Other Metagames Grassy Terrain Offense - Vaporemons [Peaked at #4 on ladder]

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey everyone, G-Luke here. Making this RMT to promote Vaporemons, the new Pet Mod of the Season that got its debut on Showdown earlier this month and also just help generate discussion on my team in particular.
Welcome to VaporeMons, the third mod in the SylveMons series! Like JolteMons last generation, this mod looks to add and change moves, items, and abilities to create a more interesting Gen 9 OU metagame. Pokémon can also be given non-stat adjustments.

Let's get some quick changes between the rules of OU and VaporeMons out of the way, as they'll be important for how you build and play the metagame.

- Terastalization is banned - Feel free to Close Combat into that Kingambit without fear of if becoming a Fairy-type, as Terastalization was banned at the start of VaporeMons' existence. There does exist a similar mechanic in the Tera Shard item, but it crucially doesn't activate whenever you want it to, so you'll never have to deal with a surprise type change.
- Light Clay is banned - Due to the presence of a number of great setup sweepers in the tier and changes to Roaring Moon that specifically make it amazing in Snow (more on that later), Light Clay ended up being banned soon after Ninetales-A was released. Thus, you won't really see screens in this metagame.
- A number of Ubers are unbanned - Whether it was because of Terastalization's ban, specific voted-in nerfs, or Pokeon that got banned in OU after the start of VaporeMons that aren't broken here, a number of Pokemon banned in OU are present in VaporeMons, with varying degrees of viability. They are discussed more in detail in a later section, but they include: Regieleki, Volcarona, Espathra, Palafin, Landorus, Magearna, Ogerpon-Hearthflame, Roaring Moon, and Sneasler.

For more details on what's good and what's different in Vaporemons, check out this post and the resources attached to it.

Well without further adou, here is the team!

:ogerpon-hearthflame::corviknight::iron-hands::Iron-moth::rillaboom::Gengar:

:ogerpon-hearthflame:
:ss/ogerpon-hearthflame:
Ogerpon-Hearthflame (F) @ Hearthflame Mask
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Ivy Cudgel
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

In a metagame without Tera, Ogerpon is free to rampageyou, and make no mistake, even without Tera it is an absolute menace for offensive teams to face. This is the team's Spikes setter, and Ogerpon-H excels in the role due to it having a positive matchup versus most of the tiers standard hazard control sans Court Change Cinderace and Delphox in particular. Spikes is pretty important to help wear down bulky and offensive teams alike, and in combination with the offensive pressure it applies it bullies alot of squads. Dual STAB in Ivy Cudgel and Power Whip maximizes Oger's damage output, which is important for it to put the opposing threats in a bind. Knock Off seals the deal, as it foes the most amount of damage to the widest assortment of rrsists to it's dual STAB, while removing Heavy Duty Boots and Leftovers for the team.

:ogerpon-hearthflame::corviknight:
:ss/corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Flying Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Some new adjustment breakdowns for people to note, Justified now serves as Dark typed Storm Drain clone, making it a Knock Off absorber and general blanket check to any offensive Dark type threats And Flying Press is now one of two types depending on which would be more effective (taking STAB and the user's ability into account), being Fighting or Flying. This means that Corviknight has a reliable 100 BP Flying STAB, and consistent 100 BP Fighting type coverage for threats like Kingambit and Magnezone condensed into one slot, giving Corv tons more freedom. Outside of these tools, think of it as just Corviknight. It gives the team a great switchin to Iron Valiant, Kingambit, certain variants of Magearna and the like. Gholdengo is still good, but it's not as popular an option in Vaporemons, making Corv + offensive pressure from its team mates more or less suitable. Its generally just a great ass pivot that can switch around and get in sweepers safely.

:ogerpon-hearthflame::corviknight::iron-hands:
:ss/iron-hands:
Iron Hands @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Photon Drive
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Chain Lightning

This is the team's main sweeper and wallbreaker. Photon Drive and Chain Lightning are the two major distinctions between Hands' role in OU and Vaporemons. Photon Drive is a Quark Drive clone that works for Grassy Terrain, meaning that while active, Hands gets an active Booster Energy buff. Chain Lightning is simply a physical Electric Water Shuriken, effectively granting Hands physical Electric STAB and a priority option in one (when combined with Loaded Dice) making it a very dangerous threat for offense once it gets off a SD. The EVs are the standard from OU, with speed investment being largely unnecessary with it's raw bulk and power in combination with Priority anyway. Iron Hands is so damn bulky and powerful it can trade with literally any physical atta ker in the tier that doesn't hit it for SE damage, and it can even bully a fair amount of weaker special attackers as well. Getting it in and getting off a SD basically meams you get one or two kills. Chain Lightning is just really useful offensive utility to revenge kill many opposing sweepers.

