Getting into Generation V. My first team of the Gen.

Well, here goes nothing I suppose. My first team of Generation V. I haven't played since Platinum, so I'm a bit rusty, but this team is currently at 1190 on Smogon's Pokemon Online Server. I've never been all that good at introductions, so without further ado, I'll get into the team, and my team building process.

Team at a glance.

New team at a glance:

Creative process:

Firstly, I decided I wanted Ferrothorn on my team, being a pretty beast wall.

Next, I decided to add Chandelure. They have great synergy.

Then I went with Vaporeon for even more support, which I'll get into later.

Next up was Excadrill, for some Rapid Spin support in conjunction with Vaporeon.

Now this is where the team gets a little shaky. I added Tyranitar for Sandstorm support for Excadrill and Garchomp for a Sandstorm sweeper.

Next, I noticed a glaring Fighting weakness, and replaced Chandelure with Reuniclus:

Now, to get into detail.

First up is Tyranitar

Tyranitar

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Special Attack / 252 Special Defense
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Crunch
-Superpower

I must admit, I am pretty fond of this thing, albeit I'm not sure if it belongs on this team. Tyranitar as a lead does two things for me: 1) Set up Stealth Rock and 2) Set up Sandstorm. After that, it does a fine job at eating Special Attacks thanks to 328 Special Defense plus a 50% boost in Sandstorm. Sassy Natures boosts its Special Defense while sacrificing some Speed, which Tyranitar already lacks to begin with, so its a minor loss. Fire Blast gets those damnable Steels, Crunch gives me STAB, and Superpower gets enemy Tyranitar. In addition to its general spot on my team, I must say I'm quite shaky of its EV spread. I'm not sure if going for pure bulk is a good thing or a bad thing.

Next, the shark of the sand, Garchomp

Garchomp

Item: Salac Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Swords Dance

If I'm uncertain of his position on the team, you must imagine my uncertainty of his moveset. SubSalac Swords Dance Chomp. My main strategy is to set up a Substitute, and between that and the now 80% accuracy all normally 100% accuracy moves are packing, get in as many Swords Dances as possible, try to trigger the Salac for a Speed boost, and put a dent in my enemy's team. I try to save this for later in the match, where Steel-Types are out of the picture. An Adamant Nature gives me more power which I feel I'd need more than Speed, since I'm already carrying a Salac Berry. Outrage and Earthquake are two powerful attacks, needless to say, that provide dual-STAB. I'm wondering if I should stick with Outrage, which has the drawback of confusion and taking a chunk out of my own HP as a result, or Dragon Claw, which looses power in exchange for the absences of such a fear.

Now for the vanishing, liquefying, Vaporeon

Vaporeon

Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Defense / 8 Special Defense
-Wish
-Scald
-Roar
-Protect

Ahh, Vaporeon has always been a long time favorite of mine. Massive HP, Wish support, respectable Special Attack, being a lightweight Water-Type. What's not to like? Vaporeon gives some synergy to Ferrothorn and Chandelure, who I mentioned I began with as a basis for my team, by being capable of eating Fire-Type, Ice-Type, and Water-Type attacks. However, Vaporeon's real selling point, is Wish. Ferrothorn is a great defensive Pokemon, and Tyranitar, as I mentioned, has been serving well at that job as well, however, both of these Pokemon lack a recovery move. (Although Ferrothorn does have Leech Seed.) With some Wish support and 248 HP EVs, Vaporeon creates 231 HP recoveries to be passed along. Protect allows Vaporeon to scout, stall, and get that recovery for itself as well, with Scald packing a STAB move with a nice 30% chance to burn the enemy. Roar switches out my opponent's Pokemon that may be trying to stat-up, or just shuffles their team in general for some nice residual damage from entry hazards. The EV spread gives Vaporeon a hefty amount of HP for Wish in addition to some durability.

REMOVED:

Now, for the fiery possessed chandelier, Chandelure.

