Grumpig (QC 3/3)

oink

[Overview]
  • wow this guy is ugly i should have never evolved spoink
  • 80/65/110 defenses are okay, especially for specially defensive sets
  • 90 SpA and 80 Spe aren't bad either for a defensive pokemon
  • Good movepool (Heal Bell, Trick, Magic Coat, etc)
  • Thick Fat is a great ability as well and makes Grumpig a reliable Magmortar and Jynx check (assuming Jynx has already put something to sleep)
  • No recovery aside from rest really sucks
  • Just keep dark types away and Grumpig won't let you down.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Heal Bell
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Taunt / Focus Blast
move 4: Psychic
item: Leftovers
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • supports ur team
  • Thick Fat gives Grumpig fantastic resistances to Ice and Fire, meaning that Jynx and Magmortar can't really hurt it at all outside of Lovely Kiss from the former.
  • Heal Bell because status sucks
  • Thunder Wave to ruin Magmortar / other special attackers
  • Taunt to prevent Probopass, Bastiodon, Torkoal, etc from really doing anything. Armaldo might just X-Scissor your ass though so watch out.
  • Focus Blast is an alternative option to prevent Absol from using you as set-up fodder.
  • Psychic hits decently off of Grumpig's good SpA.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Specially defensive EV spread because 65 base def isn't too hot even with investment.
  • Reflect is an option to patch up that shitty defense but it's usually preferrable to just pack a physically defensive teammate
  • Psyshock is an option over Psychic to beat Cryogonal and other specially defensive guys.
  • Magic Coat is cool too but Taunt is usually more reliable. Toxic can also be used over Taunt for a dual status set.
  • No recovery - Wish support helps. Alomomola is cool because his huge physical bulk has good synergy with Grumpig's special bulk
  • Also want a teammate to take hits from Dark/Ghost types. Skuntank is a cool guy, as are steel types like Probopass and Bastiodon. They need to watch out for Fighting type moves that Dark types like Absol normally carry though. Other teammates include Tangela, who can take physical hits for Grumpig while Grumpig scares away Tangela's worst enemies Jynx and Magmortar, and Lickilicky, who has good type synergy with Grumpig and can provide it with Wish support. In addition, Grumpig can run Heal Bell for Lickilicky, allowing Lickilicky to use the moveslot for something it normally doesn't have room for like Dragon Tail. Alternatively, Lickilicky can run Heal Bell and Grumpig can run Whirlwind, which is illegal with Heal Bell.

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Taunt / Heal Bell / Thunder Wave
item: Light Clay
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Decent speed, good defenses make Grumpig a competent dual screener.
  • Reflect / Light Screen / Light Clay are obv.
  • Psychic in case you need to hurt something
  • Last slot is pretty versatile. Taunt is good to prevent shit from setting up on you or statusing you, Heal Bell is great if your team needs a cleric, and Thunder Wave is always useful to cripple opposing sweepers.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Specially defensive again
  • Yet again Rest is terrible so Wish support is awesome. Lickilicky is good because he can run Heal Bell so Grumpig has room for Taunt or Thunder Wave.
  • Dark types pls go: Fighting type teammates like Sawk or Throh scare them away, but Ghost types will still be a problem. A dark type of your own, especially Skuntank, can deal with Ghost types with ease.
  • Also want teammates to take advantage of screens: Shell Smashers, Swords Dance Absol, Nasty Plot Raichu, etc.
  • In addition, another screen user can help ensure that screens stay up.

[Other Options]
  • Choice set + Trick
  • Whirlwind is awesome... but it's incompatible with Heal Bell. Fuck.
  • RestTalk
  • Trick Room. Grumpig is kind of fast though so it's better left to the likes of Musharna.
  • Mirror Coat. Lack of recovery means that you better have your prediction shoes on.
  • Calm Mind

[Checks and Counters]
  • Dark types. Skuntank gets special mention because he doesn't really care about Focus Blast that much while Absol gets annihilated by it
  • Bug types - 65 defense isn't taking hits from the likes of Pinsir or offensive Armaldo any time soon.
  • Duosion can set up on any Grumpig variant lacking taunt
  • Taunt, from Misdreavus in particular, will completely shut Grumpig down.

col49

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
CM is nowhere, it makes me sad. Sub-CM is actually a pretty solid set, so long as you don't run it like a poor man's Mesprit. Plus it has the benefit of setting up all over stuff like Jynx, which is neat. If you care for testing it out, I run dis
[SET]
name: Substitute+Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Subsitute
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Signal Beam / Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Psyshock's ok I guess, but it really is only for Licki.

