Gligar

Gligar

Gligar is the pre-evo of glisor, one of the most used pokes in the ou meta game, and was a good wall last gen in uu. Now it gets evolate to boost it's defences even higher than gliscor's! Unfortunately, it does't get toxic heal and misses lefties recovery when uses eviolite. I could see it comboing well with sp.def empoleon.

-for the record i have not tested any sets

edit: I have tested the toxic staller and it works really well

Possible sets

Toxic staller
gligar @ Eviolite
impish
sand veil
252 hp 252 def 4 atk
Toxic
Roost
Earthquake
Taut/Steath Rock

This set aims to wall most physical attacks in pecticuler fighting types. To toxic is your main source of damage, and putts a timer on a sweeper. Earthquake so your not taut and so you can touch steels, not be taut bait and gligar has decent atk. Taut is to stop physical attackers to set up to point where the can touch you, where steath rock is steath rock

Baton Passer
gligar @ Eviolite
jolly/impish
hyper cutter
252 hp 4 def 252 spd/252 hp 176 def 176 sp def
Baton Pass
swords dance/rock polish/roost/taut/earthquake

This set is to baton pass rock polishes or swords dance or both. Earthquake so your not taut bait and roost for healing. Taut to taut others before they taut you. Bulky spread for when your passing rock polish and fast spread for swords dance (so you go before you taut)

Swords dance sweeper
gligar @ life orb/Eviolite
jolly/adament
hyper cutter
4 hp 252 atk 252 spd/ 252 hp 4 atk 252 spd
Swords dance
earthquake
stone edge
ice fang/roost

With lots of bulk, image a bulky set that can set up tons of swords dances and begin to sweep. Earthquake for stab, stone edge and ice fang for coverge and roost for healing.

For the toxic staller set, poison heal might be more useful as an ability, as with sand veil you have to use a Hippotas, which is meh, just for sandveil. Poison heal is better to take status hits, as then you can take both toxic and thunderwave and make a good status absorber.

breh

強いだね
THE SPELLING IT BURNS
Eviolite.
I have serious doubts this works with hail being everywhere.

For the toxic staller set, poison heal might be more useful as an ability, as with sand veil you have to use a Hippotas, which is meh, just for sandveil. Poison heal is better to take status hits, as then you can take both toxic and thunderwave and make a good status absorber.
Gligar does not get Poison Heal. It gets Immunity instead, but at the cost of Roost. And without Leftovers it definitely needs Roost.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
I have serious doubts this works with hail being everywhere.
Then you obviously haven't played one. With Eviolite, Gligar has over 500 Defense, making it one of the best physical walls in the UU metagame. It can even tank a CB V-create from Victini in Sun and KO back after the speed drop with EQ. Furthermore, it walls Heracross, Arcanine, Golurk, and various other top notch physical threats.

For sure one of the most annoying pokemon in UU. I actually started carrying Knock Off on my Escavalier just to take this thing down a notch. 500+ def/sp def and passable attack stat+roost and Toxic make him insanely annoying to take down while he has the stone. Even once it's knocked off, it takes a few hits to finally take him down, and by then they've countered whoever you have out for him. He works, and I loathe him more than Chansey.

Hes also a brilliant baton passer with such rediculous bulk, Rock Polish is usually a good option so someone cant switch in and taunt to block the baton pass, but he can do Swords dance too or sometimes both.

breh

強いだね
Then you obviously haven't played one. With Eviolite, Gligar has over 500 Defense, making it one of the best physical walls in the UU metagame. It can even tank a CB V-create from Victini in Sun and KO back after the speed drop with EQ. Furthermore, it walls Heracross, Arcanine, Golurk, and various other top notch physical threats.
So what does victini have to do with hail?

I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Gligar had +1 SpD and max/max+; opponent spreads were simply max SpA but no + nature. Kyurem used Blizzard.
161.7% - 191.6%
Kyurem used Ice Beam.
129.3% - 152.1%
Abomasnow used Ice Beam.
100.6% - 119.8%

I see a trend here. I realize it outspeeds the latter, but without getting idiotically lucky with roost and no crits, it's not getting by any ice pokemon. Abomasnow was my choice because it has probably the lowest SpA of anything on a hail team bar Frosslass and Walrein.

EDIT: I realize it walls a lot of stuff, but is it really worth it if it's forced out by literally any ice type in the metagame?

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
His point was that despite hail being prevalent Gligar is still viable and potent, NOT that gligar is good against hail, jesus. His victini example was showing how it fares against a common threat in the metagame, a completely valid point.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Gligar had +1 SpD and max/max+; opponent spreads were simply max SpA but no + nature. Kyurem used Blizzard.
161.7% - 191.6%
Kyurem used Ice Beam.
129.3% - 152.1%
Abomasnow used Ice Beam.
100.6% - 119.8%

I see a trend here. I realize it outspeeds the latter, but without getting idiotically lucky with roost and no crits, it's not getting by any ice pokemon. Abomasnow was my choice because it has probably the lowest SpA of anything on a hail team bar Frosslass and Walrein.
Thats why it's a team of 6 pokemon not just gligar. Regardless i've found this the toxic stalling set very efective. I comunly pair him up with sp defsive empoleon to take those ice hits. I'm not looking for a fight but I'm just saying.

Gligar is to Gliscor as Emboar is to Arcanine.

It can sort of do the same things as Gliscor but not as good or as effectively.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Gligar is to Gliscor as Emboar is to Arcanine.