Chandelure

Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
-Overheat
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fighting

I'm honestly just sitting around, twiddling my thumbs waiting for this thing to be banned. Good ol' Shadow Tag trapping + 150 base Special Attack + respectable Speed + respectable movepool + Choice Scarf = Great revenge killer. Chandelure's job is to come in on something that has been lured out by Ferrothorn or Vaporeon, and kill it. With 140 base power STAB for a heavy hit, or a base 80 STAB that threatens to lower the foe's Special Defense, in addition to covering some Water-Types with Energy Ball and Dark-Types with Hidden Power Fighting, it gets the job done. Granted, Chandelure can't switch in on everything, it is more useful coming in after something else on my team suffered an untimely death, but occasionally it is switched in during the heat of battle. I must admit, there is some indecisiveness in my selection of this set. I'm wondering if it would be more effective to switch in and trap something and boost up with Calm Mind.

REPLACED WITH:

The homunculus nucleus, Reuniclus.

Reuniclus

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Special Defense
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Calm Mind
-Recover

I must admit, I've been using this thing to some great success. I love his ability, I love his bulk, I love his Special Attack, the only thing not to like about this guy is his Speed. He can take a good hit or two like a champ, and heal back 212 HP with Recover. Once he starts using Calm Mind, he can proceed to rip things to shreds while tanking attacks like no one's business. Magic Guard is great, as it makes him immune to the Sandstorm without even having to be a Steel-Type, Rock-Type, or Ground-Type, and it can even take a status like Poison or Burn, or eat a Leech Seed without having to worrying about losing one point of health to it.

Now we have the basis for my team, the thorn in the sides, Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn

Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Defense / 172 Special Defense
-Power Whip
-Leech Seed
-Spikes
-Thunder Wave

Oh Ferrothorn. Good mixed wall stats, fair typing, a respectable ability, great movepool, what's not to like? Ferrothorn is annoying, simply put. It's one of the few Pokemon that can utilize Spikes, and I'm doing just that while Tyranitar utilizes Stealth Rocks for double entry hazards. Thunder Wave is grand for crippling my opponents since some of my Pokemon's Speed is mediocre on their own. Leech Seed sucks away my opponents HP, which between that, entry hazards, Sandstorm, and Iron Barbs can really build up over time, and Power Whip for some nice 120 base power STAB. I will say that I'm not really sure on its EV spread. I'm more inclined towards being more physically oriented because I kind of have Tyranitar to eat some Special Attacks already, although I'm not sure if I should just go all out physical wall or what to do. At any rate, I haven't really experienced many issues here, other than being occasionally trapped by a Chandelure, so I'm seriously considering a Shed Shell.

Now, last but not least, the steel drill mole, Excadrill

Excadrill

Item: Air Ballon
Ability: Sand Rush
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
-Swords Dance
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin

This guy is a monster. Nuff' said. Packing a good enough typing, 405 Attack, and doubled Speed in a Sandstorm, this thing isn't something to mess around with. After even just one Swords Dance, this guy outspeeds and rips apart just about everything that comes before it. Earthquake has good coverage, and even better, STAB, while Rock Slide helps deal with Flying-Types and what not. Even Rapid Spin hurts after a Swords Dance, but it's main purpose is to do away with entry hazards. I'm wondering if I'm using Excadrill for the wrong reasons. I think I want him to be more of a spinner while he's really more of a sweeper. He can come in a threatening Electric attack aimed at Vaporeon and Spin away hazards that most of my Pokemon don't like, but I'm not really sure if he's fitting for this role that I picked him out for. Once Excadrill is in, he needs to set-up. If I waste a turn using Rapid Spin, there's a chance he could be killed due to frailty, although his typing has saved me multiple times, but once he's gone, he's gone, obviously.

Problems / Issues: Issues with Fighting-Types are answered with Reuniclus, though I still find Gyarados to be moderately annoying. I also don't take status well (But I guess not many Pokemon do, right?), my best bet is to get Reuniclus inflicted with Poison or Burn and then try to block Paralysis and Sleep. I've also been experimenting with Jolly Swords Dance Yache Berry Garchomp, but I'm still not really sure if this is the way to go.

