Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honesty I much prefer the original Ninetales, maybe it's just my love for the original design but it just a much more..mystic feeling, I don't know. Not really excited for any of the Pokemon except for the new horse because he sounds viable competitively.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
RIP, i thought i was finally seeing a dark type, although they seem to be missing, while fairy is just, just.....just....increasing it's mon.

People keep saying that Frisk is useless, but did they forget about Z- Crystals already? If anye pokemon can hold them, finding out who has it will be very important when it comes to battling. Lest you soul becomes claimed by the almighty BLOOM DOOM.
I mean, only I really said Frisk was useless, and it's more useless along the lines of.... like, okay it has a couple niche uses, but 99% of the time it's like who cares
It's like trying to say Inner Focus is good for Mega Gallade because Mega Kangaskhan counter

Game Freak said they were going with simple designs yet they all are unique, look good and overflow with personality.
Notable particularly in Gumshoos. It's basically Yungoos, only bigger. Very Kanto, indeed. With Comfey taking the "inanimate object" slot, all we need is Wimpodouble (two Wimpods put together) and a 3-headed Cerberuff, and we'll have the full first gen bingo card finished.

People keep saying that Frisk is useless, but did they forget about Z- Crystals already? If anye pokemon can hold them, finding out who has it will be very important when it comes to battling. Lest you soul becomes claimed by the almighty BLOOM DOOM.
Who has it and which one it is.

RIP, i thought i was finally seeing a dark type, although they seem to be missing, while fairy is just, just.....just....increasing it's mon.
I'm still hoping fairy gets nerfs defensively just because Clefable being top tier just because of how good fairy is defensively is insane. (It's not like Clefable has an amazing BST) It's terrifying to see how many more Pokemon have such a useful defensive typing.

Frisk has good utility... but only on paper. Eventually the meta will settle and everyone will know which Pokemon will carry a Mega Stone, a Z-Crystal or a regular item without such ability.

There's a reason lures exist to begin with.

Apologies if someone has already posted this and I've just missed it, but: it's confirmed Tapu Koko is part of a quartet of some kind. From here (emphasis mine):

"Each of Alola’s four islands has a leader, called the island kahuna, who governs the island. Kahunas are chosen by the Pokémon known as guardian deities, which are also found on each island."

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
The more I think about, the more I realize that the Alola variants of Exeggutor and friends are basically cross-generation evolutions (like Electivire, Yanmega, etc.), but introduced in a way that doesn't render the old Pokemon as now-outclassed NFEs, which was one of the main criticisms people had against cross-gen evos in the first place (and why many people loved the concept of Mega Evolution over regular evolutions)

Well played, Game Freak. Well played

WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THESE NEWS

Ok, ok, let's calm down...

- Z moves: finally fully shown, it's practically confirmed that this mechanic is the counterpart of Mega-evo for moves. This, and the fact that no new megas are being shown, makes me wondering what they'll do with megas at all... Scrapping them from the game is kind of dumb, megas are fan favorites and removing such a revolutionary and successful mechanic for no reason at all would be incomprehensible. However, I can see the point in slowing them down: it's highly unlikely that ALL fully evolved pokémons will have a mega, and continuing proposing lots of them would saturate the niche too soon. It was the "6th gen gimmick", so I see they not being so hyped during the release of a new gen game. Maybe we'll have them after finishing the story, and it's possible that we'll not have any new mega at first (or just a few). I wouldn't mind even a radical change in the Mega Evo mechanic actually, I just don't want them to disappear entirely.

- Riding Pokémon: even this is finally confirmed as something much more developed than before. AND YES, RIDING CHARIZARD!! A return of ORAS soaring was one of my biggest hope! Also seeing Sharpedo smashing those rocks or Stoutland sniffing and barking (I think for searching items) it's really something way more satisfying than any overworld apparition of regular mons happened before!

- Alola forms: this is definitely the best thing introduced by this trailer... Totally unexpected and a brilliant innovation. I study Natural Science, and seeing the pokémon countepart of insular speciation is just so beautiful for me! There's definitely a Darwin's inspiration here! It's an awesome way to renew older pokémons, without necessarily making tons of new ones. I'm really, really curious about the implications of this (stats, moves etc etc...)

- Alola Exeggutor is just hilarious, and I LOVE IT. It's even dumber than the already dumb original one, like Mega Slowbro is to regular Slowbro, and in a totally positive way. Grass/Dragon is so random that it complements this dumbness perfectly.

- Alola Vulpix/Ninetale are awesome. I like them far more than the original, especially Ninetales, it's absolutely stunning in this form, and the typing is just perfect.

- Alola Sandshrew/Sandslash are fairly good ones too. Love the new design, the Igloo/Icicle themes match perfectly despite the radical conceptual changes. Even them are better than the originals to me.

- TRUMP CONFIRMED... It's really just Trump, it's so obvious on so many levels... And the fact that it's an IMMIGRANT is absolutely hilarious. Great. Sadly it's still pure normal, but we'll see.

- Formantis/Lurantis are just beautiful, I love orchid mantises! It's off that they aren't part bug, but I couldn't care less about it. Solar Blade looks like a physical counterpart of Solar Beam, hope it'll be useful.

