with and they'll join you! Well at least the Pokemon actually exist in the real world and aren't being created from your Pokemon dreams this time.
  • Isle Aphun: Your Pokemon mines for the stones items. Hard Rock, Weather increasing stones, and of course evolution stones (maybe even Fossils and Mega Stones?)! Also the Spanish website revealed a new Evolution Stone: Ice Stone (probably to Evolve Alola Vulpix now that the Fire Stone wouldn't make sense and didn't want to change its evolution method).

(Credit to Durengardnit for pointing it out and Siggu for getting the screenshot)
  • Isle Evelup: Yet ANOTHER place to increase your Pokemon's EVs (or experience)! Mohn will whip them up a drink that is said to increase their stats or experience. Oddly there's an item box on this island meaning your Pokemon can get items for you to bring over.
  • Isle (Berry): The final island we were shown is one that you grow Berries on. I find this important as I wondered where would you grow Berries as we didn't see any dirt patches in the trailers. This looks to be where all your Berry growing is done.
  • Isle ????: In the official art there looks to be a final fifth island which has hot springs on it. Not sure what's that for, maybe increasing your boxed Pokemon's happiness?
Now you won't start off with all the islands off the bat and it sounds like the more you use the island the better it becomes (man Sun & Moon sounds packed with a ton of time sinks, its putting all the other first paired games to shame as this would normally be content saved for third versions). Yet another feature to look forward too.

2:14: Get back to work! *cracks whip*
2:19: Yeah, "training"; looks more like lounging around the juice bar.
2:33: That's a mighty big assumption there, Sina. How do you know Z-Power is even the same as Infinity Energy?
3:31: Hm, yeah, Ash-Greninja is all fine and good, BUT could I maybe instead get a Robert-Greninja? Because I consider myself a WAY better trainer than Ash and think my bond should reflect that.

1:43 & 2:50: So looks like you'll be able to access Festival Plaza and Poke Pelago from your bottom menu which now has a second page. I also notice on the 2nd page there looks like a VS Recorder option.

And that's it for me!

You know animals like the lions, sea horses, and almost every animal HAS a gender role and different ways of forming a group/pact/family/society/whatever. Specific animals like lions even look completely different depending on gender, (kind of like Pyroar) and honestly there are dogs that look more masculine than feminine...a pug looks more male like than a chiwawa even though the pug could be a girl....it's not just some "artificial" thing.

And Chikorita looks feminine as hell by size, eyes, and everything about it. I don't really care that it is feminine despite mostly male ratio but it just is. Feminine looking male animals and vice versa exist.
It is artificial because it is man made or at least a perception held by humans. Male birds often look feminine to us due to the way our brains perceive their bright, flamboyant feathers. But they do not adopt our own gender roles, especially other mammals which lack (to our eyes) obvious sexual dimorphism. Birds are a special case where our gender bias is the opposite of reality.

I don't remember seeing it pointed out already, perhaps I missed it, if so, apologies.

But Megastores are available for purchase for 64 bp. This isn't commentary on Megas being in the game, but rather that they're effectively locked out to the casual masses unless BP can be gained outside of the battle facility. 64 ain't cheap and we can't assume every kid whose favourite Pokemon is Gengar or Alakazam has access to Bank for easy points. Thought it was interesting how they're handling those. (Not that all of them will be gained the same way, of course.)

I'm also terrified that GF are going to handle balancing by simply sidestepping the obvious problems, E.g. "Parental Bond isn't broken if nothing in VGC this year can use Parental Bond," followed by "eh, last year was alright, now let's open the floodgates". But w/e, I'll br playing smogon formats anyway...

E: also I'd love to know how exactly Vulpix immigrants evolved in the transition state between Fire and Ice. Melty rock? Water stone? Damp Rock? Hot and Cold Pebbles??

It is artificial because it is man made or at least a perception held by humans. Male birds often look feminine to us due to the way our brains perceive their bright, flamboyant feathers. But they do not adopt our own gender roles, especially other mammals which lack (to our eyes) obvious sexual dimorphism. Birds are a special case where our gender bias is the opposite of reality.
They have their own gender roles, and I would agree. It's interesting how Unfezant is the male one with the more shiny feathers while the female one is different. It is an interesting nod but remember that Pokemon are also humanized versions in a weird way, I mean most anime characters in general are, just to attract audiences, and even designs in general are based off of mythology, like Popplio evo is to sirens, so there are certainly feminine appearances that were even intentional.

Agree to disagree, though!

I am in love with Beautifowl.

I'm genuinely curious as to how they'll handle Parental Bond. It definitely caught some attention from the Pokemon Company after its run in VGC '14 and '15. (And even '16 as a semi-supporter.)

Other reactions: I am very pro this system of mining evolution stones, which historically have been a little heinous to get. I have hopes the plaza contains a Secret Base-like option, or that it's present elsewhere in the game, so we can continue the convenient leveling ORAS gave us (this generation looks huge on competitive convenience, so I'd be surprised if that's not the case). I am similarly all right with the idea of purchasing Mega Stones, since whatever, I've never touched half the ones in my bag, but that means a lot of BP grinding on top of what will already be necessary to repurchase Power Items and held items, since they can't be transferred through Pokebank.

What the hell even is Ash-Greninja. I hate it.

EDIT -- What the god damn guys. Why did you not fix the GTS? You've had three generations.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that is struggling to see a linear progression from the starters middle stages, which I fucking adore, to the leaked final stages? Adding new elements is always apart of such evolutions, but removing elements / replacing them / drastically moving them doesn't seem to quite fit. E.g. it doesn't really make sense for Litten's sack to move to its stomach, also, Datrix --> leaked rowlet final evo does not seem like a clear progression.

I really hope to God that either 1) the final starter evo leaks are not true or have been modified [seems unlikely since the riddler appeared to confirm they were true in his pokedex, although he could perhaps be leading us on, albeit unlikely] or 2) that the starters really do have split forms, because I need torrocat to stay Bidepal, need.

Edit: And I actually really like Brionne, just because its femine doesn't mean its inherently bad, infact its cute as fuck yall

2nd Edit: Im not denying the leaks, they are real, just doesn't seem like a clear progression in the starters evolutions [to me]

Last edited:
Am I the only one that is struggling to see a linear progression from the starters middle stages, which I fucking adore, to the leaked final stages? Adding new elements is always apart of such evolutions, but removing elements / replacing them / drastically moving them doesn't seem to quite fit. E.g. it doesn't really make sense for Litten's sack to move to its stomach, as well as Datrix --> leaked rowlet final evo does not seem like a clear progression.

I really hope to God that either 1) the final starter evo leaks are not true or have been modified [seems unlikely since the riddler appeared to confirm they were true in his pokedex, although he could perhaps be leading us on, albeit unlikely] or 2) that the starters really do have split forms, because I need torrocat to stay Bidepal, need.

Edit: And I actually really like Brionne, just because its femine doesn't mean its inherently bad, infact its cute as fuck yall
Well the sudden progression from middle to last isn't a new thing. Remember Wartortle and Charmeleon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)