Well, I'm not very good at conclusions, so I'll just say go to town on ripping this thing to shreds. I appreciate your advice, assistance, and input, and thank you for your time.

i think your excadrill is a intersting set. It to me doesnt know what it hopes to accomplish. It has a air balloon with swords dance? From what i have seen in excadrill sets it is either run air baloon or run life orb+swords dance. Also what is up with rapid spin in there? If you have excadrill use rapid spin you use up a turn causing excadrill to take damage plus you take damage from life orb? As much as i like excadrill he is just way to fragile to be using up a turn on rapid spin. I suggest X-Scissor over rapid spin.

On Garchomp It is another intersting set. Garchomp in the sand is ment to sweep the snot out of people. Which is why i see swords dance there but what is substitute doing in there? I would prefer having more type coverage by adding another attack move.

As for ferrothorn this suggestion is just a matter of opinion. Replace leftovers with rocky helmet. It can stay as leftovers but that suggestion was merely to help dish out more damage to others.

On Vaporeon I would not reccomend HP electric i would just reccomend stalling gyarados out with Sandstorm. Hopefully the big fish is paralyzed from ferrothorn so it doesnt dish out as much. Also if you can switch to vaporeon while having a paralyzed fishy then just wish/protect and roar that fish away so when it comes back in it has to deal with spiks and stealth rocks

Hope i helped

What I am thinking is that Garchomp's moveset, nature and held item can be changed.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Fang

A Jolly Garchomp is much more effective when sweeping. As well, it is harder to be revenge killed. Salac Berry is ineffective because the chances of being below 1/4 HP is slim. An Ice Beam or HP Ice would often One Hit KO Garchomp. The Fire Fang is for many OU Steel Types such as Scizor, Lucario, and Ferrothorn. Earthquake, Outrage, and Swords Dance speaks for itself.

I'm a bit Fighting weak, I see that much now. How would Reuniclus fit into this team? Should I just replace Chandelure and make this a full blown Sandstorm team?

Reuniclus

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense
-Psychic
-Calm Mind
-Focus Blast
-Recover

Someone also mentioned Jellicent or Wish support Latias, what do you guys think?

I am a little confused. If you see a fighting type come in you just switch to chandelure and crushe the snot out of it, but you want to change it to reunicles?????? Chandelure can trap it and destroy it

Chandelure isn't really built to switch on too many things due to frailty, and Fighting-Types pack more than just Fighting-Type moves, and against the likes of Machamp or Conkledurr, Chandelure may not even be strong enough to kill them off with even Overheat, and they can easily Payback or Stone Edge me to my death.

well what im saying is if it is a fighting type you switch chandelure because fighting type moves have no effect on it. However Reunicles is another good option

Yeah Reuniclus is a good choice for this team, especially to cover the fighting-type issue, but in my experience Recover isn't the best move on him.

This set does really well for me:

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers (or LO since recoil is non-existent)
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room (Calm Mind for you, though Trick Room has helped me with Tar's speed, as well as Ferro)
- Protect (Scouting, etc)
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball (For other Psychic's, works better with TR, so Focus Blast might be better)

Yeah Reuniclus is a good choice for this team, especially to cover the fighting-type issue, but in my experience Recover isn't the best move on him.

This set does really well for me:

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers (or LO since recoil is non-existent)
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room (Calm Mind for you, though Trick Room has helped me with Tar's speed, as well as Ferro)
- Protect (Scouting, etc)
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball (For other Psychic's, works better with TR, so Focus Blast might be better)
So, if he's running CM, why not recover?
I think Reuniclus is a great idea. Use the CM/recover set, but with Psychic over psyshock-your team has a lot of physical attackers to beat those special walls away.
Use dragon claw over outrage on Chomp; if he's setting up a sub there's not much point in getting confused+stuck in one attack. Also consider life orb or leftovers over salac berry.
Good team, props for using Vappy =)

Thanks, I love Vaporeon. :D

At any rate, Dragon Claw on SubSalac Chomp does make more sense, but I'm not even sure if it's the way to go. I've been playing around with Jolly YacheChomp with Outrage, but I haven't really noticed any major difference between the two, other than SubSalac's ability to block status, and YacheChomp's ability to 2HKO Skarmory after a Swords Dance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)