Lower Tiers Good Cores in ORAS NU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Floatzel @ Life Orb | Water Veil
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Hydro Pump / Taunt / Ice Beam / Focus Blast

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf | Scrappy
40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe | Adamant
Fake Out / Double-Edge / Earthquake / Sucker Punch

This offensive core absolutely trounces common Pokemon in the tier right now. Typhlosion has shifted the meta to the point where offensive Pokemon are really fast or have priority and defensive Pokemon are super fat, and this core takes advantage of that. Floatzel is faster than pretty much every currently relevant offensive Pokemon barring Sneasel, which it ties with, and Swellow, both of which Kangaskhan handles well anyways. Otherwise, Floatzel is amazing against all of Tauros, Scyther, Pyroar, Typhlosion, and Archeops. It also does decently well against bulkier teams thanks to Taunt. Kangaskhan is a powerhouse that easily barrels through almost the entire tier on its own, and the things that it cannot beat are handled easily by Floatzel, barring the occasional Cradily. Aside from Cradily, Mega Audino is troublesome for this core, though it can't set up on Floatzel, and Ferroseed is annoying but manageable (not that any of these three Pokemon are particularly difficult to take advantage of).

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
A pretty simple core:

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe or 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Substitute
- Gear Grind
- Return

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Klinklang is one of the best sweepers in the meta, but it's fairly easily checked by Ground-types and Lanturn, in addition to some other Water-types. Rotom coincidentally lures both of these, and is able to whittle them down easily throughout the match through Will-O-Wisp, repeated Shadow Balls, and Trick. Klinklang also appreciates its ability to handle Water-types. More dedicated lure Rotom sets (i.e. Specs, Hex) partner better with Klinklang, but Scarf is the most all-around useful set. Synergy-wise, they provide decent Normal and Flying checks, and Rotom appreciates Klinklang's ability to switch into Fairy- and Grass-types. Both of them struggle against stuff like Liepard and Hidden Power Fire Vilepume, in addition to Lanturn and most Ground-types as while they whittle them down throughout the match they can't outright beat them right away, but these weaknesses aren't hard to fix, and the reward is a core that can reliably succeed against most teams.

+

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Grass]

SD Mawile is super good in this Sneasel and Mega Audino infested meta finding ample opportunities to set up with its good typing. Klingklang too can be work in this place. Anyway few defensive stops to this Mawile set are Ferroseed, Gourgeist, Quagsire, Klingklang etc who are handled very well by Magmortar. This core appreciates Thunder Wave support because its quite slow but they can fit on offense too which allows to switchin. For example, Mawile can switchin on Sneasel which is dreadful for offense to face while Magmortar is very tanky with Assault vest. Mawile is Jolly to beat Rest talk Malamar and other neutral base 55 but if your team has a good answer to them, then Adamant is always better. Yeah, a large portion of my teams right now are Steel + Fire due to the metagame threats like Sneasel and Audino and this core is a good example of that.

Reactions: nv

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+

Offensive Core

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Interestingly enough, two of the newest drops to NU actually pair pretty well with each other both offensively and defensively. Fletchinder is able to cover the majority of Magneton's weaknesses and vice versa. In addition, both of these pokemon have a fair number of options available to them when it comes to their choices of items and moveset, these are just the sets that I've been trying out the most. Fletchinder's only attacking move in Acrobactics means that it greatly appreciates Magnet Pull support to weaken or knock out steel type Pokemon. Meanwhile Magneton's weakness to common attacking types such as ground, fire, and fighting allows Fletchinder to either get a free switch in, or threaten out the opposing mon for a free set up with Swords Dance. Some good compliments for this particular core would be some type of water resist, and most definitely hazard support to keep either member of the core from getting too worn down from switching in.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If it wasn't clear, you may post cores with the new drops and such.

As for this post to have substance, here is a solid offensive core that is really effective.