I tested Sub + CM for a little bit (using Focus Blast over Signal Beam) and it was... serviceable. I don't really understand the merits of using it over Mesprit, other than countering Jynx better if you have a Sub up. Mesprit is stronger and a lot bulkier on the physical end, and while it doesn't have Thick Fat, it has Levitate which is also an amazing defensive ability. Mesprit's movepool is superior as well, as he gets Thunderbolt and Ice Beam (he does lack Focus Blast though). I think it's definitely worth an OO mention, but it didn't seem to have enough perks over other CM users to warrant a main set.

Also speaking of not being good enough to warrant a main set I'm having second thoughts about Choice, all it has going for it is surprise value really. I used this set a lot for 4th gen NU but Mesprit wasn't around back then... it definitely is kind of outclassed now.

Is it me or does that dual screen set not look very useful... I mean there are so many other dual screen'ers in NU, and Grumpig doesn't really have any niche over them. It's not that fast, it doesn't have something like Sleep Powder or Encore, it doesn't have U-turn or Volt Switch, it doesn't have a useful supporting move like SR, and it is easily trappable by Pokemon such as Skuntank. Not to mention it faces a ton of competition from Mesprit.

I think you could expand the teammate section a little more. Tangela and Licklicky are the only thing I can think of right off the bat. Tangela appreciates Jynx / Magmortar being disposed of and Tangela can cushion Grumpig from strong physical attacks. Leech Seed recovery is also pretty useful, too. Lickilicky can support Grumpig through Wish and synergises fairly well with Grumpig. Grumpig can also help Lickilicky with its moveslot issues by using Heal Bell for it.

Also, you might want to stress the fact that Grumpig does well against Jynx; Jynx is one of the scariest threats in the current NU meta and having a check for both it and Magmortar in one Pokemon can be useful.

It's a shame Grumpig doesn't have a healing move...

Thick Fat makes Grumpig a decent Mesprit alternative for Dual Screens. Yeah Stealth Rock and U-turn are usually more useful, but it still has a small niche. It's up to QC if it has enough perks over Mesprit to be worth it though.

I added mentions of Tangela and Lickilicky to the first set AC and removed the Choice set. I playtested it and it was really underwhelming, I really don't see any reason at all to run it over Mesprit. Definitely just an OO.

Just to clarify, my main issue is that it doesn't have anything spectacular that differentiates it from other Pokemon with access to dual screens. Mesprit is just the best example of it since they are both very similar.

This has been sitting around for a while, it still needs feedback... right now it's basically a clone of the RU skeleton but it's kind of hard to find things that Grumpig can do better than other Psychic types.

I've been having second thoughts about Calm Mind, Jynx is so damn common that Grumpig may be worth using over Mesprit after all.

k

-mention in the AC of the Screener set that other screeners on the same team help to ensure that screens stay up

-Grumpig cannot beat SubCM Jynx, as it fails to break the Sub with even Focus Blast at +1. That's pretty rare, so it might or might not be worth a mention.

-Hidden Power Ground might be worth a mention in OO to hit both Magmortar and Probopass super effectively at the same time (though this would only be if your strapped for moves, Focus Blast is good enough most of the time). Other Hidden Powers go in OO as well.

-Psyshock lets you beat Cryogonal 1 on 1 among other specially defensive threats - OO stuff mostly, though you can put it in the AC of whatever set and ti would be fine

-Whirlwind and Toxic can go into the AC of the support set for phazing / dual status with Thunder Wave (in the case of Toxic)

And that's all I have to say on that

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i'm cool with natty's changes, and you can keep calm mind in OO for now imo

QC APPROVED (2/3)

Changes made. I didn't mention Hidden Power though because I don't see the point: Psychic is only slightly weaker against Magmortar - (35.4% - 42.3%) compared to (37.1% - 44%).

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've actually been using Grumpig quite a bit as its ability to beat both Magmotar and Jynx is very nice and also provides Taunt and Heal Bell, which Mesprit cannot utilize. Geo already told you to put Psyshock in AC, but while you're at it mention that with Psyshock Grumpig CAN beat any form of Jynx and Psyshock is a 3-4KO doing more to Jynx than Focus Blast, is more reliable, and beats SubCM.

I might even go as far as saying that Psyshock should be slashed with Psychic as it also beats Cryo, Specially Defensive Camerupt(Most of them nowadays), Magmortar which are all things you wall and shouldn't be forced out by without having to attack 4-5 times in Came and Maggy's case or relying on Toxic in Cryo's case. This of course, with QC support backing up the change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)