:ogerpon-hearthflame::corviknight::iron-hands::iron-moth:
:ss/iron-Moth:
Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Photon Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball

The team's secondary Terrain Sweeper, and you can imagine it as standard Substitute Moth that took OU by storm. Photon Drive as mentioned before is Quark Drive for GTerrain, which allows Moth to preserve it's Booster Energy as well. Nothing else is that different from standard, it operates as a great cleaner that can clean up teams after getting battered by it's two teammates.

:ogerpon-hearthflame::corviknight::iron-hands::iron-moth::rillaboom:
:ss/Rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Root Pull
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Drain Punch

The lynchpin of the entire operation, Standard Rillaboom, with the only change of Root Pull instead of Drum Beating, which has 10 BP higher, and has the added effect of lowering Flying types speed by -2 instead of -1. I should make it known, in Vaporemons, Shaymin is usually the standard GTerrain setter for teams, but I personally found Rillaboom having so much more utility with Knock Off, U-turn and Root Pull for speed control to be much more useful for an offensive team, as opposed to the more defensive utility that Shaymin is known for. But yeah, Rillaboom sets Terrain, and U-turns around to get in sweepers. I like Drain Punch ofc to damage Steels and heal off some chip damage so it can set Terrains more.

:ogerpon-hearthflame::corviknight::iron-hands::iron-moth::rillaboom::gengar:
:ss/Gengar:
Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp

Now Gengar, this is interesting. I found that a) Toxic Spikes are some of the most broken hazards in the metagame right now, and b) Ghost types, particularly bulky ones, are a pain for the team to break through. Couple that with my desire for something to able to switch into the offensive Rillabooms that can bypass GTerrain + smack around Corv with Close Combat, and Gengar was my only option. Levitate was the obvious choice, as while Neutralizing Gas is very good, the main reason I would want NGas for (Regen disabling) isn't an issue for the team, so Levitate was just generally more useful. I opted for WispHex so it can take full advantage of the defensive switches, and ofc broken Toxic Spikes is broken. I find it best bullying Fairies (especially Fairy Tera Shard Garg) and spreading status.
Major Threats to the Team

:skeledirge:*Skeledirge*:skeledirge:
Skeledirge annoys alot of the team, especially if it is physically defensive, as it can wall the attackers and burn shit easily with Will O Wisp or Rekindle. My best bet I've done is Knock it with Ogerpon (SpD sets take alot of damage actually) then pressure it with Hazards or just the breakers.

*Opposing Terrain*
Small secret, teams centred around other Terrains, particularly Psychic Terrain can bully you hard in the matchup. I run Gengar specifically so I can handke Misty Terrain Iron Valiant better (Iron Valiant gets boosted in Misty Terrain not Electric). For Psychic Terrain its basically trading + Corviknight eating hits is your only hope.

:cinderace:*Cinderace*:Cinderace:

Cinderace apparently rocks? In Vaporemons, Blaze boosts Fire moves by 1.2 by default, and boosts ALL moves by 1.5 at 1/3rd HP or lower, so it makes a powerful attacker. Facing it twice, I've noticed that its a pain to handle. Pyro Ball hurts like a bitch, and since you outpace everything sans Booster Energy Moth, getting free kills is very easy for it.
Replays of Team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009497921
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009470565
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009491163?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009511340?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009440433

Shoutouts
Yoshiblaze for creating, coding and running this Pet Mod, giving players brand new ways to explore and play Pokemon. And for also Beating my ass with Cinderace so much

Beaf Cultist for makin the cringe team that inspired me to build this, and it did a good job of that as well!

Everyone who ever played a single game of Vaporemons on Showdown! Let's make this ladder go sky high!

Thanks for checking this out.

Edit: Changed Drum Beating to Root Pull (thank you SparkRolf)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)