+

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Fletchinder
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Fletchinder and Kabutops have excellent offensive synergy for various reasons. Kabutops is troubled by Grass and Fighting types, which Fletchinder threatens with its STAB Acrobatics and can use the opportunity to set up Swords Dances. Kabutops also pressures bulky Rock and Ground type Pokemon such as Rhydon and Regirock which are problematic for Fletchinder, as even burned Rock type moves deal massive damage if not outright OHKO Fletchinder. In addition, Kabutops spins away Stealth Rock for Fletchinder which chips away half of its HP, as taking as little residual damage as possible is important for Fletchinder. From a general standpoint, Kabutops wallbreaks with its high Attack and strong dual STABs early game for Fletchinder to clean up afterwards. In regards to teammates, a check to Electric type Pokemon is necessary, so the likes of Lanturn, Rhydon, Stunfisk, etc are helpful.

Updating the archive, quite surprised nobody posted any cores with Seismitoad.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'll make a contribution to this I think with this nice FWG balance core of Fletchinder, Lanturn and Lilligant!

+
+

Fletchinder
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic/Thunder Wave

Lilligant @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder

The FWG core philosophy is old, so I won't lecture everyone with how each type works in synergy with the others, but I'll talk a bit about how the secondary types create synergy for this core. Lanturn and Fletch create a nice Flying/Electric core here too, Fletch switches in on Earthquakes targeting Lanturn, and Lanturn switches in on water and electric type attacks aimed at Fletchinder, simple stuff. Lilligant works here to scare out Rhydons by setting up or clicking giga drain because Rhydon can threaten both Lanturn and Fletchinder very easily, bu Fletch can win a prediction war and use Will-O-Wisp, either way, Rock Polish is scary.

Offensively, Fletchinder deals with the likes of Lilligant and Vivillon as well as Cacturne which the other two would previously struggle with. Lanturn can cripple the likes of Scyther for Lilligant with Thunder Wave, Fletchinder also deals with it. Thunder Wave is in general good support for the other two, especially as it allows Lilligant to be less scared of Sneasel, Pyroar, Archeops etc, and Fletch outspeeds fast priority users like Sneasel when paralyzed. What else is there to say, HP Fire deals with Ferroseed for the other two to do their jobs better, Heal Bell provides overall team support, same with Will-O-Wisp, overall a really nice FWG core in this new metagame, enjoy.

Orphic~

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Psychic

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sleep Powder

Lure Mega Audino's main purpose is to lure out traditional stops to the regular CM RestTalk set and smash them with its versatile coverage. Of course, forgoing RestTalk on a boosting mon without any recovery seems like wasted potential. First off, don't Mega Evolve immediately you dingus, and scout the waters first with Calm Mind or just throw out an unSTAB Dazzling Gleam now and then; don't reveal Audino's coverage moves on non-targets or you'll alert the opponent and blow the surprise. The surprise factor is important because if you manage to nail Mega Audino's checks with the appropriate coverage move, that's one less problem for Lilligant to deal with.

Lilligant's biggest flaw is that it cannot deal with its checks with a single Hidden Power. However, most of Lilligant's checks coincide with checks for CM RestTalk Mega Audino, and Mega Audino just happens to have access to the sort of coverage Lilligant wants to handle its checks. With Mega Audino luring out Poison-types, Steel-types, and even the occasional Fire-type (you don't really need Surf on Mega Audino to do solid damage to them via boosted Psychic), the only coverage move Lilli needs at this point would be Ice, which mainly hits Flying-types while maintaining coverage on fellow Grass-types which aren't so easily lured by Mega Audino. Heck, Lilligant can even lure some bothersome threats for Mega Audino; Xatu usually beats Mega Audino in Calm Mind wars every single time, but if it gets lulled into a +1 HP Ice from Lilligant it can get taken out of the picture and Mega Audino lets its fatness do the rest, if Lilligant doesn't threaten to sweep from there.