It can sort of do the same things as Gliscor but not as good or as effectively.
Gliscor abused Poison Heal. Gligar is a physical wall that doesn't get Poison Heal. A Pokemon without Poison heal can't do what a Pokemon with Poison Heal does.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion

161.7% - 191.6%
Kyurem used Ice Beam.
129.3% - 152.1%
Abomasnow used Ice Beam.
100.6% - 119.8%

EDIT: I realize it walls a lot of stuff, but is it really worth it if it's forced out by literally any ice type in the metagame?
rofl that's a totally idiotic post. I could say the same exact thing about Scizor and Fire-types, yet it still holds it's own in OU. Of course you're not going to stay in on Ice-type moves, everything has it's counters y'know. That's also the reason why you have, wait for it... a grand total of 5 other Mons on the team that can deal with threats that Gligar can't handle!!!!

rofl that's a totally idiotic post. I could say the same exact thing about Scizor and Fire-types, yet it still holds it's own in OU. Of course you're not going to stay in on Ice-type moves, everything has it's counters y'know. That's also the reason why you have, wait for it... a grand total of 5 other Mons on the team that can deal with threats that Gligar can't handle!!!!
Let's keep it civil please.

What he was saying (if you read his FIRST post) is that unless the rest of your team deals with HAIL well, then Gligar doesn't work. He believes that hail is really common in this metagame, and was pointing out that Gligar fails against hail teams.

Regardless, I think the point is invalid, because, as other people have stated, you DO have 5 other Pokemon, and losing Gligar to the odd hail team shouldn't cripple you. If you're using the toxic stall set, you should be able to get the first hit in on a Stallrein/Kyurem or something and incapacitate it before Gligar dies. Hail IS rather prevalent- I have faced it in 50 of my 185 laddering battles (roughly 31%), so it DOES need to be accounted for.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
He believes that hail is really common in this metagame (I don't)
[...]
Hail IS rather prevalent- I have faced it in 50 of my 185 laddering battles (roughly 31%), so it DOES need to be accounted for.
I love self-contradiction; don't you?

Although the calcs he present were not relevant, Breludicolo's main point stands. Gligar can wall a lot of Physical attackers, but it's dangerous because any Ice attacker (which are "rather prevalent") gets essentially a free turn to spam Blizzard or set up substitutes whenever Gligar appears.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
I did look at his first post, and it looks to me that his main point isn't that hail is prevalent, but rather that gligar is unusable due to hail's presense, which is absurd. The risk of running into counters stands for every single Pokemon out there, all you have to do is switch out of said counters lol.

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I am pretty sure that fatty was just stating the pros that Gligar had versus some of the top threats of UU, it doesn't necessarily have to do with hail. You stated that Gligar would not work anywhere in the tier with hail being all over; however fatty was just trying to say that it works in walling top tier threats like Heracross. Also, what do each of these sets do? Shouldn't you have a few points on each set as to what its basic usage if for at least and maybe some common teammates? You don't have to go in depth about what your EVs are for or anything, but some of the basics on what the sets are for would be nice. It would help you start to write the analysis paragraphs as well.

I am pretty sure that fatty was just stating the pros that Gligar had versus some of the top threats of UU, it doesn't necessarily have to do with hail. You stated that Gligar would not work anywhere in the tier with hail being all over; however fatty was just trying to say that it works in walling top tier threats like Heracross. Also, what do each of these sets do? Shouldn't you have a few points on each set as to what its basic usage if for at least and maybe some common teammates? You don't have to go in depth about what your EVs are for or anything, but some of the basics on what the sets are for would be nice. It would help you start to write the analysis paragraphs as well.
Just explaned my sets. Enjoy!

I have a suggestion for the Toxic Staller set - Agility/RP. As with Deoxys-D, it allows Gligar to Taunt any Taunters who lack Prankster. However, Gligar boasts better typing, HP and defense (with Evolite) at the cost of an inconsequential 10 speed and Leftovers.

As for criticisms, the BP set is too cluttered. I'd just have the moves as...

Gligar (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rock Polish
- Taunt / Substitute
- Swords Dance / Roost
- Baton Pass

EVs here aren't really important... just enough to get all the free defence points and the rest thrown into SpD. There's probably something that works better. Earthquake is useless coming off 186 Atk, even with an SD boost. Seems best to just take a leaf out of BP Mew's book and RP on the switch, Taunt or Sub as they try to stop you and then grab a SD boost before passing. Roost is an option over SD, but not that important.

Going back on the point about his low Atk, I dont think SD sets are worth the trouble. Without any investment he's weak even at +6, and with investment he doesn't have the bulk to get more than a single SD.

even still i find gliscor better because poison heal is just to good to pass up and not even having leftys doesn't help gligar at all. still i use gligar from time to time, just because it is a pretty good uu wall. its just that gliscor really does outclass gligar

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
even still i find gliscor better because poison heal is just to good to pass up and not even having leftys doesn't help gligar at all. still i use gligar from time to time, just because it is a pretty good uu wall. its just that gliscor really does outclass gligar
STOP. you mentioned ferrothorn in a uu thread as well iirc, GLISCOR IS OU.
i've told you about three times to make informed posts in a civil manner and not once have you heeded my advice, please do so henceforth.

anyway, despite not having a fighting resist i do enjoy tangela as my physical wall more due to leech seed and regenerator and being a bigger prick in general.

edit: OP you may want to fix up some of the sets, too many slashes for baton pass / swords dance sweeper is unfeasible really / many grammatical and spelling errors / EVs are fucked up for some of the sets, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)