Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
So wait, are there two Z-moves for each type? The Z-move shown on the stream has different animation than the animation of Gigavolt Havoc. Perhaps there's one physical and one special Z-Move for each type.
Not confirmed.
The move Pikachu used was the Normal Z move.

This just made me think, will the z moves be physical or special? I'm thinking it will match the types from before the physical/special split happened.

My opinion on this is: I like turtles! Jokes aside it has a nice typing and being able to use a Fire/Dragon that doesn't use the mega slot (Charizard X) or that is a legend (Reshiram) is awesome the concept is nice too it's supposed to punish phisical moves so it should have decent defense.

It also can voluntarily use its special trait with its own tail hitting the shell so to detonate it.

I don't think the design is bad is a turtle with a moustache and a spiky shell.

Last edited:
This may be a bit of wild speculation, but what if this thing evolves from Torkoal and the video was meant as a hint?
I was wondering that, but really they look absolutely nothing alike. I'm going to guess they're unconnected.

Also Shell Armor is Torkoal's Hidden Ability, and it's Turtonator's regular Ability. That would be weird.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Things just got more interesting with this reveal of the Z-Move interface. It's even bigger than the Mega button was, and since it's oddly shaped at the bottom that probably means the new Mega button will be relegated to the remaining space below it. At least, I assume the Mega button will appear in a different space than the Z-Move button, or else Rayquaza wouldn't be able to Mega Evolve while using a Z-Move.

Another detail this demo revealed is that Pikachu's use of the Normal Z-Move actually used Slam's PP, which just opens up more questions. If Slam had 0 PP for whatever reason before you decided to use your Z-Move, would it even work? If Pikachu knew a special Normal move in addition to Slam, would they both appear as this Hyper Sprint thing or does the base move category matter? If it were holding an Electric Z-Crystal instead would Thunder Wave be usable as the base? Plenty of possibilities here!

Things just got more interesting with this reveal of the Z-Move interface. It's even bigger than the Mega button was, and since it's oddly shaped at the bottom that probably means the new Mega button will be relegated to the remaining space below it. At least, I assume the Mega button will appear in a different space than the Z-Move button, or else Rayquaza wouldn't be able to Mega Evolve while using a Z-Move.

Another detail this demo revealed is that Pikachu's use of the Normal Z-Move actually used Slam's PP, which just opens up more questions. If Slam had 0 PP for whatever reason before you decided to use your Z-Move, would it even work? If Pikachu knew a special Normal move in addition to Slam, would they both appear as this Hyper Sprint thing or does the base move category matter? If it were holding an Electric Z-Crystal instead would Thunder Wave be usable as the base? Plenty of possibilities here!

I see it now... The fact that it uses the PP of Slam means that Z moves are directly affected by the move chosen. Hyper Sprint wouldn't make sense as a special attack, but makes perfect sense for a physical one. The fact that there is a second confirm screen suggests that there can be more than one variation of Z-moves. After all, you can only use it once per battle, and only hold one type at a time. There'd be no need for another confirmation unless there were more types of Z moves we have yet to see.

Have you guys noticed that normal Z-move did just a little over 50% damage to Rowlet? I'm thinking that the theory that Z-Moves take their properties straight from the move they replace may be correct. I mean, Slam isn't a very powerful move, especially on Pikachu.

Me a few minutes ago: "Oh yeah, there's new stuff today! I wonder what it will be. Oh, a non-Legendary Fire/Dragon? That's aweso..."

That is so ugly.
Wait, it's starting to grow on me. Is this the Pokémon equivalent to Stockholm Syndrome? Still, it's no Salandit, who is awesome.

Turtonator, huh?...

It certainly has my approval.

Must...reference...Doom's...reference:

And somewhere out there poor Torkoal is crying.

In all seriousness, Turtonator seems to be based on both the Kappa and the snapping turtle, while Torkoal is based on a tortoise. Still, it is a bit mean of Gamefreak to pull another Luvdisc/Almomola situation again on another pokemon that really could use some love.

The concept and typing are great! But I'm not in love with the design though. It's not horrible, but I can't say I like it either. I'll be sticking with Sandalit, thank you.

Edit*: Oh jeez I hadn't even seen the solo trailer yet to watch Torkoal get beat up the by the new ugly 'mon. Poor Torkoal, that's too cruel Gamefreak!

Last edited:
Didn't notice the z-move takes over the slot of an attack you choose, the turn you use it. I'm guessing this is how special or physical attack is going to be chosen for z-moves. It'll depend on what the attack you chose was.

Also, pretty crazy we're liking to get even more news at Pokemon Worlds tomorrow. I wasn't expecting a Pokemon reveal at Gamescom, so taking that into consideration I'm willing to bet a new Alolan form will be revealed tomorrow. Still crossing my fingers for the confirmation of Mega's since that's the type of Pokemon they reavealed previously.

Did anyone make the math to know the stats of Mimikyu or the rest based on Pikachu attacks/defenses?
I'd like to know too. It only did half to Pikachu, unfortunately, but Shadow Sneak isn't exactly the strongest move and it could have lower EVs/nature. I really think this Pokemon would be fantastic in HO if it had proper offenses and somewhat good speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)