Heya guys,

I have been having a lot of success with a particular defensive core lately and I wanted to share it with you. If it isn't up to standard or just not any good, please let me know and I will edit this post.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

These two guys have been serving me very well lately, being able to cover each others threats nicely. Gourgeist eats up the fighting and water moves that would usually destroy Regirock, while Regi shruggs off the flying and fire moves Gourgeist struggles with. I feel like Regirock is a really good wall right now. He sets rocks and eats up stuff like it's nothing, while being able to dish out respectable damage. Gourgeist can cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp while Regi is able to slow threats down with Thunder Wave. I run Seed Bomb over Foul Play to deal with Quagsire and Carracosta who both dismantle Regirock, but it can be swapped out according to your team's needs. This core appreciates something that can switch into a knock off, because Gourgeist is weak to it and Regirock has no recovery other than leftovers, so pairing Fletchinder with these guys might be a good idea. While neither of the two are particularly weak to entry hazards, hazard control in general is important, so adding stuff like Xatu/Mantine/Pelipper/Claydol/Kabutops works well. This also gives the opportunity to form a nice FWG-Core if you decide to run with Fletchinder. Togetic is an option too, offering another fighting check, a reliable answer to malamar, and the option to run another T-Wave or even Heal Bell.

About the EV spreads:
Regirock lives Choice Banded Adamant Sawk's CC and eats 3 instead of 2 hits from Specs Pyoar HP Grass. The rest was put into attack because he ends up throwing out Stone Edge's frequently enough to make it worth it. Gourgeist lives 2 Fireblasts from Tauros, which has been a really common threat lately. This usually means I get both Will-O-Wisp and a Synthesis up, which, in addition to Life Orb, racks up a lot of damage.

So yeah. That's the core. Let me know what you guys think and if there's anything to improve.

Last edited:
This is a really effective core I have been using lately

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer
- Synthesis/Stone Edge

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]/Hidden Power [Fire]

Magneton has a few selected counters in NU, those are Lanturn, Stunfisk and Electivire. Torterra helps Magneton by checking all three of them very well with it's ability to any move those counters to Magneton choose to go for, it also provides stealth rocks which help Magneton for cleaning up late game. Things torterra struggle against are also helped by Magneton which can hit the things Torterra can't. Items like specs and eviolite also have there uses on Magneton for specific mons. Overall a pretty good core that just increases Magnetons amazing viability in NU.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I wanted to piggyback off of Adaire's post with a core of my own lol...

+

Torterra @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis

Fletchinder
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance

Since Magneton and Fletchinder share a few checks (Stunfisk and Lanturn), I felt Torterra and Fletchinder would be an amazing pairing as Torterra can set up rocks, has reliable recovery, and beats everything that beats Fletchinder, such as Regirock, Rhydon, Mawile, Lanturn, Stunfisk, and Magneton. Fletchinder also provides a powerful 110 BP priority as well as utility in Will-o-Wisp to keep things in check. They also have amazing defensive synergy alongside their offensive synergy with Torterra being immune to Electric and resisting Rock while being neutral to Water and Fletchinder being 4x resisted to Bug, resistant to Fire, and neutral to Ice.

P.S. Tort + Fletch + Magnets is a cool af core but I didn't wanna "add" onto Adaire's post, but rather put my own spin on it lol.

+

Torterra @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis

Fletchinder
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance

Since Magneton and Fletchinder share a few checks (Stunfisk and Lanturn), I felt Torterra and Fletchinder would be an amazing pairing as Torterra can set up rocks, has reliable recovery, and beats everything that beats Fletchinder, such as Regirock, Rhydon, Mawile, Lanturn, Stunfisk, and Magneton. Fletchinder also provides a powerful 110 BP priority as well as utility in Will-o-Wisp to keep things in check. They also have amazing defensive synergy alongside their offensive synergy with Torterra being immune to Electric and resisting Rock while being neutral to Water and Fletchinder being 4x resisted to Bug, resistant to Fire, and neutral to Ice.

P.S. Tort + Fletch + Magnets is a cool af core but I didn't wanna "add" onto Adaire's post, but rather put my own spin on it lol.
Funnily enough, I build a team around Adaire's core and ended up using Torterra, too. It's specially defensive, though, and is paired with Sneasel, Swagsire and Kabutops. The team works really well at the moment, I urge you to try it.