- Minior is SO DAMN CUTE. Its ability looks promising, the fact that it's defensive before taking the attack and offensive after give it much more potential than the Zen Mode concept. Doesn't look like something powerful though, but we'll see.

-Mudbray is adorable. Nothing to add, I just like it being a donkey instead of another small horse/pony.

-Oricorio is an awesome concept. It's clearly inspired by birds of paradise, and the different dancing forms are a wonderful way of representing these magnificent birds in an original way. Not only that, but every form has an interesting and usable typing! Considering that it can change between each form, I think it'll have a pretty expanded movepool. Dancer is also a potentially incredible ability: switch on a predicted dragon/sword/quiver dance and proceed to sweep without even needing to set-up! Hope they'll have the right stats, absolutely love 'em. Looking forward Revelation Dance signature move, even if I've no clue of what it'll does (I hope it'll be an useful flying STAB).

- all the things about the Island trials looks absolutely interesting and fun! They looks much more fun and diverse than Gyms! "Captains" look like substitutes for Gym Leaders, while Kahuna look like the counterpart of E4. Totem Pokémon are interesting too, overall I can't wait to discover all these things in game! It also seems that the previous rumors are finding more and more evidence...

The more I think about, the more I realize that the Alola variants of Exeggutor and friends are basically cross-generation evolutions (like Electivire, Yanmega, etc.), but introduced in a way that doesn't render the old Pokemon as now-outclassed NFEs, which was one of the main criticisms people had against cross-gen evos in the first place (and why many people loved the concept of Mega Evolution over regular evolutions)

Well played, Game Freak. Well played
Yeah, this is a very strange but very nice cross and compromise between Megas and cross-gen evolutions... I like this. I'm liking this a lot.

Ugh, I'm definitely not a fan of the Alola-Forms... You have so much design space, which up to this point was really well used, but to give gen1 mons a complete overhaul eludes me.

Oh, and still no Dark-type revealed. Interesting.

Last edited:
Wow, there was so much new information in this reveal.

I like the Alola forms, kinda reminds me of variations in animals across climates, like you got regular hares and then you got arctic hares which look similar but are able to live in a colder climate. Although I don't think hares and arctic hares share the same species name like the Sandshrew forms probably do.

Fomantis and Lurantis look like they based off an Orchid Mantis, very cool. Was planning on Bounsweet being my grass type ingame, but I might have to go with Lurantis instead.

Z-moves are something else, would hope they're not too crazy although I don't want them to be useless either. I guess the "once per battle" rule is supposed to balance them.

I'm curious to learn of the community theories of what may become of the hatchlings - for instance, if one tries breeding a m/f original with a f/m alolan forme? I think there will be a 50/50 chance of getting either, because they're essentially subspecies of one another.

Also, with the introduction of Icetales, could that be an indication that an ice stone will be introduced or perhaps it will be evolved in the same manner as Eevee when acquiring a Glaceon?

One hunch I can't shake off, however, the original and alolan forme will be polar opposites as far as stat distribution is concerned

WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THESE NEWS

-Oricorio is an awesome concept. It's clearly inspired by birds of paradise, and the different dancing forms are a wonderful way of representing these magnificent birds in an original way. Not only that, but every form has an interesting and usable typing! Considering that it can change between each form, I think it'll have a pretty expanded movepool. Dancer is also a potentially incredible ability: switch on a predicted dragon/sword/quiver dance and proceed to sweep without even needing to set-up! Hope they'll have the right stats, absolutely love 'em. Looking forward Revelation Dance signature move, even if I've no clue of what it'll does (I hope it'll be an useful flying STAB).
Its signature move changes type according to the form.

Rain Dance
Unfortunately, that one is not a dance move in Japanese version of a game.

Although, I don't think anything is lost, because it's a Rain Dance of all things.

(there are no extra Dance moves in Japanese version however, I just checked)

Reactions: EV
Wow, I just saw all the news regarding Pokemon with different typing and forms and I think it's straight bs. Exeggutor is grass/dragon?! What the actual fuck. I mean some of them look kind of cool, but I feel like all these new forms just took an absolute shit on the Pokemon franchise in a very bad way.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I find the idea of Alola Forms really awesome, actually. I had advocated for something similar once (based on some Pokémon expressing area-exclusive pattern changes in the Anime), but I always thought it was going to be purely cosmetic. Instead, we find Game Freak once again using new mechanics to breathe new relevance into old-and-almost-discarded Pokémon.

The idea of complete type changes with Forms is also a good one, but I thought that was the stuff they'd use Mega Evolutions for. Tying Forms to hold items means complete flexibility with Form changes, with different Mega Stones adding different typings to the same Pokémon (As seen with Charizard and Mewtwo). Instead, they did the same in a completely different way, robbing Megas of that purpose. Oh well, I guess it could still be a thing. And either way, I'm all for Game Freak making old Pokémon relevant again. It keeps the "backlog" fresh, and reduces the need to constantly create more Pokémon. Here's hoping the Alola Forms also envelope some later-generation Pokémon. Since they weren't "refreshed" by Hidden Abilities, introduced after the "ban" on cross-generation evolutions, and almost forgotten in the Mega department, Gen V Pokémon in particular are due for some spruce-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)