Reactions: nv

+

Torterra @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis

Fletchinder
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance

This is a really effective core I have been using lately

Torterra @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer
- Synthesis/Stone Edge

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]/Hidden Power [Fire]

Magneton has a few selected counters in NU, those are Lanturn, Stunfisk and Electivire. Torterra helps Magneton by checking all three of them very well with it's ability to any move those counters to Magneton choose to go for, it also provides stealth rocks which help Magneton for cleaning up late game. Things torterra struggle against are also helped by Magneton which can hit the things Torterra can't. Items like specs and eviolite also have there uses on Magneton for specific mons. Overall a pretty good core that just increases Magnetons amazing viability in NU.
Any of you ever heard of Ice Beam Lanturn

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Any of you ever heard of Ice Beam Lanturn
0 SpA Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 236-280 (59.8 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Torterra Wood Hammer vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 420-494 (104.7 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 192+ SpD Torterra: 176-208 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

64 Atk Torterra Wood Hammer vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 324-384 (80.7 - 95.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Specs obviously wins but has to predict and Torterra can play around bulky Lanturn w/ Ice Beam (which is not that common rn) while Fletch can burn Lanturn and proceed to get damage on it (even with Heal Bell).

Nice core, really solid synergy between the two. Only problem is that the two can be somewhat weak to bulky setup sweepers that avoid or dont mind status like Mega Audino, Musharna, and even Lilligant to an extent.
Also it'd be very helpful if you made the sets PS importable so its easier to c/p when teambuilding.
You're right in that the two are somewhat suspectible to setup sweepers, but I try bulding my teams around that by including a bunch of priority which in general just feels really good in this offensive meta we're in. I'm on a run right now, but I'll edit the sets to be importable later today.

oh is this thread active again? ok time to drop some stuff then.

Offensive Core
+

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Sub CM Uxie + Trapper Magneton is a really cool offensive core. Each baits in mons that the other can handle fairly easily, while Magneton also traps the Steels that can completely wall sub CM uxie. In turn, uxie gets up a free sub on pretty much every mon that beats Magneton outside of powerful stuff like Torterra, including mons like Stunfisk and Lanturn. The 2 also have decent defensive synergy as Uxie can take the fighting and ground moves aimed at magneton. Specs is the preffered item on magneton because it needs to run Timid to have a better chance at trapping other magneton, and timid eviolite without analytic is too weak for my liking. The spread for Uxie is just something I made myself, it lets uxie never have its sub broken by Ferroseed's Knock Off and Gyro Ball, with enough speed to outspeed Jolly Kabutops. I don't really like how weak sub CM uxie is normally so i just threw the rest in SpAtk and it ended up being 252 :o. This core struggles a bit with bulky boosters like Musharna and Malamar so it would be good to pair it with something that beats those.

Offensive Core
+
/

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Stone Edge / Taunt
- Earthquake

Fletchinder
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Gurdurr + Bird is a cool offensive core because Gurdurr has really good offensive synergy with both mons. Gurdurr can come in on stuff like Rhydon and Stunfisk that normally checks both birds, as well as stuff like Physical Samurott and Sneasel that are more offensive checks to archeops and fletch. Gurdurr also appreciates bulky poisons being worn down through either burn, or eq from chops in order to clean late game. Both really fun cores for you guys to try out.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 96 Def / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Whirlpool/Discharge/Hydro Pump

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp/Memento
- Taunt/Memento

A great core to start an offensive team. This core tanks a great deal of major threats of the meta and offers some nice opportunities for other set up mons and wallbreakers to get free switch-ins thanks to volt swtich, healing wish, will-o-wisp and memento if you choose to use it.
Now that seismitoad is gone, I like to run whirlpool on lanturn simply because it surprises opponents and can trap and help kill opposing lanturn which usualy kill you because AV<leftovers in a lanturn battle. Discharge can be used if you prefer having a non switching electric stab and hydro for more power (but by experience I didn't need that very often).
I like running mesprit modest to nab the ohko on sneasel after rocks and after he's failed to kill you with knock off thanks to colbur. Timid however will let you outspeed all non scarf malamars to get the ohko with signal beam (colbur also works against him though so I prefer modest).
Taunt on weezing is my way of dealing with wishpassing and restalking megadinos and works wonderfully (I weezing swept 4 mons the other day thanks to taunt :P) Memento can also be used if you're into the set up opportunity concept.

Note that this core hits exclusively on the special side so you can go with a physical mesprit if you feel it makes your team unbalanced but you can also see it as an opportunity to team the core with 3 strong physical attackers that won't have to worry about getting switch-in opportunities or fitting stealth rock in their move set (some should carry priority though)

If 3 mons are too much, the core can be simplified with uxie over weezing and mesprit but expect less longetivity (lots of pressure on uxie) and the loss of healing wish

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
shoutouts to icy wind lanturn. allows you to hit offensive switch-ins and slow them down for either a faster volt switch or an easier time forcing switches. gotta put some extra emphasis on hazard removal though because no leftovers on lanturn and levitate on your poison-type inherently makes you weak to tspikes unless you weaken the team's defensive synergy with a second poison-type. good core tho!

Balanced Core

+

This is a core actually fun to use, it was one of the first that I used after the shift, both act covering the weaknesses of each other and giving supporting with entry hazards and status moves. Lanturn deals with the types that cause problems Torterra, fire, ice and Flying while Torterra switch in ground moves without problem. This core has a good synergy and proved pretty solid in the current meta with recent drops.

Torterra @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb
- Synthesis/Stone Edge

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam/Heal Bell
- Toxic/Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Scald

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Reviving this with a really solid core that was showcased in QueenOfLuvdiscs' RMT :o
also because I'm bored at 2am

+

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch

Can't really say this core is super new or innovative haha, just wanted to get more Garbodor cores in the archive bc its such a good Pokemon currently and there's like, what, one? Anyways, the premise of this core is pretty straightforward, get up hazards (preferably tspikes) with Garbodor and proceed to fire off powerful attacks from Kangaskhan. Toxic Spikes + Fake Out is such a good combination simply because Fake Out racks up potential Toxic damage on the opposing Pokemon, and to top it off, Kangaskhan can deal a nice chunk to most Poison-types that absorb tspikes with Earthquake or even Double Edge if you're feeling risky. From a synergy standpoint, Garbodor is useful to check Fighting types such as Hariyama and Gurdurr that pose a threat to Kangaskhan. Lastly, while Kangaskhan is really strong, it really appreciates entry hazards to inch out some extra 2HKOs such as 2HKOing Gurdurr (the bulkier ones) after rocks + a spike with Double Edge and maybe a few others.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reviving this with a really solid core that was showcased in QueenOfLuvdiscs' RMT :o
also because I'm bored at 2am

+

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch

Can't really say this core is super new or innovative haha, just wanted to get more Garbodor cores in the archive bc its such a good Pokemon currently and there's like, what, one? Anyways, the premise of this core is pretty straightforward, get up hazards (preferably tspikes) with Garbodor and proceed to fire off powerful attacks from Kangaskhan. Toxic Spikes + Fake Out is such a good combination simply because Fake Out racks up potential Toxic damage on the opposing Pokemon, and to top it off, Kangaskhan can deal a nice chunk to most Poison-types that absorb tspikes with Earthquake or even Double Edge if you're feeling risky. From a synergy standpoint, Garbodor is useful to check Fighting types such as Hariyama and Gurdurr that pose a threat to Kangaskhan. Lastly, while Kangaskhan is really strong, it really appreciates entry hazards to inch out some extra 2HKOs such as 2HKOing Gurdurr (the bulkier ones) after rocks + a spike with Double Edge and maybe a few others.
Great core, also showcased in my recent team in the sample teams thread n_n certainly one I'd recommend it will get you a lot of success

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Def / 240 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head / Toxic

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

This core has been working out for me well recently. Lanturn takes special water and fire hits which murk both Mawile and Weezing. It also takes electric hits. Mawile takes psychic type attacks and normal attacks which Weezing and Lanturn dislike. And Weezing takes fighting hits + ground hits which Lanturn and Mawile dislike.

EV spread for Lanturn: i believe i stole this spread from someone, it maxmizes bulk on each defensive stat iirc.
EV spread for Mawile: max defense allows it to "handle" Tauros, Archeops and completely shut down Sneasel. Also gives me stealth rock.
EV spread for Weezing: its fast taunt weezing to handle Malamar. You can adjust ev spread to take fighting hits better if you have an answer to Malamar already.

Lastly, this core is nice because Lanturn + Mawile keep up momentum. Shoutout hollywood for always ending call on me because i kept suggesting defensive mons that gave up momentum.

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+
+

Might as well post my core with Lanturn, since everyone else has.

This a really solid defensive core that does a decent job of checking top tier threats in this metagame such as Fletchinder, Magneton, and Sneasel. This core is really easy to throw on teams that need hazard support because Sandslash is a surprisingly reliable Rapid Spin user. The core is also able to keep up momentum if you choose to use it on a more balanced or bulky offensive team thanks to Volt Switch and Baton Pass. I personally prefer a more offensive Sandslash bulid, but a physically defensive set can be utilized if you prefer that. The core struggles with Fighting-types such as Sawk and Gurdurr to an extent, so supplementing with a Psychic- or Flying-type such as Scyther or Mesprit can really help you out in that matchup. Have fun boys.

Sandslash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Lantur @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 188 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 188 Def / 216 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Super Fang
- Baton Pass

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core - Banded Sneasel + Bulk up Gallade

+

Remilia (Sneasel) @ Choice Band
Ability: Keen Eye
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Meiling (Gallade) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Zen Headbutt
- Safeguard

Two of the strongest threats in NU what could possibly go wrong? After NU was bestowed with Gallade due to usage, I've been playing around with this savage a decent amount, and felt like trying out a Bulk up set on Gallade due to how threatening it can be once it gets one or two boosts under its belt. Sneasel is a good partner due to it being the tried and true psychic slayer in the tier, all of which Gallade struggles to get past with just its stab moves. Sneasel set is standard so not much to say about that. The Gallade set is rather interesting, Bulk Up like mentioned already, Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt for stab though I guess you can use Psycho Cut if you're into that sort of thing. Finally I decided to try Safeguard on the last moveslot since it is a rather underrated option imo, and I've seen used it with pretty good results since the immunity to status helps Gallade to keep a sweep going. 176 evs in speed help to set up on neutral natured base 70's and below and the rest into hp and defense to maximize bulk.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sawk + Haunter Offensive Core

And underrated mon in NU without a doubt is haunter, i've seen rarely in ladder so ill try out to get reqs and for my surprise is actually really good, this mon with life orb hit like a truck Shadow Ball + Sludge Wave is all coverage u need to hit absolutly everything in the tier the only problem is if u use scarf haunter u lose some power on on top of that u can be set up fodder for like Dual Dance Dino if u are lock in Sludge wave or something like that due to Haunter is not that strong. LO haunter is easily check for fast normal types or dark types, Like Tauros and Sneasel that are very common now on days so to help this mon is ScarfSawk, scarf isnt very common but now on days is really usefull still running adamant u outspeed this mon that threat Haunter and HKO, due to this monster is scarf not many set up mon can set up on this because is way to strong STAB CC is nothing to mess around, also psichic types, fairies, poison types are the common switch ins for this monster which haunter beats very reliable like Pixis, Garbodor, Weezing, Vileplume,Grandbull,etc. here the sets.
Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Pain Split
- Taunt / Substitute / Will-o-Wisp / Destiny Bond

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy / Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Earthquake

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

This core is mainly Carracosta + Ferroseed + Fighting resist. In this case i happened to use Weezing. Carracosta is so good right now as it beats Archeops, Tauros, and Sneasel while providing utility in Stealth rock. Carracosta handles fire types as well. Ferroseed handles waters and psychics which Carracosta dislikes. Ferroseed also provides spikes and a grass resist. Lastly is my choice of fighting resist. Weezing also gives me a ground immunity. The spread allows me to outspeed Malamar in order to "deal with it". T-spikes helps me stack even more hazards. The core is solid, i like it a lot n_n

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)